Author Topic: Liverpool 4-1 Steaua Bucharest: post game revisionism  (Read 30774 times)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
Re: Liverpool 4-1 Steaua Bucharest: post game revisionism
« Reply #320 on: September 17, 2010, 12:07:59 am »
We won. Can't get over the fact some people would wish we lost so they could start moaning about how shite we are.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline banksybanks

• Legacy Fan
  • Oranges and cigarettes
« Reply #321 on: September 17, 2010, 12:13:47 am »
I only caught the first half, but must say I thought Spearing had a cracking half; winning tackles, spraying passes around, clearing up at the back. Babel looked pretty lively too; I'm glad they've both put a decent shift in there. It's good for Roy to have other decent options.

Thought Meireles looked quality early on, but faded a bit towards half time. Obviously, not seeing any of the 2nd half, I don't know how he did, but he's one of those (like Aquilani) who looks like a very good footballer.

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: September 17, 2010, 12:16:31 am »
Take the piss all you like, still doesn't change the fact that hodgson's clueless, the jobs to big for him and Purslow made a monumental fuck up by apponting him, I'll hold my hands up if I am wrong, but I'm sorry to say I don't think I will be.

Supporters hoping that he is the answer will be disapointed. I wonder how long ST holders will take 11 behind the ball at home to everyone?

so 9 games in, lost 1, yes one game out of nine, and won 6 of them, just finished a 4-1 home european tie and this is how you react. strange.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #323 on: September 17, 2010, 12:16:54 am »
Delighted with the result,couldnt of predicted that at the start of half time,really thought it was going to be a half where Steuea would dominate again.They were far superior in the first half in all fairness but Im glad we showed some bottle to come out in the second half and stop giving them so much time on the ball,get it ourselves and use it effectively.Cole was very good as was Raul once he got settled in,really do think hes a quality addition to our squad,a very forward thinking player.IMO the reason he didnt look great in the first half was because there was fuck all movement for him,but in the second once people started making runs for the ball,our attack improvement leaps and bounds and a lot of it was starting at Raul,cam close enough with that half volley too.Delighted for Lucas too,fantastic strike and Ngog did well again aswell.Lets try look at the positives more than the negatives for a change though eh  ;D
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline tboz

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #324 on: September 17, 2010, 12:17:43 am »
Overall backline pace is too slow and was exposed today, Defensively konchesky is a worry, his willingness to get forward provides balance going forward across the pitch but against teams like united or a solid winger he is going to real weak spot. Although against a weak opposition his positional sense clearing was not fully there, and he seemed unhurried to get back in position.

When we play team with a supportive full back and a winger who hugs the flanks and runs at us i can see him chasing alot of shadows.

Also n'gog seemed to find himself out wide a fair bit in the first half.

Offline Dubai_Red

• Can smell nullshit from 4,608 miles away
  • Kopite
« Reply #325 on: September 17, 2010, 12:17:55 am »
Really enjoyed the second half, the best we have played for long time. It was refreshing to see the midfielders moving the ball forward at pace as appose to the usual sideways and back to defence. Yes, it was poor opposition, bit you can only beat what's in front of you.

Agree about Raul looking really good and was nice to see an energetic performance from Cole.

Looking forward to the sunday now as the team may well surprise a few of us, so long as we go there with the right attitude and am hoping Torres shuts Redknap up for his comments last week.

We have the players, just need then to perform now.

Onwards and upwards.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #326 on: September 17, 2010, 12:18:37 am »
Few thoughts , Merieles was tidy , but not as spectacular as some are making out , he moved the ball forward very quickly which gave our front three more of a chance to spring a few flicks , Joe Cole in paticular reeped the rewards of Raul's presence in the centre.

I was also pleased with the link up between Cole and N'gog , how many times did Joe sweep past his marker on the half turn , fire a ball into N'gog and take the lay off and either have a shot or lay it off to Maxi or Babel.

Babel....... i think it's time to give him a run through the middle , the left wing is becoming a bit of a grave yard role for him , because he is so one footed , he can't take the right back by suprise , and due to his lack of guile he ends up cutting inside and just shooting , even when the angle is against him.

Konchescky was solid , in all honesty it's just nice to see a natural left back on the side , he knows when to get forward and when to stay back.

All in all , a good performance and nice to see a few goals been scored again , Sunday is a big one obviously , but we need to get after there full backs , i'm far from convinced of Neville and Evra , that's why Raul must play , so he can get the ball out to them quickly.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: September 17, 2010, 12:23:40 am »
Our best performance under Roy, especially the 2nd half.

