Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD 2023 - archived discussions about what’s offensive  (Read 1071010 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD 2023
« Reply #360 on: January 1, 2023, 11:57:56 pm »
I agree, but the good news is that they will be backup players behind Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson, and will also share the playing time with Elliott, Milner, Jones, Carvalho and Bajcetic. It is not an ideal situation, but it is certainly not as bad as some people are suggesting ...

Have you watched any of our games this season? How would you say the midfield has performed?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: January 1, 2023, 11:58:19 pm »
By the way, here is an interesting statement by Jurgen:

On what position Gakpo will play, Klopp said, “He has played mostly from the left, but in a 4-2-3-1 formation he can play in all four positions.”

https://www.football-oranje.com/klopp-delighted-with-gakpo-arrival/

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #362 on: January 2, 2023, 12:00:12 am »
He should show these quotes to himself four months ago

We desperately need a sporting director with the task of building the next team and the power required to say no to Klopp when merited

On a tactical level we only had 40 million to spend, spending it on Cody Gakpo was quite the decision … let’s hope that isn’t the case

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #363 on: January 2, 2023, 12:00:26 am »
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #364 on: January 2, 2023, 12:02:09 am »
I fucking adore Klopp. His worst trait for me though is the lying to and the treating fans as idiots. I get there is a goal to it to a point but it takes the piss sometimes.

But what should he say?

"Boys, FSG are taking the piss and won't do a thing for this club that is going to make them billions of pounds, our midfield is fucked and none of them can run anymore, no one can coach this shite to be faster, we're going to get battered in the CL and maybe miss top 4, and I'm sick of it all and will soon retire to a beach somewhere and polish my teeth."

It's a total joke that we are settling, in yet another window, for having no midfield. It's actually ridiculous. The planning has been dreadful, but that doesn't matter now. Get Jurgen what he needs: he's won the club enough trophies and raised the value through the roof. Fucking buy a midfielder from your 3 billion impending profit.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: January 2, 2023, 12:02:40 am »
Have you watched any of our games this season? How would you say the midfield has performed?

Certainly not as good as I expected. The injuries to Keita, Ox, Jones and Arthur have increased the workload on Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson, and influenced their performances. Should be better in the second half of the season, with more rest and rotation ...

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #366 on: January 2, 2023, 12:03:12 am »
I agree, but the good news is that they will be backup players behind Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson, and will also share the playing time with Elliott, Milner, Jones, Carvalho and Bajcetic. It is not an ideal situation, but it is certainly not as bad as some people are suggesting ...

For once I agree with Mac. We have a manageable workload for January and the rare opportunity to play a game every seven days. You never want to lose a game, but going out of the League Cup does help with the load on the squad.

So much hysteria. Klopp is not a liar. He's focused on the here and now, and values squad morale highly.

Our attack is quite close to be frightening. We usually look like scoring more than one goal.
We need to get our starts right, and in fairness we got the first half start right against Villa.

Klopp hinted that we would do something if the right situation arose (listen to the end of his interview). He is not an idiot. Why not trust the man that has won number 19 and got the club to three cl finals, winning one.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Thiago12291

• Thinks we’re a fucking mess and it’s down to Jurgen
  • Main Stander
« Reply #367 on: January 2, 2023, 12:05:08 am »
Has Gakpo trained with us since his transfer was announced? Or only as of today?

Offline Thiago12291

• Main Stander
« Reply #368 on: January 2, 2023, 12:05:39 am »
Certainly not as good as I expected. The injuries to Keita, Ox, Jones and Arthur have increased the workload on Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson, and influenced their performances. Should be better in the second half of the season, with more rest and rotation ...

Even the shape hasn't looked right

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: January 2, 2023, 12:05:41 am »
For once I agree with Mac. We have a manageable workload for January and the rare opportunity to play a game every seven days. You never want to lose a game, but going out of the League Cup does help with the load on the squad.

So much hysteria. Klopp is not a liar. He's focused on the here and now, and values squad morale highly.

