Author Topic: Expectations For 2015/16 Season (Brenties Crystal-Ball Thread Mk. II)  (Read 168048 times)

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
Re: Expectations For 2015/16 Season (Brenties Crystal-Ball Thread Mk. II)
« Reply #1080 on: August 3, 2015, 09:27:11 pm »
The par for this squad is 5th. The 4 teams above us are just slightly a couple notches ahead. I think only an implosion by one of them will allow us to sneak into the top 4. Which isn't out of the question, but we need consistency.

However Brendan MUST win a trophy. We must win a trophy. League Cup, FA Cup or europa. If we take any of those competitions seriously then there is no reason why we cannot win one of those. What would really piss me off is if we play very weakened teams in the cups. Brendan will have been here for 5 years come 2016. A trophy any trophy is imperative for him IMO.

Hopefully now we have the squad that Brendan wants so that from now on in only slight adjustments are required each season and not 4/5 signings every time. Big influxes of players every year is not good.

Of course it largely depends on how Benteke settles and how he integrates with the rest of the team. It also depends if Sturridge can come back to full fitness and make a contribution. Those two upfront with our AM's will cause lots of problems.

Anything less than 5th place would be a total failure and should result in Brendan going. It will be interesting to see given our hard run of opening fixtures whether the players are believing in Brendan.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #1081 on: August 3, 2015, 09:27:14 pm »
I think the teams above us are ordinary talent wise, but have managers that can play to his players strengths, and a goalscorer to rattle in goals (Aguero, Sanchez, Costa)

Last season with Rodgers we saw he was incapable of playing to his players strengths, and obviously we had no one to rattle in goals. He made zero attempt to play to the strengths of his available strikers.

He has one last chance to get it right, and if he does, I think we'll be right in the mix.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1082 on: August 3, 2015, 09:30:38 pm »
With the squad we have fourth is a definite possibility but I can't see it happening for 2 reasons:

1) Lovren starting over Sakho will be a massive mistake.  Sakho is better and more experienced at every level than Lovren and the fact that it looks like Rodgers will prefer Lovren at Stoke will be the death knell for our hopes of a good start and (probably) Sakho's Liverpool career (and perhaps even Rodgers himself)

2) If we're playing both Henderson and Milner then the 1 other central midfielder needs to be either Lucas or Can as a dedicated DM.  This crap about us needing a DM is just that - crap.  Lucas will do a fine job due to his reading of the game, positional skills and experience of knowing when to put a foot in to break up a dangerous situation - regardless of whether that gives away a foul.  Can will come in when there's less of a threat to add more drive and verticality.  But with neither of them, a 2 of Milner and Henderson will expose the defence if we decide to press high or blunt our attack if they're playing as a 2.

Other factors which could destabilise us are the new players being integrated, an overstock of attacking midfielders who may grumble if they're not playing and a complete change in formation (from 4-3-3 to a diamond) when Sturridge returns as we try shoehorn both him and Benteke into the starting lineup.

To get better than fifth we need the stars to align which means one of the current recognized top 4 will need to have a pretty horrific season.

This is the most pessimistic I've been since Rodgers got the job.  I hope I'm proved wrong.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1083 on: August 3, 2015, 09:33:43 pm »
I agree with you but there is plenty of talent in the squad to finish in the top four. If one of the teams levels drop we should be capitolising. We should be clocking up 70-76 points. Anything lower and we have underachieved.
Thing is, KH, that would be true if the new players are all settled down. But we won't know that until the first month's games are over. I would also agree with Chakan that we have a more balanced team than United, but the big question is can we hit the ground running, and will the players be gelling until November?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1084 on: August 3, 2015, 09:35:08 pm »
With the squad we have fourth is a definite possibility but I can't see it happening for 2 reasons:

1) Lovren starting over Sakho will be a massive mistake.  Sakho is better and more experienced at every level than Lovren and the fact that it looks like Rodgers will prefer Lovren at Stoke will be the death knell for our hopes of a good start and (probably) Sakho's Liverpool career (and perhaps even Rodgers himself)

