Author Topic: Public emergency alerts to be sent to all UK mobile phones  (Read 4766 times)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Re: Public emergency alerts to be sent to all UK mobile phones
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2023, 10:54:09 am »
I've set myself a gentle phone alert for just before 3 to remind me so I don't absolutely shit myself when it goes off ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2023, 11:20:56 am »
I've set myself a gentle phone alert for just before 3 to remind me so I don't absolutely shit myself when it goes off ;D

Health and Safety bulletin went around this week to remind all drivers of this. Considering its illegal to touch a phone while driving, they've not fucking thought this one of have they? Feel for all the trampers and all other night workers who will be asleep when this goes off.

I've just found the in settings on the phone, search for Emergency alerts and you can turn it off
Jurgen YNWA

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2023, 11:51:45 am »
Not sure why all the consternation ...as I said previously had it for years in Netherlands....last summer it went off unexpected...a massive fire in a warehouse and wind driving smoke across part of city..Firebrigade feared toxic stuff in warehouse so message went out to those in line of smoke to close windows...two hours late Notice it wasn't toxic.......so a good thing right!?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2023, 12:47:42 pm »
Not sure why all the consternation ...as I said previously had it for years in Netherlands....last summer it went off unexpected...a massive fire in a warehouse and wind driving smoke across part of city..Firebrigade feared toxic stuff in warehouse so message went out to those in line of smoke to close windows...two hours late Notice it wasn't toxic.......so a good thing right!?

Its the Tory govt, we just know they will fuck it up ;D

Tin foil hat wearers won't like that the Govt are monitoring every UK mobile phones location, me I think it's a good tool to be used like your example, but a blanket test, without a thought to who it will affect, is a big talking point.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2023, 03:00:03 pm »
Shit myself then!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2023, 03:01:10 pm »
That was shite. Wasn't even loud  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2023, 03:01:49 pm »
Quite loud and am amazed it worked with the mob that we have in charge of us.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2023, 03:01:59 pm »
Mine was late and didn't even make a noise

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2023, 03:02:11 pm »
Mine was at 2.59 on my mobile so I wasn't ready but it only seemed to last a few seconds.

Just gone off on my work phone about 2 minutes later!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2023, 03:03:35 pm »
I was ready with phone in hand so I didn't get a surprise.

Mrs S thinks she's been clever by turning her phone off. Let's see if it goes off once she switches it back on...

Edit: It didn't.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 03:05:59 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2023, 03:03:50 pm »
Welcome UK to the modern world!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2023, 03:09:33 pm »
Welcome UK to the modern world!
You do realise that the alert gave everyone's exact location to the security services whilst simultaneously reading your mind and gaining all your passwords, don't you? 🥴
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2023, 03:11:02 pm »
You do realise that the alert gave everyone's exact location to the security services whilst simultaneously reading your mind and gaining all your passwords, don't you? 🥴

Bloke doing some work in our house this week told me they’re tracking it so they’ll charge you 50p a mile to drive anywhere in a few months time…just you wait.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2023, 03:16:30 pm »
Bloke doing some work in our house this week told me they’re tracking it so they’ll charge you 50p a mile to drive anywhere in a few months time…just you wait.

Did you tell him to look at Traffic view on google maps, or leave him in his own ignortant little world?

Bet he voted Leave too.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2023, 03:18:30 pm »
doesn't seem the brightest.. you should send him an invoice and see if you can get him to pay you

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2023, 03:27:54 pm »
Had headphones on at the time, glad it didn’t go through the Bluetooth or my ears would still be ringing.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2023, 04:03:44 pm »
both me and my girl didn't receive it - both in west derby - but my brothers in scotland and the north east did

feel like i've missed out - unless we are the only 2 people in the uk who haven't been mind-altered?

don't worry - we'll save the world but we'll have to kill all you zombies first

hope that's okay  :wave
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2023, 04:05:39 pm »
Did you tell him to look at Traffic view on google maps, or leave him in his own ignortant little world?

Bet he voted Leave too.

I’d say so. He was itching to tell me it’s all Sadiq Khan’s fault I think.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2023, 04:15:00 pm »
Its the Tory govt, we just know they will fuck it up ;D

Tin foil hat wearers won't like that the Govt are monitoring every UK mobile phones location, me I think it's a good tool to be used like your example, but a blanket test, without a thought to who it will affect, is a big talking point.

