FINAL: Hazell (AJAX)
11 (22%)
Play-off: Betty Blue (BARCELONA)
16 (32%)
Play-off: Nicholls (REAL MADRID)
9 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: January 7, 2015, 07:08:17 pm

Author Topic: Battles of the Club Sides (Wildcard) Draft - THE GRAND FINAL  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Battles of the Club Sides (Wildcard) Draft - THE GRAND FINAL
« on: January 6, 2015, 07:08:17 pm »
Welcome to the The Grand Final of the Battles of the Club Sides (Wildcard) Draft.

Each drafter has been tasked with creating an all-time 11 based on a specific club/domestic league criteria. The smaller clubs have also come together to form coalitions in the hope of matching some of the greater footballing sides. This also opened up the possibility of seeing players such as Cruyff, Zidane, and Ronaldo play for multiple sides. Not forgetting the 'special' wildcards which allowed for players such as Nesta to return to Lazio and join the Serie A coalition. With Real Madrid and Barcelona neatly disposed, we now reach the final hurdle as we seek to find the answer as to which is/are the greatest club side(s) of all time-time -

Please put your thinking caps on and make your selections in these final two games:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

THE GRAND FINAL

KingLuis10                                           V                                                 Hazell

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

THIRD PLACE PLAY-OFF       

Betty Blue                                          V                                                      Nicholls     

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Battles of the Club Sides (Wildcard) Draft - THE GRAND FINAL
« Reply #1 on: January 6, 2015, 10:10:23 pm »
Barcelona running rampant. WTF!.  :o

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #2 on: January 7, 2015, 12:50:09 am »
Just goes to show, all you need is a random smatter of hipster players and you'll win a draft. Very sad.

Online Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #3 on: January 7, 2015, 08:13:21 am »
Just goes to show, all you need is a random smatter of hipster players and you'll win a draft. Very sad.
We do get a lot of strange results.

Maybe we need to do one where the teams are anonymous, so the identity of the selector doesn't influence the votes.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4 on: January 7, 2015, 11:54:43 am »

Maybe we need to do one where the teams are anonymous, so the identity of the selector doesn't influence the votes.

At the end of this draft, I did consider a wildcard that would have done exactly that  ;D
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2015, 12:37:37 pm »
Wow, the talent in that KingLuis frontline, but i'm a firm believer in win the middle battle to win the game, so voted for Hazell. Sorry KingLuis

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 7, 2015, 12:40:01 pm »

Interesting, might be a bit of a pain in the arse when it comes to the selection process. Who do you pm? Or maybe folk just get on with it without the need for PM's. Plus the comments in the voting thread, you wouldn't be able to say anything ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7 on: January 7, 2015, 12:49:50 pm »
Interesting, might be a bit of a pain in the arse when it comes to the selection process. Who do you pm? Or maybe folk just get on with it without the need for PM's. Plus the comments in the voting thread, you wouldn't be able to say anything ;D

"The Silent Draft".

Edit: "Battle of the Silent Drafters"

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 7, 2015, 12:56:40 pm »
"The Silent Draft".

Edit: "Battle of the Silent Drafters"
Hello darkness my old friend...

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #9 on: January 7, 2015, 12:56:49 pm »
Wow, the talent in that KingLuis frontline, but i'm a firm believer in win the middle battle to win the game, so voted for Hazell. Sorry KingLuis

No doubting he wins the midfield battle, it's a phenomenal trio.

This is harsh though. As long as the players are in their correct positions and there's some sort of balance between attack/defence and out wide/through the middle, we should be encouraging the use of different formations. Didn't have you down as a Pulis fan  :D

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 7, 2015, 01:01:07 pm »
This is harsh though. As long as the players are in their correct positions and there's some sort of balance between attack/defence and out wide/through the middle, we should be encouraging the use of different formations. Didn't have you down as a Pulis fan  :D

No other team gets away with having three centre backs, a right back, but no left back.

If I had played that formation, for example, I'd have been laughed at. It's all good for you though because you have Batistuta, Totti, Thuram, Nedved, Vierchowood. Hipsters paradise.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #11 on: January 7, 2015, 01:18:36 pm »
No other team gets away with having three centre backs, a right back, but no left back.

If I had played that formation, for example, I'd have been laughed at. It's all good for you though because you have Batistuta, Totti, Thuram, Nedved, Vierchowood. Hipsters paradise.

Try it out and let's see  ;D Looking at the Hall of Fame thread, the zona mista made it all the way to the final of the formations draft. Saint Kopite made the final of the La Liga draft using it and Tomaldinho's losing finalist in the Serie A draft is essentially the same formation with Leonardo on one side and Lentini on the other. It looks different but you've still got four players behind the ball in addition to the wing back and the midfielder, who ideally puts a shift in defensively.

Think we'll see a lot more of three at the back in drafts now that we seem to be putting it to good effect in real life.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #12 on: January 7, 2015, 03:31:19 pm »
KingLuis included the full names to make the pitch look less empty with his formation.

Great tactic, that is why he got my vote.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13 on: January 7, 2015, 04:46:41 pm »
Ajax are, how you shay, mashive underdogsh but I voted for them anyway. Partly because I'm bitter about losing to King Luis (not really!), partly because I love the line up and finally because Hazell has a shit load of posts of course.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 7, 2015, 04:49:02 pm »
Shteeve is that you?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15 on: January 7, 2015, 04:53:09 pm »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 7, 2015, 06:06:02 pm »
 ;D

KingLuis has won it I guess.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 7, 2015, 06:42:37 pm »
;D

KingLuis has won it I guess.

Hold on:

We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 7, 2015, 07:12:17 pm »
Ah bollocks. Well done KingLuis.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 7, 2015, 07:13:51 pm »

Congrats, KingLuis :)
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline prateekmalhota

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 7, 2015, 07:16:41 pm »
Congrats KingLuis!
Great one Betty. I see that everyone enjoyed it a lot.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 7, 2015, 07:19:46 pm »
I see that everyone enjoyed it a lot.
I didn't.

Offline HoinkDoink

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 7, 2015, 07:46:39 pm »
Congrats Kingluis :)

Thanks Betty  :)
Liverpool FC
Stop for the Klopp!

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=294839.0 - RAWK Soccer Manager Thread, Come Play

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 7, 2015, 08:14:44 pm »
I didn't.
;D

Well Done Kingluis. Hard luck Hazell. Bit of a daft draft when the Germans go out early ::) whatevs ;D Good work Betty

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #24 on: January 7, 2015, 08:16:09 pm »
Congrats Luis

Great draft thanks Betty. :wave

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #25 on: January 7, 2015, 10:15:36 pm »

Great pic that.

Thanks all and especially to Betty for putting this together. Very different from other drafts, I loved it.

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 7, 2015, 10:58:10 pm »
Well done Luis and thanks Betty.

I thought the decision to give us everyone else's sloppy seconds, no time to pick our team because everyone else took so long, then take half our team off us and limit us to two letters was a particularly good one.

Honest I'm not bitter  ;)

More importantly.  Can we please have some love for Paco Gento in the future?

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #27 on: January 8, 2015, 12:17:27 pm »
Congratulations KingLuis, almost a comeback there from Hazell at the death!

I very much enjoyed setting up the draft and fucking with all your heads throughout, so I'm glad you all got a lot from it as well  :thumbup  (Katie Price* excepted).

I do think I failed on a number of points and perhaps over/under-strengthened certain sides, but I couldn't control EVERYTHING.

*Liverpool were always a double-edged sword and I meant them to be that way. The point of the wildcards was actually not to weaken your side but help you make the decisions that needed to be made to create an all-time Liverpool side. Instead, you tried to pump in as many attacking stars as possible and completely unbalanced the side. The great Liverpool sides of the 70s and 80's were built on defence. Not attack. A back three was almost detrimental. I don't think you'd have won it in any case, but you'd have certainly gone a lot further had there been more balance with the side in line with how Liverpool set up in those great days. 

As an aside, I'd love to do a draft league season with all these sides, allowing for some re-balancing of Liverpool, AC Milan, and others. The final outcome could be fascinating. I have to say also that I think Barcelona were probably beaten by the only side in this whole draft with a tough enough midfield to dominate and win. But those are the breaks with these drafts.

Anyway, thank you all for taking part. I've got another two draft ideas for later in the new year, but none as crazy as this one!  :wave

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28 on: January 8, 2015, 12:25:10 pm »
Good work people. See you in the next draft thread! :wave

Online Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 8, 2015, 02:24:35 pm »
What we could do is all collaborate on picking the best team for the top club sides, then have the draft votes.  So instead of one of us winning, the club wins.  Itd lead to some great debate and a vote not influenced by the selector.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #30 on: January 8, 2015, 02:26:22 pm »
What we could do is all collaborate on picking the best team for the top club sides, then have the draft votes.  So instead of one of us winning, the club wins.  Itd lead to some great debate and a vote not influenced by the selector.

AWWYC would still lose.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks