Author Topic: The way Hodgson speaks of Liverpool in the press, a matter for concern?  (Read 33942 times)

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
Re: The way Hodgson speaks of Liverpool in the press, a matter for concern?
« Reply #400 on: September 20, 2010, 05:51:48 pm »
Aren't we three points off the relegation zone as well?

Depends if you're glass is permanently half empty or half full?
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #401 on: September 20, 2010, 05:53:37 pm »
Roy needs to come out fighting in his next press conference, bang on about Nani for a while and how Rick O Shea should have ealked for his challenge on Nando. Fight back Roy and stick up for the lads.

Also, fuck off your friendship with that c*nt down the East Lancs RD.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #402 on: September 20, 2010, 05:56:05 pm »
Roy needs to come out fighting in his next press conference, bang on about Nani for a while and how Rick O Shea should have ealked for his challenge on Nando. Fight back Roy and stick up for the lads.

Also, fuck off your friendship with that c*nt down the East Lancs RD.

That's the thing, I don't think Mr Ferguson was too arsed about upsetting Roy.  So why should Roy give two fooks about upsetting him.
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #403 on: September 20, 2010, 05:56:11 pm »

:thumbup
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #404 on: September 20, 2010, 05:57:50 pm »
you do the right thing at the right time!...thats the answer surely
sometimes its best to just get rid,sometimes it aint.
These two need to talk it through.
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #405 on: September 20, 2010, 05:58:24 pm »
That's the thing, I don't think Mr Ferguson was too arsed about upsetting Roy.  So why should Roy give two fooks about upsetting him.

Because it will put him in the press as sticking up for the lads. Or be forever refered to as a Rafa-esque 'Rant'.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: September 20, 2010, 06:02:28 pm »
No.

Him losing football games is.

In fact, I'm more concerned about the ordeal he seems to go through every ninety minutes, similar to Wenger but much much worse. Heart attack / stroke material that.

Win - he's a noble winner
Lose - Asskisser.

I don't know how much the players bother about what he says in the press either (none if they've got some sense). It's the loss / manner of it that colours everything else naturally.

Personally, if my manager cowered and fidgeted like that during the game and spent the time before it trying to underplay the desire to win, I wouldn't rate him. But we're dealing with professional footballers who have spent years dealing with the media crap so I'm not too convinced what he says in the press is going to suddenly make our players lose will. I think quite a few of them are spineless bastards anyway so there isn't much lower to go.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: September 20, 2010, 06:17:58 pm »
Fergie called Torres a cheat. Best stick up for your players and highlight the c*nts cheating.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: September 20, 2010, 06:22:48 pm »
The mention of the R-word here when comparing Hodgson to his predecessor is an unfortunate red herring. Unlike a lot of people, I wasn't weeping buckets about Rafa's departure, even if I didn't want it like that and at that time. But I was bricking it about what was to come. And so it came to pass.

Yesterday's utter embarrassment in the post-match press conference just serves yet another reminder (amongst the myriad of footballing ones) why someone like Pellegrini was the man for the job. Can you imagine the Chilean letting that bitter purple-nosed oxygen thief get away with comments like that without response? Never mind puckering up and bending over to be verbally spanked.

I know this will turned round on me in terms of what it says about the sort of supporter I am (and I honestly never thought I'd say this about a Liverpool manager whatever their faults) but after yesterday I am ashamed that Roy Hodgson is our manager.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: September 20, 2010, 06:25:19 pm »
Why does Hodgson need to point out what everyone else on the face of the Earth saw with their own two eyes yesterday?

Hodgson would be ace though if he said "Mr Ferguson is a scabby whore, and I don't like the way he interracts with children".

Offline Deno

• Anny Roader
  • we have many possibilities
« Reply #410 on: September 20, 2010, 06:29:19 pm »
The mention of the R-word here when comparing Hodgson to his predecessor is an unfortunate red herring. Unlike a lot of people, I wasn't weeping buckets about Rafa's departure, even if I didn't want it like that and at that time. But I was bricking it about what was to come. And so it came to pass.

Yesterday's utter embarrassment in the post-match press conference just serves yet another reminder (amongst the myriad of footballing ones) why someone like Pellegrini was the man for the job. Can you imagine the Chilean letting that bitter purple-nosed oxygen thief get away with comments like that without response? Never mind puckering up and bending over to be verbally spanked.

