Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 522720 times)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6280 on: March 29, 2024, 09:27:55 am »
I think the worst thing for me is Richard Keys was wrong. Shocked and dev’od by the thought.

As soon as he said we'd get Alonso it was over.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6281 on: March 29, 2024, 09:28:14 am »
True. I said earlier in the thread that anyone we hire is a question mark because we want someone for the medium term and the established managers don't tend to stick around for long.

I just found placing Xabi on a pedestal puzzling.

Its a combination of success, which lets be honest he is on course to do and quite spectacularly as well now, experience of this club and a well known and big name that clearly made him the most obvious candidate and i say that as someone who isnt that enamoured with his personality, not convinced with his supposed love for the club and until recently questioned his success.

If we are honest he had more in the for column than against and certainly against other managers. You look at the others and whilst i think their ability is underplayed, i dont see a natural manager there and certainly not one who delivers us success in terms of leagues. I have always believed it will be the manager after next that we look to do that.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6282 on: March 29, 2024, 09:28:51 am »
If the new manager wins they’ll last - if they don’t they won’t
If they win the fans will like them… if they don’t they won’t

It's about leeway. As KH said Rodgers was always just a few bad results from fans grumbling, he wasn't very well liked.

It would be better for our manager to be well liked personally so they have more time with us, because I think all of them shortlisted are going to need a fair bit of time

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6283 on: March 29, 2024, 09:32:15 am »
I'll give any manager time if it's clear they have a plan and aren't just winging it. From the moment Klopp arrived it was clear what he wanted to do and even at our worst I could see his plan. Hodgson was fucking clueless. I never wanted him but I would have given him time if he had a plan and when he threw Torres under the bus then you can go fuck yourself.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6284 on: March 29, 2024, 09:32:27 am »
*cough* Hodgson *cough*

I never got behind him. He was a shit manager before, during, and after Liverpool.

It takes a lot for Liverpool fans not to get behind the manager. Hodgson was such a bad fit from day one but he made things so much worse for himself with the shit he came out with and his general attitude. The fact the club were on the brink at the time under Hicks and Gillett wasn't helping the general mood either.

Rodgers could be a real tit, but was generally always backed at the game. r
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6285 on: March 29, 2024, 09:33:07 am »
If the new manager wins they’ll last - if they don’t they won’t
If they win the fans will like them… if they don’t they won’t

In that case the next manager is a bit screwed because they are going to have to win straight away. The idea that a new manager comes in, we drop to fourth and dont win a cup or have a real good challenge in europe that the fans will back when they are a personality that isnt very connectable is just wrong.

Like it or not, we need a connection with the manager but we also need success. If we believe in the man then we can forgive a bad season. Basically, Frank, De Zerbi, Amorim, Nagelsman etc have to be capable of winning pots from the very start because, apart from Amorim who I dont have any information on at all, the rest are not going to have that connection with the fans.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 09:35:54 am by killer-heels »

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6286 on: March 29, 2024, 09:34:44 am »
I think a great man-manager is essential, especially with our emerging kids. For me (and this is my personal opinion) this is more important than silverware won. Zidane has 3 CL and 2 titles but I wouldn't trust him to lead a young team with a relatively modest budget.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6287 on: March 29, 2024, 09:34:46 am »
It's about leeway. As KH said Rodgers was always just a few bad results from fans grumbling, he wasn't very well liked.

It would be better for our manager to be well liked personally so they have more time with us, because I think all of them shortlisted are going to need a fair bit of time

Its difficult to quantify thought isnt it. We look at a manager and we question whether the guy in the dugout looks a Liverpool manager. It may seem bollocks to the other clubs and the outside world but we all understand that after having a range of managers.

Offline crewlove

• Main Stander
« Reply #6288 on: March 29, 2024, 09:36:24 am »
Not exactly surprised by Alonso's news. I don't know why, but I have not really believed into him coming to us. Obviously I wanted him, but it just felt too obvious to happen. And on the other hand, there is Madrid's job in the background and whenever Madrid is in the background we don't have any chance.

The best bet whould be to somehow convince Jurgen to at least fulfil his extended contract.

But it is impossible. Second best option IMO is Amorim. I like his work and what he has achieved. We don't know how it would translate from Portugal to England though, but with the other options it is how it is.

I am completely against De Zerbi and I would take Nagelsmann over him. Still not that convinced especially given how I understand he was found out to be leaking team news to his journalist girlfriend. But given the options, you get the idea.

