Author Topic: Tony Pulis has left Stoke (and Palace now)  (Read 60525 times)

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Tony Pulis has left Stoke
« Reply #320 on: May 30, 2013, 04:43:59 pm »
How can you tell? His record so far has been not so flattering. And that's an understatement.

If he keeps up his record in the above post then he'll take them to 50 points which would be 8 more than this season.

I can sort of see the thinking behind the appointment, if they brought in someone to do something radical like tell the players to pass the ball on the ground then they would have to replace every member of their squad and Ryan Shotton & Andy Wilkinson would probably have to retire from professional football which would be a shame. I think Hughes should be able to keep them in the league and improve their style very, very slightly. Who knows maybe after a few years they can let him go and replace him with a more cultured manager like an O'Neill or even a Hodgson.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #321 on: May 30, 2013, 04:47:06 pm »
mental isn't it.
surely they could have found a good young manager in Spain or Italy or Germany who would relish the chance at a PL job?
or even an ambitious manager from a lower league who was on the up.
instead it's the same old faces who get dragged out to earn a fortune.

Yep, same old names come up when there's a vacancy and they're unemployed:

-O'Neill
-Hughes
-Bruce
-Redknapp
-McCarthy
-Allardyce
-Phil fucking Brown

Stoke had a real opportunity to turn their club around, not just for next year but years down the road. They realized Pulis wasn't going to be the man to take them anywhere beyond mediocrity and thuggery, so they sack him. Brave and ballsy. But then they turn around and hire Mark Hughes?? Why? Why fire Pulis if you're only going to make a change that will- at best- move your club laterally? Posters have listed a myriad of available, energetic managers who would have breathed new life into the club. (Blanc, Poyet, Zola, etc.) But instead they get... Leslie Mark Hughes? A man who has managed 4 EPL clubs in 9 years. A man whose "best" managerial years were at the start of those 9 years? It reeks of either a lack of intelligence on the part of the Stoke board or a lack of ambition. Or both.

They had dreams of getting Rafa. They wake up to find they got Mark Hughes.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #322 on: May 30, 2013, 04:48:09 pm »
If he keeps up his record in the above post then he'll take them to 50 points which would be 8 more than this season.

I can sort of see the thinking behind the appointment, if they brought in someone to do something radical like tell the players to pass the ball on the ground then they would have to replace every member of their squad and Ryan Shotton & Andy Wilkinson would probably have to retire from professional football which would be a shame. I think Hughes should be able to keep them in the league and improve their style very, very slightly. Who knows maybe after a few years they can let him go and replace him with a more cultured manager like an O'Neill or even a Hodgson.

I nearly choked on a piece of chewing gum then, you shit.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: May 30, 2013, 04:57:36 pm »
If they limit money he can spend then he may do quite well. Those are the sort of times where he seems to thrive and get teams to midtable quite comfortably. Give him money as Man City and QPR did, he becomes less careful with transfers and doesn't form the cohesive sides he did for Wales, Blackburn and Fulham. However I can't see, even then, him being a good long term choice, once he has them stable in midtable for a few seasons they may need to look elsewhere.

If he gets money to spend, Stoke are doomed. It is a pity they didn't go something more imaginative like others here have said.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #324 on: May 30, 2013, 05:31:15 pm »
Why fire Pulis if you're only going to make a change that will- at best- move your club laterally? Posters have listed a myriad of available, energetic managers who would have breathed new life into the club. (Blanc, Poyet, Zola, etc.) But instead they get... Leslie Mark Hughes?

couldnt agree with this more

a pretty tired sadly shitty predictable choice of a man tarred and feathered out of QPR for highly questionable transfer dealings with his agent

its interesting that southampton and sunderland did OK with 'edgy' appointments

reading and QPR went straight down with there traditional appointments

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #325 on: May 30, 2013, 07:09:42 pm »
I reckon they could be in a lot of trouble since Hughes is likely to alter their playing style and several of their players prefer thuggery to footy. He needs a solid start because if they end in in the drop zone early, they're unlikely to get out IMO.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #326 on: May 30, 2013, 07:17:22 pm »
Amazing outburst by Tony Pulis attacking Alex Ferguson, the LMA,  the FA and Manchester United and the bias inherent in the English game

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: May 30, 2013, 07:28:55 pm »
Mark Hughes must be amazing at job interviews. I thought Stoke were hoping to move on to better things, sacking Pulis and replacing him with Hughes just seems pointless.