I know this will turned round on me in terms of what it says about the sort of supporter I am (and I honestly never thought I'd say this about a Liverpool manager whatever their faults) but after yesterday I am ashamed that Roy Hodgson is our manager.

I wish I didn't, but sadly I agree right now, I want to be proved wrong, I really hope Hodgson makes me look like a fickle twat.

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: September 20, 2010, 06:31:49 pm »
Heard his post match interview on the radio this morning, made me cringe. It made me want to vomit, next week Il keep a bucket handy.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #412 on: September 20, 2010, 06:33:23 pm »
Link to post match interview anyone?

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40:53 pm »
Link to post match interview anyone?
Trust me you don't want to hear it. Unless your blood has a higher boiling point than usually found in humans.

I thought Rafa's fact-based monologue the season before last was ill-judged (and so it proved) but at least it got under that fucker's skin and stood up and said what no-one else had the balls to say. And I admired him for it, even if I cringed a little at the content.

But the other extreme, as we saw with Hodgson yesterday, was indefensible and made my stomach churn.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #414 on: September 20, 2010, 06:45:13 pm »
Trust me you don't want to hear it. Unless your blood has a higher boiling point than usually found in humans.

I thought Rafa's fact-based monologue the season before last was ill-judged (and so it proved) but at least it got under that fucker's skin and stood up and said what no-one else had the balls to say. And I admired him for it, even if I cringed a little at the content.

But the other extreme, as we saw with Hodgson yesterday, was indefensible and made my stomach churn.

Well I would like to see what people are going on about.....

Offline Captain Haddock

• No New Posts. Ever.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #415 on: September 20, 2010, 06:57:21 pm »
i just still can't believe we let Rafa go, shithouse fans and a shithouse board saw to that tho.

shithouse results saw to that too.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #416 on: September 20, 2010, 06:59:15 pm »

We shouldn't even be looking at our glasses five games into the season. Are we Newcastle now?

For the record Hodgson started badly at Fulham I believe (lost a few games) before picking up and saving them from relegation. The following season (08/09) they came seventh. Not bad is it?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: September 20, 2010, 07:02:09 pm »
We shouldn't even be looking at our glasses five games into the season. Are we Newcastle now?

For the record Hodgson started badly at Fulham I believe (lost a few games) before picking up and saving them from relegation. The following season (08/09) they came seventh. Not bad is it?

Let's hope he saves us from relegation then. ;)

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #418 on: September 20, 2010, 08:13:10 pm »
ok got to say it is depressing where some of our fanbase's heads are these days! We are not Newcastle so get behind the manager of the club you claim to support of just move on and support another club!

Caviat to that is, YES RAFA IS AND WAS FOR US A LEGEND BUT HE AINT HERE NOW, BUT ROY DIDNT SHAFT HIM A COUPLE OF SENIOR PLAYERS AND THE MEDIA DID THAT AS WELL AS SOME DODGY RESULTS!

None of which is Roy's fault, yet we get idiots on here posting wonderful comments like fuck off Roy!

Christ sake he is not the problem the problem is in your head, you are simply pissed off because he isnt Rafa, hardly clever thinking is it?

He says nothing it is wrong , he says anything it is wrong, god knows with some of you he should be hung for farting!

I have never known such a bunch of disgraceful mealy mouthed idiots, not fans, not supporters, not fair minded, not the Liverpool Way at all.

So get off this guys back, and support him and save your anger for something worthwhile like trying to save this club, rather than pile this useless bile on a manager doing his best in a club in turmoil!

Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #419 on: September 20, 2010, 08:20:32 pm »
ok got to say it is depressing where some of our fanbase's heads are these days! We are not Newcastle so get behind the manager of the club you claim to support of just move on and support another club!

Caviat to that is, YES RAFA IS AND WAS FOR US A LEGEND BUT HE AINT HERE NOW, BUT ROY DIDNT SHAFT HIM A COUPLE OF SENIOR PLAYERS AND THE MEDIA DID THAT AS WELL AS SOME DODGY RESULTS!