2) If we're playing both Henderson and Milner then the 1 other central midfielder needs to be either Lucas or Can as a dedicated DM.  This crap about us needing a DM is just that - crap.  Lucas will do a fine job due to his reading of the game, positional skills and experience of knowing when to put a foot in to break up a dangerous situation - regardless of whether that gives away a foul.  Can will come in when there's less of a threat to add more drive and verticality.  But with neither of them, a 2 of Milner and Henderson will expose the defence if we decide to press high or blunt our attack if they're playing as a 2.

Other factors which could destabilise us are the new players being integrated, an overstock of attacking midfielders who may grumble if they're not playing and a complete change in formation (from 4-3-3 to a diamond) when Sturridge returns as we try shoehorn both him and Benteke into the starting lineup.

To get better than fifth we need the stars to align which means one of the current recognized top 4 will need to have a pretty horrific season.

This is the most pessimistic I've been since Rodgers got the job.  I hope I'm proved wrong.

I wouldnt go as far to say one of the top four need to have a horrific season. This squad is good enough to achieve close to 76 points which isnt far off what the top teams achieved last season. If we dont then Rodgers has underachieved.

Also talentwise we have as many goalscorers as we have ever had. I would go as far to say that IF Sturridge can play 60% of the games and Benteke also notches up 30 starts then we will come fourth as they will get us goals,regardless of what the others do.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1085 on: August 3, 2015, 09:45:13 pm »
I wouldnt go as far to say one of the top four need to have a horrific season. This squad is good enough to achieve close to 76 points which isnt far off what the top teams achieved last season. If we dont then Rodgers has underachieved.

Also talentwise we have as many goalscorers as we have ever had. I would go as far to say that IF Sturridge can play 60% of the games and Benteke also notches up 30 starts then we will come fourth as they will get us goals,regardless of what the others do.

The problem with that idea is that all the other sides who finished in the top 4 last year will be saying the same. Costa, Remy, Falcao for Chelsea, Rooney, Depay and whoever it is they get to replace Di Maria for United, Giroud, Walcott and Sanchez for Arsenal, Aguero, Dzeko and Bony for City. If those strikers all for their respective clubs then they'll be thinking it won't matter what anyone else does.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1086 on: August 3, 2015, 10:05:37 pm »
well then it comes down to the head-to-heads, but at least one team will get caught out by the west hams, stokes, Swanseas, WBAs etc. It always happens every season

Offline LFC_2005

• Main Stander
« Reply #1087 on: August 3, 2015, 10:15:52 pm »
i think all our signings have been improvements. clyne, milner,benteke and firminio. should improve our last year standings. if any of our strikers hit 20+ goals,we could get into top 4. a lot will depend on benteke's impact.

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: August 3, 2015, 10:31:17 pm »
I see potential pitfalls in our rivals in terms of front line play for all but Chelsea, who I'm crossing my fingers waste a decent amount of time unsuccessfully trying to get Falcao firing once again. Kind of like how last season we were all saying "if only Sturridge stays healthy...," United at present are very reliant on Rooney through the middle, Arsenal on Giroud in terms of an out-and-out striker, City on an injury-prone Aguero(sounds like Dzeko's on the way out, Bony as of yet an unproven City player), Spurs on Kane.

I'm just as much inclined to say that about Benteke and us I think, but that's if we are already going worst-case scenario and saying Sturridge once again has trouble battling future injuries and/or really takes a while to settle whenever he does return. There's a chance too that Sturridge returns in a few months and is able to shake the injuries off more or less, and we have arguably once again the best 1-2 in terms of striker pairing in the league. Obviously I'm being really optimistic about Benteke, but I just feel very good about what he's going to bring to the side.

