Author Topic: The way Hodgson speaks of Liverpool in the press, a matter for concern?  (Read 33942 times)

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
Re: The way Hodgson speaks of Liverpool in the press, a matter for concern?
« Reply #240 on: September 20, 2010, 11:41:38 am »
"Having got back to 2-2 we should have kept that." Roy Hodgson

Fucking wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline CookThePanda

• Main Stander
  • This year is our year!
« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2010, 11:43:06 am »
Don't really care how Hodgson speaks to the press. I think to much emphasis is placed on the 'I wish he was more ballsy' attitude. Let's be honest, press conferences are the most pointless and ridiculous aspects of football, on the pitch is all that matters and THAT is a matter of concern.
Did you know that Football was designed to be a perfect human sport? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the rules. Some believed FIFA lacked the knowledge to describe our perfect sport. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define football through suffering and misery

Offline Dubai_Red

• Can smell nullshit from 4,608 miles away
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: September 20, 2010, 11:47:53 am »
This isn't a dig at Rafa, but why are people being so harsh on Roy?

Rafa lost at the toilet 5 times out of six, he didn't manage to beat Birmingham home or away the whole time he was here, we LOST to Arsenal last year, drew the year before, lost at Man City before they became the new Chelsea when Stuart Pearce was in charge. In his first season we were shite. We finished behind Everton!

Roy has had a difficult start to the season. His two main signings Cole and Meireles have have played one and a half league games each, he made a profit in the transfer window, had dickheads like Mascherano to deal with not to mention a disrupted pre season due to the world cup, give the man a chance

Still miss Rafa alot though, but people are even having a dig at Roy's press interviews now for not being 'Liverpool' enough, the lack of perspective on here i think stems from frustration regarding the ownership situation

Wake up man! This isn't just about the manc game. Its about the fans having huge reservations when he was appointed. Its about the signings of Konchesky & Poulson. Its about the failure of bringing in a striker. Its about the poor performances for the past 10 games. Its about the poor press conferences. Its about the unhealthy appreciation of old whiskey nose. Its about the fact that he does not have the right credentials to be a manager of any of the top 4 sides let alone LFC. And its about the fact the cecil felt that he was better then Rafa, who clearly doesn't know his ass from his head!!!

Offline AKABillyGee

• AKA Le Pétomane... hasn't read the rules
  • Main Stander
  • Being suspicious served me well
« Reply #243 on: September 20, 2010, 11:47:56 am »
This quote form Danny Agger:

"The manager's philosophy is that we play football in attack, but not at the back. That's not my style.
“I'm not that type of player. I like to keep the ball on the ground, and that's what I'll keep doing. Time will show if he [Hodgson] doesn't want to play me because of that".

puts the wind right up me. In simple words it means 'kick and rush', 'Wimbledon'. I really want Roy to succeed but I feel a chill wind blowing.

Offline redend

• Kopite
« Reply #244 on: September 20, 2010, 11:48:04 am »
someone needs to throw him the lifebelt, he is out of his depth and is treading water. The weight of the expectation is also on his shoulders so maybe better throw him some arm bands and a donald duck water ring too.

Nice guy, but we dont need a nice guy we need a capable guy and NOT MON FFS.
What's this Sid James Stuff about ?

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #245 on: September 20, 2010, 11:49:20 am »
"Having got back to 2-2 we should have kept that." Roy Hodgson

Fucking wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Indeed. We tried to 'keep' 0-0. Go 2 goals down. Finally start attacking, get 2 goals back. Then try to 'keep' that by sitting back again. Inevitable that we conceded another goal.

It's gonna be a long season.
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
  • PSN: WesleyP1pes
« Reply #246 on: September 20, 2010, 11:52:09 am »
King Kenny.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: September 20, 2010, 11:53:03 am »
Indeed. We tried to 'keep' 0-0. Go 2 goals down. Finally start attacking, get 2 goals back. Then try to 'keep' that by sitting back again. Inevitable that we conceded another goal.

It's gonna be a long season.