None of which is Roy's fault, yet we get idiots on here posting wonderful comments like fuck off Roy!

Christ sake he is not the problem the problem is in your head, you are simply pissed off because he isnt Rafa, hardly clever thinking is it?

He says nothing it is wrong , he says anything it is wrong, god knows with some of you he should be hung for farting!

I have never known such a bunch of disgraceful mealy mouthed idiots, not fans, not supporters, not fair minded, not the Liverpool Way at all.

So get off this guys back, and support him and save your anger for something worthwhile like trying to save this club, rather than pile this useless bile on a manager doing his best in a club in turmoil!

needed saying  :wellin

Offline JDM

• Main Stander
« Reply #420 on: September 20, 2010, 08:28:44 pm »
Kenny is still at the club yet we end up with Roy in charge, makes my blood boil that hodgson was even considered for the managers job, let alone getting it. Didn't want him when he was appointed and still don't want him now, and if that pisses people off then so be it

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: September 20, 2010, 08:34:09 pm »
Kenny is still at the club yet we end up with Roy in charge, makes my blood boil that hodgson was even considered for the managers job, let alone getting it. Didn't want him when he was appointed and still don't want him now, and if that pisses people off then so be it

I may be in the minority, but that is perhaps the only decision the board has got right this summer. Kenny is far too important for the club to be the manager.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline bulb head.

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #422 on: September 20, 2010, 08:40:25 pm »
He has made some good signings, but its not hard to spot a good player who has been around for a while.

Miereles, good signing.
Joe Cole, good signing.
Brad Jones, good singing.
Christian Poulsen, potentially good signing.

Paul Konchesky, is a mid table left back bought by a mid table manager.

Liverpool Football Club is too big for Roy Hodgson is out of his depth. If / When we are sold i hope the first action the owners to take are to get him out of here.

Hodgson OUT !

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: September 20, 2010, 08:41:38 pm »
'The way Liverpool fans speak of their manager on the Internet after less than a dozen games, a matter of concern or just a fucking disgrace?'
Well said mate, people can have their doubts but there's absolutely no benefit of doubt being given here - we've had a pretty difficult start to the season and people would just rather not admit it.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: September 20, 2010, 08:47:15 pm »

I tend to disagree with some of what you say mate but again well done for saying it. When we were playing dire football last year dropping points everywhere it was rammed down my throat to just get use to it until the owners go. It suited some agendas see. But now there's a completely different agenda. Should he wish to PT could write a cracking, positive article about how well Roy's done this season under the circumstances and how the future looks bright. You know how its done.

Offline bulb head.

• Main Stander
« Reply #425 on: September 20, 2010, 08:47:18 pm »

Nothing will ever compare to being in the Ataturk on that special night, but every dog has it's day. Last season the writing was on the wall for Benitez. He had lost the plot, his tactics were poor, we lost good players because of his attitude, his interviews were an embarassment, his team selections were questionable and his substitions on occasions, need i say more?

Not being funny or nothing, we lost Xabi Alonso PURELY because of the way Rafa Benitez dealt with the Gareth Barry siutuation the previous summer. For that alone his job should of been called in to question.

Rafa needed to go and Hodgson was not the right replacement, not in a million years.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: September 20, 2010, 08:49:25 pm »
He has made some good signings, but its not hard to spot a good player who has been around for a while.

Miereles, good signing.
Joe Cole, good signing.
Brad Jones, good singing.
Christian Poulsen, potentially good signing.

Paul Konchesky, is a mid table left back bought by a mid table manager.

Liverpool Football Club is too big for Roy Hodgson is out of his depth. If / When we are sold i hope the first action the owners to take are to get him out of here.

Hodgson OUT !
Thats it lad, put the boot in needlessly. I may have a bit to say myself in December, but you know what....I'll have a lot more to judge the team on by then. That's not how a good Aigburth lad would act at all.

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: September 20, 2010, 08:49:30 pm »

But we've been put in a Newcastle type scenario, IE: we get a manager the majority don't want.
I've been a fan since I could could kick a ball, I grew up watching us lift trophy after trophy and I've watched us fall from glory and then some years later I watched a great spaniard with great ideas and passion, start building for the future, I saw him get closer every year and then I saw the internal war break out which inevitably brought the whole project crashing to the ground. At this very moment, we are worse than Newcastle.