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: May 31, 2013, 02:07:22 am »
Couldn't be happier with this appointment. Hope they get relegated.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: May 31, 2013, 04:21:16 am »
Tony - Don't make any rash decisions Stoke will be calling you mid October.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #330 on: May 31, 2013, 06:20:14 am »
Right off to the bookies to lay my money on Stoke being relegated.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #331 on: May 31, 2013, 04:59:34 pm »
There was a nice comment on twitter. Mark Hughes said he would be proving some people wrong at stoke.

Those people being the people that put their faith and trust in him

Offline Jehst1979

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: May 31, 2013, 05:30:58 pm »
Mark Hughes, massively shite manager, Stoke, bunch of thugs with inbred fans, a match made in heaven, now fuck off back to the Championship and don't come back

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #333 on: May 31, 2013, 06:39:16 pm »
I think some in here may have to eat their words this time next year. Not saying he's going to transform them into world beaters but you watch, he will do well.

Hmm...

See, I can see him doing a 'decent' job. By which I mean I think he'll keep them up with reasonable comfort (more so than this season, but no different to what Pulis managed every other season).

I don't think he's an utterly horrendous manager, I just think he's as close to Tony Pulis as you could find.

He's an angry, ungracious Welshman who moans about referees and whose teams are fucking vile shitehouses. The football he plays is frankly no different to what Pulis was playing when he took them to the FA Cup final with Etherington and Pennant. They'll play nothing 'sexier' than Pulis at his most 'progressive'. They probably won't sink to the depths of Pulis at his worst, but it's still not a huge move away in football terms.

Their whole plan seems to bank on him finding another Dembele (or Kompany or Zabaleta). A Samba or McCarthy is far more likely.

Honestly, I think they'll end up exactly like his Blackburn teams. They'll be safe in mid table, horrible to play against, not as horrible to watch as Pulis' teams but hardly worth celebrating. ... Although I fully expect a season of Stoke fans jumping up and down to point out how the quality of football there will have improved.

Arsed.

The problem is, unless you've got some sort of dynasty to continue or a tradition to maintain, usually you want a new manager to instil a bit of hope in you. You want to be able to get behind something and be excited about the type of football you're going to play.  Stoke haven't done that... They've brought in a marginally more subtle, "palatable" version of their current knuckle dragging neanderthal.

There's no fucking joy in this.

I always thought of Stoke fans as Pulis' own personal Volksstrum, every week spending their money, shuffling along dutifully to their death, or whatever it is that having a Stoke season ticket is.

Hughes' appointment is like someone has rolled up to the Reichstag of the Long Ball in a US tank, only for Goebels to pop his head out to greet the slavish fucking Descent looking twats that populate the Britannia.

Not that Hughes is Goebels really. ... Just shit. And another moaning Welsh arse compensating for what we all assume is tiny fucking manhood, with up and at 'em displays of blood and thunder, kick the shit out of them, pat Robbie Savage on the back and blue rinse your hair instead of donning a chav grandads headwear, football.

Fuck that. LET'S GET STUCK IN EARLY DOORS
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:48:34 pm by Juan Loco »
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #334 on: July 2, 2013, 07:58:08 pm »
With some of his signings and rumoured interests, it looks as if he is going to try and drastically change their playing style from the off.

Should be interesting to see what they bring to the first game of the season, whoever that is against......

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: July 2, 2013, 07:59:34 pm »
With some of his signings and rumoured interests, it looks as if he is going to try and drastically change their playing style from the off.

Should be interesting to see what they bring to the first game of the season, whoever that is against......

Hahaha yeah. Takes time to adjust to a different way of playing, technically, tactically, players mentality who aren't used to it, especially a team like them. Glad we've got them first game.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: July 2, 2013, 08:04:45 pm »
Most of his players would have played under different systems through the youth squads and in other professional teams. Adapting to what he wants from them will take some time, but they're not starting entirely from scratch.

How far he can take them, that will depend on his qualities, I think he will do an ok job, without being a big improvement on Pulis's best seasons.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #337 on: July 3, 2013, 06:46:27 pm »
Most of his players would have played under different systems through the youth squads and in other professional teams. Adapting to what he wants from them will take some time, but they're not starting entirely from scratch.

How far he can take them, that will depend on his qualities, I think he will do an ok job, without being a big improvement on Pulis's best seasons.

It's not about the systems. It's about the technical demands of the system. If Hughes wants Stoke to play a better technical game, he needs to replace a few of the players. But you're right, a lot of them will only need some time to return to playing the way they played at other clubs before.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: July 4, 2013, 02:21:20 am »
Never thought I'd see the day a player swaps the Camp Nou for the Britannia.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: July 31, 2013, 01:31:04 am »
Watching them at the moment and they are actually trying to PASS the ball, strange to see. 2-0 up and they look ok, glad we've got them first game of the season though, you can tell they are struggling with the passing and even against very poor opposition they are losing the ball a lot when even slightly pressured, our high pressing game should suit that.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: August 9, 2013, 03:06:06 pm »
Is Adam going to play? As we all know Charlie doesn't like to be pressed and if they're playing the ball a long the floor it could be a demoralizing game for him if we can get Lucas, Allen and Gerrard in his face.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: August 9, 2013, 08:58:40 pm »
US international striker Juan Agudelo signs a pre-contract agreement with Stoke City to join on 1 January.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: May 5, 2014, 10:23:45 pm »
On a side note, we still haven't beaten a team managed by this man at home. He's really starting to annoy me now. Where was that level of effort against City?
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #343 on: May 5, 2014, 10:24:48 pm »
On a side note, we still haven't beaten a team managed by this man at home. He's really starting to annoy me now. Where was that level of effort against City?

As soon as City were 2 up they took control of the game, Palace weren't ever getting back into that one.  Helps if you can bring on a couple of 30 million pound players though.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: May 5, 2014, 10:38:06 pm »

Thought we beat Stoke in the carling cup at their home ground a few seasons back?

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #345 on: May 5, 2014, 10:42:33 pm »

As soon as City were 2 up they took control of the game, Palace weren't ever getting back into that one.  Helps if you can bring on a couple of 30 million pound players though.

And the crowd aren't acting like it's the champs league final
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #346 on: May 5, 2014, 10:45:07 pm »
I thought  we were naive AGAIN  a less naive team would have tried to kill the game and MAYBE nick another - not go all out trying to score more nothing to do with 30m players 
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: May 5, 2014, 10:49:30 pm »

Come off it, we let them back into the game, City just saw it out.

Pulis doesn't have some anti liverpool conspiracy
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #348 on: May 5, 2014, 11:13:54 pm »
And the crowd aren't acting like it's the champs league final

To be fair, as someone pointed out in another thread earlier, fans of nearly every team hate us.

Go on the message boards of any team and all of them show a dislike towards us. I'd say we're the most hated team in the League, maybe level with Chelsea and the Red Mancs.

It shouldn't be a surprise that fans are buoyant and aggressive when we're in town.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #349 on: May 5, 2014, 11:24:06 pm »
I thought they Palace fans were fairly quiet once we got into the lead, they were making a racket at the start of the match, but that tailed off when we were bossing it.  The noise level only went up when they got their first goal.

But when they do get going they really go for it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: May 5, 2014, 11:47:24 pm »

I hope you don't think if we were leaders by even a point,we would have pushed that hard and leave space in the defense while up 3-0?

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: August 14, 2014, 06:43:45 pm »
Could be leaving Palace tonight!  :o

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david  14m
#CPFC Pulis & Parish holding crisis talks in London. Tension between pair heightened, mainly re signings. TP could go before #AFC opener Sat

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #352 on: August 14, 2014, 06:44:30 pm »
Could be leaving Palace tonight!  :o

Bet he doesn't.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: August 14, 2014, 06:55:54 pm »
I was about to say if Pulis does leave Palace he's nailed on for the first job that becomes available in the Premier League this season.

Then again I doubt Man Utd would want him!

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: August 14, 2014, 06:57:46 pm »
Good stuff!

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: August 14, 2014, 07:42:11 pm »
Palace are mental. He was actually turning them in to a decent team.

Offline tanvir

• Kopite
« Reply #357 on: August 14, 2014, 07:49:05 pm »
Coady signs for Huddersfield - manager sacked
Kells signs for Palace - manager sacked

Can we sell someone to West Ham?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #358 on: August 14, 2014, 07:51:56 pm »
Shame Utd won't sign anyone off us.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #359 on: August 14, 2014, 07:56:30 pm »
Can't really blame Pulis for getting pissed off. He had his targets and wanted to progress on the back of last season but the club haven't really backed him very strongly by only bringing in Campbell and Kelly. They'll get relegated without him if he leaves.