Spearing, despite my misgivings, was immense. Joe Cole was man of the match for me, and chuffed to bits for Ngog and especially Lucas. What a goal.

Hopefully we can keep it going against the Mancs. I don't think they're anything like the side they were a couple of seasons ago.
Thank you Jurgen

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #328 on: September 17, 2010, 12:37:08 am »
We won. Can't get over the fact some people would wish we lost so they could start moaning about how shite we are.

So true these days mate!

Anyway, second half was good, first half we were shite, same old for this season. Infact, during the first half my mind wandered to a topic on RAWK calling for us to describe LFC in three words. "DONT BOTHER ATTACKING" were the three that sprang to mind.

Alls well that ends well, a scoreline that flattered us a bit I think, but much needed and a superb goal by Lucas.

Oh and Babel got ironically applauded off a la Danny Murphy.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #329 on: September 17, 2010, 12:37:38 am »

Hopefully we can keep it going against the Mancs. I don't think they're anything like the side they were a couple of seasons ago.

Sadly neither are we.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline Harry_Wong

• RAWK Security Consultant. a right burka
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red in the Head
« Reply #330 on: September 17, 2010, 01:00:33 am »
I thought J.Cole was MOTM. He played well through the middle and from the left. He just edges out Ngog who had another excellent game as lone striker.

A brilliant goal from Lucas, so pleased for him personally.  Especially to score a goal like that into the Kop end, which should shut a few critics up for a little while.  ;)

I thought Kelly had another good game at right-back.  Meireles was impressive, mainly for energy and dynamism in the centre.
Bill Shankly invites reporters into the changing room to meet his new captain, Ron Yeats:
"I've just signed a colossus. Come in and walk round him…"
1961-71: Promoted 1st season, 2 Championships, 1 FA Cup

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #331 on: September 17, 2010, 01:02:36 am »
Sadly I had to miss the game tonight but I will catch it ASAP.

However this all seems like one more step in the right direction.

Offline pooley

• No...! They're not baby wipes!
  • Kopite
« Reply #332 on: September 17, 2010, 01:07:55 am »
Nice to read so many different opinions about the same match, that's what football is all about. Considering the team we had out and the standard of the opposition, I thought it was a pretty good performance. Steaua did well to get back in the game after Coles goal and had a good go at us for about 20 minutes. I thought it was an important game for Spearing to rebuild his confidence after a few bad peformances in bad teams last season. Ngog is improving all the time and it was a good run out for Cole. obviously there is no comparison to the Prem but if Hodgson keeps winning he may start getting a bit of respect. Lets hope Torres has had a t-shirt printed, with 'Rednkapp is a twat' on for after he scores against the Mancs.
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #333 on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:43 am »
I thought Martin Kelly was outstanding for us. He did a solid, solid job without being spectacular.

Deserves credit.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #334 on: September 17, 2010, 01:18:05 am »
Cant help feel that we papered over the cracks with the second half performance.

Not doom and gloom.

Martin Kelly just gets better and better.

Another questionable performance from Konchesky...not too bad but there are flaws there.

Jay Spearing....didnt do too much wrong but it wont be long before he is shipped out to a lower premierl league team (if he's lucky).

Danny Agger should play every game.

Meireles looked lively and I'd assume he'll look much better playing with Gerrard and Torres....players more on his wavelength

Joe Cole is looking much fitter and he'll get a run here.....we really could see the best of him...like a Beardsley type player.

David N'gog is looking like a goalscorer. Had supreme confidence in him with the pen.....I just thought back to home to the mancs last season....clean through...kept his head. Second goal was an instinct finish and poacher like goal. Of course other aspects of his game can improve but he is still young and loads of time to develop.

Maxi showed how good an actual footballer he is. Clever little player who's movement and ability to spot a pass could be watched by a few others

Babel tried....err....thats about it.

Great seeing Pepe with the armband. Fits well.

Great goal by Lucas. Love the lad.

Defo some positives to take. would of liked Pacheco to have had more time but looked lively again.

Massive test for us now on Sunday.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2010, 01:18:54 am »
I thought Martin Kelly was outstanding for us. He did a solid, solid job without being spectacular.

Deserves credit.

Agreed mate. He gets better and better each game he plays
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline ThatYungstarrYNWA

• Main Stander
  • [Insert clever comment here]
« Reply #336 on: September 17, 2010, 01:19:13 am »
Good rebound game from Maxi after the Birmingham game but Cole looked VERY impressive.
YNWA: We don't wear it on an armband, we wear it on our hearts...