Offline bulb head.

• Main Stander
« Reply #428 on: September 20, 2010, 08:51:34 pm »
Well said mate, people can have their doubts but there's absolutely no benefit of doubt being given here - we've had a pretty difficult start to the season and people would just rather not admit it.

Defensive tactics away to Birmingham, no cause for concern?

Scraping a 1 - 0 home to West Brom, no cause for concern?

Yesterday was the nail in the coffin. It prove that Roy Hodgson is a mid table manager. We are getting trounced by United, 2 - 0. Dead and buried. 2 quick goals, they are on the racks and we are brimming with confidence. What did we do? Surrender the ball to United for the last 20 minutes to try and protect the draw. Absolutley fucking diabolical management. He even said that was the idea in his post match interview. Disguting !

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: September 20, 2010, 08:51:46 pm »
I am not mad on Roy Hodgson but we have to give him time. Meireles looks a good footballer and we kept the ball well y'day at times.

However, I will give him credit for his level-headed and balanced approach to his interviews. He behaved with a bit of decorum and class yesterday amid all the shite that gin-soak was throwing about and in truth he sounded like one or two Liverpool managers of the past.

Whether he can emulate those managers on the pitch is another thing but I won't slag him for being a reasonable and thoughtful person.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #430 on: September 20, 2010, 08:55:42 pm »

Thats it lad, put the boot in needlessly. I may have a bit to say myself in December, but you know what....I'll have a lot more to judge the team on by then. That's not how a good Aigburth lad would act at all.
a lad who says he was in the ataturk and is a season ticket holder?...amazing,how short the memories are heh
never give up when it comes to liverpool?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:00:13 pm by horne »

Offline bulb head.

• Main Stander
« Reply #431 on: September 20, 2010, 08:55:42 pm »

Football, game of opinions. No?

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: September 20, 2010, 08:58:57 pm »
Back to the lines of the original topic, to put it simply Roy is in a no win situation when it comes to us fans.

If he says "We can win the league", he sets himself up for instant failure. It won't happen this year. Even the usually most optimistic of our players Pepe Reina has admitted even top 4 will be tough.

So he reverts to type, if you switched his references of Liverpool to Fulham, he may as well be talking from last season. This year is all about consolidation. Anyone that thinks that we can switch managers and a have minor first team overhaul without any struggles
is only going to have a season full of pain. Top 4 would be a huge success if it happens.

We know he is not Rafa, but lets get behind the man. Certainly we can't judge him until at least Christmas where our FOUR new first teamers Cole, Poulsen, Meireles and Konchesky have had a chance to get bed in. Not to mention the other players who need to learn Roy's systems.

I'd be very sad to see the day where our fans force a manager out of the club, especially when someone like Martin O'neil is waiting in the wings. 

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: September 20, 2010, 09:15:32 pm »
Back to the lines of the original topic, to put it simply Roy is in a no win situation when it comes to us fans.

That´s funny cause it thought at the beginning of the season it´s the other way around. The press, the players and the board welcomed him with open arms and a lot of credit which has come to be absolutely true so far when you consider the statements on him.
And the fans were neutral on him, a lot very positive, including me.

But Roy managed to make so many questionable decisions and statements on and off the pitch that it´s hard to close eyes and trust him considering the performances under him since day one and the importance of the season for the club.

Sorry, you have to be worried.

I´d love to believe that statements of the players, as they are all listed on the clubs page. Joe, Carra, Stevie. But for some reason they worrying me...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:19:15 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: September 20, 2010, 09:19:04 pm »
Some of what is being said on here about Roy is worse than the abuse that Souness (rightly) got. How the fuck can this be justified?!

Sky and the media in general have fucked this game over so much that it is a generally accepted and embraced that managers slating each other is an accepted and required part of the game. If you manage Liverpool, you must attack Ferguson. If you're the manager of Arsenal, you have to hate everyone, etc. And most of you accept it and believe now that it adds a spicy extra dimension to the game. If you're not whingeing like Taggart, Wenger, Mourinho, Allardyce, then you're fucking useless. It makes me cringe what some of these come out with.

