Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5751954 times)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Artettacking Front Four?
« Reply #56320 on: September 23, 2020, 02:35:59 am »
Whatever it is - spots 3 and 4 are going to be just as hard to get as last year - but will probably be at a higher points total.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56321 on: September 23, 2020, 08:37:09 am »
They seem to be tactically better, and less naive than before. That's down to the manager. So you would have to say they are on the right path.

With that said, outside of a few good to great players, they just don't have the quality or squad to be up in the top 4. If they were to lose Aubamayang for any length of time they would drop a significant amount of points.

I expect they will finish around 5th. Liverpool, City, Chelsea will make the top 3. If things go their way, they can push for 4th. I just look at Spurs, Arsenal and United and its a battle of firepower between them. Spurs and United have their goals spread out more between players. That will be decisive over this season that will be full of injuries and rotation.

If they manage to keep Aubamayang fit all season, they will have a great shout at 4th though. He is so crucial to their chances. We have been labeled a one man team many times pre-Klopp, but I don't feel we have ever been as reliant on one player as Arsenal with Aubamayang.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:43:22 am by deano2727 »

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56322 on: September 23, 2020, 08:58:08 am »
The top four race looks as tight as ever as United and Chelsea will be up there. Arsenal have improved a lot under Arteta, Wolves have no Europa League games so will only concentrate on the league and Spurs, Leicester and Everton have had really good transfer windows as well.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #56323 on: September 23, 2020, 09:03:49 am »
Think it’s a little unfair to ignore Southampton and Burnley if you’re including Arsenal in the top four race
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #56324 on: September 23, 2020, 09:27:44 am »
Between 2004 and 2017, wenger only won fa cups, they definitely kept him in a job, and rightly so. If its not about trophies, what is it about?

This team is overperforming given these same players were closer to the relegation zone than to the top 4 after 18 games last season when Arteta took over.  Last season looked like a relegation battle pretty much till Christmas, in the end we beat man city chelsea and liverpool with the same players and won the cup, the improvement has been immense, I dont think there are graphs for team unity and effort, but surely they should stick the trophies somewhere in there, as they are milestone achievements, not a means to and end.

Wenger was kept in the job because he represented a bond that the money would be repaid for the move to Emirates.
The banks wanted someone who would guarantee stability and a reasonable level of success. . He provided that in spades with regular Top 4 and a few cups thrown in.
Look at the way you have lurched around trying to find a manager to replace him. Pre Covid, the empty seats at the Emirates were a weird justification of the banks desire to keep Wenger in place. Empty seats at the Emirates were a rare thing until the very end of his tenure. They became increasingly obvious after. 

Spurs are in similar need of stability. They have shot themselves in the foot by appointing Mourinho. Without Covid, his shit on a stick football would have had more than a few empty spaces. Levy has a potential white elephant sitting in the corner of his dreams.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #56325 on: September 23, 2020, 09:33:07 am »
Will the media ever focus on the number of years since they won the league?
Only seventeen years and counting...
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #56326 on: September 23, 2020, 10:29:09 am »
I used to be envious of Wenger’s Arsenal. Beautiful football, world class off the field, shrewd signings, strong academy, great players. They’re not that anymore. FSG looked at them, emulated them and now we’re quite like them then. On the field this Arsenal team is far from Wenger’s Arsenal. This is more George Graham’s Arsenal ... I don’t think we should mind one bit

All that matters is that we stuffed them on Monday. That flukey 2-1 win and the Charity Shield made them delude themselves into believing that they’ve got us all figured out. On Monday, we should dispel that myth against this Mourinho’s team in disguise

Not sure where you are seeing Arsenal fans thinking they now have the measure of Liverpool, I'd find that difficult to believe among the sane in our support. Going to Anfield is probably our hardest game of the season, so coming away with anything but a defeat will be a major surprise given where both teams are currently at.

I'm also a bit surprised people are also shocked that Arteta decided that with the players he has Arsenal are not good enough to play open & expansive football against the better teams in the league. We have a defence & midfield that lacked physicality & athleticism. You'd need to be a pretty naive manager to think that you can open up against sides & have the likes of Luiz, Mustafi & Xhaka as your spine.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56327 on: September 23, 2020, 10:49:14 am »
Not sure where you are seeing Arsenal fans thinking they now have the measure of Liverpool, I'd find that difficult to believe among the sane in our support. Going to Anfield is probably our hardest game of the season, so coming away with anything but a defeat will be a major surprise given where both teams are currently at.

You also haven't won at Anfield since Rodgers' first season.

Since Klopp arrived, our front three have scored 14 goals against them in 5 league games at Anfield alone.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56328 on: September 23, 2020, 11:01:03 am »

Since Klopp arrived, our front three have scored 14 goals against them in 5 league games at Anfield alone.