As soon as Agger came on I felt United would get the winner. Not Any reflection on Danny or anything but the wrong message was sent to the team at a pivotal moment.

Had to be Babel and let him worry them up their end of the pitch. Sitting back cost us big time.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #248 on: September 20, 2010, 12:02:16 pm »
I still want him to do well but there's something missing. Yes anyone would have taken the LFC job, and the board prob thought "oh, he's manager of the year, lets get him" Is he out of his depth...i hope not He's had fuck all money to play with and suspensions/unfit players haven't helped Also not too pleased how he wants a more direct game from the back. I'd prefer the defence playing the ball out (Agger) rather than hoofing it

I support Roy but am a litle confused by this. On the one hand, there is nothing wrong with robust, no-nonsense defending, there are no prizes for poncing around and losing the ball on the edge of your own penalty area. But Roy has also spoken about posssesion, and hacking th ball away from defence only to lose possession and have the opposition at you again is not smart.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: September 20, 2010, 12:05:30 pm »
Fortunately for us and for Roy, if he can come out and win the next few games well, some some positive intent, and start saying better things about the team, then I feel he can still turn opinions around. Hasn't been a very good start though, thats for sure.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: September 20, 2010, 12:11:20 pm »
Wtf is this about? Ferguson accuses one of our players of cheating and Hodgson doesn't come out and defend him, in fear of upsetting his friend 'Mr Ferguson'.

Gerrard’s second goal was from a free-kick awarded by referee Howard Webb following O’Shea’s challenge on Torres on the edge of the penalty area. As the last man, O’Shea was lucky to escape with a yellow card, but Ferguson claimed Torres did his best to see the Irishman dismissed.

Ferguson said: “I’ve watched it. Definitely, Torres made a meal of it, an absolute meal of it. There’s no doubt he tried to get the player sent off.

“It was a game we absolutely dominated. At 2-0, it could have been a cricket score – 2-2 was an absolute farce.

“I was saying to myself, ‘It could’ve been 10’, so when it looked like ending 2-2 it would have been a travesty of a scoreline, but it was a great result at the end.

“They had the momentum when it went to 2-2, but they never offered anything did they? They had to depend on decisions from the linesman to get back into the game.

“The build-up to these games is such that, if one doesn’t win, it’s a catastrophe. For Liverpool, this is a catastrophe.”

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson refused to be drawn into a row with Ferguson, however, over the O’Shea incident or his team’s performance.

Hodgson said: “Mr Ferguson is entitled to any opinion he wants to have. I have a very ambivalent attitude towards those type of things and I’m not a great lover of red cards for petty offences. But catastrophe is a bit strong, but I suppose in terms of winning the title you could say it’s a catastrophe. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/8012216/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Fernando-Torres-tried-to-get-Manchester-Uniteds-John-OShea-sent-off.html

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: September 20, 2010, 12:13:22 pm »
Fortunately for us and for Roy, if he can come out and win the next few games well, some some positive intent, and start saying better things about the team, then I feel he can still turn opinions around. Hasn't been a very good start though, thats for sure.

Very very true... But at the same time what shall we do.. Not support him? So I dont understand what are we as fans suppose to do.. Some are not happy with the fact that Rafa is gone.. Ok lets move from that. He is gone , he seems happy where he is gone and if you are still concern go and support Inter as Rafa is bigger than this club. Is he better Roy? Give Roy 5 years and then we compare...I am not saying that he isnt on record but we can do a good comparison if you allow them the same time.

I dont think Roy is the best manager for LFC but I will allow him time thats all I am saying.

Face it Rafa is not coming back , good news for some , bad news for others.

The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #252 on: September 20, 2010, 12:13:33 pm »
You sound surprised mate. 6 pages on the managers post match comments, while the club continues on its dysfunctional path. A lot of people claim the owners are the biggest issue but will gladly stick the knife into a new manager with an impossible job on his hands because they're still sulking over Rafa's departure, whose own comments often ranged from sleep inducing to downright odd. Not that it mattered.

And you know what mate you cant even bring yourself to try and seek rationality. No one wanted him, therefore he's finished no matter what he does. And if thats the case theres no point in anyone getting upset over our results is it?