Maybe somebody not mentioned in the media that much? But I am not sure who could it be, market is grim at the moment. Eh Jurgen.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6289 on: March 29, 2024, 09:37:20 am »
Its a combination of success, which lets be honest he is on course to do and quite spectacularly as well now, experience of this club and a well known and big name that clearly made him the most obvious candidate and i say that as someone who isnt that enamoured with his personality, not convinced with his supposed love for the club and until recently questioned his success.

If we are honest he had more in the for column than against and certainly against other managers. You look at the others and whilst i think their ability is underplayed, i dont see a natural manager there and certainly not one who delivers us success in terms of leagues. I have always believed it will be the manager after next that we look to do that.
To be sure, a manager has to have done it consistently. Gerrard looked like he was tailor made for this job when he was at Rangers and even Brendan Rodgers almost won the league miraculously with a very weak squad.

Imagine if Rodgers actually won it, that wouldn't have meant hiring him wouldn't be a risk because it was just one season.  Ranieri can be placed in that bracket too.

An established manager is a manager like Mourinho that guarantees trophies. We're not shopping for that. We want someone that has the potential to manage this very good squad of players and we can't judge until next season because you never know how the new guy adapts to a bigger club.

We just have to give the new manager our support and not write him off before he he even joins because it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 09:38:58 am by MonsLibpool »

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6290 on: March 29, 2024, 09:39:07 am »
To be sure, a manager has to have done it consistently. Gerrard looked like he was tailor made for this job when he was at Rangers and even Brendan Rodgers almost won the league miraculously with a very weak squad.

Imagine if Rodgers actually won it, that wouldn't have meant hiring him wouldn't be a risk because it was just one season.  Ranieri can be placed in that bracket too.

An established manager is a manager like Mourinho that guarantees trophies. We're not shopping for that. We want someone that has the potential to manage this very good squad of players and we can't judge until next season because you never know how the new guy adapts to a bigger club.

Never wanted Gerrard. He doesn't have a clearly defined style of play.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6291 on: March 29, 2024, 09:39:31 am »
I agree being likeable is a big thing. In Rodgers' last season there were many posters going on about his teeth and his love life as sticks to beat him with. As soon as we struggled the pitchforks were out very quickly and it was quite ugly at times. Although online doesn't always match up with the overall fanbase of course.

Hodgson is an extra special case where the previous manager should never have been sacked in the first place, he was way out of his depth, he said some fucking stupid things and behaved like a prick at times as well. The full monty. He was on a hiding to nothing but that was mainly all his own daft fault.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6292 on: March 29, 2024, 09:39:53 am »
I'm assuming we aren't looking,  but s there any decent managers in Series A, Ligue 1, or La Liga that is worth us looking at?Inzaghi seems to have done a brilliant job with Inter but not getting mentioned really anywhere, I watch pretty much no European football now so no idea who the 'exciting' managers would be there.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6293 on: March 29, 2024, 09:40:36 am »

Look at Rodgers's first season though. We were never higher than 6th (mid table for much of it). We were knocked out of both cups early, out of Europe early to a poor team, never won either derby, lost twice to the Mancs and the football was largely crap with no sign of the tiki-taka football he'd been given the job to implement. He lost 3 of his first 5 PL games (including a 3-0 hammering to West Brom and home defeats to Arsenal and United) and drew the other two.

He wasn't exactly winning the fans over but there was no dissent towards him, not at the match anyway, there was no suggestion he was under pressure. Then 2nd season we were challenging and the fans got right behind him.

Liverpool managers are given plenty of time with the fans, unless they piss everybody off from the start like Hodgson.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 09:44:02 am by Fromola »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6294 on: March 29, 2024, 09:41:00 am »

We just have to give the new manager our support and not write him off before he he even joins because it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

We shouldnt write him off but i think people are deluding themselves believing that the next one will be a long term one. There is very much a chance we are shopping out for Alonso again in 12-24 months. I wouldnt be surprised if the new manager gets offered a three year contract as well.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6295 on: March 29, 2024, 09:41:30 am »
I agree being likeable is a big thing. In Rodgers' last season there were many posters going on about his teeth and his love life as sticks to beat him with. As soon as we struggled the pitchforks were out very quickly and it was quite ugly at times. Although online doesn't always match up with the overall fanbase of course.

Hodgson is an extra special case where the previous manager should never have been sacked in the first place, he was way out of his depth, he said some fucking stupid things and behaved like a prick at times as well. The full monty. He was on a hiding to nothing but that was mainly all his own daft fault.

Thing is the people on here are by in large a lot more forgiving than fans at large.

Most fans I know don't like Rodgers at all, and don't give him the same leeway he has on here.

