Author Topic: The way Hodgson speaks of Liverpool in the press, a matter for concern?  (Read 34358 times)

Offline Heathcote_Simpleton

• Kopite
Re: The way Hodgson speaks of Liverpool in the press, a matter for concern?
« Reply #280 on: September 20, 2010, 12:41:28 pm »
He doesn't have to get into an argument with Ferguson, but he should at least back up Torres. All he would have to say is:

"it was a definite foul on Torres. Another referee may well have sent O'Shea off".

No controversy there. Instead he says fuck all.

I've said from the start that although disapointed with his appointment, I'm prepared to back Roy; however, nothing he's doing or saying at the moment though is helping to earn my respect.

Wonder what Torres makes of his managers refusal to defend him.
"Liverpool is a fantastic club with a remarkable history and a passionate fan base. We fully acknowledge and appreciate the unique heritage and rich history of Liverpool and intend to respect this heritage in the future."

Tom Hicks and George Gillett

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: September 20, 2010, 12:42:39 pm »
That there is completely, 100%, down to the 'custodians' and cannot be placed at Roys door. This level of signing will become the norm unless they are forced out. I agree that they arent good enough, but with little or no resources and yet a threadbare squad in a number of positions, what else could he do?
We could have picked up Salcido for less than we got Konchesky for. We could have kept Insua? I agree his hands are tied, but all the more reason to make the right calls with the little money that he does have.

Offline Franky

• Do you remember me? Clueless kneejerk who should not be confused with the decent poster on here called Frank. Alienated from the sheep and won't lick John Henry's arse
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: September 20, 2010, 12:42:41 pm »
He is a chicken. If he likes his friendsthe Media so much, he should at least use them properly. He should go out and blast that unwashed prick for his theatrical show yesterday, for diving every single time he touched the ball. The old drunk who accused Torres for cheating. He didn't defend Torres either...

Although he's all over the media with his boring crap, he didn't defend his players in the press when they're being attacked.

To me this shows a chicken attitude. But chicken+yesman=not good enough for me.

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: September 20, 2010, 12:43:51 pm »
He doesn't have to get into an argument with Ferguson, but he should at least back up Torres. All he would have to say is:

"it was a definite foul on Torres. Another referee may well have sent O'Shea off".

No controversy there. Instead he says fuck all.

I've said from the start that although disapointed with his appointment, I'm prepared to back Roy; however, nothing he's doing or saying at the moment though is helping to earn my respect.

Well said mate ..  But at the moment he is trying to build a very flat team. He had 10 games and some are calling for his head already. 
The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline minusone

• considered rubbish
  • Legacy Fan
  • Resurrection 2.0
« Reply #284 on: September 20, 2010, 12:46:17 pm »
Roys probably a really nice fella. But he's making it fucking hard to like him.
Fired?? He should be shot! With shit, human shit!

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #285 on: September 20, 2010, 12:46:49 pm »
Good on Agger for coming out and saying that.

Why? Players shouldn't speak out against a manager on tactics- it's just disruptive. Terry in the World Cup being a prime example.

Offline Red Heart

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #286 on: September 20, 2010, 12:49:01 pm »
Ah. But he's foreign, so would have been so much better, it stands to reason...  ::)

Hodgson may not be a first choice (even of mine), but I'll at least give him a run of games before I start getting on his back.

So his record over thirty years in football management is not enough to convince you and you need him to manage us for half a season before making your mind up - Why? What is it in his past career that has you thinking he can make it better?

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: September 20, 2010, 12:49:25 pm »
Wonder what Torres makes of his managers refusal to defend him.
The words "straw" and "final" spring to mind. Inexcusable and unforgivable.

But then I suppose it's hard to stand up to the bully when you are wearing his gift of a £10k watch on your wrist, courtesy of one of the Mancs' sponsors.

I look at Hodgson, and in so many deeply uncomfortable ways both from a character and footballing perspective, he just reminds me of Eriksson.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #288 on: September 20, 2010, 12:51:04 pm »
And how different if Reina hadnt dropped the ball against Arsenal? Its all fine margins. You have to give him a chance. if after 20 games hes making the same mistakes, playing the wrong players then so be it.
Really good points, and O'shea might have been sent off too.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Red Heart

• Anny Roader
« Reply #289 on: September 20, 2010, 12:52:35 pm »
So should Roy "guarantee" fourth place?

No - he should guarantee us the title!!!! He can tell us it will take a few years, he can tell us we need new players but he should show some "Leadership" for the players and the fans.