As someone posted above rafas record at OT and Birmingham was poor, but dont let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Anyway theres bigger fish to fry. If only, IF ONLY people put more effort into castigating the owners rather than berating the manager we'd get somewhere. Be interesting to see how many stay behind next week, or how many will just slope off home, but will come on here and give the manager some grief.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:01 pm »
Wtf is this about? Ferguson accuses one of our players of cheating and Hodgson doesn't come out and defend him, in fear of upsetting his friend 'Mr Ferguson'.

Gerrard’s second goal was from a free-kick awarded by referee Howard Webb following O’Shea’s challenge on Torres on the edge of the penalty area. As the last man, O’Shea was lucky to escape with a yellow card, but Ferguson claimed Torres did his best to see the Irishman dismissed.

Ferguson said: “I’ve watched it. Definitely, Torres made a meal of it, an absolute meal of it. There’s no doubt he tried to get the player sent off.

“It was a game we absolutely dominated. At 2-0, it could have been a cricket score – 2-2 was an absolute farce.

“I was saying to myself, ‘It could’ve been 10’, so when it looked like ending 2-2 it would have been a travesty of a scoreline, but it was a great result at the end.

“They had the momentum when it went to 2-2, but they never offered anything did they? They had to depend on decisions from the linesman to get back into the game.

“The build-up to these games is such that, if one doesn’t win, it’s a catastrophe. For Liverpool, this is a catastrophe.”

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson refused to be drawn into a row with Ferguson, however, over the O’Shea incident or his team’s performance.

Hodgson said: “Mr Ferguson is entitled to any opinion he wants to have. I have a very ambivalent attitude towards those type of things and I’m not a great lover of red cards for petty offences. But catastrophe is a bit strong, but I suppose in terms of winning the title you could say it’s a catastrophe. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/8012216/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Fernando-Torres-tried-to-get-Manchester-Uniteds-John-OShea-sent-off.html

That's not rain Roy. That's his piss on your leg mate.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:58 pm »

Thats his perogative. Rafa only fought back in the later years of his Anfield career. Before that he used to decline to comment on stuff.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: September 20, 2010, 12:17:16 pm »
Very very true... But at the same time what shall we do.. Not support him? So I dont understand what are we as fans suppose to do.. Some are not happy with the fact that Rafa is gone.. Ok lets move from that. He is gone , he seems happy where he is gone and if you are still concern go and support Inter as Rafa is bigger than this club. Is he better Roy? Give Roy 5 years and then we compare...I am not saying that he isnt on record but we can do a good comparison if you allow them the same time.

I dont think Roy is the best manager for LFC but I will allow him time thats all I am saying.

Face it Rafa is not coming back , good news for some , bad news for others.

Roy will get my support, as much as i dont rate him. The same support i gave Rafa when he came in his first season, and where apart from his sterling Euro Cup run, for the most part we were awful in the league, with the occasional half decent performance. And yeah Rafa had to work with someone elses squad, had to make some early buys, buys he was comfortable with in Garcia and Alonso, same as Roy has done now.

Cut him slack.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: September 20, 2010, 12:17:53 pm »
Thats his perogative. Rafa only fought back in the later years of his Anfield career. Before that he used to decline to comment on stuff.

To be fair Walshy he probably gave the other managers the benefit of the doubt in his first few years. Roy knows what Fergie is all about and just sits and takes it by the looks of things.

Offline The Jackal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: September 20, 2010, 12:21:08 pm »

He doesn't have to get into an argument with Ferguson, but he should at least back up Torres. All he would have to say is:

"it was a definite foul on Torres. Another referee may well have sent O'Shea off".

No controversy there. Instead he says fuck all.

I've said from the start that although disapointed with his appointment, I'm prepared to back Roy; however, nothing he's doing or saying at the moment though is helping to earn my respect.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: September 20, 2010, 12:22:21 pm »
Its not the way he speaks I'm concerned about, its the way he looks when hes in the dugout, he seems to be shitting himself incase anything goes wrong.

