Author Topic: Tony Pulis has left Stoke (and Palace now)  (Read 60529 times)

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
Re: Tony Pulis has left Stoke (and Palace now)
« Reply #440 on: August 15, 2014, 09:18:12 am »
Pulis will be West Brom manager by christmas, unless Swansea start badly

Not a chance he'll end up at Swansea. They've implemented a philosophy over the last decade or so that has served them incredibly well. Pulis, despite the positive attributes that he does offer, is a world away from that. It'd take Swansea to abandon that consistent approach for Pulis to even be considered and frankly, they'd be foolish to do so.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #441 on: August 15, 2014, 09:25:33 am »
Villa is a good shout. Serious outsiders for many but their nothingness the last years may cost them a place in the PL. They have flirted with relegation the last couple of years, haven't they?
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: August 15, 2014, 09:28:47 am »
Leicester for me look the most likely out of the promoted teams to go straight down, despite winning the Championship last season.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: August 15, 2014, 09:44:48 am »
January 2015

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #444 on: August 15, 2014, 09:59:54 am »
Not a fan of Kelly then?

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #445 on: August 15, 2014, 10:35:08 am »
Hope he never gets a job in PL again but I doubt that will happen. Him and Big Sam type manager will always be in demand.

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #446 on: August 15, 2014, 10:53:01 am »
Awful for Palace because Pulis was absolutely perfect for them.....he won't be short of suitors though. Next villa or West Brom manager for me

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #447 on: August 15, 2014, 11:07:29 am »
Awful for Palace because Pulis was absolutely perfect for them.....he won't be short of suitors though. Next villa or West Brom manager for me

Great shout, wouldn't be suprised if this has happened by November

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #448 on: August 15, 2014, 11:13:05 am »
Hope he never gets a job in PL again but I doubt that will happen. Him and Big Sam type manager will always be in demand.

He'll rejoin the managerial merry-go-round that consistently throws up the same names time after time.

In fairness to 'those' types of managers (Allardyce, Pulis, Hodgson etc) they're not bad managers, per se, and they are effective at what they do. If survival and/or consolidation is your priority, regardless of style, and your ambitions don't edge beyond that then the three I mentioned will give you that, without a doubt. It's really if expectation in terms of either style or ambition are altered/raised that they're found wanting. Moyes is similar in that respect. It's the reason that Hodgson was seen as a resounding success at Fulham and Switzerland, but a catastrophe at Liverpool and (eventually/inevitably) England.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:15:07 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: August 15, 2014, 11:23:02 am »
He'll rejoin the managerial merry-go-round that consistently throws up the same names time after time.

In fairness to 'those' types of managers (Allardyce, Pulis, Hodgson etc) they're not bad managers, per se, and they are effective at what they do. If survival and/or consolidation is your priority, regardless of style, and your ambitions don't edge beyond that then the three I mentioned will give you that, without a doubt. It's really if expectation in terms of either style or ambition are altered/raised that they're found wanting. Moyes is similar in that respect. It's the reason that Hodgson was seen as a resounding success at Fulham and Switzerland, but a catastrophe at Liverpool and (eventually/inevitably) England.

To be fair the Hodge got to a UEFA cup final
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #450 on: August 15, 2014, 11:32:48 am »
To be fair the Hodge got to a UEFA cup final

Indeed, but it was entirely unexpected. If that level of performance was to be expected of him on a consistant basis then you'd find him desperately trying to reduce that in any way he possibly could, and ultimately, he'd fall short - as he has done in every 'big' job (with those higher expectations) he's found himself in. The style of football that these managers advocate is not without it's advantages, but it also has a relatively low glass ceiling in my opinion, that prevents them as managers from ever being likely to achieve success* on a consistent basis. It's the reason that you don't see them linked with the truly top jobs when they become available. Unless of course, you have an idiot like Purslow (or the FA) involved.

*Success is relative to the club and it's resources of course, but i'm referring here to consistently challenging for honours.
Twitter | Blog

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: August 15, 2014, 11:35:57 am »
Wonder if he would consider becoming a coach for us haha.  Would sort our defense out for sure.
Who says fatties can't play football.......

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: August 15, 2014, 11:38:04 am »
Palace are just plain stupid to let him go. Hope they go down anyway, not fond of them.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #453 on: August 15, 2014, 11:40:22 am »
Great shout, wouldn't be suprised if this has happened by November

I hope he doesn't go to Villa, because I want them relegated.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #454 on: August 15, 2014, 11:41:02 am »
I wonder if Martin Kelly was one of the players didn't want? :-\

Offline Tommy Torres

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: August 15, 2014, 12:07:46 pm »

I wondered that too but I also felt sorry for Kelly as you would expect that part of the reason he agreed to the move was because of Pulis and what he did last year with Palace.
There's only one Sergio Torres

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #456 on: August 15, 2014, 12:22:49 pm »
I wondered that too but I also felt sorry for Kelly as you would expect that part of the reason he agreed to the move was because of Pulis and what he did last year with Palace.

