Author Topic: Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich  (Read 193982 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich
« Reply #2080 on: May 12, 2016, 07:13:43 pm »
He was one of the most talented young players in the world at Borussia D. But so was Isco, and some say, so was El Sharaawy. Football is a lot about confidence and determination, if it goes, then the players never look the same. The big question with Gotze is, has he lost his passion, determination and confidence while he sat on Bayern bench accepting his inferiority not only to Muller and Robben, but half-fit Ribery, Coman and truly one-dimensional Douglas Costa (the second half of this season)?

Thats fair enough. He isnt the flashiest of players so if he doesnt play well then he does look ordinary.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2081 on: May 12, 2016, 08:26:07 pm »
He was one of the most talented young players in the world at Borussia D. But so was Isco, and some say, so was El Sharaawy. Football is a lot about confidence and determination, if it goes, then the players never look the same. The big question with Gotze is, has he lost his passion, determination and confidence while he sat on Bayern bench accepting his inferiority not only to Muller and Robben, but half-fit Ribery, Coman and truly one-dimensional Douglas Costa (the second half of this season)?
This, I think, is where Klopp comes in. If there's a coach who is known for man management, for creating an amazing mentality in his team, it's Klopp. If he can't succeed at Liverpool, he probably won't succeed anywhere.

Bayern was always the wrong move for him. He made that step a year or two too early.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #2082 on: May 12, 2016, 08:27:47 pm »
20m for Gotze? Everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

As long as its done by 4pm, we close early on Sunday's.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2083 on: May 12, 2016, 08:28:30 pm »
As long as its done by 4pm, we close early on Sunday's.

Going once... going twice... done deal!

Offline fenre

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #2084 on: May 12, 2016, 08:32:40 pm »
Thats fair enough. He isnt the flashiest of players so if he doesnt play well then he does look ordinary.

He was absolutely exceptional in that CL run for Dortmund back in 12/13 season, and that season in general. The matches against Real Madrid were he was moving lateral between the lines was just amazing. In my eyes, one of the most undervalued players in Bayern in recent years and if he went to Liverpool, that would be the signing of the season. No doubt about that.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2085 on: May 12, 2016, 09:45:38 pm »
He was absolutely exceptional in that CL run for Dortmund back in 12/13 season, and that season in general. The matches against Real Madrid were he was moving lateral between the lines was just amazing. In my eyes, one of the most undervalued players in Bayern in recent years and if he went to Liverpool, that would be the signing of the season. No doubt about that.
Undervalued by whom? It is one thing to lose competition to Robben and Muller, but it is a different thing if you are behind Coman in the pecking order. Coman is a teenager who has barely any playing experience. He is extremely raw, too. Yet, Gotze is behind Coman.

Not saying he is not worth a gamble, but options must be considered. It all depends how much he would cost and what would be his salary. The gamble is only worth if he is reasonably priced.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2086 on: May 12, 2016, 09:56:19 pm »
Undervalued by whom? It is one thing to lose competition to Robben and Muller, but it is a different thing if you are behind Coman in the pecking order. Coman is a teenager who has barely any playing experience. He is extremely raw, too. Yet, Gotze is behind Coman.

Not saying he is not worth a gamble, but options must be considered. It all depends how much he would cost and what would be his salary. The gamble is only worth if he is reasonably priced.

Robben is one of the 10 best greatest players of his generation, Ribery not far behind, and Muller is both a) a Bayern staple, and b) brilliant; losing out to these three is not an indication that he can't be a worthy player at a top team elsewhere (he already has been). Gotze is behind Coman this season because Coman offers pace and a wide outlet, which is Bayern's main method of attacking this season, and because Gotze has been unfit for most of the year, after injury problems last year too. And Coman has been brilliant and is already integrated and a key part of Bayern's team, and Gotze does not offer pace or good crossing from the wings.

You could compare it to James at Madrid, who was great last season and yet due to injuries and a change in system, is no longer a good fit at Madrid. That doesn't diminish his quality. Gotze's first season at Bayern was a moderate success, his second was poor, this year you can put down to injuries.

At £20m and probably 150k a week, you will not fit a single player his age with his resume.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2087 on: May 12, 2016, 10:14:15 pm »
Must not get excited about possibility of Gotze coming to us

Outrageous talent

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2088 on: May 12, 2016, 10:18:39 pm »

At £20m and probably 150k a week, you will not fit a single player his age with his resume.
Agreed. That's a great price in today's market. But will he come for that?

PS By the way, pace may be an issue for Gotze in England. He didn't seem particularly pacy in Germany. But if anybody knows how to use him it is Klopp.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2089 on: May 12, 2016, 10:22:48 pm »

PS By the way, pace may be an issue for Gotze in England. He didn't seem particularly pacy in Germany. But if anybody knows how to use him it is Klopp.

He was a catalyst in that frantic and relentless Dortmund side that got to the Champions League final. I think he will be fine.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2090 on: May 12, 2016, 10:25:32 pm »

He has a year on his contract, Kicker reported 20-25m euros is what Bayern are looking for.