I don't think he can handle the pressure on the pitch, always looks like he's biting his nails and stressing out aswell, can't be good for the man or us.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:06 pm »

"The manager's philosophy is that we play football in attack, but not at the back. That's not my style.
“I'm not that type of player. I like to keep the ball on the ground, and that's what I'll keep doing. Time will show if he [Hodgson] doesn't want to play me because of that".

puts the wind right up me. In simple words it means 'kick and rush', 'Wimbledon'. I really want Roy to succeed but I feel a chill wind blowing.

This is more worrying really. Sounds like Agger's got the hump with Roy already.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Raz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:17 pm »

Fucking hell! Those are really really worrying comments! Who the fuck does Roy think he's managing?!
He then starts trying to punch the ghost and starts telling it to fuck off

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #262 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:29 pm »
least of our problems, i'll be honest I don't like Roy, I don't like what he says in the press conferences, but Rafa was a bit similar, though we actually dominated games under him despite not looking like scoring whereas here we dont dominate and we dont look like scoring.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:55 pm »
Its not the way he speaks I'm concerned about, its the way he looks when hes in the dugout, he seems to be shitting himself incase anything goes wrong.

I don't think he can handle the pressure on the pitch, always looks like he's biting his nails and stressing out aswell, can't be good for the man or us.

Thats just assumption mate. Rafa looked like he didnt give a toss when you looked at him on the bench. Doesnt mean he was.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: September 20, 2010, 12:24:58 pm »
And you know what mate you cant even bring yourself to try and seek rationality. No one wanted him, therefore he's finished no matter what he does. And if thats the case theres no point in anyone getting upset over our results is it?

As someone posted above rafas record at OT and Birmingham was poor, but dont let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Anyway theres bigger fish to fry. If only, IF ONLY people put more effort into castigating the owners rather than berating the manager we'd get somewhere. Be interesting to see how many stay behind next week, or how many will just slope off home, but will come on here and give the manager some grief.

We may not have beaten Man U every time we played them under Rafa but there were good performances even when we lost by the odd goal. Here there was nothing to be positive about and Roy does not help the immediate post-match mood of the supporters by 1) saying he's not expecting much beforehand and 2) not being more supportive of our players against the opposition manager's slurs.  This was Manchester United we were playing - our biggest rivals lest he forget!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: September 20, 2010, 12:25:37 pm »
Thats just assumption mate. Rafa looked like he didnt give a toss when you looked at him on the bench. Doesnt mean he was.

Rafa was always animated though, always seemed to be barking orders at the team, I haven't seen Roy do it once when things aren't going our way, and its something that players strive on, managers giving them direction.

If the manager isn't helping the players while their on the pitch then their morale will dip as they'll lose confidence in him sooner or later IMO.

Offline The Jackal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: September 20, 2010, 12:29:43 pm »
Rafa was always animated though, always seemed to be barking orders at the team, I haven't seen Roy do it once when things aren't going our way, and its something that players strive on, managers giving them direction.

Gets worse this. How many times did you see Ferguson, the most succesful manager in the country, flapping on the line and barking orders (and jotting down pointless thoughts every two minutes).

What you mean is you want him to be more like Rafa. Well he's not.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: September 20, 2010, 12:30:11 pm »
We may not have beaten Man U every time we played them under Rafa but there were good performances even when we lost by the odd goal. Here there was nothing to be positive about and Roy does not help the immediate post-match mood of the supporters by 1) saying he's not expecting much beforehand and 2) not being more supportive of our players against the opposition manager's slurs.  This was Manchester United we were playing - our biggest rivals lest he forget!

Sorry what? I think you need to be set staright on a few things, as i feel your memory is cheating on you.

rafas first game, we lost 2-1 and the only shots on target was an own goal for us and a 50 yard attempt by Alonso.

We lost 3-0 when Masch got sent off, but even before then we didnt threaten a great deal.

We lost 2-0 when Wes Brown scored and we were fricken awful in that game, never hardly had a shot on target.

