Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1459863 times)

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #4120 on: December 26, 2018, 06:19:58 pm »
He's miles above Carra and Big Sammi who are rightly so club legends but they were never amongst the best CB's in the league never mind Europe or the world. Also remember Ged and Rafa didnt play on the front foot like we do under Klopp and Ged and Rafa also played a mid block and even a low block on occasions with proper old school defensive number 6's like Didi, Masch etc

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4121 on: December 26, 2018, 06:26:41 pm »
He's miles above Carra and Big Sammi who are rightly so club legends but they were never amongst the best CB's in the league never mind Europe or the world. Also remember Ged and Rafa didnt play on the front foot like we do under Klopp and Ged and Rafa also played a mid block and even a low block on occasions with proper old school defensive number 6's like Didi, Masch etc

Hyypia was THE best centre back in the league in the early 00s. Ferdinand still had too many errors in him in his Leeds/early Man Utd days, Terry started to peak in the mid 00s, Desailly was in the autumn of his career. Only really Sol Campbell for competition and apart from pace Sami was better at everything.

Agree he wasn’t as good as VvD is though.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4122 on: December 26, 2018, 06:50:47 pm »
I would have Jaap Stam, Sol Campbell and Desaily ahead of Sami in that period. I also think Henchoz was a superb underrated defender an excellent man marker but wasnt as dominant in the air or as comfortable on the ball as Sami. Dont forget Markus Babbel as well superb as full back but was actually a CB. That 2001 back four was in effect 4 CBs - Babbel, Henchoz, Sami, Carra with Didi patrolling and protecting in front and a young superstar in Gerrard playing box to box with Owen. Heskey, Fowler and Litmanen up top as options. Some squad that.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4123 on: December 26, 2018, 06:53:09 pm »

Eh?

Hyypia absolutely was.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4124 on: December 26, 2018, 06:54:48 pm »
The envy of mankind.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4125 on: December 26, 2018, 07:20:04 pm »
Our Hypia and Carra pairing is the strongest I’ve seen a defence in my lifetime. The likes of Hansen and further before that, Big Ron Yeats were all a bit before my time..... but at his best, Van Dijk’s got a good shout of being arguably Liverpool’s greatest centre back if he maintains this in his Liverpool career?

I have seen them all since the 60's, Van Dyke has done wonders for us. Imagine Sami and him together..

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #4126 on: December 26, 2018, 07:35:21 pm »
Apart from Gerrard, he's the best player we've had since we last won the title.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4127 on: December 26, 2018, 07:35:25 pm »
The best centre back pairing I’ve seen at Liverpool is Hansen-Lawrenson, and the best centre backs individually have been Hansen and Lawrenson. I wonder now, though, whether Van Dijk may surpass them. Like both these great players from the past he seems to be able to purr through a game with a reserve engine, just in case. When he uses it it’s soul-destroying for the opposition and it’s almost as if, having been on the end of it once, they don’t want to provoke him a second time.

But what’s really exciting is that, in Matip and Lovren, VVD has two highly competent partners, and in Gomez a third who could even reach his own exalted level.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #4128 on: December 26, 2018, 07:38:19 pm »
I have seen them all since the 60's, Van Dyke has done wonders for us. Imagine Sami and him together..

Lovely post mate. Mouth-watering. Sami... what an under-rated legend he was.

Lets look forward too though eh? We have a young pairing in Virgil & Joe who (when fit) look very much like they'll prob be the best CB partnership I've ever seen.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #4129 on: December 26, 2018, 07:44:34 pm »
Lovely post mate. Mouth-watering. Sami... what an under-rated legend he was.

Lets look forward too though eh? We have a young pairing in Virgil & Joe who (when fit) look very much like they'll prob be the best CB partnership I've ever seen.

Oh... ok I CAN reply to my own posts? Cool  8)

Just wanted to add our Colossus makes all his CB partners into much better players. FACT. That's how good he is.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #4130 on: December 26, 2018, 08:10:55 pm »
The New Colossus! ;)
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4131 on: December 26, 2018, 08:19:08 pm »
The best centre back pairing I’ve seen at Liverpool is Hansen-Lawrenson, and the best centre backs individually have been Hansen and Lawrenson. I wonder now, though, whether Van Dijk may surpass them. Like both these great players from the past he seems to be able to purr through a game with a reserve engine, just in case. When he uses it it’s soul-destroying for the opposition and it’s almost as if, having been on the end of it once, they don’t want to provoke him a second time.