All I know is that if players perform how they're capable in this squad, we will at the least make the margin of error for top four competitors very small. And at that point, all it takes is a bad run of form for a club, a key long-term injury or two, or just one big head-to-head result that may swing the balance in our favor. Of course, it could be us suffering that too, such are the unexpected swings of the game. But that's why they play the games on a pitch and not a piece of paper.

"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: August 3, 2015, 10:33:41 pm »
5th is par, but we've got a pretty decent chance at top 4. Growing more optimistic by the day. :)

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: August 3, 2015, 10:44:46 pm »
The worst case scenario in our case happened last season. Everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong. Mignolet lost form in the first half of the season, none of our strikers got more than 5 goals, our second top scorer's head wasn't it for the last half of the season and it seems everyone got affected by the shenanigans.

Of course, the same thing could happen to us this season, but what are the chances?

Online Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #1091 on: August 3, 2015, 10:49:51 pm »
My expectations are as they've been for the past 5 or 6 seasons ....

Get into 4th and try to win at least one cup comp

Our par is about 5th position but if a top 4 team has a mare for whatever reason (bad injuries, bad luck or a sacked manager) then I can see us getting in if we keep injury free and most players remain in form.

I don't know why but I keep getting this sneaky feeling that City might fall apart if they don't get off to a flyer.  There seems little love towards their manager and if they bomb in the CL yet again I can see it coming apart at the seams very quickly.  Their squad is aging badly and aprt from Sterling I dont see too much new blood.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2015, 10:53:08 pm by Red_Rich »
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline LFC_2005

• Main Stander
« Reply #1092 on: August 3, 2015, 11:35:49 pm »
arsenal has improved with their goal keeper, but they need a 20+ goal striker to win them the league. but they will be there close to the top.

i can think of many things that can go wrong with chelsea. Last season, winning the title was a must after a trophyless season. this year, that would be a minimum requirement and a good CL run would be expected. with the squad being mostly the same, i don't think they would  fare well in CL. could also affect their league.

city, sterling - may play well with silva and aguero around him. but sterling may take time to start performing consistently for them. any injury to aguero and he will be under huge pressure to deliver.

united were less than convincing getting to 4th. a lot will change if de gea leaves. not very sure about their new signings.

most of these 4 teams haven't changed much this summer and many things can go wrong for any of them. we on the other hand have made some shrewd signings.

i don't think we need other team to fall apart. we should be good enough to get to top 4.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1093 on: August 4, 2015, 05:53:38 am »
arsenal has improved with their goal keeper, but they need a 20+ goal striker to win them the league. but they will be there close to the top.

i can think of many things that can go wrong with chelsea. Last season, winning the title was a must after a trophyless season. this year, that would be a minimum requirement and a good CL run would be expected. with the squad being mostly the same, i don't think they would  fare well in CL. could also affect their league.

city, sterling - may play well with silva and aguero around him. but sterling may take time to start performing consistently for them. any injury to aguero and he will be under huge pressure to deliver.

united were less than convincing getting to 4th. a lot will change if de gea leaves. not very sure about their new signings.

most of these 4 teams haven't changed much this summer and many things can go wrong for any of them. we on the other hand have made some shrewd signings.

i don't think we need other team to fall apart. we should be good enough to get to top 4.

I agree, as it stands we have caught them up. But, I can't see them not strengthening further before the window shuts.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #1094 on: August 4, 2015, 06:22:52 am »
The squad has improved from last season so anything less than 5th is a bad season. We got to two semi finals with the horrendous season we had last year so anything can happen with this better squad.
Seen us win everything

Offline TheSoundLady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1095 on: August 4, 2015, 07:36:39 am »

I think you're totally wrong.

I think there are about 350 factors involved in whether we can get top 4 or not. Lovren or Sakho is just one of them and I don't think it's a big one. And I think we'll see both of them this season and rightly so. The CM thing I don't think is a big issue either. In some games we'll see Hendo and Milner. In others we'll see Can or Lucas in addition to them. In others it might be different. So be it. I think these things won't make or break anything. And each game deserves a line up selection on its own merit, and Rodgers will do just that to the best of his ability.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: August 4, 2015, 11:55:46 am »
And yet you, a random person on the Internet does see it. One of 2 things is clear. 1) We should sack Rodgers and hire you or 2) Rodgers knows more than you. Guess which one I think it is?