Our attack is quite close to be frightening. We usually look like scoring more than one goal.
We need to get our starts right, and in fairness we got the first half start right against Villa.

Klopp hinted that we would do something if the right situation arose (listen to the end of his interview). He is not an idiot. Why not trust the man that has won number 19 and got the club to three cl finals, winning one.

Our attack has always been frightening, it’s the midfield that is substandard.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: January 2, 2023, 12:08:43 am »
Has Gakpo trained with us since his transfer was announced? Or only as of today?

Klopp said he’s unable to train until his work permit goes through.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #371 on: January 2, 2023, 12:09:25 am »
Imagine the carnage in this thread in about 20 hours time if we've lost at Brentford with a poor midfield performance. Half want to see it to be honest  ;D

Nah, but seriously, sign a fucking midfielder ASAP
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Thiago12291

• Main Stander
« Reply #372 on: January 2, 2023, 12:09:39 am »

Ah missed that. Doubt he'll even be on the bench tomorrow (unless klopp has said otherwise and I missed it)

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: January 2, 2023, 12:09:55 am »
I want to laugh but whatever. The majority of this group of midfielders have been with Klopp for years now. The thinking that he would casually get rid of any of them when basically every piece of evidence is he wants them around longer is just all of our faults. It's Ride or Die baby.

Edit: Also the thinking that because Keita and Ox are moving on with Milner means we need more than just one midfielder is a bit misplaced I think. He's already added Elliott and now Bajcetic to the group. It's only really Milner that is being replaced.

I mean, this is just nonsense thinking. Which part of our midfield works? Thiago, given some support. Elliot is woefully inadequate in CM, you can surely see that every game? Bajcetic is a kid, no way should he be a major part of our plans this season. Henderson needs regular rotation. Fab, well - we hope he gets back to his best but even then, he needs pace around him. We have almost nothing, despite having lots of bodies. Every team we come up against fancies it against our midfield. Go back to our peak, and not one team felt that way. We could dominate any team in pressing situations. Now we can barely get near them.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #374 on: January 2, 2023, 12:10:17 am »

It's been absolutely unequivocally shite.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: January 2, 2023, 12:10:18 am »
Elliott just isn't a midfielder, at least not one that would work in our 3 man system with attacking FBs. He could be useful in a position which allows him to focus on the attacking end a little more without so much defensive responsibility. Thing is though, is he good enough for that treatment? I doubt it to be honest.

I don't know about Klopps comments or what we might do but I do know that (somehow) we still have a chance at top 4. However, the warning signs and deficiencies couldn't be clearer and, unless we are going to completely change our midfield set up (we haven't up until now) and throw more bodies at it, we are going to miss out on the top 4 without question. Villa and Leicester were both lucky results IMO and better teams (or anyone away from home) are going to just waltz through us at will and run up the score.

Obviously there is a budget and FSG don't spend but it really seems negligent in this instance. We don't want miracles but i can't understand how certain teams are spending more than us?

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #376 on: January 2, 2023, 12:10:43 am »

:lmao :lmao :lmao

What's the punishment if he's found to have trained with us beforehand?
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Thiago12291

• Main Stander
« Reply #377 on: January 2, 2023, 12:11:13 am »
Imagine the carnage in this thread in about 20 hours time if we've lost at Brentford with a poor midfield performance. Half want to see it to be honest  ;D

Nah, but seriously, sign a fucking midfielder ASAP

It's a quite likely outcome for the game on both fronts

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: January 2, 2023, 12:12:19 am »
He should show these quotes to himself four months ago

We desperately need a sporting director with the task of building the next team and the power required to say no to Klopp when merited

On a tactical level we only had 40 million to spend, spending it on Cody Gakpo was quite the decision … let’s hope that isn’t the case

Yeah he literally said he was wrong and we needed a midfielder in the summer, then we get Arthur on loan who has been injured and we've just decided to buy (another) wide left forward.

