Author Topic: Scottish politics [brought to you in association with Walkers shortbread]  (Read 28395 times)

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Sturgeon to resign ….
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2023, 02:19:40 pm »
Where did the bill step on reserved matters?

The GRC purpose is no affected, The Tories even proposed similar reforms under May 5 years ago.  The current Tory government wont even say what they think it will effect because they know it doesn't its just another dunk on Trans people to distract others from the corrupt in there government.

They also currently accept GRC from nations with self-id for getting a GRC.... :butt

Apologies for not responding to this: here is the UKG's legal view. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/statement-of-reasons-related-to-the-use-of-section-35-of-the-scotland-act-1998/html-version

My personal view is that these are clearly respectable legal arguments (such that it is not legally improper to make them), but not the better view. In my opinion as the bill has no impact on the effect of a GRC, but merely the process by which they are obtained, the EA impacts are nugatory, and after applying the "purpose" test the matters falls within Scottish competence. I suppose we will see what the Courts think. I'd put it 60:40 in Scotland's favour.
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2023, 02:34:13 pm »
Apologies for not responding to this: here is the UKG's legal view. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/statement-of-reasons-related-to-the-use-of-section-35-of-the-scotland-act-1998/html-version

My personal view is that these are clearly respectable legal arguments (such that it is not legally improper to make them), but not the better view. In my opinion as the bill has no impact on the effect of a GRC, but merely the process by which they are obtained, the EA impacts are nugatory, and after applying the "purpose" test the matters falls within Scottish competence. I suppose we will see what the Courts think. I'd put it 60:40 in Scotland's favour.

It served the Tory government to S35 it, as it showed them 'standing up to the woke militants' enough to trigger their 'base'

It served the SNP so they could scream "English Tories telling us how to run our country again! We'll not be rid of English domineering until we're independent!"

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2023, 02:43:48 pm »

I have read it, and its just an attack on trans people, they are objecting to the process which has no impact on what a GRC does.  Being trans has been declassified as a medical condition by all leading health organisations so why are we still medically gate keeping trans people?

Imagine if a gay person had to go in front a panel to see if they were gay enough to be allowed to marry?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 03:02:47 pm by ChrisLFCKOP »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2023, 02:54:10 pm »
I have read it, and its just an attack on trans people, they are objecting to the process which has no impact on what a GRC does.  Being trans has been declassified as a medical condition by all leading health organisations so why are we still medically gate keeping trans people?

Imagine if a gay person had to go in front a panel to see if they were gay enough to be allowed to marry?

A gay person marrying isn't in any way comparable. False equivalence 'arguments' are unhelpful.

What legal recognition of self-identification does is say to women "We don't give a fuck if you feel threatened by the presence of a biological man in your safe or private spaces."

That's before even talking about the potential for abuse of such a system by men who aren't genuine sufferers of gender dysphoria.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2023, 03:01:27 pm »
A gay person marrying isn't in any way comparable. False equivalence 'arguments' are unhelpful.

Actually is if you knew what a GRC does.
Should probably added Gay marriage at the end or civil partnership.

What legal recognition of self-identification does is say to women "We don't give a fuck if you feel threatened by the presence of a biological man in your safe or private spaces."

Not covered under the GRA,

That's before even talking about the potential for abuse of such a system by men who aren't genuine sufferers of gender dysphoria.

Why it is a legal declaration and punishable if not found to be lying.

Why would a man get a GRC if they are not a trans women?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 03:13:18 pm by ChrisLFCKOP »

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2023, 03:14:56 pm »

It is a legal matter, and the merits of the bill are not a significant part of the analysis. The proper question is whether it alters the operation of the Equality Act. My view is probably not, but its arguable (well not the PSED point - I think that is complete tosh).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 03:18:01 pm by CowboyKangaroo »

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2023, 03:19:09 pm »
It is a legal matter, and the merits of the bill are not a significant part of the analysis. The proper question is whether it alters the operation of the Equality Act. My view is probably not, but its arguable.

This is why I believe it just attack on trans people.  The outcome (GRC) does not change, if there was clashes with EA then there are issue now under the GRA (2004) and secondly they accept GRC certificates from countries with self ID now, why do they accept these if it alters the operation of the equalities act?

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2023, 03:26:35 pm »
This is why I believe it just attack on trans people.  The outcome (GRC) does not change, if there was clashes with EA then there are issue now under the GRA (2004) and secondly they accept GRC certificates from countries with self ID now, why do they accept these if it alters the operation of the equalities act?