So you agree with Rodgers that Lovren should be starting over Sahko?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1097 on: August 4, 2015, 12:08:39 pm »
This bit I agree with - and I think we will if it were to happen

However i think at least 3 of the 4 (Chelsea may struggle to hit last year's points total) will probably be stronger this season than last

Maybe, but its never that linear. Always people say x or y will be better this year but they never always are. Arsenal got less points last year than the year before. City dropped massively. Utd improved fair enough.

I agree that the others are stronger (although not by much), but we have a trump card IF Sturridge can stay fit in that very few sides can put out a midfield and attack that consist of as many goals as Coutinho, Milner, Henderson, Sturridge, Firmino and Benteke. We are not lacking in depth in those areas either and I would argue that bar maybe 1 top midfielder thats as good a 6 as you are going to get in this league.

This squad is capable of getting 70-76 points. That should be the target and to be frank a expectation. If we get that and dont finish fourth and those teams do improve as we think then fair play. But if we don't achieve that then quite frankly Rodgers has underperformed.

Offline heathenwoods

• Main Stander
« Reply #1098 on: August 4, 2015, 01:38:19 pm »
Fuck par, I'd rather enjoy myself than over analyse a source of pleasure.

It's going to be a close season. Arse don't let many in but don't score many after a miserable season of injuries; London Russians ship goals and Tiny Maureen won't admit it; Abu Dhabi United Group City will have a meltdown, Pellegrini will start smoking on the sidelines and be ejected from the ground, they'll go through another 2 managers before the season's out; paranoid mental states will affect morale and play in Mordor - panic buys in January will further destabilise the Dutch hell. We win the league and a cup.

Online Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: August 4, 2015, 01:44:49 pm »
I think the teams above us are ordinary talent wise, but have managers that can play to his players strengths, and a goalscorer to rattle in goals (Aguero, Sanchez, Costa)

Last season with Rodgers we saw he was incapable of playing to his players strengths, and obviously we had no one to rattle in goals. He made zero attempt to play to the strengths of his available strikers.

He has one last chance to get it right, and if he does, I think we'll be right in the mix.

You know, this is key.

Yes, the richer teams can buy what are regarded as better players, but........

We have a very good squad of players, who on their day are capable of competing with the best.

The influence of the manager cannot be underestimated in getting the team over the line in difficult games and notching up a few extra points each season from their guidance and being clever with their tactics game to game.

Rodgers perhaps did show his naviety at times last year due to his inexperience compared to the other managers above him.

Hopefully he's learned from that because this young team needs a really canny manager to guide them this year.

I'm not fully convinced about all the squads above us this year.  But I am convinced about their managers and what they're capable of.

Offline ShayGuevara

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1100 on: August 4, 2015, 04:15:00 pm »
Goals win leagues.

In the past 5 seasons the top 4 sides have also been the top 4 goalscorers. 70 goals just like points generally being the target. It's been discussed plenty in the past on here so I won't get into it too much but the stats are there for all to see.

To finish in the top 4 we need 70 or so goals. 13/14 we got 102, lost SAS and finished on 52.

We've got rid of our misfiring strikers and added Benteke, Firmino and Milner all proven goalscorers to our attack while losing Gerrard and Sterling who were both 10+ goalscorers. Gerrard scoring most of his goals from penalty's though should be easily replaced possibly to Benteke or Henderson. How Benteke and Firmino adapt to our side is vital this season, if they manage 30 between them we'll stroll top 4.

United have one player capable of scoring significantly more than 10 goals. Mata, Depay, Feilani and Herrera capable of 10 or so. I struggle to see where their goals are coming from. Let's not forget Feilani Unlikey to start and that most of United goals at the tail end of last season came through him.