I'm hoping its some posturing for negotiations that we won't spend ridiculous amounts that are being asked for the targets

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: January 2, 2023, 12:12:44 am »
:lmao :lmao :lmao

What's the punishment if he's found to have trained with us beforehand?

Technically he's a PSV player till 12 noon.  :D

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: January 2, 2023, 12:14:08 am »
Technically he's a PSV player till 12 noon.  :D

Why do players from European countries need a work permit? Brexit?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: January 2, 2023, 12:14:34 am »
Why do players from European countries need a work permit? Brexit?

Yes.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: January 2, 2023, 12:14:55 am »

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: January 2, 2023, 12:16:01 am »
I just think you get another 6 to compete with Fabinho and go with that this season. We all saw what life without Fabinho looked like last night and it was minging. Fix the rest of it with turnover in the summer. I do feel however, that they will have a look at that performance in detail and if Henderson is to play there again they'll improve it through making sure he's more central, deep and static in that role. Bajcetic and Milner are the other options for 6. I think Bajcetic is going to be great in future so dropping him in helps his development but might be risky with each point being massive.

So for me it's a new 6 or nothing. I'd guess Caicedo and Amrabat are candidates for that and they'll probably be too costly.

I think Klopp is going to try and ride it out as he'll probably think he can bring Fabinho back in, he can improve it on the training field and he can make sure the club are well placed at a shot at Bellingham.
@paulair

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: January 2, 2023, 12:17:38 am »
excellent

Excellent indeed. We could be wasting our time here discussing something completely obsolete. Our next setup could easily be something like this:

Nunez
Jota

Diaz - Gakpo - Salah
Jones - Carvalho - Firmino - Elliott - AOC

Thiago - Fabinho
Arthur - Bajcetic - Henderson - Keita - Milner

Robertson - Van Dijk - Konate - TAA
Tsimikas - Matip - Phillips - Gomez - Ramsay

Alisson
Kelleher - Adrian

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: January 2, 2023, 12:23:19 am »
Yeah he literally said he was wrong and we needed a midfielder in the summer, then we get Arthur on loan who has been injured and we've just decided to buy (another) wide left forward.

I'm hoping its some posturing for negotiations that we won't spend ridiculous amounts that are being asked for the targets

I had actually forgot about this, so what’s changed apart from the emergency midfielder we tried to bring in being injured? Weird situation we find ourselves in.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: January 2, 2023, 12:23:59 am »
Our attack has always been frightening, it’s the midfield that is substandard.

Yet, less than 12 months ago, we were shit scared about the succession plan for our attack, with Salah and Mane approaching the last year of their contracts. Only 12 months later, we have signed Diaz, Nunez and Gakpo, and Salah has signed a contract extension ...
« Last Edit: January 2, 2023, 12:37:39 am by PeterTheRed »

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: January 2, 2023, 12:24:37 am »
Yet, less than 12 months ago, we were shit scared about the succession plan for our attack, with Salah and Mane approaching the last year of their contrscts. Only 12 months later, we have signed Diaz, Nunez and Gakpo, and Salah has signed a contract extension ...

Ok so what’s your point?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: January 2, 2023, 12:24:57 am »
Fucking hell. 10 pages and it's carnage.

If people don't behave nicely then the mods will take this service away. And I for one won't lose an ounce of sleep over it.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: January 2, 2023, 12:26:20 am »

If people don't behave nicely then the mods will take this service away. And I for one won't lose an ounce of sleep over it.

Why not just avoid the thread?

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: January 2, 2023, 12:26:23 am »

Wasn't that due to a lack of availability rather than quality in Klopp's eyes?

Offline Thiago12291

• Main Stander
« Reply #391 on: January 2, 2023, 12:28:19 am »

It's a January Transfer thread at half past midnight on a football forum. What the fuck were you expecting  ;D

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: January 2, 2023, 12:28:44 am »
Wasn't that due to a lack of availability rather than quality in Klopp's eyes?