Shanks would not have lasted 10 secs here, neither would Ron Saunders, Bob Paisley, Bobby Robson or anyone of that ilk. Even Cloughie had the utmost respect for other managers. They were honest, pragmatic and above all else, respected. They had their own characters and gave us all legendary quotes, but they all understood one thing: They were not bigger than the club itself - they were just the focal point for the football team.

I'm sick to fucking death of managers from ALL clubs gobbing off and whingeing. Now we see a manager that is not into all that shit, I'm quite happy. He's not towing the company line regarding the ownership situation (long may that continue) but similarly he's not getting embroiled in shit slinging. I mean come on: Alistair fucking Campbell could not dress up the state the clubs in at the moment, so why should we expect Roy to tell us the shit sandwich we have on our plate tastes good?!

Rafa was a fantastic manager and yes, I am a supporter of his, but my one criticism of him was that he got wrapped up in all the mud slinging. I said at the time he should have stayed out and concentrated on getting the results, but I felt he got caught up too often. Rafa has gone, but will never be forgotten. Yes, he should have been given the chance to right the wrongs, but he wasn't and we got Roy as the manager of Liverpool Football Club.

In some of your's opinion he may be limited in ability. That's the beauty of supporting a team - you have the right to debate the pros and cons and some of the posts here are pretty bloody well constructed arguments against him, but there is a worrying amount of posts on here that are just plain and simply out of order - it's pure vitriol and as such is totally uncalled for. Reasoned debate - yes. Abuse - no.

He's only getting it because he was appointed manager by a corrupt regime and presides over a wobbling club who had just hounded out a legend of a manger. Given who else was out there, I'm glad we got him as the thought of Hughes, O'Neill, Maureenio made my blood run cold. Give him your support and above all else don;t lose sight of the fact that he is not the issue with the club - those cancerous leeches are.

Hicks and Gillett out.

spot on mate, sky and the media in general are made up when managers start having a go at each other, they are even more made up if a manager they have been pilling the pressure on snaps and goes off on one like keegan or ron atkinson, then they have something to show on those crappy christmas specials where all the cronies sit in a studio and have a good laugh at the likes of keegan, benitez`s `rant` gave the pundits a festive chuckle as well i seem to remember.
personally i dont want any liverpool manager having a slanging match with the manager of another club, years ago we used to do our talking on the pitch, thats where it counts, not in newspapers or on sky sports news but on the pitch.
thats what i want us to be like again.

Offline Fernando-Achilles-Torres

• Main Stander
« Reply #435 on: September 20, 2010, 09:21:42 pm »
Don’t mind your post one bit mate. This forum is a place to express opinions with other supporters and I don’t mind one bit if you don’t agree with me.  :)

You can follow Inter simply put .Sorry harsh comment from me and nothing personal but sick of hearing that.Rafa has left so we need to give the current manager some support (not you personally but all of us).. Rafa is gone part of history like other managers. The club stays the same.  :lickin

That was a bit harsh  ;D. It was the first thing that came into my mind when I sat down to make what was supposed to be a short comment. I haven’t really expressed how I felt about Rafa leaving; I was a massive fan and believe that it was done more for personal reasons then football reasons. Not to say that last season was not a bad season for Rafa, more to say that I think that he was the correct man for the job. Apart from top managers at other top clubs, I could not see who was going to come in that could do a better job than Rafa. No one would leave a decent club to come manage us, they’d be stupid to. No one who was out of work could do better and a season was approaching in which we are supposedly going to be sold and a change to the management made anyway. If the clubs best interests were at heart surly he would have stayed. And don’t even start that crap about new owners not wanting Rafa at the helm. The biggest problem with the club was, and still is, the owners not wanting to sell, not a manager who could have been payed off. Instead we got a manager who is not as good, who has never excelled at a large club in a good league and is entering the twilight of his career so would be unwilling to change his ways and adapt.

You say the club stays the same. But it is not the same club we started supporting. It’s not even the same club that it was in 2005. We have the world’s worst owners and have replaced and manager which tried to uphold the attitudes of past Liverpool greats by a manager who is saying all the wrong things from a supporters perspective. Roy has been brought in to manage the playing squad and not worry about what is happening with the club. Don’t ask questions, say the correct things and keep everyone happy. Not the Liverpool way. No top manager would accept those terms and we already had a top manager in Rafa who was fighting for the club.

