Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Nottingham Forest v Liverpool Saturday March 2, 3 pm  (Read 16384 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Must win. Tricky away fixture. Threadbare squad. We need to keep momentum in this, our manager's swansong season. Forest, hovering just above the drop zone, are desperate for points.

Alright, I've gotten the cliches out of the way, now settle in while I tell you the tale of one Vivian Alexander Anderson.

Forest, for our more youthful members or those recently come to the sport, were something of a phenomenon in the late 1970s. Under the guidance of Brian Clough, their irascible, pigheaded, alcoholic showman of a manager, they won the European Cup in 1979 and then remarkably did it again the year after. That was the competition that would become the Champions League, the premier European battleground. You may recall we won it a few times around then.

Key to their success was Viv Anderson, a young black English defender who had signed as an apprentice just before Clough arrived. The new manager recognised talent and Anderson became a regular at a time when black players were not regular. He was greeted with bananas and other fruit during a warm up before one game. Clough apparently told him to go back out there and get him two pears and a banana. He also told him ‘You let people like that dictate to you, you’re not going to make it as a footballer. We’re going to pick somebody else.’ Not too many safe spaces back then.

Anderson was picked for England in 1978 and went on to play thirty times for his country. There is some argument but most people seem to accept that he was the first black player to play for England in a senior game, albeit a friendly. On his debut, he got personal telegrams from the Queen and Elton John. Folks, you have no idea what a big deal this was, in an era where there were maybe a dozen black players in the top division. It seems ridiculous from our modern balcony but England then, and by extension English football, was a white dominated place, and one where other colour folks were generally thought of as somewhat undesirable or suspect. I imagine the rest of Europe was little different. Liverpool wouldn't field their first black player, Howard Gayle, until 1980.

I remember the attitudes, they're lazy, they don't get tactics, they don't like it in the bad weather and the likes of Viv Anderson and Laurie Cunningham and Cyrille Regis and a few others just...got on with it. Think of how it must have felt for a young black or brown kid at the time, to see someone like them on tv, playing for England, getting telegrams from the Queen, the feeling of being proud and validated and seen. I could do that. I could be a footballer, because Viv Anderson is brilliant and he looks like me. Anderson, in turn, had his own inspiration. “There was only ever one black face on the television playing football – a lad called Clyde Best at West Ham in the 1960s. Every time Match of the Day came on, Clyde Best would be there. I thought ‘yes, I could be like him’.”

Anderson was a fine player. Elegant, rangy, tough tackling and a scorer of some thumping goals. He was on the PFA Team of the Year twice, at right back. He was Alex Ferguson's first signing when he got the United job and we won't hold that against him. But he will be mostly remembered for the colour of his skin. That's the fate of people who push boundaries. They become known for the boundary, instead of the person they were. Well, he's still with us, leading a quiet and hopefully happy life in some leafy suburb somewhere so if by any chance this makes it there, here's to you, Mr Anderson.

Offline your djemba djembas

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Nottingham Forest v Liverpool Saturday March 2, 3 pm
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 02:25:02 pm »
Nice summary

Any takers on the starting XI?

Diaz, Robertson and MacAllister back for sure

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 02:26:03 pm »
Might see Danns involved again, could play Diaz and Gakpo either side of him.  Think Elliott could do with a breather.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 02:27:02 pm »
Huge game ,, and remembering my days on the Kop .. not a nice place to visit in terms of opposition fans !

bring home 3 points and looking for some light at end of tunnel for players returning to the bench

I expect something  similar to our Chelsea team  with hopefully Robertson, Macca, Luiz starting
Szlabozlai,Salah, Endo and Nunez on the bench

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 02:27:30 pm »
i think the line up will be
---Kelleher----
Gomez---Konate---VVD--Robertson
-----Endo
Mac------Eliott
Bradley--Gakpo---Diaz

maybe Nunez,Salah Szobo off the bench

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 02:29:25 pm »
Love it.
Thanks for that Corkboy.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 02:37:57 pm »
A lot more sceptical about these away games than I am the home ones. After the Arsenal defeat every league game became even more of a must win, and we've done well to beat Burnley, Brentford and Luton since then, but I feel if we win this one and then beat City they'll be the two results which will give us that lead which might just be too much (hopefully) for them two to catch us. Even so there'll be ten games after in the league so a while to go yet, but they are both absolutely huge games, one at a time though.