Offline Jezza789

• Anny Roader
« Reply #290 on: September 20, 2010, 12:53:02 pm »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1313519/Manchester-United-boss-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-accuses-Liverpool-star-Fernando-Torres-cheating.html

That's what his great mate had to say about Roy's team and one of his players today.

I'm all for being friendly and professional but Mr Alex Ferguson's the exception. I'd much rather see the Rafa-style approach of pointing out all the twattish behaviour that man seems to get away with.

Actually, I'd like to see it taken a step further and have LFC's manager going in to Old Trafford spraying mace and calling him a c*nt.

Says the one who has nani on his team? Rediculous

Offline aggerman

• Anny Roader
  • We await the Coronation of King Kenny !
« Reply #291 on: September 20, 2010, 12:56:28 pm »
We could have picked up Salcido for less than we got Konchesky for. We could have kept Insua? I agree his hands are tied, but all the more reason to make the right calls with the little money that he does have.

Another farce with the whole LB situation was the re-signing of Fabio Aurelio.  Much as I would like to watch him play, he's OUT INJURED again !  :no 
John the milkman on Rafa:

“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: September 20, 2010, 12:57:58 pm »
So his record over thirty years in football management is not enough to convince you and you need him to manage us for half a season before making your mind up - Why? What is it in his past career that has you thinking he can make it better?

No reason apart from, he's the manager of Liverpool FC. I've given every manager from Paisley onwards my full support, initally. Even Souness.

I also think that any other manager would have had the same sort of settling in difficulties as Hodgson has. He's got pretty much the same team as last year (minus Mascherano and Benayoun) and has spent less on players coming in than players going out. Every manager that could have taken the role would have been left with the same squad that came 7th last year. They would also have been subject to Purslow's purse strings.

Roy might not turn it around. He might be taking us in the wrong direction. But it's going to take more than 5 league matches for me to decide on that.

Offline Mighty Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #293 on: September 20, 2010, 12:59:21 pm »
Roy really needs to back Torres 100% of the way. Red nose came out calling Torres a cheat.........with no shame or embarrassment towards the biggest cheat of the day....please stand up, or fall down again, Nani. Diving and cheating throughout the game. People in glass houses you shi* bag.

Red nose builds the hatred between the clubs because it fires his players up. I did feel yesterday Roy simply let them get away with it. Yes it's not classy or the 'Liverpool way' to speak about others but there is a way and a willing to do it in a smarter way.

Don't be worried about upsetting people Uncle Roy, defend our players to the hilt and they might defend you a little more on the pitch!!
What we do today will echo through eternity       *   *   *   *   *

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #294 on: September 20, 2010, 01:00:11 pm »
To me this shows a chicken attitude. But chicken+yesman=not good enough for me.

So you missed the interview before the Steau game then where he was asked about the Torres criticism and he called the media (Redknapp's) comments 'so irrelevant' and said he couldn't believe the 'arrogance of people in the media' that suggest that Torres is off form because he's unhappy?

But keep cherry picking to suit the agenda.

Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: September 20, 2010, 01:02:26 pm »
We could have picked up Salcido for less than we got Konchesky for.
Yes but Salcido doesn't "know" Uncle Roy, isn't matey with the old duffer, doesn't understand his style or methods, isn't English, and certainly doesn't regularly chat to John Terry at family get-togethers.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline ..Bruiser..

• A liver bird upon me chest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #296 on: September 20, 2010, 01:02:28 pm »
Follow the yanks on the way out Roy. Shockingly crap manager, telling Agger go offload the ball, sucking up to Purslow and Taggart and making the side worse.
96 friends we'll never forget
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Franky

• Do you remember me? Clueless kneejerk who should not be confused with the decent poster on here called Frank. Alienated from the sheep and won't lick John Henry's arse
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: September 20, 2010, 01:04:50 pm »
So you missed the interview before the Steau game then where he was asked about the Torres criticism and he called the media (Redknapp's) comments 'so irrelevant' and said he couldn't believe the 'arrogance of people in the media' that suggest that Torres is off form because he's unhappy?

Yeah, you see we've got different views. That's shocking, isn't it?

He's a chicken for me. He should stand up to the abuse from the old drunk. He's suppose to be a Liverpool manager now. It's his duty.
I'd maybe accept his silence if Torres was actually diving, or if the opposition didn't have a prick like nani. But now he's got no excuse of being silent. You see it comes with the job. You have to defend your players.