Any manager who came in would be compeered to Rafa, he done a lot for us both on the pitch and off it and you would be ignorant to think otherwise. We have the same players, same god damn owners, hence still the same era but different manager. We lost league positions because the club stood still, our squad was not strong enough last season and the team lost confidence. The club has not changed, but the manager has. It was the club that needed to change not the manager. The squad has remained more or less the same.  The confidence is OK at the moment because we have a new manager and everyone wants to excel. But what happens IF we go on a winless run and confidence drops. We are back where we were last season.

Roy has been brought to be a short term fix. If new owners come in he will most probably be off if he doesn’t get us into the CL, maybe even if he does. It will be harder than last season to get that CL place.  I want him to do well, I want the team to do well and the club to do well. But let’s not beat around the bush. Under the current ownership he will not be given the money to make the team his own, this current team is now his team. He has to stop pleasing everyone and start managing the team like it is his own. ATM it is Rafa’s team with Roy in charge.

So you want to clone Roy to be Rafa.  I personally didnt like the whole I am too cool attitude and never show any emotions approach. I like my manager to display human touch ! I like him to be angry , emotional and caring about the result. We all have different opinions of course.

I don’t mind emotion. If anything I was quite looking forward to man manager Roy. But I can’t stand it when a player misses an OK chance and the manager sitting on the bench turns to the assistant and says ‘I could have f*****g scored that’. You’re the manager, not a supporter. Think it, don’t say it. Or we are one goal down and the manager is sweating a bucket load, swearing and rubbing himself red. As the manager you are the fist port of call for the supporters and the players. Like Rafa said, the manager has to be the first to believe, or no one will.

So what did Roy do differently?  If you saw the game Mr Alex Ferguson was going up and down the lines abusing the officials. Did you see that? Class right?

Wasn’t class, but at least he was doing something constructive for his team. He only does it because it works. It beats sitting on the bench looking like we have already lost the match after going one goal down from a corner.

Did you realise that Meireles was a bit tired and Konchesky did have a small injury last week? So he didnt take our Maxi and brought in Ngo?! So he replaced an midfielder for a striker?!

Like I said, can understand the Konchesky sub. Don’t buy that tired stuff though. If Meireles can play 80 minutes then they can play the full 90, especially when he is playing well. Maxi sub was different, we were losing 2-0 at the time if remember correctly.

If the game has finished 2 - 2 would you feel much much better?

That’s a big IF. Much like Gerrard I thought we played quite well at times, but only after the second half started and we were chasing the game. Makes no different really, this is more about Roy and his time in charge so far, not about what happened on the pitch. Yesterday just combined all my concerns so it was easier to make a point. Not so upset about the substitutions, any manager can make those types of mistake in a match. More concerned about his general demeanour and how he talks about us to the press.
Judge Chamberlain Haller: I don't like your attitude.
Vinny Gambini: So what else is new?
Judge Chamberlain Haller: I'm holding you in contempt of court.
Vinny Gambini: [to Bill] Now there's a fucking surprise.
Judge Chamberlain Haller: What did you say? What did you just say?
Vinny Gambini: Huh? What did I say?

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: September 20, 2010, 09:46:17 pm »
Who gives a fuck what he says, he's not hired to be a public speaker, he's hired to rub his head and let Carragher pick the side, so let him get on with it.

Nobody knows what happend to Al55, so be careful ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:04:57 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: September 20, 2010, 09:46:25 pm »
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what Roy says in the press, what we say and whether we support Roy or not.  The results will be the ultimate decider of his fate.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: September 21, 2010, 02:07:47 pm »
Roy now saying our goal is to 'compete' for a champions league place. Well we did that last year but didn't quite make it and the manager was sacked.

Surely the target is to actually get into the champions league positions, not just to 'compete'?

http://www.teamtalk.com/liverpool/6390470/Roy-keen-to-solve-Meireles-mystery

Apologies for the shit source, but I assume the quotes are genuine.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: September 21, 2010, 02:17:53 pm »
Football fans always hate what their manager says in defeat but love what he says in victory - Hodgson is no different.