Arsenal have finished the past 5 seasons on between 68-74 goals and finished either 3rd and 4th each season. Cech should add a few extra points as he's a lot better than anyone they've had in that position in previous years but I can't see significant change in their position.

Chelsea are easily the best side and City have 5 players in Aguero, Bony, Silva, Toure and Sterling who should hit 10+ goals that's 50-70 easily from those 5 so they should finish top 4 also.

We create chances, last season we created a similar amount to 13/14 so that wasn't the problem conversion was. Henderson, Milner, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Benteke and Sturridge are all capable of scoring goals in a Rodgers side so let's hope they do this season.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2015, 04:16:52 pm by ShayGuevara »
"The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It's the way I see football, the way I see life" Bill Shankly

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #1101 on: August 4, 2015, 04:19:12 pm »
Goals win leagues.

In the past 5 seasons the top 4 sides have also been the top 4 goalscorers. 70 goals just like points generally being the target. It's been discussed plenty in the past on here so I won't get into it too much but the stats are there for all to see.

To finish in the top 4 we need 70 or so goals. 13/14 we got 102, lost SAS and finished on 52.

We've got rid of our misfiring strikers and added Benteke, Firmino and Milner all proven goalscorers to our attack while losing Gerrard and Sterling who were both 10+ goalscorers. Gerrard scoring most of his goals from penalty's though should be easily replaced possibly to Benteke or Henderson. How Benteke and Firmino adapt to our side is vital this season, if they manage 30 between them we'll stroll top 4.

United have one player capable of scoring significantly more than 10 goals. Mata, Depay, Feilani and Herrera capable of 10 or so. I struggle to see where their goals are coming from. Let's not forget Feilani Unlikey to start and that most of United goals at the tail end of last season came through him.

Arsenal have finished the past 5 seasons on between 68-74 goals and finished either 3rd and 4th each season. Cech should add a few extra points as he's a lot better than anyone they've had in that position in previous years but I can't see significant change in their position.

Chelsea are easily the best side and City have 5 players in Aguero, Bony, Silva, Toure and Sterling who should hit 10+ goals that's 50-70 easily from those 5 so they should finish top 4 also.

We create chances, last season we created a similar amount to 13/14 so that wasn't the problem conversion was. Henderson, Milner, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Benteke and Sturridge are all capable of scoring goals in a Rodgers side so let's hope they do this season.
You can win the league with 38 goals just as long as you dont concede. Our main problem is conceding, the past 2 seasons we've conceded so many goals due to defensive errors.
Seen us win everything

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1102 on: August 4, 2015, 04:21:00 pm »
You can win the league with 38 goals just as long as you dont concede. Our main problem is conceding, the past 2 seasons we've conceded so many goals due to defensive errors.

Saints finished with one of the best defensive records going and they didnt get close to the top four. We need goals and lots of them. That is without doubt the most important thing.

Offline ShayGuevara

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1103 on: August 4, 2015, 04:25:12 pm »

It's not though. If we scored the goals last season we would of finished top 4, just like we did the season before when we conceded just as many. Like I said the stats are there to back it up, if we hit the 70 goal mark I'd say we're about 90% nailed on to make top 4. Whether we concede 30 or 50 won't have half the effect of whether we score 50 or 70.
"The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It's the way I see football, the way I see life" Bill Shankly

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: August 4, 2015, 04:46:37 pm »

Look at 2 seasons ago.  Our defence was pretty shite but we finished within a nats pube of winning the title.  All because we banged in 102 goals, that's why.  Just unfortunate for us that Manchester City were banging them in at a similar rate to!

If we score anything similar to those figures this season we'll be in another title race, crap defence or not.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #1105 on: August 4, 2015, 04:50:36 pm »
Look at 2 seasons ago.  Our defence was pretty shite but we finished within a nats pube of winning the title.  All because we banged in 102 goals, that's why.  Just unfortunate for us that Manchester City were banging them in at a similar rate to!

