Author Topic: Behind Her Eyes, netflix  (Read 2691 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Behind Her Eyes, netflix
« on: February 23, 2021, 12:39:26 pm »
Thoughts?

can't stop thinking about it  :o

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Behind Her Eyes, netflix
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 05:08:23 pm »
I wish production companies would get it into their heads that not everything has to be stretched out to its max. This should have been a 3 episode series tops. This didn't justify 5 hrs for what it ended up being.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 05:11:08 pm »
I wish production companies would get it into their heads that not everything has to be stretched out to its max. This should have been a 3 episode series tops. This didn't justify 5 hrs for what it ended up being.

I agree for most of their stuff, but didn't find a problem with it for this series to be honest. thought it built up the suspense perfectly

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 05:13:43 pm »
I agree for most of their stuff, but didn't find a problem with it for this series to be honest. thought it built up the suspense perfectly

By about the opening twenty minutes of episode 3, like Milhouse I wondered when we were getting to the fireworks factory

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 11:24:27 pm »
Christ, first few episodes were such slow burners, It was painful to watch.

So much ‘on the nose’ dialog and extended unnecessary dramatic pauses, I very nearly fucked it off.

Glad I stuck with it though. Script writers got their shit together for a cracking last few episodes and nailed it.

The scenes with Adele and Rob were superb.

Spoiler
Fucking brilliant twist in the last episode too. My jaw hit the floor.
[close]

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 11:39:09 pm »
Thought it was ridiculous, if I’m honest.

Saw the twist coming a mile off.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 10:31:49 am »
Yeah it was all a bit ridiculous to be fair. Can't argue with that.

But I also agree with someone in the TV thread when they said "is generally shit in quite a fun, diversionary way" :)

I suppose it helps that I'm not very good at spotting twists early either.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 10:38:00 am »
It annoyed me because I thought it started so well the first 3 or so episodes, had the makings for a really good drama which could have taken some nice twists and turns based in reality... but then it went the way it did  ;D

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 10:49:07 am »
I tried watching some of this and couldn't do it.

I don't know if it's just me noticing this more, but what is it with the TV makers that decide we need dramatic mood music continuously running through every moment of a show. I get that music can be used to build tension, but it feels to me like its being used as a cheap tool to lead viewers by the nose to some emotional reaction they want the you to have, but they don't have the confidence in the dialogue/acting to get you there without the music.  The mood music never stopped in this show and I found it genuinely off putting.

Whatever happened to good use of silence?  I must be getting old.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 11:07:31 am »

I don't know if it's just me noticing this more, but what is it with the TV makers that decide we need dramatic mood music continuously running through every moment of a show. I get that music can be used to build tension, but it feels to me like its being used as a cheap tool to lead viewers by the nose to some emotional reaction they want the you to have, but they don't have the confidence in the dialogue/acting to get you there without the music.  The mood music never stopped in this show and I found it genuinely off putting.

Its one of the things that annoys me about Chris Nolan films. Backing music at every scene.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 11:09:20 am »

With regards to shows music does add an important layer to a show, but it has to be the right sort of music. I would say most of the shows I watched had continues music running through it but it never got in the way of the show, as it fitted in perfectly. I sort of feel freaked out with shows which don't use music somehow, may have a look at this as it sounds interesting. Not sure what it is about Netflix and its shows having sudden plot twists. I watched another one some time ago which I was really getting into and then they changed the whole concept of the show in one episode and it was baffling.  :o
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 11:17:14 am »
With regards to shows music does add an important layer to a show, but it has to be the right sort of music. I would say most of the shows I watched had continues music running through it but it never got in the way of the show, as it fitted in perfectly. I sort of feel freaked out with shows which don't use music somehow, may have a look at this as it sounds interesting. Not sure what it is about Netflix and its shows having sudden plot twists. I watched another one some time ago which I was really getting into and then they changed the whole concept of the show in one episode and it was baffling.  :o

You are of course right, maybe its just the type of music I hear being used a lot these days, especially in thrillers like this - no subtlety - it feels like its slapping you in the face telling you how you should feel at every moment.  This has though made me think about my favourite film growing up - Goodfellas.  The music never stops for 2.5 hours and is an incredibly important and wonderful part of the film. Guess I am just being harsh.

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 11:20:05 am »
Its one of the things that annoys me about Chris Nolan films. Backing music at every scene.