The government aren't monitoring each phone's location. The phone network sort of does, thats how it works. Each phone signal mast reports which phones are currently within reach.  Thats needed to route phone calls correctly. With the alarm, each phone mast is sending a signal to all connected phones to sound the alarm message. They can make it region-specific by only having ceetain masts send the signal, and it will then go to all phones that are currently connected to that mast, but not those in other regions.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2023, 04:40:58 pm »
The government aren't monitoring each phone's location. The phone network sort of does, thats how it works. Each phone signal mast reports which phones are currently within reach.  Thats needed to route phone calls correctly. With the alarm, each phone mast is sending a signal to all connected phones to sound the alarm message. They can make it region-specific by only having ceetain masts send the signal, and it will then go to all phones that are currently connected to that mast, but not those in other regions.

I meant the tin hat wearing brigade, should have worded it better.
Jurgen YNWA

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2023, 04:44:06 pm »
I meant the tin hat wearing brigade, should have worded it better.

Thought so, but also thought its worth explaining again!

Think the conspiracy nutters are out to get everyone killed. Don't get vaccinated, don't listen to the emergency alarm. Bet if an area would be flooded or on fire, they'd also refuse to evacuate.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2023, 05:55:13 pm »
both me and my girl didn't receive it - both in west derby - but my brothers in scotland and the north east did

feel like i've missed out - unless we are the only 2 people in the uk who haven't been mind-altered?

You two are the lucky ones.

Think Day of the Triffids where everyone on earth who saw the cosmic lightshow went blind and were hunted down by flesh-eating plants.

This is very similar, but all who heard the alert will go deaf by midnight and will be eaten by their houseplants as they sleep.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2023, 06:14:29 pm »

to be honest, it was probably deliberate as there's nothing in Derby for the Russians to nuke.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2023, 06:23:38 pm »
Mine went off while I was at the checkout in Sainsbury's. Was a surpise as I thought it was in Airplane mode.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2023, 06:43:20 pm »
Girlfriend's went off on time but my phone did nothing.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2023, 06:43:58 pm »

My lads are with 3 and neither one went off.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2023, 06:58:05 pm »
it wasn't very loud. Bit if a shit warning
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2023, 07:00:45 pm »
I didn't get anything, or if I did I didn't notice
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2023, 07:06:20 pm »
sounds like they need to test the system again haha

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2023, 07:25:08 pm »
sounds like they need to test the system again haha

Knew it would be a fuck up. Probably developed by Sunaks next door neighbour
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2023, 07:47:11 pm »
My lads are with 3 and neither one went off.

Sounds like Tubby and Rob’s kids aren’t coming on the Ark with the rest of us.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2023, 07:49:14 pm »
I'm their dad now.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2023, 08:07:41 pm »
I was out shopping and didn't see or hear anything. Is it a notification that would sit on the phone until cleared?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2023, 08:17:58 pm »

Can you type what it sounded like ?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2023, 09:10:14 pm »
You two are the lucky ones.

Think Day of the Triffids where everyone on earth who saw the cosmic lightshow went blind and were hunted down by flesh-eating plants.

This is very similar, but all who heard the alert will go deaf by midnight and will be eaten by their houseplants as they sleep.

that film scared me as a kid - but how did they get up the stairs?
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2023, 09:10:50 pm »
to be honest, it was probably deliberate as there's nothing in Derby for the Russians to nuke.

west derby - liverpool  :wave

so there's goodison that would make a good target

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2023, 09:23:15 pm »

Yes. You could say it was very British  ;)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2023, 10:07:56 pm »
Yes. You could say it was very British  ;)

Terribly sorry to interrupt but we’re all in grave danger.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2023, 10:09:36 pm »
I was out shopping and didn't see or hear anything. Is it a notification that would sit on the phone until cleared?

Yeah, there was a message that came up when the alarm sounded that you had to click on OK to clear. I forgot about it on my work phone until I checked my emails this evening and it was sitting there when I woke my phone up.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2023, 11:12:26 pm »
Mine was loud, jumped out of my skin when my personal phone went off at 2.59pm then again 3mins later when my work phone went off. The wife’s phone was last to go off a couple of mins after that and I explained to her that the government was messaging people in a priority order so clearly they valued her life less than mine.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A