Exactly. Our season won't be defined by Mondays game. You guys are streets ahead of us still, any team can get 1 or 2 decent results against anyone but law of averages dictate that the better team will win more often than not.

To be frank, as long as we are well organised & don't give away goals like Luiz did for the game at Anfield last season, & at least try & make you earn your win would be a step up considering how shambolic we've been in the past. Call me a pessimist but i prefer realist.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56329 on: September 23, 2020, 11:30:56 am »

I think winning at an opposition ground is going lack meaning when there are no fans.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56330 on: September 23, 2020, 12:17:49 pm »
I think winning at an opposition ground is going lack meaning when there are no fans.

So you winning at Stamford bridge didnt mean anything?
No one else has won at Anfield since lockdown, or for I dont know how many years before, weird how all our challenges get played down recently. Man city (Pep had a psychotic episode), Liverpool (didnt care first game, friendly second game), Chelsea (cant defend), Wolves (getting found out), Sheff utd( in bad form),  fa cup (doesnt matter when Arsenal win it), Community shield (whats that) Fulham (going down), west ham (Moyes gangbang innit), , now even a trip to Anfield is being played down as not as tough, id rather the crowd were there and the Liverpool players werent to be honest.
Everyone else wins because theyre great, we win because our opponents are shit. 

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56331 on: September 23, 2020, 12:23:50 pm »
So you winning at Stamford bridge didnt mean anything?
No one else has won at Anfield since lockdown, or for I dont know how many years before, weird how all our challenges get played down recently. Man city (Pep had a psychotic episode), Liverpool (didnt care first game, friendly second game), Chelsea (cant defend), Wolves (getting found out), Sheff utd( in bad form),  fa cup (doesnt matter when Arsenal win it), Community shield (whats that) Fulham (going down), west ham (Moyes gangbang innit), , now even a trip to Anfield is being played down as not as tough, id rather the crowd were there and the Liverpool players werent to be honest.
Everyone else wins because theyre great, we win because our opponents are shit.

If you go to Anfield (fans or no fans) and grab a win against a superior team, while we have something meaningful to play for, I think people will give credit where credit is due.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #56332 on: September 23, 2020, 12:32:16 pm »
I think Arsenal will get 4th spot this year.
#JFT97

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56333 on: September 23, 2020, 12:46:00 pm »
If you go to Anfield (fans or no fans) and grab a win against a superior team, while we have something meaningful to play for, I think people will give credit where credit is due.

If we get a draw, even with 0% possession, and no shots on goal, it would be a massive result. Is there a harder fixture in world football? Bayern away maybe? 

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56334 on: September 23, 2020, 01:36:09 pm »
If we get a draw, even with 0% possession, and no shots on goal, it would be a massive result. Is there a harder fixture in world football? Bayern away maybe? 

Bayern away was a piece of piss for us mate.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56335 on: September 23, 2020, 03:34:46 pm »
Bayern away was a piece of piss for us mate.

Tell you what, this version of Bayern with added Sane vs this Liverpool with Thiago would probably be the rightful Champions League final this year, & would be a great game.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56336 on: September 23, 2020, 04:02:12 pm »
Arteta's clearly doing a good job. They were in danger of becoming a Milan under Emery.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #56337 on: September 23, 2020, 09:05:02 pm »

can't wait for Arteta to be taught his place after his two flukes over us
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #56338 on: September 23, 2020, 09:05:38 pm »

yeah they will.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56339 on: September 23, 2020, 09:32:38 pm »

They started fairly strong-ish last season as well before going into complete meltdown. Didn't they go 3 months without a win or something mad?

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56340 on: September 23, 2020, 09:53:46 pm »
Another comfortable straight forward flukey win, pretty much dominated from start to finish. Doubt we ll ever see Ozil play for Arsenal again, couldnt even make the carabao squad.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #56341 on: September 23, 2020, 10:00:38 pm »
The sextuple is still on!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56342 on: September 23, 2020, 10:04:23 pm »
Another comfortable straight forward flukey win, pretty much dominated from start to finish. Doubt we ll ever see Ozil play for Arsenal again, couldnt even make the carabao squad.

Was 15 shots to 10 though in favour of Leicester, so that shouldn't count.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56343 on: September 23, 2020, 10:08:30 pm »

I havent looked at XG yet, so dont know if the result will stand.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #56344 on: September 23, 2020, 10:14:19 pm »
Hey boys. Leave the gooners alone will ya. Let them enjoy the domestic cups. It's good to see teams further down the chain get a bit of glory 😁😁

I read the game has been moved because of the ten o clock thing. They could have just given us Robbie or Suarez back and it would have been done after fifteen minutes.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56345 on: September 23, 2020, 10:19:58 pm »
Hey boys. Leave the gooners alone will ya. Let them enjoy the domestic cups. It's good to see teams further down the chain get a bit of glory 😁😁

I read the game has been moved because of the ten o clock thing. They could have just given us Robbie or Suarez back and it would have been done after fifteen minutes.