To be honest £20m is relative peanuts nowadays, with the likes of Martial going for 40m+ after a dozen good games (good buy of course).

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2091 on: May 12, 2016, 10:34:13 pm »
He has a year on his contract, Kicker reported 20-25m euros is what Bayern are looking for.

To be honest £20m is relative peanuts nowadays, with the likes of Martial going for 40m+ after a dozen good games (good buy of course).
Agreed. Didn't realize Bayern would accept 20-25m euros. That's totally worth the gamble. That would also mean that Liverpool will have a lot of competition for his signature.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #2092 on: May 12, 2016, 10:49:24 pm »

Then it is not a gamble.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2093 on: May 12, 2016, 10:52:24 pm »
We can probably get him in for the same price we are hoping to shift Benteke for, that's good enough for me
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2094 on: May 12, 2016, 11:04:07 pm »
Is Gotze actually that good? I have only really seen him for Germany and Bayern and he plods about a fair bit. I guess he must have been good for Dortmund all those years ago.

this is something i'm wondering about too, as someone who rarely saw him playing full matches in his dortmund days.

i've seen him play in games fairly passively - not poorly,like a solid 6/10, but also not particularly assertive.

likewise, he struck me as a bit one-paced, much like kroos but less profound. is gotze faster than lallana?

there's no doubting his quality and technique, i'm just interested in people's views on him physically - really feel having some pace injected into our attack would transform us and make us so much stronger, quicker and more dangerous in transitions/counters

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2095 on: May 12, 2016, 11:31:09 pm »
If we could only get one attacker this summer, I'd want it to be a fast, goalscoring winger. That just seems to be more of a missing area for us. But if we can get two attackers, then why not Gotze?

Klopp knows him far better than any of us, obviously, and if he's the number one target as per the Paul Joyce quotes above, then who am I to say otherwise?

Presume he'd play centrally? We've normally used Lallana or Firmino in that slot, so I guess one of them will be forced wide. If we get a winger as well... well, rotation becomes easier!

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2096 on: May 12, 2016, 11:31:35 pm »
Agreed. Didn't realize Bayern would accept 20-25m euros. That's totally worth the gamble. That would also mean that Liverpool will have a lot of competition for his signature.
Juve are interested by all accounts.
likewise, he struck me as a bit one-paced, much like kroos but less profound. is gotze faster than lallana?

there's no doubting his quality and technique, i'm just interested in people's views on him physically - really feel having some pace injected into our attack would transform us and make us so much stronger, quicker and more dangerous in transitions/counters
In his Dortmund days I would have said that he is faster than Lallana, I'm not sure that's true based off his Bayern days. But despite his relative lack of pace, he was the leader of the fastest countering team in Europe. He used to glide past players at Dortmund with ease, it was Messi-esque with the way he'd feint and change his body shape at the last second.

I agree with you on the latter part.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2097 on: May 13, 2016, 12:40:45 am »
He's not quick at all but his technique is so good that he looks it at times.  Outstanding balance and is very economical in how he uses the ball, for around €20m that'd be outstanding value, assuming he's over his injury problems.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2098 on: May 13, 2016, 01:11:52 am »
If we could only get one attacker this summer, I'd want it to be a fast, goalscoring winger. That just seems to be more of a missing area for us. But if we can get two attackers, then why not Gotze?

Klopp knows him far better than any of us, obviously, and if he's the number one target as per the Paul Joyce quotes above, then who am I to say otherwise?

Presume he'd play centrally? We've normally used Lallana or Firmino in that slot, so I guess one of them will be forced wide. If we get a winger as well... well, rotation becomes easier!
Seeing as this year we spent 32m on Benteke and 21 rising to 29 or something on Firmino in a single season--in addition to spending significant money on Clyne--and seeing as next year we will have the new PL deal and everything, I imagine we will be getting more than one major signing, in terms of cost. So I'm sure we will still try to get a winger.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2099 on: May 13, 2016, 05:47:49 am »
Gotze  :lickin

Would be one hell of a fantastic signing. Genuine world-class talent and he is just 23! I am actually scared to get my hopes up  :-X

Btw, read some rumour of Chelsea getting interested too. Hopefully Klopp factor takes care of that.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #2100 on: May 13, 2016, 06:57:23 am »
Dunno why this has become the Gotze thread, but Dembele seems to suit our needs more.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #2101 on: May 13, 2016, 07:59:19 am »
Dunno why this has become the Gotze thread, but Dembele seems to suit our needs more.

Ousmane? Dortmund have already confirmed the transfer on their site. He's unavailable now.

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2102 on: May 13, 2016, 11:30:10 am »
Will be very surprised if Gotze doesn't sign for us this summer.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2103 on: May 13, 2016, 11:31:35 am »
Will be very surprised if Gotze doesn't sign for us this summer.
You must be new to this Liverpool supporting stuff.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2104 on: May 13, 2016, 11:34:34 am »
You must be new to this Liverpool supporting stuff.

