Author Topic: Pep Lijnders  (Read 151399 times)

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Pep Lijnders
« Reply #880 on: January 26, 2024, 11:45:39 am »
Technically from the wording he could "vacate his position" as assistant manager and "persue his own career in management" at the same club....

Don't think that is likely though unfortunately.
Matos wouldnt be leaving if Pep was staying

Offline daniel.owen89

• Kemlynite
« Reply #881 on: January 26, 2024, 11:53:03 am »
No, I think he wants to go and manage a club himself, but he didn't want to jump off and leave Klopp when he was needed last season or so. Seems good timing for him to go at the same time as his boss.

I wonder if the other coaches will stay with him for his next job.

I also wonder if he'll be back some day. Would make sense to get experience as the main man somewhere else first though. Following Klopp directly will be tough.

So do you think that Pep wants to be a manager and the club just don't want him or its a loyalty to klopp things that he wants to move on as well?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #882 on: January 26, 2024, 11:56:07 am »
So do you think that Pep wants to be a manager and the club just don't want him or its a loyalty to klopp things that he wants to move on as well?

I think he'd rather have a clean slate and not be a groomed successor, who'll always be compared to Klopp.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline daniel.owen89

• Kemlynite
« Reply #883 on: January 26, 2024, 12:00:06 pm »
I think he'd rather have a clean slate and not be a groomed successor, who'll always be compared to Klopp.

Thats a fair point, plus maybe wants less pressure as his first go at management didn't go as well as he had hoped.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #884 on: January 26, 2024, 12:03:58 pm »
I think he's probably not even been considered since he's only managed for six months, badly, in the Dutch 2nd division! He's only 40 (two years younger than Xabi Alonso) so the sensible thing if he wants to be a manager is to go and do similar to him, work his way up and who knows in the future.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #885 on: January 26, 2024, 12:39:46 pm »
I think he's probably not even been considered since he's only managed for six months, badly, in the Dutch 2nd division! He's only 40 (two years younger than Xabi Alonso) so the sensible thing if he wants to be a manager is to go and do similar to him, work his way up and who knows in the future.

Yeah, it's one of those that's a nicer idea that the reality. You don't replace Klopp with diet-Klopp.

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #886 on: January 26, 2024, 02:55:24 pm »
I always thought when Jurgen went Pep would be the one to take over he was the one working closest to Jurgen and when that time came he would step up a bit like shanks and paisley! I said it that many times to people this is what I think would happen even mentioned what football clubs assistant releases a book he his highly regarded at Liverpool and has been at the club longer than Klopp with his brief spell managing in Holland. I am shocked he is going too Gutted with Klopp and sadden by Pep he seemed a really nice bloke and a top top coach. I just can't get my head around they are all going.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #887 on: January 26, 2024, 03:03:57 pm »
Yeah, it's one of those that's a nicer idea that the reality. You don't replace Klopp with diet-Klopp.
Yes. Thank god we never went in-house after Shankly left.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #888 on: January 26, 2024, 03:20:03 pm »
The book is why klopp is leaving, right?

Good luck to Pep as well - he's been a great influence on the club.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #889 on: January 26, 2024, 04:25:31 pm »
I always thought when Jurgen went Pep would be the one to take over he was the one working closest to Jurgen and when that time came he would step up a bit like shanks and paisley! I said it that many times to people this is what I think would happen even mentioned what football clubs assistant releases a book he his highly regarded at Liverpool and has been at the club longer than Klopp with his brief spell managing in Holland. I am shocked he is going too Gutted with Klopp and sadden by Pep he seemed a really nice bloke and a top top coach. I just can't get my head around they are all going.

Pretty sure Pep said he'd only be assistant to Klopp ??

I guess he wants to go his own way now and has built up experience and is young in management terms.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #890 on: January 26, 2024, 04:26:51 pm »
The book is why klopp is leaving, right?

Good luck to Pep as well - he's been a great influence on the club.

I agree, I think he gets a hard time of it but he's been an important part of the back-team in the Klopp years, so I will wish him every luck.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #891 on: January 26, 2024, 04:32:28 pm »
The fact that Pep isn't even in the frame for the job, despite being touted as the 'continuity candidate' for years, maybe suggests the owners already have a clear idea of who is succeeding Klopp?