The only game at OT apart from the 4-1 was when Ferdinand scored a last minute winner, we played well that day and lost 1-0. And those are just off teh top of my head.

I think theres a danger here that everyone simply assumes Rafas tenure was perfect, it was not. it was punctured with highs but loads of lows. Anyone remember Crystal palace away? Pompey away? Reading home? Arsenal away 3-0?

So lets keep perspective.

Offline Red Heart

• Anny Roader
« Reply #269 on: September 20, 2010, 12:30:39 pm »
Perhaps he's just trying not to knock the team and players who are clearly lacking in confidence after last season?

Lacking in confidence????? Reina and Torres have world cup winners medals, Kuyt and Babel have World cup runners up medals, N'Gog has scored half a dozen goals, Gerrard has had a consolidated run as England Captain, Konchelsky has just be brought into the biggest club in England to ply his trade. If anything is effecting their confidence it's not "Last season".

Lower expectations before the game (e.g. Rabotniki), then heap praise on the team if we win. If we don't get the result then move on to the next one.

Effectively telling the players it doesn't matter if we don't win??? Bizarre!

I don't think the 'oh my god it's all turned to shit' attitude after a defeat helps in the long term.

Can you blame people who have been going on for so long about Benitez NOT being the problem and getting rid of him would solve nothing for saying 'Told you so'?

Different managers have different ways of dealing with the media. Just look at Ferguson and Wenger, they'll always blame the ref, the opposition and the passage of time itself for their bad results, rarely (if ever) will they criticise their team, and never individual players. Mourinho used to (brilliantly imo) make the whole thing all about himself before and after the game, so his players used to get on with playing. No doubt it's different behind the scenes, and imo honesty isn't always the best policy in these situations.

It's not about how he deals with the press - they appear to be on his side - it's simply saying nothing at all when "his great friend" accuses one of his players of attempting to get another player sent off.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2010, 12:32:37 pm »
Roy will get my support, as much as i dont rate him. The same support i gave Rafa when he came in his first season, and where apart from his sterling Euro Cup run, for the most part we were awful in the league, with the occasional half decent performance. And yeah Rafa had to work with someone elses squad, had to make some early buys, buys he was comfortable with in Garcia and Alonso, same as Roy has done now.

Cut him slack.

I think Rafa got 7 points from his first 5 games- which were in general nicer than this year- Spurs and Man City (much poorer back then and comfortably bottom half the previous season) a newly promoted West Brom and a decent Bolton before a lame display at old Trafford when O'Shea got our only goal. We also had an abysmal home performance against AK Graz.

Not saying Roy's in the sam league as Rafa (he isn't) but fair is fair. After all we could've gone crazy at that point and demanded him out but then we were sensible and went on to greater things. Difference is, admittedly, in 2004 it was the time for change whereas in 2010 it wasn't. But that itself should be a separate issue and one with which to beat H&G not Roy.

I'm not backing Roy by saying we've been brilliant so far- bar the odd moment we haven't at all- but I am saying give him a chance. Many successful managers have had poor starts but gone on to do well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:34:25 pm by Strummer77 »

Offline Red Heart

• Anny Roader
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2010, 12:33:30 pm »
Kingluisgarcia - I'm more than unhappy with Hodgson's attitude.  He's left me bereft (sp) of confidence from day one.  In his first press conference before a friendly he was hoping we wouldn't get beat too heavily.  I guess the fact it was rained off meant we had a lucky escape.  Other friendlies brought the same attitude.  That of defeatest.

We all know there are aspects of the club he has no control of, but one thing he can do is at least try and put some positivity across during the press conferences.  We see oodles via the photos of training sessions, but none of that appears during the press conferences.  It's all a case of woe is me, please don't beat us by too many goals,  we're playing a great team who has a great manager in charge etc.  There's far too much mutual masterbation from Hodgson for my liking.

I'd rather see a bit of Rafa like beligerance during press conferences.  Such as, we're going to win this game.  Dodge every question posed that the manager doesn't want to answer, a possible rant and of course, the rub of the face which was really a 2 fingered salute to the press.  I loved that moment, but Hodgson hasn't got the balls for that.  His heart is with LMA and kissing a lot of ass.