If that’s the case the 3 months after that should show it’s a bit of both, few of us predicted us to be in a top 4 race after last season but many others could see the signs which has been proven right.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: January 2, 2023, 12:32:36 am »
Toddlers, Toys and Prams - bunch of spoilt little babas wailing because we aren’t spending hundreds of millions. We get Gakpo but it’s not enough, you just want more and more.

Newcastle, Man City or PSG just take your pick if you want the shiniest most expensive toys to play with where cost doesn’t really matter.

Edit - in the summer we will likely see Keita, Ox, Milner and possibly Bobby go and that will free up wages for the midfield refresh we need.

Offline Thiago12291

• Main Stander
« Reply #394 on: January 2, 2023, 12:35:50 am »
Toddlers, Toys and Prams - bunch of spoilt little babas wailing because we aren’t spending hundreds of millions. We get Gakpo but it’s not enough, you just want more and more.

Newcastle, Man City or PSG just take your pick if you want the shiniest most expensive toys to play with where cost doesn’t really matter.

Edit - in the summer we will likely see Keita, Ox, Milner and possibly Bobby go and that will free up wages for the midfield refresh we need.

Jesus christ

Manager apologises for getting it wrong on the not buying a midfielder front in August.

We loan one that has featured for twenty mins and is injured. We are getting overrun in midfield every single game and now the manager is telling us we may not rectify the midfield issue at the next available opportunity.

Yeah everyone is so spoiled for wanting one
« Last Edit: January 2, 2023, 12:38:12 am by Thiago12291 »

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: January 2, 2023, 12:35:52 am »

Sorry but you’re talking shite, most of us would rather a midfielder than Gakpo, and even so 40m each on a forward and midfielder sounds pretty reasonable for a top 6 club.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: January 2, 2023, 12:36:46 am »
Excellent indeed. We could be wasting our time here discussing something completely obsolete. Our next setup could easily be something like this:

Nunez
Jota

Diaz - Gakpo - Salah
Jones - Carvalho - Firmino - Elliott - AOC

Thiago - Fabinho
Arthur - Bajcetic - Henderson - Keita - Milner

Tsimikas - Matip - Phillips - Gomez - Ramsay

Alisson
Kelleher - Adrian

And something like this after the summer:

Nunez
Jota

Diaz - Gakpo - Salah
Jones - Carvalho - Firmino - Elliott - Doak

Bellingham - Fabinho
Thiago - Bajcetic - Henderson - Morton

Tsimikas - Matip - Van den Berg - Gomez - Ramsay

Alisson
Kelleher - New 3rd GK

I could live with that ...

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: January 2, 2023, 12:42:38 am »

🤣🤣

I'd like another 6 to shore up that bowling alley we put on for Liecester but if Klopp can solve that with the current squad then fair enough. I think we were all expecting a new midfielder and the world cup and January was going to be our saviour. The idea that theyve gone and spent up on a left wide forward was surprising and exciting but a bit mind boggling after most agreed that midfield is the problem area. It seemed to be the problem area again last time out. Klopp and Co. know better than us but I don't think anybody saw this would be the outcome. Let's see how the next few weeks pan out. A month is a long time in football.
@paulair

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: January 2, 2023, 12:42:49 am »
If we want a cheap body to freshen us up until the summer I'd go for Sander Berge (who we know Jurgen likes). I'm sure we could sweeten the deal by throwing in someone on loan.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: January 2, 2023, 12:42:56 am »
I mean, this is just nonsense thinking. Which part of our midfield works? Thiago, given some support. Elliot is woefully inadequate in CM, you can surely see that every game? Bajcetic is a kid, no way should he be a major part of our plans this season. Henderson needs regular rotation. Fab, well - we hope he gets back to his best but even then, he needs pace around him. We have almost nothing, despite having lots of bodies. Every team we come up against fancies it against our midfield. Go back to our peak, and not one team felt that way. We could dominate any team in pressing situations. Now we can barely get near them.

Well look at Barca giving opportunities to Pedri and Gavi.

I say give him a run of games and see what he can do with people like Thiago and Fab next to him.