I can't agree with the former point. The GRA was UK wide bill so questions of competence don't arise and indeed the EA was drafted with it in mind. On the latter, which has substantial merit, the proposition is that it is a matter of fact and degree (essentially how many people are now within scope of the various EA provisions). How strong that proposition is remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 03:28:10 pm by CowboyKangaroo »

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2023, 03:35:53 pm »
It is a legal matter, and the merits of the bill are not a significant part of the analysis. The proper question is whether it alters the operation of the Equality Act. My view is probably not, but its arguable (well not the PSED point - I think that is complete tosh).

The Haldane ruling found that "in this context, which is the meaning of sex for the purposes of the 2010 Act, ‘sex’ is not limited to biological or birth sex, but includes those in possession of a GRC obtained in accordance with the 2004 Act stating their acquired gender, and thus their sex.” The problem then is that the GRR Bill removes most safeguards while opening up the process to many more people. The case of Isla Bryson shows what the issues with this is. It's worth noting that Patrick Harvie knew that amendments were needed if the Scottish Government wanted to avoid the UK government from intervening. A major issue what the different criteria for gaining a GRC in Scotland versus the rest of the UK. All a bit of a mess really.

Still, apparently that's not the main reason for Sturgeon's resignation.

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2023, 03:45:51 pm »
The Haldane ruling found that "in this context, which is the meaning of sex for the purposes of the 2010 Act, ‘sex’ is not limited to biological or birth sex, but includes those in possession of a GRC obtained in accordance with the 2004 Act stating their acquired gender, and thus their sex.” The problem then is that the GRR Bill removes most safeguards while opening up the process to many more people. The case of Isla Bryson shows what the issues with this is. It's worth noting that Patrick Harvie knew that amendments were needed if the Scottish Government wanted to avoid the UK government from intervening. A major issue what the different criteria for gaining a GRC in Scotland versus the rest of the UK. All a bit of a mess really.

Still, apparently that's not the main reason for Sturgeon's resignation.

On the bold; indeed - that is the key point put forward by the LO's. On the italics; that is a point I have made earlier - it could have easily been drafted in a way which did not fall in this grey area. (And of course he knew: LSAG and the AG will have been discussing this for months, along with Parliamentary Counsel and the GLD!)

This is going to be very contentious legally.

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2023, 03:47:52 pm »
The Haldane ruling found that "in this context, which is the meaning of sex for the purposes of the 2010 Act, ‘sex’ is not limited to biological or birth sex, but includes those in possession of a GRC obtained in accordance with the 2004 Act stating their acquired gender, and thus their sex.” The problem then is that the GRR Bill removes most safeguards while opening up the process to many more people.

Why is this an issue? the process it horrible atm and therefore many don't bother getting one as it has no impact on their day to day life.

The case of Isla Bryson shows what the issues with this is.

They can be rightly declined a womens prison space with or without GRC

It's worth noting that Patrick Harvie knew that amendments were needed if the Scottish Government wanted to avoid the UK government from intervening. A major issue what the different criteria for gaining a GRC in Scotland versus the rest of the UK. All a bit of a mess really.

How so? Currently they accept trans people with a GRC from a self ID system from a different country.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2023, 04:22:33 pm »
On the bold; indeed - that is the key point put forward by the LO's. On the italics; that is a point I have made earlier - it could have easily been drafted in a way which did not fall in this grey area. (And of course he knew: LSAG and the AG will have been discussing this for months, along with Parliamentary Counsel and the GLD!)

This is going to be very contentious legally.

It's proving to be quite the issue. The way forward would be to push forward with reforms that simplify the GRC process while reinforcing protections for women, for example by changing the wording of the Equality Act so that sex refers to biological sex only and not legal sex. The problem is that people insist that there are no conflicting rights, when they clearly are. Until this is acknowledged I don't see how all the issues can be resolved.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2023, 04:34:25 pm »
Why is this an issue? the process it horrible atm and therefore many don't bother getting one as it has no impact on their day to day life.

They can be rightly declined a womens prison space with or without GRC

How so? Currently they accept trans people with a GRC from a self ID system from a different country.

It's a problem because it means predatory men like Isla Bryson, Katie Dolatowsky or Karen White will take advantage of laws/policies that are open to abuse. No problem with the process being made easier as long as women's rights are fully protected. This includes the rights to safety (including feeling safe), privacy and dignity, something that mixed-sex spaces threaten. The GRR bill applies to Scotland only, which means we end up with a dual system. The UK government covered it all here.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2023, 04:59:02 pm »
The problem is that people insist that there are no conflicting rights, when they clearly are. Until this is acknowledged I don't see how all the issues can be resolved.