But what’s really exciting is that, in Matip and Lovren, VVD has two highly competent partners, and in Gomez a third who could even reach his own exalted level.
Agree. Hansen and Lawrenson were brilliant. However I remember in the mid 80’s there were question marks about their aerial strength Gray and Sharp were giving them fits. Van Dijk in my opinion shaded them both. Van Dijk has everything that you want in a central defender - speed, strength, aerial dominance, anticipation, intelligence and leadership. Our best central defender ever without a shred of doubt
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #4132 on: December 26, 2018, 08:24:45 pm »
I have absolutely no doubt that history will one day show that Virgil Van Dyke will be Liverpool's best ever centre back.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4133 on: December 26, 2018, 08:47:23 pm »
Agree. Hansen and Lawrenson were brilliant. However I remember in the mid 80’s there were question marks about their aerial strength Gray and Sharp were giving them fits. Van Dijk in my opinion shaded them both. Van Dijk has everything that you want in a central defender - speed, strength, aerial dominance, anticipation, intelligence and leadership. Our best central defender ever without a shred of doubt

What you have to remember about Hansen and Lawrenson is that they were unfairly weighed down by all that silverware. Thirteen league titles between them. You try jumping with all those shiny things round your neck.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #4134 on: December 27, 2018, 02:55:45 pm »

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4135 on: December 27, 2018, 03:03:51 pm »
For anyone wondering why he chose us over City:

"So, it is always a thing that plays in my mind – I don’t want to be playing for a club where when things are going bad that you cannot count on them or you don’t have a feeling that the people have your back. I think it’s a very important thing and you feel you’re part of a real family when people are standing behind you whenever you need them."

Online Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #4136 on: December 27, 2018, 03:22:39 pm »
This fella is the best player in the world right now bar none

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4137 on: December 27, 2018, 03:29:21 pm »
This fella is the best player in the world right now bar none

Nah Messi is still the best player in the world. Van Dijk is the best defender at the moment

Online Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #4138 on: December 27, 2018, 03:31:23 pm »
Nah Messi is still the best player in the world. Van Dijk is the best defender at the moment

Not a chance, Virgil would munch him
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:33:26 pm by Mahern »

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4139 on: December 27, 2018, 03:33:38 pm »
Not a chance

21 goals, 11 assists, it's December 27th.  Yes, a chance. At this same period last year Salah had similar numbers, and had the season he did in the end.

Messi is on another planet.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #4140 on: December 27, 2018, 03:34:02 pm »
There was that one moment where the Newcastle player had somehow managed to hold him off enough to maybe get control of a GK clearance. Van Dijk hooked his foot round and volleyed it 20 yards to a red shirt. He's impossible to play against. If he were simply bigger than you, maybe you could turn him. If he were just quicker than you, perhaps you could beat him in the air. But not only is he bigger, faster and calmer than you - he's also better. Just better at football.

He must be absolutely soul destroying to play against.

And the best thing is that we've basically found the Messi and Ronaldo of defending in Van Dijk and Alisson. Not only were they ridiculously cheap considering how much better they are than anyone else who plays in their position and how much they dominate their zones, unlike attackers they contribute in every. single. game.

And while we've got room to improve our attack, and a choice of players who could improve it, City have no way of building a defence as good as ours because we have the two best players at doing it. Which means they can't catch up to us in that department. No matter how much money they wave.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Online Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #4141 on: December 27, 2018, 03:35:16 pm »
21 goals, 11 assists, it's December 27th.  Yes, a chance. At this same period last year Salah had similar numbers, and had the season he did in the end.

Messi is on another planet.

How many clean sheets Messi got?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4142 on: December 27, 2018, 03:35:30 pm »
For anyone wondering why he chose us over City:

"So, it is always a thing that plays in my mind – I don’t want to be playing for a club where when things are going bad that you cannot count on them or you don’t have a feeling that the people have your back. I think it’s a very important thing and you feel you’re part of a real family when people are standing behind you whenever you need them."