Maybe clutching at straws but I'm desperate for some kind of certainty and a bit of positive news.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: January 26, 2024, 04:39:49 pm »
Good luck to him. Some shite said about him previously just cause of a book.

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #893 on: January 26, 2024, 05:06:22 pm »

We must have the next guy lined up and sorted.  If we don’t, why would we rule out Pep? A totally viable candidate

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #894 on: January 26, 2024, 05:07:33 pm »
I really hope he makes it as a manager. Love his enthusiasm and knowledge of the game.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #895 on: January 26, 2024, 05:21:19 pm »

So this sounds harsh but ultimately, with Klopp going, we should want Lijnders and others to go as well. We need a new manager to bring his own people with him so that he can properly implement his ideas and feel as comfortable as possible.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #896 on: January 26, 2024, 05:24:28 pm »
So this sounds harsh but ultimately, with Klopp going, we should want Lijnders and others to go as well. We need a new manager to bring his own people with him so that he can properly implement his ideas and feel as comfortable as possible.

Shanks --> Bob --> Fagan --> Kenny.  It was bringing in Souness that broke us.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: January 26, 2024, 05:54:56 pm »
We must have the next guy lined up and sorted.  If we don’t, why would we rule out Pep? A totally viable candidate

That was my suspicion. Or rather, the club has made it clear that they're not picking their next manager from the current staff.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: January 26, 2024, 06:48:08 pm »
We must have the next guy lined up and sorted. If we don’t, why would we rule out Pep? A totally viable candidate

Totally agree.

I can't see why he wouldn't be given a chance to show his credentials if they haven't sought a successor.

Or maybe they just want tried and tested head coaches, people who its easy to analyse based on stats available, something Pep doesn't have.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #899 on: January 26, 2024, 06:53:42 pm »

Maybe he was offered it and he turned it down. We don't know.

Offline markiv

• Main Stander
« Reply #900 on: January 26, 2024, 08:05:43 pm »

This! I'm pretty sure we probably done a lot of ground work and probably have an agreement with our preferred candidate, otherwise I don't see why we'd need to rule out Pep so quickly.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #901 on: January 27, 2024, 05:55:54 am »
Anyone else think with him and so many other members of the coaching staff leaving it means they have already filled the position......

This is the obvious explanation.

FSG have known about the need to replace Jurgen since November so the most likely stance is that they have a new guy lined up already and he has stipulated that he wants to bring in his own team....... Makes perfect sense.

Also, as it is well known that the previous two DoFs did not see eye-to-eye with Pep, what's the betting that one of them will return as the new DoF to replace Scmadke ?
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: January 27, 2024, 08:46:15 am »

Also, as it is well known that the previous two DoFs did not see eye-to-eye with Pep, what's the betting that one of them will return as the new DoF to replace Scmadke ?

It is? I have missed this. Where is Samie when you need him?

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: January 27, 2024, 09:05:55 am »
Personally think he could manage us one day, but he’s not there just yet. He’s more than young enough to cut his teeth in a less pressurised club and refine his management style first.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #904 on: January 27, 2024, 04:51:54 pm »
Personally think he could manage us one day, but he’s not there just yet. He’s more than young enough to cut his teeth in a less pressurised club and refine his management style first.
Being tactically astute, which he is 100%, is a necessary but not sufficient condition to become a top manager. Pep needs to cut his teeth somewhere to show that he can manage. I'm not convinced at this time that he could at this level, but who knows...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #905 on: January 27, 2024, 06:43:31 pm »
I think it is somewhat foolish to rule Pep out. If you'd given me this possibility a week ago, I'd have said no chance. But the more I think about it, the more I realise that there is something to be said for continuity of some sort. The uncertainty of how we will play after Klopp and how players respond to a new manager is anxiety inducing, and Pep has been very influential in our style of play these last few years.

I'm not advocating him, but for that reason, it is foolish to rule him out, which makes me wonder they have a clear idea of who they want. It would be idiotic if he's being ruled out because, only being the assistant, they are unable to measure him on a statistical model of head coaches though.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: January 27, 2024, 07:02:27 pm »
Being tactically astute, which he is 100%, is a necessary but not sufficient condition to become a top manager. Pep needs to cut his teeth somewhere to show that he can manage. I'm not convinced at this time that he could at this level, but who knows...