But yeah, he was the wrong choice, he got the job for wrong reasons and now all is wrong.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: September 20, 2010, 01:06:37 pm »

One thing to act all uppity over something a gimp like Redknapp said, but when it counts and you have that despicable piece of human filth slagging your team and star striker off, Hodgson has stuck his head between his legs and shuffled off into the corner.

That's what people are so riled about - he's either the worst kind of arse-kisser, or a coward.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: September 20, 2010, 01:08:46 pm »
Why? Players shouldn't speak out against a manager on tactics- it's just disruptive. Terry in the World Cup being a prime example.

Exactly. Teh double standards here are criminal. Last season Carra and gerrard were blasted because on hearsay they were undermining the manager. Now people are patting Agger on the back for coming out with something which could be seen as undermining the manager. Incredible.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #300 on: September 20, 2010, 01:09:22 pm »
Hi is not giving me much confidence for the rest of the season but i suppose there are bigger issues to worry about at the moment,

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #301 on: September 20, 2010, 01:10:41 pm »
Roy really needs to back Torres 100% of the way. Red nose came out calling Torres a cheat.

No he doesnt.  Torres isnt a baby that need constant reminder that Taggart is a dog who likes to bark.  He already address the Torres's criticism when Redknapp opened his gob.  There is no point he keeps defending each and every player and fuel the media with more words to twist around
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: September 20, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »
but i suppose there are bigger issues to worry about at the moment,
I hate this mentality, so often trotted out in threads like this as some sort of defence.

*Newsflash* The two issues aren't mutually exclusive.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: September 20, 2010, 01:12:20 pm »
Exactly. Teh double standards here are criminal. Last season Carra and gerrard were blasted because on hearsay they were undermining the manager. Now people are patting Agger on the back for coming out with something which could be seen as undermining the manager. Incredible.

Do the players feel that the manager is incapable already though? If what Agger is said is true then where does that leave in regards to changing how we play? Roy was always going to have the impossible job but certain aspects in press conferences hasn't helped things.

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #304 on: September 20, 2010, 01:14:47 pm »
No but he did manage Inter Milan in the UEFA Cup, reaching the final. He got Switzerland to the Euro 96 finals etc. It's not as if we've appointed Ian Holloway ffs. (Mind you, that would be quite funny...)

To be honest, if Roy just is the caretaker charged with steadying the good ship Liverpool until we can limp to less stormy financial waters then I'd actually prefer to have Holloway in the role - at least the football would be entertaining and would provide a fleeting distraction from the systematic destruction of the club.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Franky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: September 20, 2010, 01:17:37 pm »
No he doesnt.  Torres isnt a baby that need constant reminder that Taggart is a dog who likes to bark.  He already address the Torres's criticism when Redknapp opened his gob.  There is no point he keeps defending each and every player and fuel the media with more words to twist around
But yes he does. You see there is a contradiction here. He seems to be all over the media. He's not a media-shy manager. So to ignore the old drunk's comments is embarassing. He's managing Liverpool, not Fulham.

Plus you fail to see what purple-nose's target is. Those comments may have an effect on how will referies treat Torres in the future. Calling him a cheat is very serious and such a comment should never go unanswered.

Offline Red Heart

• Anny Roader
« Reply #306 on: September 20, 2010, 01:18:21 pm »
I support Roy but am a litle confused by this. On the one hand, there is nothing wrong with robust, no-nonsense defending, there are no prizes for poncing around and losing the ball on the edge of your own penalty area. But Roy has also spoken about posssesion, and hacking th ball away from defence only to lose possession and have the opposition at you again is not smart.

If you play the right sort of football you DON'T lose the ball at the back - give the players the confidence to do that and it will pay long term rewards. Effectively tell them they're shite and to hoof it out will give you payback in a different way.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #307 on: September 20, 2010, 01:19:44 pm »
shankly if he were alive would be well fucked off with some of our supporters views i reckon...whats happened to getting behind them when things arent going our way.
Instead of tearing them to shreds...grow some fucking balls will yers
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: September 20, 2010, 01:22:05 pm »
He's just a caretaker manager. When we finally get rid of the Yanks Hodgson will be off as well. Nice man but really average manager. After Roy I really want a manager who makes us play entertaining football.