Kelleher
Gomez   Konate   VVD   Robertson
Endo   Mac Allister   Elliott
Bradley   Gakpo   Diaz

Just laughed at that team selection. Going for every trophy and we're down to a young right back playing in attack, one who I believed would probably be out the door if Calvin Ramsay could remain fit. Funny old game, football. That's not what I think the team will be though, can see Elliott playing on the right and maybe Clark in midfield. Ideally you could rest Elliott but I think he has to play, either in midfield or on the right, just one of them. To go and win a 4th game in ten days with so many players missing would feel like such a statement of intent. Won't be easy I imagine but Forest are on the same level as those last three teams we've beaten in the league, so I'm hoping we get the all important win by any means and go into the City game knowing we can make Anfield a cauldron of noise and get a nice lead over them.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 02:43:06 pm »
Great OP mate.
I remember seeing Clyde Best at Anfield. He was in a pretty shit West Ham side, yet he never stopped running or chasing. He was a proper unit and looked like he would flatten our defence at times.
When Regis came into that West Brom side they played some delightful football. He was another powerful centre forward but it wasn’t just the lump it up the big man style of play. They played proper football.
They were expansive at time and I remember them hammering United
Forest under Clough were never an exciting team to watch. They could park a bus with the best of them, and the addition of Tricky Trev gave them some goals. Clough had two yard dog centre halves in that first team he built. They also had some yard dogs in midfield, but they were effective. One of the funniest football fight moments was the game at their place when Lloyd jumped down the back of Davy Johnson’s legs and removed both his boots. The tone was set with some heavy challenges, until the big flare up when McGovern tried to fight Souness. With comical result.
Their style won them a league title and two ECs, but it wasn’t great to watch.
Let’s hope we batter them
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2024, 02:46:18 pm »
We've actually got a very poor record at The City Ground - granted we've not visited too many times in the last few years, but we havent won there since 1984 in the league (I think that's right?)

I'd go as strong as possible, take the young players out of the limelight for this one.

Hopefully Nunez & Salah can play some part, at the very least I'd hope to see one of them start the game.

0-1
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2024, 02:47:51 pm »
Alright, I've gotten the cliches out of the way, now settle in while I tell you the tale of one Vivian Alexander Anderson.
Great stuff, Corkboy!  I was a bit too young to appreciate it all, Cyrille Regis and Dave Bennett scoring and winning the FA Cup with Coventry was more my cultural reference.  Always happy to get an education on here  :thumbup

It looks like Anderson heads up an events company these days, one of those where you book a big name from the past for a sportsman's evening.

On to the game, if last night is anything to go by then we're going to be flying by the seat of our pants on this one.  Forest have got loads of pace up-front and strong runners in midfield.  Fingers and toes crossed that Endo is fit to re-join Macca in the middle for us.

They'll serve up chances though, particularly if our press is on it.  Diaz being relatively fresh is a big boost for us as he'll likely be carrying most of the threat for us.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2024, 02:51:38 pm »
Kelleher
Bradley Konate VVD Robbo(?)
Mac Clark Endo*
Gakpo Diaz Danns

Adrian, McC, Quasah, Koumas, Kostas, Elliot, ____, ____, ____

**in a video the day after the Chelsea game I am sure he wasn't wearing a boot.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2024, 02:52:09 pm »
We've actually got a very poor record at The City Ground - granted we've not visited too many times in the last few years, but we havent won there since 1984 in the league (I think that's right?)

I'd go as strong as possible, take the young players out of the limelight for this one.

Hopefully Nunez & Salah can play some part, at the very least I'd hope to see one of them start the game.

0-1
I think whichever way you slice it we'll have some of the academy kids on the pitch.  As it stands we only have four senior midfielders/forwards available and one of those is Harvey (the others being Macca, Diaz and Gakpo).  Hopefully lady luck will smile on us and we'll have some combination of Endo, Dom, Darwin and Salah fit and ready to play but, if not, I'm sure the youngsters will do us proud again.

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2024, 02:54:22 pm »
Of what?

This part, ya langer ;)

"Must win. Tricky away fixture. Threadbare squad. We need to keep momentum in this, our manager's swansong season. Forest, hovering just above the drop zone, are desperate for points."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2024, 02:54:47 pm »
I’m sure this will be battle but the biggest positive I’m taking is that this season we have really righted the wrongs from the terrible away results/performances from last season. Won at Brentford, Bournemouth, Wolves and Palace. Played much better at Brighton. This is another wrong to be put right. Their front four are a handful, fast and physical so we’ll need out defensive players to be on it. Do that, score first, let out class tell. 3-1 Redmen.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2024, 02:55:49 pm »
Absolutely a performance doesn't matter just get the win type game. Assuming They rotated a fair bit last night?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2024, 02:56:03 pm »
They played a pretty strong team against Utd and had a tougher match, so that should help a little.  Especially if we have a couple of our walking wounded back.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2024, 03:02:18 pm »
They have some decent attacking players in Elanga, Gibbs White and Hudson Odoi but are a shambles at the back. They arguably have the worst keeper in the league. If we defend well, we should win.

Still have nightmnares about the game there last season. Absolutely grim.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2024, 03:03:05 pm »
Great OP and important context there

Would love to see the xi favoured by a few with Conor at rb, Mac endo elliott midfield and Danns up top with Diaz and gakpo. Would assume Diaz right, gakpo left and Danns through the middle.