100% you can be the cleverest guy in the room but if you can't make people understand and buy into your genius it doesn't work. I think Pep gave Klopp great ideas and energy but Klopp was the leader, as you say that step is huge and not everyone can do it.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #907 on: January 27, 2024, 10:10:43 pm »

I am surprised we didn't offer him the sporting director position.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #908 on: January 27, 2024, 11:13:14 pm »
I am surprised we didn't offer him the sporting director position.

A position he has no real relevant experience in, that doesn't suit his apparent qualities, and that I would guess he doesn't want at this stage of his life? Why?

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #909 on: January 28, 2024, 01:17:30 am »
A position he has no real relevant experience in, that doesn't suit his apparent qualities, and that I would guess he doesn't want at this stage of his life? Why?

I think it suits him perfectly. He was very involved in a successful process of identifying players so he knows what is needed. Very knowledgeable when it comes to team building, academy and football in general but you are right he wants to try to have a career as a manager but I think the sporting director role suits him better he even talks like one.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: January 28, 2024, 11:59:04 am »
Shanks --> Bob --> Fagan --> Kenny.  It was bringing in Souness that broke us.

I know what you are saying Rob but times have changed. I love Kenny and he did well in his second reign but the game had moved on and I wasn't convinced that he could take us back up to that elite level. The old 'turn the screw' style of play didn't seem as effective against the so called more inferior teams as generally they are much more organised with their low block crap and effective on the counter.

The club then took a big chance by employing Rodgers and a new team and it very nearly paid off. What Rodgers brought was fresh ideas and a modern style of play, it was a much needed modernisation of the club and the football was breathtaking. Later we saw the flaws in Rodgers management in terms of player recruitment, being able to organise a defence (although that was always there) and tactics against the top managers.

The club then takes another risk, although we all knew it was low risk in taking on Klopp who also brought in his own team. It didn't feel like a massive style transition given the pressing game that Rodgers introduced and Klopp stuck with many of the players that he inherited. He also inherited a dodgy defence and I think Klopp's risk taking style of play generally provided more chances and he had to improve our control of games before we could win silverware. Klopp obviously took our game and player recruitment to another level though.

The owners have made mistakes but have learned from them and we have no choice but to trust them. I think that we all hope that the next manager comes in and we continue with the Klopp style of play but sadly and realistically I don't think that will be 100% possible.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #911 on: January 28, 2024, 12:08:59 pm »
Brilliant coach and thinker, I really hope he succeeds in management.

Maybe back at Liverpool in his own right in the future.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #912 on: January 28, 2024, 12:32:33 pm »
Our academy was so blessed to have this man... and then he became assistant manager and help kept this juggernaut rolling.
Farewell Pep.
We're losing an awful lot with both Klopp and Pep leaving. :(

I'm still shocked- and heartbroken, to be honest.
It's been an awful 2 days.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #913 on: February 1, 2024, 02:19:43 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzJpmy128mE

Great little interview. I think I'll miss hearing him speak as much as when you hear Klopp speak. Really interested to see what's down for him as a manager.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #914 on: February 1, 2024, 03:07:08 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzJpmy128mE

Great little interview. I think I'll miss hearing him speak as much as when you hear Klopp speak. Really interested to see what's down for him as a manager.

I was just watching this and agree, great to hear him speak and smiled when he said 'I hope our paths cross again' and it made me think he knows this job isn't right for him right now, experience wise, but hopes it could happen in the future.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #915 on: February 1, 2024, 03:09:15 pm »
Clearly a highly intelligent guy with boundless energy, part of one of greatest coaching set ups.

Will be interesting to see how he goes in management, he'll need a team of enough quality who understands his concepts as they are next level.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: February 1, 2024, 03:20:02 pm »
I'm assuming he'd go abroad, but he understands the English game like nothing else, so I think it would be a wise decision for a club maybe in the championship who is looking for a coach to match their philosophy.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #917 on: February 1, 2024, 04:05:15 pm »
A really good interview that was, I wish him all the best once he's gone. He's still young enough to make it as a coach.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: February 1, 2024, 04:27:54 pm »
A really good interview that was, I wish him all the best once he's gone. He's still young enough to make it as a coach.

I thought it was goofy asf 😂
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #919 on: February 1, 2024, 07:26:55 pm »
Something something book. All the best to the fella, anyone still doubting how integral he was to all this is never going to change their minds. Will be following whichever side is lucky enough to get him closely, my new second team. Hopefully he's back here one day.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.