I've never seen it put so succinctly before. Nice one.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2023, 05:05:41 pm »
Find it slightly funny that Conservatives are now worried about prisoner welfare and their rights  :D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2023, 05:10:39 pm »
Find it slightly funny that Conservatives are now worried about prisoner welfare and their rights  :D

Only when it suits them.  You'll see all these mysogynists come out to defend womens rights.  ;)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2023, 05:12:08 pm »
It's proving to be quite the issue. The way forward would be to push forward with reforms that simplify the GRC process while reinforcing protections for women, for example by changing the wording of the Equality Act so that sex refers to biological sex only and not legal sex. The problem is that people insist that there are no conflicting rights, when they clearly are. Until this is acknowledged I don't see how all the issues can be resolved.

Of course there are, but nobody seems to want to acknowledge and have a proper discussion about it.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2023, 05:13:42 pm »
The Equalities and Human Rights Commission takes the view that any GRA reform will not impact the exceptions in the Equality Act for single sex spaces.

Under the Equality Act people are protected from sex discrimination on the basis of their legal sex. This means that a trans woman who does not hold a Gender Recognition Certificate is legally male and is treated as a man for the purposes of the sex discrimination provisions, and a trans woman with a Gender Recognition Certificate is treated as a woman. The sex discrimination exceptions in the Equality Act therefore apply differently to trans people with and without Gender Recognition Certificates.

In most circumstances it would be inappropriate to ask a person to prove their legal sex by producing a birth certificate or Gender Recognition Certificate, and in some circumstances this could be unlawful.

Exceptions in the Act set out circumstances in which it is permissible to treat someone less favourably because of their sex or gender reassignment, for reasons of public policy or to protect the rights of others. The sex exceptions operate on the basis of legal sex. The gender reassignment exceptions are not determined by whether or not an individual has a Gender Recognition Certificate (the one exception to this relates to the solemnisation of marriage through religious ceremony – Equality Act 2010, Schedule 3, paragraph 24). The use of such exceptions generally needs to be justified as being a proportionate way to achieve a legitimate objective.

Because the operation of the Equality Act gender reassignment exceptions does not rely on possession, or not, of a Gender Recognition Certificate, any reform of the Gender Recognition Act will not erode the special status of services provided separately for men and women, or for men or women only, as defined by the Equality Act 2010, such as domestic abuse refuges, health services and clubs. We have issued clear, practical guidance for providers of separate and single-sex services to help them fully understand how to meet the needs of all women and men.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/our-work/news/protecting-people-sex-and-gender-reassignment-discrimination

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2023, 05:18:32 pm »
Of course there are, but nobody seems to want to acknowledge and have a proper discussion about it.

People have. And they've suffered.

Joanne Rowling, Rosie Duffield, etc.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2023, 06:59:46 pm »
Hopefully the SNP are stupid enough to select Kate Forbes as leader. I actually quite like her personally but politically she'd be eaten alive.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2023, 07:05:18 pm »
Hopefully the SNP are stupid enough to select Kate Forbes as leader. I actually quite like her personally but politically she'd be eaten alive.

She's really getting pushed by the likes of the Telegraph, which tells you all you need to know.

I don't think she would win, plus she's literally just had a baby, so not sure if shw even wants it.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2023, 08:08:00 pm »
Interesting numbers

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2023, 08:09:02 pm »
This is the first poll where fieldwork was done after the resignation.

Savanta UK
@Savanta_UK
🚨NEW #indyref2 voting intention for @TheScotsman

First IndyRef2 VI since Sturgeon resigned

✅ Yes 44% (=)
❎ No 46% (=)
❓ Undec. 9% (=)

w/o Undec.
✅ Yes 49% (=)
❎ No 51% (=)

1,004 Scottish adults, 15-17 Feb

(change from 16-21 Dec)

Savanta UK
@Savanta_UK
🚨NEW Scottish Westminster VI for @TheScotsman

First Scottish VI since Sturgeon resigned

🎗️SNP 43% (-1)
🌹LAB 30% (+2)
🌳CON 17% (-1)
🔶LD 8% (=)
⬜️Other 2% (-1)

(change from 16-21 Dec)

Savanta UK
@Savanta_UK
🚨NEW Holyrood constituency VI for @TheScotsman

First Scottish VI since Sturgeon resigned

🎗️SNP 42% (-1)
🌹LAB 32% (+2)
🌳CON 17% (-2)
🔶LD 6% (=)
⬜️Other 3% (+1)

(change from 16-21 Dec)