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2010, 01:21:26 am »
Kelly just needs to improve his crossing, too many time he tried to cross without making space first and they were easily blocked,
rest of his game was good.

I think in the end the scoreline flattered us, with that non penalty giving us momentum, and a cracker form Lucas,
and Ngog looked really pleased with himself for the 4th.

The atmosphere in the ground was another thing, most of the time I could hear my pins wrapped in cotton wool drop.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #338 on: September 17, 2010, 01:21:55 am »
What would people think about Roy trying a Kelly-Agger centre half partnership ?
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2010, 01:32:22 am »
Never thought much of Spearing until today. He was our best player in the first 45 minutes making some excellent tackles. A couple of times he played the wrong pass but overall he impressed me.

Meireles came alive in the second half and we looked much better.

Kelly played his heart out and didn't do too much wrong.

Pleased to see Cole and Lucas get off the mark.

Offline aerorossi29

• Anny Roader
« Reply #340 on: September 17, 2010, 01:36:04 am »
All in all cant grumble about a 4-1 win regardless of who we played. We werent perfect, far from it but i aint going to pick apart a good result which hopefully can spur us on a bit. Thought joe cole was good, lovely goal. Ngog is proving that he could be a massive player for us and i was chuffed for lucas. Cant really say anymore than that.

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: September 17, 2010, 01:42:18 am »
just watched a bit of the game again, commentator says after coles goal "its a dream start at arsenal" also says after their goal, "they have the away goal as well'...... erm.
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: September 17, 2010, 01:42:33 am »
What would people think about Roy trying a Kelly-Agger centre half partnership ?

In a year or two....

@rednich85

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: September 17, 2010, 01:46:48 am »
First half was woeful. Besides the well taken goal by Cole (the quality of the finish really impressing me) we really lacked class. To much time was spent passing the ball around our back half, with nobody taking the game. Spearing was excellent at winning us the ball but we did nothing with it.

Second half a new team came out. Roy must have given them a bit of creative license because suddenly Maxi, Babel & Cole were spending a lot more time on the ball running at defenders and Steaua Bucharest couldn't handle it.

Play of the day has to be N'gog's last goal. Pacheco fired in a bullet of a pass to Cole who showed a bit of skill and touch getting it to N'gog. Pacheco made an intelligent run which opened up a bit of space for N'gog his finish didn't disappoint. He fired a perfect shot in the corner hitting the back of the net. Great play by all three of them and while the other goals were in part due to poor defense that one was just great play IMO. Would have pulled apart any defense.

The goal we conceeded was far too easy and in general Kyrgiakos looked sluggish (the questionable offside call which Reina saved comes to mind). He was the wrong type of defender for that game.  Agger was a rock and I thought Konchesky & Kelly were solid all game.

N'gog is a good player, very underated by the fan base.

I'd like to see Pacheco start in the Carlington Cup, Biggest diasppointment was only seeing him get 10 minutes. I have a feeling he'll put on a clinic and force his way into the squad ahead of Maxi and Jovanovic if given the chance. 
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #344 on: September 17, 2010, 01:48:49 am »
In a year or two....
I agree that will probably be the case , but Kelly is hammering on the door and i really think he deserves a chance.

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: September 17, 2010, 01:50:27 am »
I agree that will probably be the case , but Kelly is hammering on the door and i really think he deserves a chance.

He is hammering mate. He'll need a bedding in at CB.

@rednich85

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: September 17, 2010, 01:51:20 am »
Should have been a clean sheet for us.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: September 17, 2010, 01:53:57 am »
In a year or two....

If we had another rightback I would have played that way. But really with Johnson the only alternative and rightback unlikely to be a foucs in January it's something we can look at until next season.

Kelly is the perfect replacement for Cara though and I think it will be really good timing too. I think Cara still has two good seasons in him and then maybe look at being cover for a season or two.
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #348 on: September 17, 2010, 01:54:33 am »
Should have been a clean sheet for us.
Can't deny the quality of their goal though, well worked and well taken. Shame it came about because of a slip by Spearing, but he recovered from it well to have a decent game, and full credit to him for that
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: September 17, 2010, 01:55:12 am »
can i just say Joe Coles boss.

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: September 17, 2010, 01:56:26 am »
I think Cara still has two good seasons in him

I think Carra has one.....this.....at a stretch.

