Author Topic: Quick question for any Electricians..  (Read 9814 times)

Offline MackemLad

• A village called Sunderland is missing its idiot - "Purple Macki"
  • Anny Roader
Quick question for any Electricians..
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:22:39 am »
If i train to be a General Technician (Electrical) in the R.A.F and therefore gain the following qualifications:

City & Guilds Level 3 Progression Award in Electrical Engineering
NVQ Level 3 in Engineering Maintenance
Award of Engineering Technician status

Will this mean i will be qualified as a civilian when leaving the R.A.F i will be able to become an electrician?

Any help appreciated, ta.
Sunderland 'till i die.

Pheeny

Re: Quick question for any Electricians..
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:27:28 am »
you do know that whilst in the RAF you are allowed to further your studies.In fact you are encouraged to do so

and yes you will be qualified.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:29:00 am »
Have you spoken to them yet?

It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:29:35 am »
Its the way the mrs cousin did it, but think he was in the navy, that or he just wears really tight tops

Pheeny

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 12:30:48 am »
seems to me all he wants to be is a spark.If thats the case why not check out the local colleges etc?

Being in the military is a special way of life which is not suited to everyone.

Pheeny

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 12:32:36 am »
he was in the navy, that or he just wears really tight tops
;D

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:33:16 am »
Have you spoken to them yet?

Yes did today filled in loads of forms and have my aptitude test next week.
Sunderland 'till i die.

Offline tezmac

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 12:34:10 am »
I have a c & g in electrical engineering have worked for 30 years in industry but allot depends what your experience is. Today many employers expect multi skills. But my advice is to learn a trade better than none and good luck
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 12:35:32 am »
seems to me all he wants to be is a spark.If thats the case why not check out the local colleges etc?

Being in the military is a special way of life which is not suited to everyone.

Aye true enough and it is desperation thats took me to the R.A.F because i have tried to find companies with which to complete my apprenticeship with but had no joy. Still going to keep trying but not hopeful.
Sunderland 'till i die.

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 12:36:07 am »
I have a c & g in electrical engineering have worked for 30 years in industry but allot depends what your experience is. Today many employers expect multi skills. But my advice is to learn a trade better than none and good luck

You worked as an electrician?
Sunderland 'till i die.

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 12:36:33 am »
you do know that whilst in the RAF you are allowed to further your studies.In fact you are encouraged to do so

and yes you will be qualified.

Definately will be qualified?
Sunderland 'till i die.

Pheeny

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 12:37:43 am »
have my aptitude test next week.
before I had mine I wanted to be a Fireman or a Snowdrop.After they more or less told me I was too clever and recommended me a GME which I took.Later to become a GTE after a further 9 months training.

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 12:39:00 am »
before I had mine I wanted to be a Fireman or a Snowdrop.After they more or less told me I was too clever and recommended me a GME which I took.Later to become a GTE after a further 9 months training.

I have a feeling im overqualified but at the end of the day if i train to become a Weapon Systems Operator or whatever its not going to be as much use to me when i leave.
Sunderland 'till i die.

Pheeny

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 12:39:21 am »
Definately will be qualified?
yes with

City & Guilds Level 3 Progression Award in Electrical Engineering
NVQ Level 3 in Engineering Maintenance
Award of Engineering Technician status

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 12:40:36 am »
Nice one mate, its just i though you needed a qualification in Electrical Installation to be a domestic electrician but thats good news!
Sunderland 'till i die.

Pheeny

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 12:40:38 am »
I have a feeling im overqualified but at the end of the day if i train to become a Weapon Systems Operator or whatever its not going to be as much use to me when i leave.
why not go for something to do with aircrafts?

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 12:43:43 am »
why not go for something to do with aircrafts?

Are you being sarcastic?

When i leave the RAF i am not going to be very well qualified if all my qualifications are based around aircrafts.
Sunderland 'till i die.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 12:46:30 am »
Yes did today filled in loads of forms and have my aptitude test next week.

Where do you do your aptitude tests for a GTE?
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Pheeny

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 12:47:14 am »
Nice one mate, its just i though you needed a qualification in Electrical Installation to be a domestic electrician but thats good news!
although GTE does deal with domestic electrics its not dealt with in depth.So if thats what you want to do in the future maybe you need a rethink or perhaps whilst you are serving take a course in the local technical college,which is as 9I said encouraged.

Pheeny

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 12:49:25 am »
Are you being sarcastic?

When i leave the RAF i am not going to be very well qualified if all my qualifications are based around aircrafts.
not been sarcastic, there are plenty of Airlines that are crying out for experienced Techs and the money is far better.

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 12:53:23 am »
Where do you do your aptitude tests for a GTE?

At the AFCO.
Sunderland 'till i die.

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 12:53:52 am »
not been sarcastic, there are plenty of Airlines that are crying out for experienced Techs and the money is far better.

Oh right well thats something to think of a long time from now i suppose.
Sunderland 'till i die.

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 01:06:22 am »
I think joining the RAF out of desperation would be a bad decision. It's a career and a way of life and signing up just to get a trade and then leave would be a mistake in my opinion but I'm sure thousands have done it and turned out ok.

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 01:11:27 am »
I think joining the RAF out of desperation would be a bad decision. It's a career and a way of life and signing up just to get a trade and then leave would be a mistake in my opinion but I'm sure thousands have done it and turned out ok.

Dont get me wrong im looking forward to seeing different places, people and living the forces life for at least 10 years - its not utter desperation.
Sunderland 'till i die.

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 01:13:15 am »
At the AFCO.

Ah ha, I thought you wouldhave gone down to Cranwell too. My error.

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 01:21:11 am »
Ah ha, I thought you wouldhave gone down to Cranwell too. My error.

Ok Partridge  ;)
Sunderland 'till i die.

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 01:27:30 am »
Dont get me wrong im looking forward to seeing different places, people and living the forces life for at least 10 years - its not utter desperation.

Fair enough, I don't know you so can only go off what you say, when you said it's desperation that took you to the RAF I had a feeling you just might be acting out of desperation...wild assumption I know!

How old are you mate if you don't mind me asking? If you're below 25 without financial constraints go through full time education. When I left school I wanted an apprenticeship but found they were hard to come by and unlike the rest of my family didn't want to go down the services route so I ended up gaining a degree in Electronic Engineering and have seen a fair bit of the world as a result of the job I got (and still have with the same company)

It seems like you have your mind set on being a spark (and there is a very good living to be made from it) but maybe once you get into full time education you'll notice more opportunities that you didn't realise were open to you previously.

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 01:31:33 am »
Fair enough, I don't know you so can only go off what you say, when you said it's desperation that took you to the RAF I had a feeling you just might be acting out of desperation...wild assumption I know!

How old are you mate if you don't mind me asking? If you're below 25 without financial constraints go through full time education. When I left school I wanted an apprenticeship but found they were hard to come by and unlike the rest of my family didn't want to go down the services route so I ended up gaining a degree in Electronic Engineering and have seen a fair bit of the world as a result of the job I got (and still have with the same company)

It seems like you have your mind set on being a spark (and there is a very good living to be made from it) but maybe once you get into full time education you'll notice more opportunities that you didn't realise were open to you previously.

I'm 20. Done GCSE's and A Levels. Been to Uni, not my cup of tea.

Sunderland 'till i die.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 02:32:07 am »
I'm 20. Done GCSE's and A Levels. Been to Uni, not my cup of tea.

Hope Iraq is  :-\ cause theres a good chance you could end up their  :P

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 03:14:46 am »
Hope Iraq is  :-\ cause theres a good chance you could end up their  :P

RAF ground crew don't need to worry about that, as long as they remember their sun tan oil :)

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 10:28:58 am »
perhaps whilst you are serving take a course in the local technical college,which is as 9I said encouraged.

I would defo recommend doing the new 17th edition regs course.  I'd also encourage the City & Guilds Inspection and Testing too (following completion of the 17th Edition course).
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 10:25:19 pm »
I would defo recommend doing the new 17th edition regs course.  I'd also encourage the City & Guilds Inspection and Testing too (following completion of the 17th Edition course).

Do you think i could do these courses whilst serving with the R.A.F?
Sunderland 'till i die.

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 10:37:32 pm »
Do you think i could do these courses whilst serving with the R.A.F?

Can't see why not mate.  If you've got a college somewhere near you, you may find they do evening classes if you can't attend during the day.  Or, take some leave and do the 17th edition full time (I'm guessing at 5 full days?).

Get in touch with your local college or learning centre and they'll be able to advise on timescales & costs.
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline MackemLad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 10:49:47 pm »
Can't see why not mate.  If you've got a college somewhere near you, you may find they do evening classes if you can't attend during the day.  Or, take some leave and do the 17th edition full time (I'm guessing at 5 full days?).

Get in touch with your local college or learning centre and they'll be able to advise on timescales & costs.

Got to get the job with the RAF first mate!

But i know my local college does these course and the costs are around 300 quid a year i think. I was considering doing them from September but didnt think there was much point if i couldnt find an employer to get experience with!
Sunderland 'till i die.

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #34 on: April 4, 2008, 09:00:28 am »
Sorry to hi-jack someone else's thread, but i'm looking to re-train as an electrician....

Just enquired about This course at Liverpool comm college.....anyone done this? and would you recommend it for someone with no previous experience?
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Online blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 4, 2008, 10:05:37 am »
If you join the RAF then as a Technician trade then I think you will be tied up for at least a year doing your Military training and also equipment specific training. During this time you wont get the time to be doing any extra curricular training courses. At least thats what it was like in Army training for technicians.

Then you will be posted to wherever THEY want you to go with no guarantee that you'll be anywhere near a training college - let alone them giving you time off to do a course.

Also, certainly for Army trades, there was a minimum signing on period (6 years for Techs) during which time you weren't allowed to PVR (buy yourself out). Again I dont know what its like in the RAF but I would presume its the same.

If you have no real interest in serving in the forces, then I advise you to seriously consider looking at something else. The complete change in lifestyle is something that you really have to want to do. Looking at it purely as a vehicle to get a trade is very risky unless you're totally committed.

Also, everyone will think you're a gay boy.   ;)

« Last Edit: April 4, 2008, 10:07:54 am by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 4, 2017, 09:20:16 pm »
Need some electrical help. 

I have a double electrical socket in an outbuilding thats attached to the house which is being demolished tomorrow and I need to change it to an outdoor, waterproof one.  Can I just remove what's there and rewire a waterproof one to the existing wiring?

The existing one was done professionally about 13yrs ago, is on the rear, external wall of the house with no cables as it's back to back with an internal kitchen socket??  Not sure if it's the last of a ring?  Or part of a spur??

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 8, 2019, 01:27:18 pm »
I'm changing some sockets in my utility room but the live wire on one of them is too short to reach the terminal in the socket itself (see pic).  What's the best way to lengthen the cable so that it reaches bearing in mind that I have little space back there and want to ensure that the connection is secure?
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #38 on: June 8, 2019, 01:29:09 pm »
Move the wall back abar 5 inches
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 8, 2019, 01:34:05 pm »
Move the wall back abar 5 inches
Ha! I tried that and it proved a bit tricky! :P
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez