Author Topic: General decorating and DIY thread indoor and outdoors.  (Read 31012 times)

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Re: General decorating and DIY thread indoor and outdoors.
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2023, 09:36:27 pm »
Is expensive paint worth it?

Farrow & Ball and the likes, twice the cost of the regular stuff. We want to redo the living room, which currently has Graham and Brown paint over plaster that the previous owners did. I don't think it's any older than 3 or 4 years and there are flaking bits and imperfections are really clear.

We want a nice neutral eggshell to reflect some light from the relatively small windows.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #241 on: September 15, 2023, 07:54:39 am »

Farrow & Ball and the likes, twice the cost of the regular stuff. We want to redo the living room, which currently has Graham and Brown paint over plaster that the previous owners did. I don't think it's any older than 3 or 4 years and there are flaking bits and imperfections are really clear.

We want a nice neutral eggshell to reflect some light from the relatively small windows.

Dunelm have their own brand of egg shell emulsion and it's supposed to be pretty good.  It's a lot cheaper than Farrow and Ball.  Also there's Lick Paint (stocked in B&Q) - that's also cheaper.

Screwfix sell Lick Pro Eggshell Emulsion - again cheaper than Farrow and Ball.

Also have a look in Brewers - they do all sorts.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 08:05:00 am by Millie »
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: September 15, 2023, 08:12:41 am »
My daughters have painted their rooms with Johnsons Egyptian Cotton. Check that shade mate.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #243 on: September 15, 2023, 10:46:03 am »

I own a constrction company and the guys that work for me use paints from different companies. The short answer is yes, some paints go on a lot easier and seem to last longer. I seriously doubt though that F&B are really that much better. I cant remember if UK has an independednt testing agency or magazine. See if you can find one, but yes, some paints ae better.

Online Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #244 on: September 15, 2023, 05:39:00 pm »
I've only used Farrow and Ball once,it was fine,didn't cut in great but it was what the home owner had used before so we went with it.Any better than the likes of Behr, Ben Moore,Sherwin Williams not  for me.Sorry don't know what the Brit equivilents are.Our go to is a Behr ultra paint and primer scruff defence but if home owner wants something else,they are of course right!

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: September 16, 2023, 06:41:16 pm »
My daughters have painted their rooms with Johnsons Egyptian Cotton. Check that shade mate.

Good suggestion that, got a tester, it's nice.

Thanks for the advice. It's a shame Wilkos is under because we liked their paint and Dunelm's range seems to be much lower than it used to be. B&Q Goodhome we've used before for the bedroom and it took 3 coats to do green over off white.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: September 18, 2023, 07:44:21 am »

We use valspar the gold one, you can actually wipe marks off it which with kids is well worth the extra.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2023, 08:00:45 pm »
Ended up matching the colour at Johnstone's and managed to do the entire room in 2.5 coats off one tin.

Anyway, new question: a leg of our bookcase has snapped off - it's a trapezoidal leg and screws into anchor bolts on the bottom of the main body. It's these anchor bolts that have sheared out as we moved it.

What's the best way to fix that? Can I fill the holes with a filler and rescrew the anchors into it? Or am I best using a strong glue?

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2023, 12:27:21 pm »
Ended up matching the colour at Johnstone's and managed to do the entire room in 2.5 coats off one tin.

Anyway, new question: a leg of our bookcase has snapped off - it's a trapezoidal leg and screws into anchor bolts on the bottom of the main body. It's these anchor bolts that have sheared out as we moved it.

What's the best way to fix that? Can I fill the holes with a filler and rescrew the anchors into it? Or am I best using a strong glue?

Hard to imagaine quite how it looks. Bookcases carry real weight so glue may not work. It is almost impossible to get the old anchors out. Get a good drill bit for metal from a hard ware store and drill a new hole in the existing bracket and put new screws into th bottom of the book case.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: October 23, 2023, 05:03:03 pm »
Had a quote to remove an internal double door (between front room and dining room), build the stud wall, add an electric socket, then plaster board and skim - came out at £940.

Seems excessive when i think i could do most of the work myself - just not the skimming.

anybody else done something similar and can give a guide to what they were quoted??

