Author Topic: The Jurgen Klopp Draft - Discussion thread  (Read 10464 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
The Jurgen Klopp Draft - Discussion thread
« on: March 13, 2024, 01:35:29 pm »
Okay, the time is upon us. This will be a special celebratory draft in honour of the great man stepping down end of season. Planning to start this in the international break.

Below are 11 facts and stats linking to the life and career of Jurgen Klopp. Your job is to cross them off one by one (like a shopping list) until you have 11 players.

All-time draft. You can complete the list below in any order. Klopp himself is ineligible!

Ultimate Draft Research guide (mostly for the newbies) -

Most important of all: Do not draft a goalie early

[1] A player who played for Liverpool in one of our 6 European Cup/Champions League wins (must have appeared in the final).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_European_Cup_final
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_European_Cup_final
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_European_Cup_final
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_European_Cup_final
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_UEFA_Champions_League_final
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_UEFA_Champions_League_final

[2] A German player with blond hair.

Google images is your friend: "player name" + "blond" or just look up squad pictures of German world cup teams

[3] A player who wore the 19 shirt at pro level (must provide picture evidence of them visibly wearing the number in a match)

International tournament squads are very handy. e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_1996_squads

You can search by squad numbers for specific clubs/nations on transfermarkt too - https://www.transfermarkt.com/england/rueckennummern/verein/3299

Failing that there's trusty google images. Don't forget, you also need a picture as proof they actually wore the shirt in match

[4] A player who has/had a height of at least 191cm OR a player who was born in 1967.

This one mainly involves Wiki-ing random footballers you think might be tall, but for the birth year you can also search pretty effectively via International tournament squads as above. Try googling footballers over xx height as well. Though be careful as some of the sources are inaccurate. Wiki is always our main source here.

[5] A player who played under Klopp at any of his clubs (Mainz, Dortmund, Liverpool).

I mean, if you don't know this then you probably shouldn't be in this draft. Dibs on the Mainz players.

[6] A player with an iconic goal or trophy celebration (video, picture or a good account required as evidence)

Loads of youtube comps out there. I'll be pretty lenient here too, just as long as it's not something incredible droll and unmemorable. But just as example, Kenny's simple two arms in the air is iconic in my mind. Loads more Liverpool ones we should all remember too.

[7] A European player who made at least 325 league appearances for one club.

Hot tip: Defenders and goalies tend not to switch clubs as much as forwards.

One club men is another good search avenue. Wiki here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_one-club_men_in_association_football

[8] Klopp often cites Arrigo Sacchi as one of his main footballing influences. Pick a player who played under him at club or International level.

If you search him via transfermarkt and navigate to players used, you'll find a list of every player he has managed.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/arrigo-sacchi/eingesetzteSpieler/trainer/2728/plus/0?saison_id=&verein_id=5&liga=&wettbewerb_id=

[9] A player who has appeared in a TV advert, but NOT for Pepsi, Coca-Cola, or any sports brand (including Fifa, PES etc). Please provide video, GIF or picture evidence.

This one is mostly luck. Youtube your favourite players and hope you find an advert with them in it. Loads can be found with other drinks companies or banks or cars etc. Surprisingly there are some all time great players who appear to be in no ads at all, but there are loads more who have been in plenty. Bonus points to whoever finds the weirdest one.

[10] A player who went onto manage a club team he once played for (e.g. you could pick Xabi Alonso Paisley who both played for and managed Liverpool)

There are some very obvious ones you should know, but also a lot of surprising ones. Wiki is your friend. You can also google it and find plenty of useful lists.

[11] And finally, pick a player who represents Klopp's ideology of "Heavy Metal" football (you may not pick any previous or current Klopp players)

Think about what players Klopp likes or fit his system. This round is almost a gimme. Just don't pick Le Tissier and you'll be grand.

As a final twist, because Klopp teams are not about individuals/superstars, a top 20 list of all-timers will be banned for this draft. In spoilers here:

Spoiler
BAN LIST
Messi
Ronaldo
Maradona
Pelé
Cruyff
Best
Garrincha
Beckenbauer
Zidane
Matthaus
C. Ronaldo
Eusebio
Ronaldinho
G. Muller
Di Stefano
Puskas
Xavi
Zico
Platini
Laudrup
[close]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 05:57:57 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: The Jurgen Klopp Draft - Sign-up in here
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 01:39:58 pm »
These were the sign-ups in the other thread, but if you could re-confirm you're all good to start this next Monday that would be great -

Samie √ + Prof
Popcorn √
Tubby √
Draex √
Lastrador √
Red1977 √
Hazell √
Bobby √
Sarge √
child-in-time √
Max √
RobbieRedman √
Drinks Sangria √
Musketeer Gripweed √
surfer √
Air Jota √

16 drafters woohoo!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 12:17:43 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 01:42:47 pm »
Also, if any rules want tweaking then now is the time to say something. The ban list isn't definitive and I deliberately left out some players who fit in one specific category.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 03:03:41 pm »
I'm in, I love the ban list.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 03:58:24 pm »
I'm in, I love the ban list.

Thought it might be a nice change to take the big guns out of the equation  :)

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 04:49:06 pm »
Yeah I am down too. Lets do this  8)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 05:48:50 pm »
Thanks for putting this together Betty.

On the last category, that's a bit subjective so I suppose anything goes and it's up to voters to decide whether someone like Matt Le Tissier embodies heavy metal football.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 05:51:01 pm »
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 05:53:38 pm »
Half of me is in

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 06:06:55 pm »

On the last category, that's a bit subjective so I suppose anything goes and it's up to voters to decide whether someone like Matt Le Tissier embodies heavy metal football.

It was a lot of fun coming up with these  :)

Yeah, I think that one and [6] the iconic celebration are definitely a bit subjective. I'll be quite lenient on both. Though I reserve the right to step in if someone really takes the piss (or we can leave it to the masses to destroy them in the vote!). I'd probably think of the 'Heavy Metal' as a player Klopp would want to have in his team. Could be someone who would press like a madman, a marauding fullback, a tireless forward, or a sweeper keeper. But e.g. say if Laudrup was available, I'd say he's not a player Klopp would go for. Of course, you're welcome to draft these sorts of players in other categories.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 06:09:33 pm by Betty Blue »

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 06:20:16 pm »
Nice. Looks a tough one. In please.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 06:26:51 pm »
Ok
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 06:43:13 pm »
Nice. Looks a tough one. In please.

Hopefully just the right amount  :)

Ok

I can feel your enthusiasm  :P

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2024, 06:47:19 pm »

Le Tissier thinks heavy metal football is Iron Maiden Revelations..

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 06:53:32 pm »
It was a lot of fun coming up with these  :)

Yeah, I think that one and [6] the iconic celebration are definitely a bit subjective. I'll be quite lenient on both. Though I reserve the right to step in if someone really takes the piss (or we can leave it to the masses to destroy them in the vote!). I'd probably think of the 'Heavy Metal' as a player Klopp would want to have in his team. Could be someone who would press like a madman, a marauding fullback, a tireless forward, or a sweeper keeper. But e.g. say if Laudrup was available, I'd say he's not a player Klopp would go for. Of course, you're welcome to draft these sorts of players in other categories.

Fair enough mate, sounds good :)

Le Tissier thinks heavy metal football is Iron Maiden Revelations..

;D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2024, 07:06:53 pm »
Yep! Looks great.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2024, 08:51:02 pm »
I'm away this week, no way I can do something this complicated. But I'll be sure to vote!

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2024, 08:57:21 pm »
Looking forward to it
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2024, 09:30:10 pm »
I'm away this week, no way I can do something this complicated. But I'll be sure to vote!

No worries, mate. Definitely involves a bit of research, but should be worth the effort. And if anyone needs any help, there are resources for most categories I can point people to  :)  Transfermarkt is particularly useful.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2024, 09:33:59 pm »
Yes please
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2024, 09:36:56 pm »
Looks a good one Betty. But I don’t think I can fit this in at the moment, or do it justice. But I’ll follow with interest!

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2024, 10:38:52 pm »
Yes please

Nice one. Just two more drafters needed. Assuming Popcorn, Lastrador, and child-in-time are still on board.

Looks a good one Betty. But I don’t think I can fit this in at the moment, or do it justice. But I’ll follow with interest!

Nick turning down a draft. What has the world come to.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 10:42:05 pm »
I think the kids these days call it " Bottling it".

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2024, 12:15:31 am »
In, cheers!

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2024, 08:57:32 am »
I might struggle, but I'll give it a go. Never done a football one before, be gentle with me.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2024, 09:07:09 am »
I might struggle, but I'll give it a go. Never done a football one before, be gentle with me.

No.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2024, 09:42:36 am »

Category [12] pick a film Klopp might go to see on a Sunday afternoon.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2024, 09:51:38 am »
Category [12] pick a film Klopp might go to see on a Sunday afternoon.

Slap Shot

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2024, 11:11:09 am »
Still waiting to hear from Lastrador and child-in-time. Then only one more drafter is needed to hit the magic 16. Don't mind going over if there is more interest though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 11:25:54 am by Betty Blue »

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2024, 03:18:52 pm »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2024, 03:27:38 pm »
You got the spidey sense I was heading your way eventually mate?  ;D

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2024, 03:31:43 pm »
Aye, might as well show some commitment this time ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2024, 03:56:34 pm »

Nice one.

We're at 16 now if Lasty and CIT ever show up.

You got the spidey sense I was heading your way eventually mate?  ;D

I got there first  :D  Nice to get some of the old gang back in on it. Though noticed a few who haven't posted in nearly two years!

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2024, 05:49:58 pm »
One thing to think about before we kick off on Monday -

Do we make it so people can nominate their picks for multiple categories which keeps options open, or have to decide on only one category and therefore no flexibility to change them later.

e.g. King Kenny could be picked as [1], [7], [10] and probably a few others.

Last time we did this we allowed multi-categories. I don't mind what people prefer.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 06:18:38 pm by Betty Blue »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2024, 06:00:43 pm »
Pick the catgory.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2024, 07:59:53 pm »
Thanks for the invite, I'll watch from the sidelines.  :wave
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2024, 12:52:09 am »
In
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Air Jota

• Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2024, 02:39:58 am »
Any room for one more?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2024, 02:51:47 am »
So you want to know how deep the rabbit hole goes?

Offline Air Jota

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2024, 02:59:12 am »
So you want to know how deep the rabbit hole goes?

Balls deep?