@rednich85

Offline aerorossi29

• Anny Roader
« Reply #351 on: September 17, 2010, 01:57:12 am »
Cant help feel that we papered over the cracks with the second half performance.

Not doom and gloom.

Martin Kelly just gets better and better.

Another questionable performance from Konchesky...not too bad but there are flaws there.

Jay Spearing....didnt do too much wrong but it wont be long before he is shipped out to a lower premierl league team (if he's lucky).

Danny Agger should play every game.

Meireles looked lively and I'd assume he'll look much better playing with Gerrard and Torres....players more on his wavelength

Joe Cole is looking much fitter and he'll get a run here.....we really could see the best of him...like a Beardsley type player.

David Ngog is looking like a goalscorer. Had supreme confidence in him with the pen.....I just thought back to home to the mancs last season....clean through...kept his head. Second goal was an instinct finish and poacher like goal. Of course other aspects of his game can improve but he is still young and loads of time to develop.

Maxi showed how good an actual footballer he is. Clever little player who's movement and ability to spot a pass could be watched by a few others

Babel tried....err....thats about it.

Great seeing Pepe with the armband. Fits well.

Great goal by Lucas. Love the lad.

Defo some positives to take. would of liked Pacheco to have had more time but looked lively again.

Massive test for us now on Sunday.

Which other questionable game has konchesky had? Imo he was of our better performers against birmingham, in only his other game for us!

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: September 17, 2010, 01:57:44 am »

Looks a lot fitter and sharper....

Didnt realise how reckless he can be at times with those stupid lunges.

Looked delighted to open his account too.

@rednich85

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: September 17, 2010, 01:58:41 am »
Which other questionable game has konchesky had? Imo he was of our better performers against birmingham, in only his other game for us!

Work it out Einstein.

@rednich85

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #354 on: September 17, 2010, 01:59:31 am »
He annoyed me in the first half an hour. The "round the back of the other foot" pass that he played for babel summed up his first 30 mins, bar the goal. Tried to be fancy and didn't need to. Once he'd settled down he did look good. Like all players of his ilk (skillful and flair type) he's annoyingly selfish at times, but that can be a good thing. A couple times in the second half Meireles overlapped him on the left in their half only for Joe to ignore him. One he went on a nice dribble and won a free, the other he wasted a pass and the move fizzled out. But that's ok, as one of the things he does well is keeps people guessing.

Was it me or were the 3 behind N'Gog all swapping positions in the second half? Kept seeing Ryan and Maxi far away from where they should be, again not a bad thing but slightly unexpected.

I do think Cole needs to do more to make the position in behind the striker his own, but that's just me. I'm never happy ;D
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #355 on: September 17, 2010, 02:18:57 am »
I've just woke up from a coma.

Did we win?

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: September 17, 2010, 02:21:13 am »

Yeah, and we're top of division 1 :scarf
87:13

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: September 17, 2010, 02:21:56 am »
I think Carra has one.....this.....at a stretch.

I know you're not alone with your opinion but when was the last time he had a really poor game or cost us. I'd just about have to go to before Christmas last year to think of more than the very rare occasion.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #358 on: September 17, 2010, 02:25:23 am »
4-1 sounds like a hiding, were we that good or were they that shit?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline NZ Red

• Kopite
« Reply #359 on: September 17, 2010, 02:26:38 am »
He annoyed me in the first half an hour. The "round the back of the other foot" pass that he played for babel summed up his first 30 mins, bar the goal. Tried to be fancy and didn't need to. Once he'd settled down he did look good. Like all players of his ilk (skillful and flair type) he's annoyingly selfish at times, but that can be a good thing. A couple times in the second half Meireles overlapped him on the left in their half only for Joe to ignore him. One he went on a nice dribble and won a free, the other he wasted a pass and the move fizzled out. But that's ok, as one of the things he does well is keeps people guessing.

Was it me or were the 3 behind Ngog all swapping positions in the second half? Kept seeing Ryan and Maxi far away from where they should be, again not a bad thing but slightly unexpected.

I do think Cole needs to do more to make the position in behind the striker his own, but that's just me. I'm never happy ;D

I thought performed well to be honest. I think we've been lacking a tricky, skillful player such as him for the last few years. Of course sometimes it doesn't come off and can be very frustrating, but I think he offers us something different on attack and causes defenders a lot of problems.

I was particularly impressed by the pressure he applied in the first part of the game, notably the first goal. So often we don't pressure the opponent on the ball and work hard enough to win it back, and those opening 30 seconds proved how effective it can be.