;D ;D  ;D Now that's more like it!  :lickin

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #56346 on: September 23, 2020, 10:24:33 pm »

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #56347 on: September 24, 2020, 12:03:20 am »

LOL

About the only thing I'd take from this is somehow Eddie Nketiah doesn't look like Marlo Stanfield anymore and it's quite disappointing.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56348 on: September 24, 2020, 12:28:35 am »
LOL

About the only thing I'd take from this is somehow Eddie Nketiah doesn't look like Marlo Stanfield anymore and it's quite disappointing.

You want it to be one way but it's the other way, I guess.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #56349 on: September 24, 2020, 01:10:35 am »
You want it to be one way but it's the other way, I guess.

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56350 on: September 24, 2020, 12:01:45 pm »
Arteta's clearly doing a good job. They were in danger of becoming a Milan under Emery.
Yeah Arteta is really good I can actually see a tactical gameplan from his Arsenal side which I can't say the same for Ole or Lampard. Arsenal look a good bet for a 3rd place finish this season if they can bring in Party and Aouar

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56351 on: September 24, 2020, 12:59:56 pm »
Yeah Arteta is really good I can actually see a tactical gameplan from his Arsenal side which I can't say the same for Ole or Lampard. Arsenal look a good bet for a 3rd place finish this season if they can bring in Party and Aouar

This is the annoying part about supporting a team that cant spend like Chelsea City and Man United, those 2 players could be the difference between top 4 and not, they will clearly improve our weakest area which is midfield, and yet we simply havent got the funds to go for them. City and chelsea would have their signings wrapped up in a couple of days.
To be fair to Arteta hes never moaned about it, hes done a Klopp in getting on with things and pretending he is in a lucky position.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56352 on: September 24, 2020, 01:51:04 pm »
This is the annoying part about supporting a team that cant spend like Chelsea City and Man United, those 2 players could be the difference between top 4 and not, they will clearly improve our weakest area which is midfield, and yet we simply havent got the funds to go for them. City and chelsea would have their signings wrapped up in a couple of days.
To be fair to Arteta hes never moaned about it, hes done a Klopp in getting on with things and pretending he is in a lucky position.

Couldn't agree more. For us to be able to sign them both, which we clearly want & need, we are really relying on getting sales out the door but it's been a tough market as we all thought it would post Covid.

I think we might manage 1 of them in the last week perhaps, but would be a minor miracle to get both now I think. I flip flop constantly on who I think we need most out the 2, even though to be more complete in midfield we need both profiles I'd say.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #56353 on: September 24, 2020, 02:07:31 pm »
Stating the obvious, but you guys could really do with getting Ozil off the wage bill.  What's the situation there?  Is he just refusing to leave or are buying clubs put off by his huge wages?

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56354 on: September 24, 2020, 02:39:08 pm »
Stating the obvious, but you guys could really do with getting Ozil off the wage bill.  What's the situation there?  Is he just refusing to leave or are buying clubs put off by his huge wages?

Bit of both. Ozil happy to stay (who wouldn't be picking up £350k a week to play Fortnite), & the fact very few (as in no-one) would actually pay him that.

Shame, would probably do a good turn in Serie A, perhaps in that 2014 Dream Team Conte has assembled.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56355 on: September 24, 2020, 02:51:39 pm »
can't wait for Arteta to be taught his place after his two flukes over us
Exactly ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56356 on: September 26, 2020, 03:50:37 am »
Closing in on Houssem Aouar for around 40m. Big injection of attacking creativity to our midfield if it gets over the line.

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #56357 on: September 26, 2020, 04:57:18 am »
Closing in on Houssem Aouar for around 40m. Big injection of attacking creativity to our midfield if it gets over the line.
He'd be an excellent addition to your team if he can settle well in the PL and in England. He may take time to settle not unlike Keita for us.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #56358 on: September 26, 2020, 07:11:35 am »
Will the media ever focus on the number of years since they won the league?
Only seventeen years and counting...
It’s quietly become a long time. Such a powerhouse at one point. The difference in Liverpool’s drought is that it began prior to the dawn of the Premier League so were not even part of the new order. Liverpool’s heyday was in old money; Arsenal can, at least, recall triumphs in the modern era. I think that’s part of the reason Arsenal going without a title isn’t the same.

Offline kloppagetime

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56359 on: September 26, 2020, 07:19:03 am »
Don't think you will be signing him for £40 million Ndombele went for £50+ million and Aour is classes above Ndombele as a footballer. I think Lyon would be at least looking for £60 million and I would be extremely shocked if they sold him for anything below that figure.