In his films it can also obscure the baffling dialogue too, making the plot difficult to follow (Tenet springs to mind).

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 11:22:12 am »
You are of course right, maybe its just the type of music I hear being used a lot these days, especially in thrillers like this - no subtlety - it feels like its slapping you in the face telling you how you should feel at every moment.  This has though made me think about my favourite film growing up - Goodfellas.  The music never stops for 2.5 hours and is an incredibly important and wonderful part of the film. Guess I am just being harsh.

I don't think you are being harsh, its just as you say some of the music they use in shows is not always suited to what it is. I watch a lot of fantasy shows and they are always using music, but to me it fits in with the flow of the story, so its not a problem. But for shows like this if they use the wrong type of music that it can really annoy someone. I seem to have an ipod full of soundtracks from my favourite fantasy shows.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 11:34:09 am »
Was wondering what was up with those weird over the shoulder camera shots in the earlier episodes, didn't expect that to be the reason though  ;D

The main lad's Scottish accent was shockingly bad. The other fella's wasn't good either. Famously, there are no talented Scottish actors.

Spoiler
On the twist ending, while I didn't expect Adele to swap bodies with Louise (and then kill her old body) until the scene where it played out, I did twig earlier that Rob was likely in Adele's body. As soon as they did the balls of light and showed how they 'returned' into the person, you knew there could be body swap shenanigans.

They'll definitely do another series I reckon, which I imagine will feature Adele in flashbacks since she was the best part of the show.
[close]

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 07:18:37 pm »
In his films it can also obscure the baffling dialogue too, making the plot difficult to follow (Tenet springs to mind).

It’s one of the things that I hated about The Dark Knight. The music made every single scene feel like a set piece and made me feel like the film was too frenetic.

The one recent film which it wasn’t as prevalent (or that I didn’t notice it as much) was Dunkirk. Probably because the sounds of gunfire and flying planes filled the void.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 09:49:19 am »
Just finished this, didn't see the ending coming at all which was quite nice in a way as I usually guess what twist is coming. All a bit mad but i enjoyed it.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 11:08:21 pm »
It annoyed me because I thought it started so well the first 3 or so episodes, had the makings for a really good drama which could have taken some nice twists and turns based in reality... but then it went the way it did  ;D

Just watched the last 4 episodes and I’m annoyed. Should have just listened to Craig. :D

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 11:45:00 pm »
Fuck me, what a load of shite that was

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19 on: March 1, 2021, 02:19:14 pm »
Should have just listened to Craig. :D

A rule everyone should live by.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: March 1, 2021, 05:55:21 pm »
A rule everyone should live by.

It’s certainly a first for me.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2021, 06:59:36 pm »
Finally got round to this today, binged the whole series as it did a good job of getting you interested in the truth of what actually happened in the past. Ultimately thought it was a cheap pay off though:

Spoiler
why would Rob do a body swap and murder someone to get a person who he met one night in his life? The motive is questionable.
[close]

Did anyone else find a lot of the scenes were visibly hard to see? Lots of the dark scenes at night I couldnt see what the fuck was going on.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2021, 07:51:47 pm »
Dreadful.

Started off ok for first part of first episode, then it went downhill faster than our home form.

Ended up being laughable really.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2021, 02:41:10 am »
Finally got round to this today, binged the whole series as it did a good job of getting you interested in the truth of what actually happened in the past. Ultimately thought it was a cheap pay off though:

Spoiler
why would Rob do a body swap and murder someone to get a person who he met one night in his life? The motive is questionable.
[close]

Did anyone else find a lot of the scenes were visibly hard to see? Lots of the dark scenes at night I couldnt see what the fuck was going on.

Spoiler
he wanted her life, the whole package, he envied it.
[close]

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2021, 08:17:52 am »
Dreadful.

Started off ok for first part of first episode, then it went downhill faster than our home form.

Ended up being laughable really.

Totally agree. Our daughter told me and the missus we ‘had’ to watch this. So we did. Started off ok ish but just dragged on. Well too long with a really silly ending in our opinion. Really wish we hadn’t have stuck with it.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2021, 04:17:01 pm »
Have to disagree with the general consensus in here and say I thought it was alright. Decent, a bit novel in regards to the ending, probably 1-1.5 episodes too long but generally an enjoyable watch that ended with some concepts that I did not anticipate at all would form the basis of the story and pivot of the plot.