Generally if the fans are dissatisfied here, they are really dissatisfied offline

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6296 on: March 29, 2024, 09:41:39 am »

A draw at Everton would be utopia? Just fuck off and take your shit football with you.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6297 on: March 29, 2024, 09:42:11 am »
It’s all guess work of course but I don’t think the new manager will need time to be successful
He’s walking in to a dream situation - there’s just so much talent in the squad and a lot of it is pre peak with the money to add

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6298 on: March 29, 2024, 09:42:51 am »
We shouldnt write him off but i think people are deluding themselves believing that the next one will be a long term one. There is very much a chance we are shopping out for Alonso again in 12-24 months. I wouldnt be surprised if the new manager gets offered a three year contract as well.

If Alonso joined the moment Real are on the lookout for a new manager the circus would begin. Frankly, we're well rid of that.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6299 on: March 29, 2024, 09:47:27 am »

It's different when they've been here a few years though. You're judged on your record then, it's your own team and things can sour over time. Houllier and Benitez's last seasons were similar.

It's about being given time and leeway from the start. Managers do get that here, unless, as stated, they manage to fuck everything up and piss everyone off like Hodgson.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6300 on: March 29, 2024, 09:47:41 am »
Conceicao has done very well in Europe.
Porto very impressive against Arsenal imo

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6301 on: March 29, 2024, 09:48:21 am »
Conceicao has done very well in Europe.
Porto very impressive against Arsenal imo

Good manager, absolute dickhead.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6302 on: March 29, 2024, 09:48:23 am »
We could do far worse than Emery IMO. He's not being spoken about loads but his track record is very good, he's built up experience in this league, his European pedigree is superb. Classy guy as well who I think people would get behind.

What we do have to remember is the squad is being left in pretty spectacular shape. The people behind the scenes have a proven track record. This isn't a Ferguson leaving united scenario. You can't replace Klopp, but any tips manager has a great chance to add titles to their CVs with this squad and set up, unlike the basket case scenario a trail of managers found themselves in at Old Trafford.

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6303 on: March 29, 2024, 09:48:59 am »
I'm not bitter at all but I hope Alonso bottles the league now

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #6304 on: March 29, 2024, 09:49:57 am »
I'd probably prefer Nagelsmann out of remaining candidates if it wasn't for the Euros. And don't give me the 'skateboards to work' crap, I don't give a fuck. He plays god football and is pretty experienced and successful for his age.
He doesn’t wear socks with shoes. No way
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6305 on: March 29, 2024, 09:50:27 am »
Am I the one who is kinda tired of counter-pressing heavy metal? Biggest disappointment for me is not getting the possession style football with attacking midfielders rather than wingers wih Xabi's new system. We have the team for it and the thought of a Wirtz type coming in excited me...

Amorim it is then. I guess De Zerbi would be in line with what I want but too many question marks over him? I just don't know what to expect now...made the mistake of thinking Xabi was happening.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6306 on: March 29, 2024, 09:52:18 am »
Not arsed really given Alonso's lack of experience. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a crap season next season and both us and Bayern will have moved on.

This is nonsense pal. I'm absolutely gutted. No point hiding it as it's a kick in the bollox.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6307 on: March 29, 2024, 09:53:42 am »
Am I the one who is kinda tired of counter-pressing heavy metal? Biggest disappointment for me is not getting the possession style football with attacking midfielders rather than wingers wih Xabi's new system. We have the team for it and the thought of a Wirtz type coming in excited me...

I think passing the opposition to death is boring. From a fitness point of view, Arsenal and City (possession-based) seem to have far fewer injuries than we do.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6308 on: March 29, 2024, 09:55:06 am »
Look at Rodgers's first season though. We were never higher than 6th (mid table for much of it). We were knocked out of both cups early, out of Europe early to a poor team, never won either derby or beat the Mancs and the football was largely crap with no sign of the tiki-taka football he'd been given the job to implement.

He wasn't exactly winning the fans over but there was no dissent towards him, not at the match anyway, there was no suggestion he was under pressure. Then 2nd season we were challenging and the fans got right behind him.

Liverpool fans are given plenty of time with the fans, unless they piss everybody off from the start like Hodgson.

Every manager is getting 12 months. But there were question marks against Rodgers all the way through that first season but also an acceptance we were in a different place then.

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #6309 on: March 29, 2024, 09:56:07 am »
If it is true that Alonso was our number 1 target and we made that clear to him and he’s rejected it, you have to be disappointed in him but also applaud his confidence he’ll get another big job offer. If we aren’t a big enough attraction for him, forget him and move on. He might live to regret it - if he ends up at Madrid, he won’t get the support and patience we’d give him, a run of shit results and he’ll be gone. I did think his past playing career with us would swing it in our favour but apparently not. Anyone else seems a bit underwhelming to be honest.
JFT97

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6310 on: March 29, 2024, 09:57:36 am »

I never felt Gerrard was tailor made for this job and I'm delighted he'll be nowhere near it.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6311 on: March 29, 2024, 09:58:53 am »
We could do far worse than Emery IMO. He's not being spoken about loads but his track record is very good, he's built up experience in this league, his European pedigree is superb. Classy guy as well who I think people would get behind.