Offline Mighty Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #309 on: September 20, 2010, 01:22:26 pm »

It's not about Torres being a baby and I'm not saying he won't come out and defend Torres either. It's not each and every player also but Liverpool's icon. Fergie wouldn't have said a thing if it was Jovanovic et al but he did about Torres because it was a comment to belittle us even further!

I believe it's about being a unified team and we stick together whatever and defend the wronged. If we don't sound ourselves out then we just become one of the rest that nobody hears or cares about.........maybe the fear that we are an also ran these days is what is pressing these comments today!
What we do today will echo through eternity       *   *   *   *   *

Offline General Alonso

• Kopite
  • We controlled the game. No?
« Reply #310 on: September 20, 2010, 01:22:29 pm »
Agger's comments. Shouldn't be saying this, but all 100 per cent true

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1210783-daniel-agger-refuses-to-adapt-to-new-liverpool-fc-style.html

Fucking hell, I bet Carragher's got posters of Hodgson all over his bedroom wall now. The Crazy Gang here we come.
We are a good team. We are a serious team. We want to win. We want to do the right thing.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2010, 01:23:12 pm »
shankly if he were alive would be well fucked off with some of our supporters views i reckon...whats happened to getting behind them when things arent going our way.

i think the issue with people here is that we all love the club a lot and want to be behind the team, you can do that even in defeat if your team gives it a good go, but when you heard his defeatist comments on interviews and his mentality regarding defending of "just get rid" then you loose heart that Liverpool have resorted to this type of football, we are a big club with big ambitions and a big history, we aim to win everything, not be content with a draw at Birmingham etc...

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2010, 01:26:17 pm »
i think the issue with people here is that we all love the club a lot and want to be behind the team, you can do that even in defeat if your team gives it a good go, but when you heard his defeatist comments on interviews and his mentality regarding defending of "just get rid" then you loose heart that Liverpool have resorted to this type of football, we are a big club with big ambitions and a big history, we aim to win everything, not be content with a draw at Birmingham etc...

That is a major problem, we don't expect great results at Birmingham or at Man Utd, but we expect some football, we expect our team to actually try to play, not rely on king carragher and his 3 musketeers to stand on Pepe's testicles defending for 90 minutes. Where's pass and move?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline General Alonso

• Kopite
  • We controlled the game. No?
« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2010, 01:27:14 pm »

I think Shankly would be well fucked off at Hodgson for not defending our players against vicious attacks from that dispicable c*nt.
We are a good team. We are a serious team. We want to win. We want to do the right thing.

Offline Red Heart

• Anny Roader
« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2010, 01:27:44 pm »
Gets worse this. How many times did you see Ferguson, the most succesful manager in the country, flapping on the line and barking orders (and jotting down pointless thoughts every two minutes).

What you mean is you want him to be more like Rafa. Well he's not.

Did you have to attend a course to be able to tell what people are really thinking over the internet?

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2010, 01:28:46 pm »
I think Shankly would be well fucked off at Hodgson for not defending our players against vicious attacks from that dispicable c*nt.

I think nobody fucking knows what Shankly would be doing if he was alive! Maybe if he was alive he would still be our manager so maybe this whole conversation is useless.
The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline Franky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2010, 01:28:48 pm »
^This.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #317 on: September 20, 2010, 01:29:45 pm »
there are different ways to defend and to be fair both work one day...dont the next.
somedays the ref does you a disservice,other times it goes your way
now my major gripe with our negative supporters is that ,and to use an analogy....one bad apple will turn all the good apples in the barrel bad....
so ,why look for the negatives?...why dont you talk about the positives during hodgsons reign upto now?...
If you cant think of any,many....i suggest you go away and think about the alrms bells that should be ringing in your head right now?

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #318 on: September 20, 2010, 01:31:43 pm »
oh and i actually think the way hodgson talks to press is quite impressive actually.
but that will depend on how you interprate it...and what your mood is at the outset doesnt it?
I mean if you weren't a proper red, (a blue nose,a manc etc) ,you would be looking for every little thing to pick him up on and see things that aren't there?...right?
its damaging!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:35:30 pm by horne »

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #319 on: September 20, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »
He should have stood up to Skeletor yesterday.  Letting him call Nando a cheat while his little rent boy Nani was rolling round on the ground every farts end.  He's not helping the team by ducking the normal slagging match, or himself.  Wenger doesn't duck it, Mark Hughes is still getting crap off him at Fulham, Fucking hell he's still having digs at Rafa and he's not even in our league any more.  If Roy thinks that the "Sticks and Stones" approach is going to work then he's wrong.
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!