Basically they're a shit club with shit fans?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4143 on: December 27, 2018, 03:36:42 pm »
How many clean sheets Messi got?

I didn't realize Messi is a defender and that van Dijk played by himself at the back including in goal?

Online Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #4144 on: December 27, 2018, 03:37:30 pm »
I didn't realize Messi is a defender and that van Dijk played by himself at the back including in goal?

Lol fuck off support Messi then

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4145 on: December 27, 2018, 03:39:34 pm »
Lol fuck off support Messi then

''LOL''. Great counterargument simpleton.

Van Dijk is the best defender in the world, but for me untill Messi drops dramatically in terms of what he does on the pitch, will be the best player on the planet. But there's no shame in that, considering the level of ability he has.

In other words, go forth and multiply.  ;)

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #4146 on: December 27, 2018, 03:44:41 pm »

Van Dijk is the best defender in the world, but for me untill Messi drops dramatically in terms of what he does on the pitch, will be the best player on the planet. But there's no shame in that, considering the level of ability he has.

Apples and oranges.. Whats better a Range Rover or a Porsche? Pointless comparisons.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4147 on: December 27, 2018, 03:47:45 pm »
Apples and oranges.. Whats better a Range Rover or a Porsche? Pointless comparisons.
Right personal preference, which is what I explained. However any player who is scoring goals is directly impacting the result of the game. Keeping cleansheets is not something that is attainable by one individual it's a collective effort.

Van Dijk is a tremendous player, he has everything in his locker, has made us better, however we also have added a top class keeper, and are playing collectively as a unit better defensively than we have ever before, so clean sheets are a collective effort, not an individual effort alone. So it was pointless to bring up cleansheets to begin with.

For me, scoring goals is the hardest thing in football.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4148 on: December 27, 2018, 03:49:42 pm »
this thread escalated rather oddly!

I actually though Mahern was taking the piss, way to ruin a thread Mahern  :P

So back to Big Virg, he's lovely isn't he.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #4149 on: December 27, 2018, 03:50:30 pm »
Ya but Messi's shit at headed clearances 
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline TheDUtchRedKop

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4150 on: December 27, 2018, 03:51:07 pm »

go play with messi,  THIS IS LIVERPOOL  not Craplona,  and VVD would destroy messi
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:53:00 pm by TheDUtchRedKop »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4151 on: December 27, 2018, 03:52:13 pm »

go play with messi,  THIS IS LIVERPOOL  not Craplona

Hahahahah, did you just get out of your diapers?

::)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4152 on: December 27, 2018, 03:53:04 pm »

His scent slows down time.  :)

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4153 on: December 27, 2018, 03:53:50 pm »

go play with messi,  THIS IS LIVERPOOL  not Craplona,  and VVD would destroy messi

the site you are looking for is:

www.twitter.com

His scent slows down time.  :)

;D

I just love his immaculate hair style, not a hair out of place after a match, it's amazing.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4154 on: December 27, 2018, 03:54:22 pm »

There's nothing outrageous about claiming VVD is best in the world right now. I'd agree with it, he's better at defending than any forward at attacking imho. Football is a game of opinions anyway.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4155 on: December 27, 2018, 03:54:59 pm »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #4156 on: December 27, 2018, 03:57:08 pm »
Here is a very detailed interview with the big man about his first year as a LFC player from the LFC website.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/331525-one-year-of-virgil-van-dijk-signing-in-at-lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4157 on: December 27, 2018, 03:58:02 pm »
the site you are looking for is:

www.twitter.com

;D

I just love his immaculate hair style, not a hair out of place after a match, it's amazing.

Head's the ball like prime Federer would hit the ball with his backhand, and still no hair out of place. Probably doesn't sweat either.  ;D

Online Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #4158 on: December 27, 2018, 04:04:48 pm »

So back to Big

Virg, he's lovely isn't he.

Exactly right mate, I don't need to be right but Virgil is the boss. Messi won't get past him the bow-legged fizzy gimp

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4159 on: December 27, 2018, 04:05:16 pm »
Fucking hell I love VVD and said he was the best defender I had seen at LFC after like two games. But even I won't claim he's better than Messi of all people who probably is the best ever to kick a ball. Let's savour our colossus and celebrate VVD day.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.