Bad, bad, Scottish accent by Tom Bateman, it must be said.

Overall not bad though.

Spoiler
I do an I don't agree on it seeming a bit over the top that Rob would murder Adele. He was vocally envious of her life from day one and also seemed to be very erratic in his behaviours (as heroin addicts are wont to be) and compulsive. Yes he didn't know David long, but the prolonged, lingering stares that were initially taken for jealousy were easily transcribed as longing/lust when reframed. The whole focus on David when he projected into the bedroom when he was spearing Adele gave some hint. As such, I believed it to be vaguely plausible and also made the subsequent events and the desperate need to hang on to David that bit more understandable.
[close]

Some interesting concepts and relatively well executed. I mildly enjoyed it anyway.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2021, 04:23:21 pm »
He just...talked...so very...slowly.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2021, 05:47:32 pm »
Have to disagree with the general consensus in here and say I thought it was alright. Decent, a bit novel in regards to the ending, probably 1-1.5 episodes too long but generally an enjoyable watch that ended with some concepts that I did not anticipate at all would form the basis of the story and pivot of the plot.

Bad, bad, Scottish accent by Tom Bateman, it must be said.

Overall not bad though.

Spoiler
I do an I don't agree on it seeming a bit over the top that Rob would murder Adele. He was vocally envious of her life from day one and also seemed to be very erratic in his behaviours (as heroin addicts are wont to be) and compulsive. Yes he didn't know David long, but the prolonged, lingering stares that were initially taken for jealousy were easily transcribed as longing/lust when reframed. The whole focus on David when he projected into the bedroom when he was spearing Adele gave some hint. As such, I believed it to be vaguely plausible and also made the subsequent events and the desperate need to hang on to David that bit more understandable.
[close]

Some interesting concepts and relatively well executed. I mildly enjoyed it anyway.

Good post and I agree with all of it. 

Funny how different peoples conceptions of things are though. I thought it started awfully and got better.  I didn't see the twist coming either unlike some of the all-seeing Sage's on here did. :)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2021, 06:10:12 pm »
Good post and I agree with all of it. 

Funny how different peoples conceptions of things are though. I thought it started awfully and got better.  I didn't see the twist coming either unlike some of the all-seeing Sage's on here did. :)

I didn’t see the twist coming. I was just annoyed by it. :D Went from being an interesting if standard kind of thriller where you were wondering what was going to be revealed to being a bit like “what a load of shite”. In my usually poor opinion!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2021, 06:25:23 pm »
I didn’t see the twist coming. I was just annoyed by it. :D Went from being an interesting if standard kind of thriller where you were wondering what was going to be revealed to being a bit like “what a load of shite”. In my usually poor opinion!

To be fair Nick there are more of yous saying its crap

So its probably just me and Drinks Sangria who are tasteless fools :)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2021, 06:25:56 pm »
To be fair Nick there are more of yous saying its crap

So its probably just me and Drinks Sangria who are tasteless fools :)

Well, we know you are. But DS normally speaks sense so who knows.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2021, 06:44:06 pm »
No, I speak an awful lot of shite!!

One thing I will say is that I don’t know how much appetite I’d have for a second season if they ever made it.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2021, 07:11:14 pm »
Well, we know you are. But DS normally speaks sense so who knows.

:lmao

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2021, 08:33:22 am »
Watched the first 4 episodes now and to be honest, its crap. Missus says stick with it because its supposed to get better from episode 3, but I just feel like I've wasted time with this.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2021, 11:55:15 am »
Bono's daughter is a good actress.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2021, 11:57:37 am »
Easy on the eyes too. Didn't realise she was Bono's daughter. Went to Tisch too.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2021, 02:51:00 pm »
Easy on the eyes too. Didn't realise she was Bono's daughter. Went to Tisch too.
Didn't you watch the show? She moved in mysterious ways

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2021, 02:53:50 pm »
Didn't you watch the show? She moved in mysterious ways
Don't be So Cruel.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2021, 04:22:51 pm »

Looks better with the long hair. I only found out she was Bonos kid when I googled her as I was sure I'd seen her somewhere before.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2021, 05:23:59 pm »

She was brilliant in "The Knick".  Massively underrated show that was.