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #250 on: October 23, 2023, 07:11:38 pm »
Had a quote to remove an internal double door (between front room and dining room), build the stud wall, add an electric socket, then plaster board and skim - came out at £940.

Seems excessive when i think i could do most of the work myself - just not the skimming.

anybody else done something similar and can give a guide to what they were quoted??

How hard is it to run the new socket to get from the new socket to the electric panel ?. Everything else sounds straight forward except that.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: October 23, 2023, 09:56:53 pm »

Hi mate, do you mean that the stud wall is just to fill the gap where the double door was, or is there anything else? If so, the plasterboard is about £30, the timber for the studding probably the same, and a new socket, junction box and 3 core cable will be about £25. Add on the plaster and skirting, some fixings and sundries and I'm being generous to the fella to say that total materials will be about £150 - £200 all in. So he's charging you around £750-£800 for labour.

I'm fairly handy so no fucking way would I get someone in and pay that. I did a cinema room in my house which involved building a 3m stud wall to hide a chimney breast which was right where I wanted my screen to go. I did the studding in aluminium, which was dead easy, covered that completely with OSB, then a layer of plasterboard. I skimmed it myself at that time, and i was useless at it. Took me about 4 goes to get it bang on, but in the end I was made up I did it myself. saved a fortune.

If you could do most of the stuff yourself, then do it. If you're worried about the plastering, then either just get a lad in for a couple of hours to do that for you, or go on a 2 day course and learn skimming yourself, If you're local, there's a lad in Kirkby that does it and he's fantastic. You'd be amazed how good you get on day one with a proper teacher. At the end of day 2, you'll defo be confident and proficient enough to tackle a small job like the one you're talking about. It'll cost you around £300, but you'll still be way ahead cost wise, and you'll have learnt a new DIY skill that you'll use almost non stop [ask me how i know lol]. It doesn't make you a professional plasterer, but it certainly teaches you enough to do small plastering jobs around the house really well.

One caveat though, not sure how happy you are doing electrics. The socket should be properly certified [under a minor works cert] by a qualified spark if its new. Its dead easy to fit it yourself, but to cover yourself re house insurance etc. its a sensible precaution to take. Its also nice to have someone confirm you've used the correct rated cable/JB etc.

That's my two pennies worth anyway - hope it helps.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: October 24, 2023, 08:20:22 am »
Hi mate, do you mean that the stud wall is just to fill the gap where the double door was, or is there anything else? If so, the plasterboard is about £30, the timber for the studding probably the same, and a new socket, junction box and 3 core cable will be about £25. Add on the plaster and skirting, some fixings and sundries and I'm being generous to the fella to say that total materials will be about £150 - £200 all in. So he's charging you around £750-£800 for labour.

Thanks for the reply, yes its just building a stud wall to replace where the double door was- nothing else.

The electrics is pretty straightforward, there is a socket nearby which i can spur off, so i'm not worried about that. Plus my old man is very useful in that department if it came down to it.

Not sure how my wife would feel about me doing the skimming, even after a short course - might have to stump to a pro for that.

I thought that the price was excessive, glad i've got some confirmation!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: November 2, 2023, 12:17:28 am »
Thanks for the reply, yes its just building a stud wall to replace where the double door was- nothing else.

The electrics is pretty straightforward, there is a socket nearby which i can spur off, so i'm not worried about that. Plus my old man is very useful in that department if it came down to it.

Not sure how my wife would feel about me doing the skimming, even after a short course - might have to stump to a pro for that.

I thought that the price was excessive, glad i've got some confirmation!

I'd do the building of the wall and wiring yourself, you'll easily find somebody who would plaster that for £100'ish. I've found that wickes is the cheapest place for the boards & timber.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2024, 11:38:30 am »
Any idea on roughly what it would cost to get 5 metres of mortar pointing removed and replaced with leadmate? Had a leak on the extension and the flashing looks OK but the emergency repair said the mortar pointing should be replaced now as it'll start to crumble with age.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2024, 12:26:35 pm »
Any idea on roughly what it would cost to get 5 metres of mortar pointing removed and replaced with leadmate? Had a leak on the extension and the flashing looks OK but the emergency repair said the mortar pointing should be replaced now as it'll start to crumble with age.

Shouldn't be too much mate unless they need scaffolding to do it.

One of my clients needed similar doing so I recommended someone I knew and he didn't even charge her.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2024, 03:23:03 pm »
Missus wants a media wall, I will not be going anywhere near that !!!!
Jurgen YNWA

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2024, 06:02:29 pm »
Missus wants a media wall, I will not be going anywhere near that !!!!

I'd do all the framing & wiring, then I'd call in the experts

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: February 5, 2024, 11:19:11 am »
The outer conservatory door is slightly misaligned so the bottom latch isn't catching. I've done a google but can't seem to work out how to adjust this type of hinge - the two Phillips-head screws just seem to keep turning where google promised me it was half a turn either way. Any ideas please?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: February 5, 2024, 01:05:55 pm »
Looks like a butt hinge, take the black cap off and you should see either a screw or allen key, the 2 screws you can see will also alter it a little.

Just found this (you've probably already seen it though)

https://www.everest.co.uk/doors/upvc/how-to-adjust-a-upvc-door-hinges/
« Last Edit: February 5, 2024, 01:07:26 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: March 27, 2024, 12:44:32 pm »
I just wondered what are people's views on concealed vs exposed showers?

Logic says concealed would be a right pain to repair and replace, if required.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 12:46:36 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: March 27, 2024, 05:09:20 pm »
I just wondered what are people's views on concealed vs exposed showers?

Logic says concealed would be a right pain to repair and replace, if required.

Modern concealed showers are very reliable pieces of kit.

The pipework isn’t usually the issue when a shower leaks - it’s the cartridge that generally goes.

Even in a concealed shower the cartridge is readily accessible and repairable.

All my showers are concealed and have been in over 15 years. Only issues I’ve ever had are two of the mixer valves binding and so were weren’t able to turn the shower fully on. I swapped both showers out myself without any issues.

The trick is finding the right cartridge - the manufacturers are always changing the bloody reference numbers.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2024, 08:19:11 pm »

Modern concealed showers are very reliable pieces of kit.

The pipework isn’t usually the issue when a shower leaks - it’s the cartridge that generally goes.

Even in a concealed shower the cartridge is readily accessible and repairable.

All my showers are concealed and have been in over 15 years. Only issues I’ve ever had are two of the mixer valves binding and so were weren’t able to turn the shower fully on. I swapped both showers out myself without any issues.

The trick is finding the right cartridge - the manufacturers are always changing the bloody reference numbers.

Thanks for your reply.  Very helpful.

I live in a hard water area, so my old (cheap) electric showers, never lasted that long.  All got clogged up with limescale, within a few years.

I really like the look of concealed showers, I'm just a bit paranoid that I'll have to rip the wall out to repair/replace it, if it goes wrong.

I've been advised to buy a well-known make, so the parts will still be available.  I guess this counts for an exposed shower, too.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:20:47 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2024, 09:02:13 pm »
No worries mate.

If you think about what a concealed shower is, the only difference to an exposed one is that the cartridge and mixer valve are recessed a bit into the wall, rather than being mounted directly on its face, and the water feed from the valve to the shower head will be a fixed copper pipe in your walls, rather than one of the chrome flexible surface mounted ones.

In a concealed shower you still need an on-off lever and a temperature control lever, and these are usually just mounted onto a decorative plate which is easily removed to access the valve cartridge in the event it needs replacing.

So the only additional risk for a concealed one is if the copper feed from the valve to the shower head fails for some reason. You'd have to be very unlucky for that to happen, and to be honest there's exactly the same chance that one of your main shower copper feed pipes would fail - in those circumstances it'd be a pain in the arse no matter what kind of shower you have.

Don't know if you are aware of this, but you can get hard water filters which fit directly onto your incoming main supply and deal with the hard water problem at source, before the water gets to any of your taps and appliances. They're a couple of hundred quid to buy [can be more if you've got a big house and/or loads of toilets/sinks], and are diy fittable if you're reasonably competent. If the water is really hard, these can be a big help - stops any issues with your showers, taps, washing machines, dishwasher, kettle etc.

Hope that helps - good luck.