Obviously shouldn't really read too much into results from different pollsters but posssibly a post resignation bounce.... which would Sturgeon was the issue.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 08:11:56 pm by Elmo! »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2023, 08:50:50 pm »
If Sturgeon had joined the Labour Party, we might have swerved a decade of Tory rule……
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2023, 09:44:27 pm »
If Sturgeon had joined the Labour Party, we might have swerved a decade of Tory rule……

Labour don't elect women leaders, mate  ;)

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2023, 09:50:20 pm »
It's a bit "if my Auntie had bollocks". She was SNP through and through from a young age.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2023, 09:50:33 pm »

They should put their own house in order. As I posted above, there are more trans prisoners in England & Wales (per capita) than in Scotland. They obviously have not come up with a solution.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2023, 09:52:16 pm »

You want a “centrist” to lead the SNP? For what purpose? Don’t bother answering, I’m too old to wrestle with pigs. Cheerio.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2023, 02:47:34 pm »
Sturgeon always seemed like a determined decent politician who stuck to her principles and elevated to high office on the back of it.

But what a hill to die on, getting embroiled in the Trans debate and supporting self determination at 16. That is a sad legacy to be remembered for.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2023, 01:17:12 am »
It’s not about that.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2023, 10:58:53 am »
Angus Robertson isn't standing (has 2 very young children).

Very uninspiring choice so far between Kate Forbes, Ash Regan (quit minister role over GRR and very much an indy hardliner saying a majority of seats won in election is mandate for independence not just a referendum) and Humza Yousaf (widely seen as incompetent).

Going to be some grim times for the party. Think it's going to be their equivalent of the Labour Corbyn years. Whoever wins if going to see splits in the party.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2023, 11:34:18 am »
Aside from the fact the Tories have not actually been booted out yet, I don't think that is what has happened here though. It's been clear for ages Labour are almost certain to win the next election, and yet it was only a few weeks ago we had polls showing the SNP would get over 50% if they ran the next election as a de facto referendum.

It seems like support has crashed over the space of a few weeks, and I'veno doubt a lot of it is down to GRR, but also various other issues (NHS performance, party financing, ferries etc).

That's true. But sometimes all it takes is a few incidents to tip a lot of waverers. The decline in support for Catalan nationalism was not over night either, but more of a gradual accumulation of issues, which coincided with the change in central government.

One thing that the SNP has done uniquely well is managing to continue rallying the vast bulk of the Scottish nationalist movement under one party banner. That is a rarity, although I imagine in party helped by the FPTP system in Westminster election.

As you say, it will be interesting how the SNP splits play out.

It's a bit "if my Auntie had bollocks". She was SNP through and through from a young age.

Might not be the best turn of phrase in this particular discussion  :D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2023, 12:19:17 pm »
Kate Forbes has announced she's standing.

It gets better for the Labour up there. She's well to the right of the positioning that the SNP has held for the past couple of decades, both economically and socially. She's a Christianist who publicly opposes the GRR and has made anti-abortion mutterings.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2023, 12:23:13 pm »
Kate Forbes has announced she's standing.

It gets better for the Labour up there. She's well to the right of the positioning that the SNP has held for the past couple of decades, both economically and socially. She's a Christianist who publicly opposes the GRR and has made anti-abortion mutterings.

she's what's known as a Wee Free, a member of the Free Church of Scotland. In fairness to her, she has generally managed to keep her personal beliefs on abortion etc out of politics, though conveniently was on maternity leave for the GRR vote (she could have voted remotely if she wanted to).

I'd vote for Labour over a Forbes led SNP as things stand.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2023, 01:22:47 pm »
I think Yousaf will probably win.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2023, 08:25:46 pm »
Oh dear. What a pity.

Alexander Brown
@AlexofBrown
Senior member of Kate Forbes campaign says "she has fucked it" after the finance secretary said she would have voted against gay marriage

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2023, 08:28:41 pm »
Oh dear. What a pity.

Alexander Brown
@AlexofBrown
Senior member of Kate Forbes campaign says "she has fucked it" after the finance secretary said she would have voted against gay marriage

Always a risk with a Bible Basher.

Shame for Labour that.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2023, 08:46:29 pm »
Why does anybody even select Evangelical Christians to be part of their party? In a way it would have been good for Labour if she won.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2023, 08:53:11 pm »
Why does anybody even select Evangelical Christians to be part of their party? In a way it would have been good for Labour if she won.

That's why I said it was a shame.  Maybe she still can.........?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2023, 08:55:59 pm »
That's why I said it was a shame.  Maybe she still can.........?

I'm wrong about things all the time... but I think she has just handed the leadership to Yousaf.