Author Topic: Retro games  (Read 7306 times)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: Retro games
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2023, 03:07:07 pm »
Nintendo and Sega for me.  I was always a Sega fan, in my youth.  But since they pulled out of the console market to focus on games, there was only one place to go.

I've always been a PC gamer too, so the Xbox was a logical choice for me also.

Pleased to say I've never owned a Sony console.

I had the mega drive[genesis in some countries], mostly because my mates had one, didn't have another console until the xbox 360, now PS4, fucked off microsoft for PS4 because of those restrictions they were trying to impose on the xbox one, even though microsoft backtracked the damage was done in my view, still too pissed off with them when i brought the PS4.

As a rule, i never buy consoles at launch wait a few years let them iron out any issues, such as RROD or YLOD issues.

#Sausages

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2023, 04:10:37 pm »
Nintendo and Sega for me.  I was always a Sega fan, in my youth.  But since they pulled out of the console market to focus on games, there was only one place to go.

I've always been a PC gamer too, so the Xbox was a logical choice for me also.

Pleased to say I've never owned a Sony console.

Sony are a solid second behind Nintendo for me.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2023, 12:45:54 pm »
I have generally tended to be more of a pc gamer, having had one since the 486 era, but over the years have had a megadrive, dreamcast, snes (bought when it was already retro machine),  n64, gc, xbox and xbox360, along with both sony handhelds, a neogeo pocket color and every Nintendo handheld outside of a gb micro or a new 3ds.

I have no particular dislike of sony consoles outside of finding some of their earlier controllers quite uncomfortable, but have somehow never owned any playstations, flatmates at the time had ps2/ps3 and pc has been more than enough during ps4/ps5 eras.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2023, 01:09:32 pm »
I've still got my megadrive, N64, GB Micro, GB Advance and Gamecube.

Thankfully, due to GOG, Epic and Steam, my 100s of PC games are now digital  :)

I remember the endless discussions I had with my mates about which was best, megadrive or SNES  ;D.  The Megadrive generally had better sound, and SF2 Hyper Fighting was the same speed as the arcade (really fast), compared to the snail-paced version on the SNES.

MK2 on the 32X, was superb too.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2023, 09:35:24 am »
Sony are a solid second behind Nintendo for me.

They're first for me - the original PlayStation changed everything and even now the PS5 is doing great

Nintendo's downside is you invariably have a couple classics per generation (Mario, Zelda) and the third party stuff is weak. Seems to have improved this generation

But when I wanna play 16 Bit games on my retro handheld I play SNES games more than Megadrive

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2023, 12:27:08 pm »
Ran into Retro Gamer mag on Readily the other day and it gave me a massive sugar rush of nostalgia, so decided to download MAME. I have to say, it's been an absolute blast - also discovered quite a few classics I couldn't play as a kid given they weren't in the arcades near me.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2023, 06:19:07 pm »
Reading about Baldurs Gate 3 reminded me of how much I loved playing the Eye of the Beholder D&D based games on the Amiga back in the 90s. Got such a proustian rush I decided to try them out on my laptop, installing Steam for the first time. Got the graphics set up nicely, downloaded the old  manual and clue book then good stuck into the first game. My god what a load of pony it is now! Awful. There's some retro games that are still highly enjoyable but not in this case. Should've left it alone and not sullied my fond memories.
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2023, 10:44:42 am »
The huge problem is that when trying out your favourite games of yesteryear, it is very hard not to compare with modern games, which of course look spectacular (but often play like utter shite imho).

EOTB. back in the early 90s, was both visually eye popping and also an advanced game, with very few that could match its atmosphere. I must admit, I tried it a few years back and found it difficult to play again, it was of its time, but an utter classic nonetheless!

There are tonnes of games that age well, but seems there will always be those that lose their charm over time.

- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2023, 01:49:43 pm »
The huge problem is that when trying out your favourite games of yesteryear, it is very hard not to compare with modern games, which of course look spectacular (but often play like utter shite imho).

EOTB. back in the early 90s, was both visually eye popping and also an advanced game, with very few that could match its atmosphere. I must admit, I tried it a few years back and found it difficult to play again, it was of its time, but an utter classic nonetheless!

There are tonnes of games that age well, but seems there will always be those that lose their charm over time.

I recently played through FF7 and I'm now working my way through FF8, the big cutscene moments definitely don't hit as hard but they're such good games still. I really enjoyed FF16 but 7 was on another level, feels like a much more cohesive experience rather than box-ticking.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2023, 02:21:56 pm »
FF8 was my first FF game, that intro and game cutscenes, were all epic at the time, I think they still hold up pretty well all things considered. 7 and 8 definitely had a jaw dropping wow factor then, unlike the the FF7 remake now, which is quite good but nothing made me sit back and feel impressed at what I was seeing.

Guess age and that grumpy old bastard effect is creeping up on me now :)
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2023, 06:47:18 pm »

It was a classic. Blew me away at the time. Remember having to save pocket money for months to afford a half a mb (!) memory upgrade to run it then again to afford the game then again to get the cluebook as it was so bloody hard. Must've cost me a hundred quid back then! Felt like money very well spent at the time.

For sure lots of retro titles retain their amazing gameplay decades later depite visuals dating. Just not this one. 
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 1, 2023, 10:49:25 am »
It was a classic. Blew me away at the time. Remember having to save pocket money for months to afford a half a mb (!) memory upgrade to run it then again to afford the game then again to get the cluebook as it was so bloody hard. Must've cost me a hundred quid back then! Felt like money very well spent at the time.

For sure lots of retro titles retain their amazing gameplay decades later depite visuals dating. Just not this one.

They do!

I'm playing through all the C&C titles again, and they are just as good as I remember.  The gameplay is superb.