In one of his opening interviews with the club he actually stated that he was looking forward to working with Pulis.
Twitter | Blog

Offline luckyluke

• A proponent of intercourse during accelerated perambulation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super bonanza extravaganza
« Reply #457 on: August 15, 2014, 12:25:18 pm »
Why?

Offline Dick_Emre

• Kopite
« Reply #458 on: August 15, 2014, 12:28:35 pm »
Newcastle are a good outside bet for the drop.
They have replaced a right back, like for like but have (so far) otherwise not bothered to strengthen a defence that has conceded 3 goals or more on numerous occasions this year.

Add that to the fact that they have signed unproven strikers like Ferreyre, Riviere and Perez and signed no marks like Jack Colback and there we have a reason as to why NUFC could be the "surprise" package for relegation.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:31:56 pm by Dick_Emre »
#PardewForEngland

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: August 15, 2014, 12:54:56 pm »
Palace are just plain stupid to let him go. Hope they go down anyway, not fond of them.

Surely the chairman has a responsibility to protect the long term viability of the club & only spend what they can afford? If Pulis doesn't like it & would rather walk then they are better off without him regardless of how well he has done. Short term thinking has ruined clubs before

He won't end up at Villa, they have already appointed there next manager as no2. It's Roy Keane, this seasons Mulensteen

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #460 on: August 15, 2014, 01:06:51 pm »
Newcastle are a good outside bet for the drop.
They have replaced a right back, like for like but have (so far) otherwise not bothered to strengthen a defence that has conceded 3 goals or more on numerous occasions this year.

Add that to the fact that they have signed unproven strikers like Ferreyre, Riviere and Perez and signed no marks like Jack Colback and there we have a reason as to why NUFC could be the "surprise" package for relegation

I take it Pardew's off your Xmas card list then mate? :)

I reckon Newcastle will be ok. Your results will be up and down like a jockey's bollocks as per last season but I think your squad is still better than Villa's for example.

I personally think they're in big trouble, Benteke isn't back yet, they've signed Joe bloody Cole and Kieran Richardson and our old mate Aly Cissokho. Plus there's the added headache of Roy Keane in their dressing room now.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #461 on: August 15, 2014, 01:23:15 pm »
I reckon Newcastle will be ok.

Same for me. That Newcastle squad performed pretty well in the first half of last season as well, up until Cabaye's departure and the downing of tools that subsequently followed, so  you know they're capable if attidudes are right. The signings they've made at least have some sort of longevity in them (assuming they work out) as well, unlike Villa with the likes of Joe Cole (34 in November), as well as Kieran Richardson and Phillipe Senderos (who both turn 30 during the course of this season). All high earners on the wrong side of the hill. I know who I fancy for the drop of those two, and it's not Newcastle.

Add that to the fact that they have signed unproven strikers like Ferreyre, Riviere and Perez and signed no marks like Jack Colback and there we have a reason as to why NUFC could be the "surprise" package for relegation.

I actually quite like Colback. Whenever i've seen him he's looked solid. Good work rate with a bit of quality about him too. He's also a Geordie, isn't he? You'd expect him to give absolutely everything for you with that in mind, which can only be a positive thing.

And i'd rather have unproven with potential than a selection of overpaid ageing pro's at the wrong end of their careers (ala Villa).
Twitter | Blog

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #462 on: August 15, 2014, 01:27:52 pm »

I doubt that, all the Palace fans seem extremely happy with the signing.

Anyone else think that Pulis is a little out of order doing this 2 days before the start of a new season?Even the beginning of last week would have allowed them longer to address the issue.

Oh, and I've always hated his hat.
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: August 15, 2014, 06:32:50 pm »
tony pulis is an absolute dick head. one fewer of them managing in the premier league is a good thing, however one more of them offering their opinions for the tv anytime they can is a bad thing