This - it's hardly a Churchillian call to arms is it?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: September 20, 2010, 12:34:07 pm »
Gets worse this. How many times did you see Ferguson, the most succesful manager in the country, flapping on the line and barking orders (and jotting down pointless thoughts every two minutes).

What you mean is you want him to be more like Rafa. Well he's not.

I don't want him to be more like Rafa at all mate, because he's not.

Rafa's gone, I got over that a long time ago (read some of my previous posts when Hodgson was appoiinted, I welcomed the change.)

Yes Ferguson wasn't animated but lets be honest, he didn't need to be, they dominated us most of the game but as soon as something didn't go their way, he was up defending his players. Ferguson is never usually an animated manager because he hardly ever needs to be, United go out to win, not draw or contain.

I'm all for giving Hodgson time but not if he's just going to sit there and not give encouragement/support to the players when things aren't going our way then the players will start to lose confidence in him.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:35:55 pm by J-Mc- »

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: September 20, 2010, 12:34:32 pm »
He doesn't have to get into an argument with Ferguson, but he should at least back up Torres. All he would have to say is:

"it was a definite foul on Torres. Another referee may well have sent O'Shea off".

No controversy there. Instead he says fuck all.

I've said from the start that although disapointed with his appointment, I'm prepared to back Roy; however, nothing he's doing or saying at the moment though is helping to earn my respect.
Totally agree.

Offline Visigoth33

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: September 20, 2010, 12:34:34 pm »
Agger's comments. Shouldn't be saying this, but all 100 per cent true

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1210783-daniel-agger-refuses-to-adapt-to-new-liverpool-fc-style.html
great.just what we needed after the defeat & ownership nonsense.

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: September 20, 2010, 12:35:27 pm »
i feel your memory is cheating on you.

There's a lot of that going round at the moment. It's staggering that people can complain about Roy's tactics and style of football after 6 seasons of mostly drab spineless shite in the league, especially at old trafford.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 20, 2010, 12:35:59 pm »
Agger's comments. Shouldn't be saying this, but all 100 per cent true

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1210783-daniel-agger-refuses-to-adapt-to-new-liverpool-fc-style.html
Good on Agger for coming out and saying that. Bit worried that he's just volunteered to be the CB to be offloaded in Jan though. :(
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline ..Bruiser..

• A liver bird upon me chest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #277 on: September 20, 2010, 12:36:09 pm »
People like Van Gaal, Hiddink, Ancelotti all better than we have but no great manager would manage us surely under the yanks. We're a sinking ship so we end up with a poor manager.
96 friends we'll never forget
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2010, 12:36:15 pm »
I think Rafa got 7 points from his first 5 games- which were in general nicer than this year- Spurs and Man City (much poorer back then and comfortably bottom half the previous season) a newly promoted West Brom and a decent Bolton before a lame display at old Trafford when O'Shea got our only goal. We also had an abysmal home performance against AK Graz.

Not saying Roy's in the sam league as Rafa (he isn't) but fair is fair. After all we could've gone crazy at that point and demanded him out but then we were sensible and went on to greater things. Difference is, admittedly, in 2004 it was the time for change whereas in 2010 it wasn't. But that itself should be a separate issue and one with which to beat H&G not Roy.

I'm not backing Roy by saying we've been brilliant so far- bar the odd moment we haven't at all- but I am saying give him a chance. Many successful managers have had poor starts but gone on to do well.

And how different if Reina hadnt dropped the ball against Arsenal? Its all fine margins. You have to give him a chance. if after 20 games hes making the same mistakes, playing the wrong players then so be it.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #279 on: September 20, 2010, 12:38:32 pm »
Its about the signings of Konchesky & Poulson. Its about the failure of bringing in a striker.

That there is completely, 100%, down to the 'custodians' and cannot be placed at Roys door. This level of signing will become the norm unless they are forced out. I agree that they arent good enough, but with little or no resources and yet a threadbare squad in a number of positions, what else could he do?
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854