Hha. It's different with Klopp, and Gotze's agent made some positive comments too I believe. Pretty confident about this one.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:36:13 am by QC »

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2105 on: May 13, 2016, 11:37:11 am »
The discussion on debate has certainly changed over the last 2 days. ;)
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2106 on: May 13, 2016, 11:53:39 am »
Unless his rather attractive young wife is very demanding about shopping in London, surely this happens with a 5 min chat between Klopp and the player. See that Liverpool v Dortmund game in Europa - fancy some of that son?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2107 on: May 13, 2016, 12:01:46 pm »
Hha. It's different with Klopp, and Gotze's agent made some positive comments too I believe. Pretty confident about this one.
Always expect to be disappointed, if it actually happens then it feel even better.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2108 on: May 13, 2016, 01:41:08 pm »

The decision to play Coman over Gotze could've been nothing more then a tactical decision.  Pep played with true wingers who generally stayed wide and with fullbacks who came more central.  To me, from what I remember anyway, that doesn't seem like it would suit Gotze' attributes as a player. 

Articles coming out are saying that we'd be willing to make Gotze one of our highest earners so it seems that Klopp is thinking it's not a gamble at all.   

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2109 on: May 13, 2016, 01:45:14 pm »

Btw, read some rumour of Chelsea getting interested too. Hopefully Klopp factor takes care of that.

Rumors now that Arsenal are also interested.  If we can win on Wednesday then the combination of Klopp and CL football will surely hopefully turn the tide in our favor

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #2110 on: May 13, 2016, 01:45:14 pm »
Must not get excited about possibility of Gotze coming to us

Outrageous talent

Call for the Gotze Herder to bring him to us.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Halibut-Thumb

• I apologise for my shit user name and piss-poor spelling. You know, my friends and family tell me they are surprised I couldn't think of anything better. Ah well, such is life.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Lesbian ham?
« Reply #2111 on: May 13, 2016, 02:28:13 pm »
Klopp was the guy who gave Goetze his chance and coached him into the best teenage footballer in the world at the time. He will be immense if we sign him, best signing since Suarez.
In Soviet Russia, fish fingers you.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2112 on: May 13, 2016, 02:35:44 pm »
Surprised at the price being mentioned. Looks like a bargain with some of the other early summer fees floating about.

Would love us to add a couple of players with his talent level but not fussed either way if its him. We just need to be shopping smart & adding players to complement those we have.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2113 on: May 13, 2016, 02:38:06 pm »
Regarding the price, if true, this tells me that Bayern also are terrible when it comes to selling players. Just like Barcelona. Bayern and Barca have sold the likes of Cesc, Alexis and Kroos for fairly low price. Compare this to the prices of the likes of David Luiz, Cuadrado etc. who are far worse players yet cost more than what Bayern and Barca got.

20m euros for Gotze in today's market would be hilariously low.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2114 on: May 13, 2016, 03:06:46 pm »
Regarding the price, if true, this tells me that Bayern also are terrible when it comes to selling players. Just like Barcelona. Bayern and Barca have sold the likes of Cesc, Alexis and Kroos for fairly low price. Compare this to the prices of the likes of David Luiz, Cuadrado etc. who are far worse players yet cost more than what Bayern and Barca got.

20m euros for Gotze in today's market would be hilariously low.

Last year of his contract surely has a big effect on the price.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2115 on: May 13, 2016, 03:09:21 pm »
Last year of his contract surely has a big effect on the price.
Yeah, I guess so. But was Kroos in his last year of contract, too? I cannot remember Bayern selling well.

It's just weird that they spend 35m+45m add-on for an unproven teenager but are selling a young world cup winner for 20-25m euros. World has gone mad.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2116 on: May 13, 2016, 03:10:23 pm »
Yeah, I guess so. But was Kroos in his last year of contract, too? I cannot remember Bayern selling well.

It's just weird that they spend 35m+45m add-on for an unproven teenager but are selling a young world cup winner for 20-25m euros. World has gone mad.

24m for Kroos didn't seem a lot at the time but I'd be hard pressed to argue he's been a bargain for Madrid, even at that price.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2117 on: May 13, 2016, 03:15:45 pm »
24m for Kroos didn't seem a lot at the time but I'd be hard pressed to argue he's been a bargain for Madrid, even at that price.
Yeah, you know what I think of Kroos, he is a true flop. Kroos would have suited Barca better, and his position isn't central/defensive mid anyway. But with all that said, he has to be judged for what he has shown for Madrid. Perhaps the player they should replace first in their starting line-up, the very weakest player in their first 11.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2118 on: May 13, 2016, 03:18:53 pm »
Yeah, you know what I think of Kroos, he is a true flop. Kroos would have suited Barca better, and his position isn't central/defensive mid anyway. But with all that said, he has to be judged for what he has shown for Madrid. Perhaps the player they should replace first in their starting line-up, the very weakest player in their first 11.

He's been played a tad out of position but he really has been terrible. Real are good at selling players they no longer want for big money though. £40m for Ozil and £55m for Di Maria were excellent fees.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2119 on: May 13, 2016, 03:29:02 pm »
Always seem to have clauses, buybacks ect with the younger players let go. Well run in that regard.