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #464 on: August 17, 2014, 07:16:58 pm »
tony pulis is an absolute dick head. one fewer of them managing in the premier league is a good thing, however one more of them offering their opinions for the tv anytime they can is a bad thing
Totally agree. Can't believe anyone is siding with the ballsack. Walking out on the eve of the season is a shitty thing to do and I don't care about mitigating circumstances. He's had all summer to do it, why wait until now? So he is fresh on everybody's mind when the next job becomes available no doubt. Fucking loves himself this fella. Wanker.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #465 on: August 17, 2014, 07:28:36 pm »
Totally agree. Can't believe anyone is siding with the ballsack. Walking out on the eve of the season is a shitty thing to do and I don't care about mitigating circumstances. He's had all summer to do it, why wait until now? So he is fresh on everybody's mind when the next job becomes available no doubt. Fucking loves himself this fella. Wanker.
Yeah, leave the club while his stock is still sky-high so he can properly cash in with a bigger and better contract at the first medium-sized PL club to panic.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #466 on: August 17, 2014, 08:48:56 pm »
Chairman reckons "There was a good transfer budget agreed. There was a lack of targets the manager felt were good enough in the window and it came to a point where he felt he could not carry on. "

Adam 4mill
Nzonzi 3 mill
Crouch 10mill
Palacios 8mill
Jerome 4 mill
Jones 8 mill
Tuncay 5mill
Kitson 5mill
Tonge 2.5mill

Those were some of his picks at Stoke, he nevers spends lots on a player, but spends lots on players. Usually only about 1 of his transfers will get near the first team too.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: August 17, 2014, 09:09:39 pm »
He had a higher net spend than us in his 5 years at Stoke, and after 2 or 3 years they just started to drop lower and lower

"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #468 on: August 17, 2014, 10:23:41 pm »
Rumours on Twitter that Tim Sherwood is close to taking the job. :butt
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #469 on: August 17, 2014, 10:40:16 pm »
Rumours on Twitter that Tim Sherwood is close to taking the job. :butt
What an awful appointment that would be. He has no clue how to set up a team defensively against better sides, which would be near enough against any team in the league for Palace. They'll be relegation favourites with the bookies the moment he signs that contract.

I wouldn't mind it though, he adds a bit of comic relief compared to some of the other boring managers who never say anything interesting, like Pulis, Lambert, or Bruce for example. It's not like he's gonna get as much tv coverage as he did last season either so won't be an overdose either.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: August 18, 2014, 06:48:09 am »
He isn't going to Villa, they already hired their next manager and he is Irish, and a c*nt.
Also, I would take much perverse pleasure in watching Sherwood trying to weave his magic at Palace. The look of bafflement on his face as they are torn apart when he doesn't have some quality players to get him results despite his coaching will be great, as would the media's attempts to still paint him as a talented young coach.
Although Kelly would deserve better.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #471 on: August 18, 2014, 08:17:23 am »
I hope Sherwood gets it...would be good to see him back in the Premier League...something weirdly fascinating about him and his slightly unhinged persona....he's like a young John Sitton  ;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #472 on: August 18, 2014, 08:37:12 am »
I'd love to see Sherwood get another round in the league. The first go was beyond hilarious.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: August 18, 2014, 09:09:24 am »
I'd love to see Sherwood get another round in the league. The first go was beyond hilarious.

Yeah. The joys of the Sherwood era still live with me to this very day.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #474 on: August 18, 2014, 10:25:33 am »
I hope Sherwood gets it...would be good to see him back in the Premier League...something weirdly fascinating about him and his slightly unhinged persona....he's like a young John Sitton  ;D
'I run this fucking football until the fucking circus upstairs tells me otherwise...

And you you little c*nt when I tell you to do something, and you you big c*nt when I tell you to do something... FUCKING DO IT!!

Don't you know how profound that is, have you not examined the fucking words?'
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #475 on: August 18, 2014, 11:12:42 am »
'I run this fucking football until the fucking circus upstairs tells me otherwise...

And you you little c*nt when I tell you to do something, and you you big c*nt when I tell you to do something... FUCKING DO IT!!

Don't you know how profound that is, have you not examined the fucking words?'

brilliant  ;D ...watched it again recently and its still a belter  .....I have a strange respect for him and uber-belligerence......if an actor had tried to deliver that half time 'pep' talk he'd have had to rehearse it for weeks!

'and you can bring your fucking dinner. 'Cos by the time I've finished with you, you'll fucking need it' ....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #476 on: August 19, 2014, 02:10:09 pm »
Malky Mackay confirmed as Palace manager today, apparently.

Could be a good choice, I think.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #477 on: August 19, 2014, 02:11:22 pm »
Basically it tells you the Palace board have no plan for how they want to play football.

Holloway to Pulis to Malky.

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: August 19, 2014, 02:16:30 pm »
Basically it tells you the Palace board have no plan for how they want to play football.
Holloway to Pulis to Malky.
Surely surviving the drop takes precedent to style. Clearly they do & did have a plan. Win ugly with Pulis then get rid.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: August 19, 2014, 02:19:04 pm »
Malky's Cardiff was tough team to beat. Fairly well organized and decent in attack, they probably could have have avoided the drop with him.