If we score anything similar to those figures this season we'll be in another title race, crap defence or not.
But if we had a finer defense we wouldnt have conceded half the goals we did.
Seen us win everything

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1106 on: August 4, 2015, 04:51:38 pm »

And ultimately lost it because we conceded 50+ goals.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: August 4, 2015, 04:57:51 pm »
And ultimately lost it because we conceded 50+ goals.

No we lost it due to one unfortunate slip.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1108 on: August 4, 2015, 04:59:43 pm »

Which funny enough lead to a goal. We lost it because our defense shipped 50+ goals. Scoring goals wasn't a problem, so it must have been at the other end no?

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #1109 on: August 4, 2015, 05:02:49 pm »
If par was relevant we'd be finishing above the likes of Spurs.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: August 4, 2015, 05:03:50 pm »

Maybe, or maybe it was due to some previous poor results.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: August 4, 2015, 05:04:48 pm »

What is this par nonsense anyway. Last time i looked we were not playing golf.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1112 on: August 4, 2015, 05:10:23 pm »
i predict sometimes we will play in Red,

i also predict people will wait to see the outcome of each game so they can then decide what the manager should have done before the game started .

( wise after the result is known)
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Pope Dave

• Main Stander
  • Lick my decals off, baby
« Reply #1113 on: August 4, 2015, 05:44:37 pm »

"It looks like" is very different to a "fact".
What's the point in coming if you're not gonna sing?

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1114 on: August 4, 2015, 05:54:56 pm »

Why does par become irrelevant if the team doesn't achieve it? Surely falling short of it is a way of measuring how we've under achieved.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #1115 on: August 4, 2015, 06:10:10 pm »
Why does par become irrelevant if the team doesn't achieve it? Surely falling short of it is a way of measuring how we've under achieved.

It doesn't become irrelevant just highlighting on over reliance on it (should have said, "that relevant") and how it meant fuck all last season.

Yes, wages and net spend tell a story, but as I say if they were the be all and end all we wouldn't be finishing below the likes of Spurs nor would Wenger have been able to do what he did prior to them paying off their stadium.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #1116 on: August 4, 2015, 06:12:08 pm »
None of the recent top four are invincible super teams like Barcelona. There are two ways we can get top four:
- Benteke is a success and  we start playing great again
- We get the expected 70-75 points but one of the others have a poor season. Which isn't very unlikely.

To win, we can't rely on all four others to fail. Then we simply need a fantastic season, where Firmino and Benteke are successes, Sturridge returns fit and the defense finds the last winter form. That seems far fetched, but on the other hand the PL is the weakest in ages.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: August 4, 2015, 06:31:38 pm »
most likely outcome =/= destiny

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: August 4, 2015, 06:39:45 pm »
None of the recent top four are invincible super teams like Barcelona. There are two ways we can get top four:
- We get the expected 70-75 points but one of the others have a poor season. Which isn't very unlikely.

To win, we can't rely on all four others to fail. Then we simply need a fantastic season, where Firmino and Benteke are successes, Sturridge returns fit and the defense finds the last winter form. That seems far fetched, but on the other hand the PL is the weakest in ages.
The title winners may not be as strong as usual, but I don't think it's easier to make the top 4, and I'd argue the bottom of the Prem is stronger than ever, as is inevitable when clubs like Crystal Palace can now attract players like Cabaye.

Agree with the rest of your post though. I actually think if we hit 74 points, we'll have a very, very good chance of 4th.

Offline TheSoundLady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1119 on: August 4, 2015, 06:45:08 pm »

You're absolutely correct. The chances that one or more of the top 4 will fail are very very high. The chances that all will fail are extremely low. In order to finish top 4, all we need to do is not fail. If we fail, we need to fail less badly than one of the top 4.

To win it, we need to be amazing, and we need all the other teams to be a little less amazing, especially Chelsea who seem to be the standard bearers. So it's very unlikely but possible.