What we do have to remember is the squad is being left in pretty spectacular shape. The people behind the scenes have a proven track record. This isn't a Ferguson leaving united scenario. You can't replace Klopp, but any tips manager has a great chance to add titles to their CVs with this squad and set up, unlike the basket case scenario a trail of managers found themselves in at Old Trafford.

Yep, fully agree. I'd be happy if he got the job.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #6312 on: March 29, 2024, 09:59:20 am »
*cough* Hodgson *cough*

I never got behind him. He was a shit manager before, during, and after Liverpool.

Well that’s my point. He was doomed from the start because he’s a bellend.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6313 on: March 29, 2024, 09:59:30 am »

Amorim it is then. I guess De Zerbi would be in line with what I want but too many question marks over him? I just don't know what to expect now...made the mistake of thinking Xabi was happening.

I want to see us be defensively sound first and foremost and more controlled.

The year we won the league (and most of 18/19) it was built on clean sheets and didn't give much away. We've never really got back to that since the lockdown.

The way we play can be too open and the highly charged football probably leaves us more sucetible to injury in comparison to City and Arsenal who rarely seem to get injuries.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6314 on: March 29, 2024, 09:59:51 am »
What's Gareth Barry up to these days? Comes recommended as well.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6315 on: March 29, 2024, 10:02:00 am »
It's different when they've been here a few years though. You're judged on your record then, it's your own team and things can sour over time. Houllier and Benitez's last seasons were similar.

It's about being given time and leeway from the start. Managers do get that here, unless, as stated, they manage to fuck everything up and piss everyone off like Hodgson.

I'm not sure that's true. There were obviously rumblings about Rafa but I wouldn't say it turned sour amongst fans that knew what they were talking about. People recognised the problems off the pitch and supported him all the way, the away end chanted his name away at City early in Hodgsons reign.

I think Rafa's standing is indicative of the opposite argument to be honest. Because he was such a great man and so loved he gets a bit of a pass where others absolutely wouldn't. Obviously, his past successes also helped! But by 2010 we hadnt won a major trophy since 2006, we'd gone backwards and nobody wanted him gone. Even now, he can manage in China, represent two of our absolute biggest rivals and still be pretty universally loved. I think our club and fanbase more than any gets behind personalities and that often buys more time. If you don't seem to represent the values we like to see then you'd better win things quickly or your time will be up.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6316 on: March 29, 2024, 10:02:05 am »
I want to see us be defensively sound first and foremost and more controlled.

The year we won the league (and most of 18/19) it was built on clean sheets and didn't give much away. We've never really got back to that since the lockdown.

The way we play can be too open and the highly charged football probably leaves us more sucetible to injury in comparison to City and Arsenal who rarely seem to get injuries.

Amorim has an excellent defensive record.

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #6317 on: March 29, 2024, 10:03:06 am »
Think it’s now or never with Xabi. Just don’t think these type of paths align very often, could be wrong, time will tell. I think it would have been a good move for him (might still be yet), I think the fans would be inclined to give him time, perhaps more than others if things didn’t go all that well from the start.

Let’s see, all we have are some press briefings… from who though. For all we know he might have just said he is not interested in talking to other clubs and focusing on where he is until the end of the season. Wouldn’t be unusual for the press to misconstrue someone’s words.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6318 on: March 29, 2024, 10:04:40 am »
I never felt Gerrard was tailor made for this job and I'm delighted he'll be nowhere near it.

I wouldn't have gone near him as manager unless he came to the PL and showed something. If he'd gone to Villa and done the kind of job Emery's done for example then the clamor would have been for Gerrard rather than Alonso. Instead he just wasn't up to it.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6319 on: March 29, 2024, 10:06:28 am »
If Xabi has decided to say no to us, he's going to regret it - its the perfect time to take over and he might never get the chance again. Ah well, his loss.

I wouldn't have gone near him as manager unless he came to the PL and showed something. If he'd gone to Villa and done the kind of job Emery's done for example then the clamor would have been for Gerrard rather than Alonso. Instead he just wasn't up to it.

Agreed - I also felt he needed to come here and coach under Jurgen and learn from the best, he'll never manage the club now.
Jurgen YNWA