Suspect Bobby Clark not far away from a start either

Have the impression these lot leak a few and even the highly constipated man yoo were eventually able to squeeze one out there

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2024, 03:06:24 pm »
I'd really have no issues with Danzy starting up front.
He would relish the opportunity and we could probably serve him with few good chances.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2024, 03:11:25 pm »
I'd start Danzy over Gakpo.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2024, 03:14:17 pm »
They're missing a fair few number of players themselves. Hopefully that works in our favour.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2024, 03:15:41 pm »
Referee Paul Tierney (Manchester Uniteds' bottom)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2024, 03:18:58 pm »
Referee: Paul Tierney.
Assistants: Richard West, Scott Ledger.
Fourth official: Graham Scott.
VAR: Stuart Attwell.
Assistant VAR: Constantine Hatzidakis.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2024, 03:19:40 pm »

This part, ya langer ;)

"Must win. Tricky away fixture. Threadbare squad. We need to keep momentum in this, our manager's swansong season. Forest, hovering just above the drop zone, are desperate for points."

Alright, let me know if you ever get around to reading the rest of it.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2024, 03:22:53 pm »
I'd really have no issues with Danzy starting up front.
He would relish the opportunity and we could probably serve him with few good chances.

Sorry Zlen. I am not sure if I like this. Surely Danno ?
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2024, 03:27:06 pm »
We haven't won there since the 80s, in the league? Crikey, sometimes football throws up some nutty stats.

Lets smash em.
- all in my opinion of course -

• Kemlynite
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2024, 03:29:21 pm »
Alright, let me know if you ever get around to reading the rest of it.

I did. It's great

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2024, 03:29:53 pm »
Paul Fucking Tierney.  Absolute nailed on to destroy the current fairytale for the young lads.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2024, 03:38:22 pm »
Sorry Zlen. I am not sure if I like this. Surely Danno ?

I spontaneously screamed Danzzyyyy when he scored last night. It’s done for me from now on. 

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2024, 03:46:05 pm »
Tierney again?
This is just ridiculous at this point.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2024, 03:47:34 pm »
Forest have been involved in (and mainly in the wrong end of) a large number of 3-2 games this season.

Lost 3-2
United (A)
West Ham (A)
Brighton (H)
Bournemouth (H)
Brentford (A)
Newcastle (H)

And also won 3-2 away at Blackpool in the FA Cup.

Feels like they’ve upped their ability to score since Nuno came in, but are still leaking like a rusty bucket at the back. And as has been pointed out, their keeper is shite.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 03:51:54 pm by Crosby Nick »

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2024, 03:50:40 pm »
Tierney again?
This is just ridiculous at this point.

Dont jinx it, he was alright last time he reffed us.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2024, 04:12:04 pm »
Thanks for the great OP Corkboy. Viv Anderson was certainly an excellent player and positive role model. Hats off to Forest for developing him and helping break down the barriers at that time. They had several really good players and Forest were a great team albeit not that entertaining as you say as they were built around a very strong defensive unit.

There’s no taking away the incredible success they had back then, but even so I always hated Clough. Didn’t find him at all likeable or ‘eccentric’ and always thought he was a horrible condescending prick (long before I knew what condescending meant). My dislike reached epic proportions in 89 and probably, retrospectively, clouded my view of what they achieved as a club.

Talking of defence; When I first started supporting the reds Larry Lloyd seemed to be a constant in Shank’s rebuilt team (I read that he played every minute of every game in the double year 73?). His record for us and for Forest seems very similar. Nice to see ex players doing ok as long as it’s nowhere near impacting LFC so was more than a little disappointing that he ended up playing a big part in a team that then beat us in a couple of really big games; 78 league cup final and 79 European Cup (drawing them 1st round was insane and could never of course happen now). 

Interesting that Paisley decided to move him on when he was only 26 as he clearly had years at the top left in him, but it seems he made way for Phil Thompson, which seemed a smart move, so would be interested to know what older posters who regularly went to matches in those days thought of him?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2024, 04:21:25 pm »
I spontaneously screamed Danzzyyyy when he scored last night. It’s done for me from now on.

I understand. Once you have done that, then that is what he will forever be known as to you.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2024, 04:41:13 pm »
Nice OP thank you. I remember Viv Anderson, good player. I remember Cyrille Regis and Laurie Cunningham too - good players, the latter was absolutely top notch.

As for the game against Forest, it could be tricky. They are obviously low down in the Prem, but they have some attacking options that could hurt anyone on the day, in Awoniyi, Elanga, Gibbs-White and Hudson Odoi. Some pace there too, so we will have to be careful.

Hopefully we see Salah and Nunez making their way back, though it's unlikely either will do a full game after being out. Whatever kids we call on to fill in will hopefully keep up the great work they've been doing too.

Three points hopefully, with no more injuries, and then we can look forward to getting a couple more players back for the run in.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2024, 04:51:27 pm »
This always felt like it was going to the trickiest game before we play City.

We play before the two other title contenders but this is a real banana skin especially if we don't have any of Mo, Nunez or Dom available.

The positive part of me thinks we were holding them back but the lack of any real updates isn't encouraging.

We can still field a strong side if they aren't fit but we must be pushing some lads to the limit.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 04:54:44 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2024, 04:51:40 pm »
If the manc shite can beat them at their home ground we shouldn't have a problem.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2024, 04:56:56 pm »
Has the team been leaked yet?....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2024, 05:01:28 pm »
The good news is that the assistant VAR is miles away and won't get a chance to assault one of our players on the pitch.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.