Author Topic: PL: Sheff U 0 vs 2 Liverpool VVD 37’ Szoboszlai 90+5’  (Read 16579 times)

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: PL: Sheff U 0 vs 2 Liverpool VVD 37’ Szoboszlai 90+5’
« Reply #360 on: December 7, 2023, 12:11:56 am »
often find myself sympathising when various managers give people short shrift, but though this extremely polite telling off was well earned and Klopp did it well without seeming rude or petty.

I suspect a large part of why he decided to respond like he did was he had already had to face the assertion 'for entertainments sake' that the VVD goal should have been disallowed and having the amazon guy tee up the ex sheff utd clogger to say it was a snide gameplan to foul him. as we all know, we're usually the fairest team in the league and there's no way we're trying to commit a sly bit of gamesmanship for the goal (the gamesmanship was their guy rolling around faking injury while watching the play and looking for the ref).

Being accused, even if it was 'banter' (it wasn't), of cheating is going to grate. then having his view on 12.30 games (coming from a concern for player safety) being made light of on the same day that we've just lost a player to an achilles rupture was stupid at best and snide at worst (I don't thnk it was snide, the guy sincerely just made a stupid mistake, he's not some snide insincere scumbag like Jake Humphrey on BT)

"football is entertainment... and I understand.." - absolutely levelled the guy while keeping his cool and getting his firm but polite disagreement across

Achilles rupture? Who?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: December 7, 2023, 12:15:13 am »
Achilles rupture? Who?
That's a mistake, sorry! Mixed it up with an NFL player's injury. Meant Matip's ACL rupture

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #362 on: December 7, 2023, 12:23:57 am »
Only good thing about that game was the win.  I can't recall a recent worse display from us, especially given the competition, that resulted in a win.

Team effort was about 3/10 and the boys looked slow, lethargic and out of sorts.  Gomez had one of the worst games I've ever seen from him.

Hopefully, we can put this behind us soon and start upping our performances.  A few injuries and a busy December schedule will definitely be a challenge.
Raϊl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #363 on: December 7, 2023, 12:27:52 am »
Old school from Sheffield, long throws and all! Just made it ugly and had the boost of a new manager.

Take the win and move on.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #364 on: December 7, 2023, 12:32:50 am »
Matches will be a grind between now and the end of February. Good result. Just keep winning.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #365 on: December 7, 2023, 12:33:40 am »
Crap performance but mostly comfortable. With the schedule the way it is, I'll take these 3 points all day, it was never going to be a big thrashing after the change in manager geed up the players and fans.

Hopefully Mac is ok, I guess just needs time for the cut to heal.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #366 on: December 7, 2023, 12:40:15 am »
Crap performance but mostly comfortable. With the schedule the way it is, I'll take these 3 points all day, it was never going to be a big thrashing after the change in manager geed up the players and fans.

Hopefully Mac is ok, I guess just needs time for the cut to heal.

I agree with this.

We need to step it up though.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #367 on: December 7, 2023, 01:06:13 am »
It's hard to complain when you get all 3 points but man that was not good. We're definitely stuttering at the moment and it feels like the next good team we play will turn us over but then again we just played ManC and while they were better it was pretty close. So who knows. Just be happy? Seems to be the best option. Up the Reds!

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: December 7, 2023, 01:20:34 am »
I agree with this.

We need to step it up though.
Games away to teams like this are tough because they match up well against us an play to our weaknesses. For example,  they focus on bullying our midfield, limiting any counter pressing opportunities and they exploit our right wing which we leave open for tactical reasons.

We tend to play slow because we don't want to lose the ball and get done on the counter. To be fair to most of the weakest teams, they normally have real pace in their attack.

To cut the long story short,  we shouldn't be underestimating these teams because they are the ones that set out to attack our weaknesses. Stronger teams focus more on playing to their strengths.

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #369 on: December 7, 2023, 01:22:07 am »
Arsenal haven't been great lately either but like us they're getting results.  It's the most important thing right now.  Last year we pretty much lost every time we had an off day.
2-0 away is always a good result.

Offline Le Westalero

• Main Stander
  • You can count on Jόrgen Norbert Klopp
« Reply #370 on: December 7, 2023, 01:30:02 am »
Only good thing about that game was the win.  I can't recall a recent worse display from us, especially given the competition, that resulted in a win.

Team effort was about 3/10 and the boys looked slow, lethargic and out of sorts.  Gomez had one of the worst games I've ever seen from him.

Hopefully, we can put this behind us soon and start upping our performances.  A few injuries and a busy December schedule will definitely be a challenge.

How can you give the team a 3/10 when VVD, Trent and Endo were class?

Add Kelleher to that, who made an important save. Add Nunez with the assist and the mentality to that.

We've managed the game well and bar e Ibou, Joe and Jones we've been well. It was a tricky midweek away game at Sheffield who had a new manager and we've got the win.

Yes, we could have or should have scored that second goal earlier but that aside we've got the win and we move.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: December 7, 2023, 02:19:53 am »
Was that on BT sport or whatever its called now? They think it's funny that they can make us play at 12.30 every other week.

Nah Sun 430

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: December 7, 2023, 03:27:49 am »
They had more fight with the new manager bounce. We were ok, but the all important thing was three points. We can, and will, play much better. In the meantime picking up three points to stay very close to the top is good.

I don’t fully trust our team yet, in terms of being able to put a great run together that wins the league. But we are on the way and in the fight. Three points. Onwards and upwards.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #373 on: December 7, 2023, 05:27:19 am »
You could see the Wilder impact on them to be very physical and kick anything that moved all game, thankfully we saw it out.

Concerns me that Nunez seems the only one with genuine pace up top anymore, Mo for all his brilliance has lost a step and Diaz has 100% lost a yard of pace since the injury, he diesnt threaten running in behind the opposition's defence with and without the ball like he used too.

Does anyone know how long Jota is out for? 

Trent & VVD our best players tonight

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #374 on: December 7, 2023, 05:36:23 am »
The front 3 haven’t turned up the last two games and we have scored 6 goals, let’s not take this team for granted, albeit we will need to improve in the next few games. You can’t play well every week, up the  reds!
We're back to the levels of the league-winning season mate. A hard-fought 2-0 away(those are extremely rare, but symbolize a league-winning defense and will to win), two games in a row where the front 3 can't score, so the captain and outfield players win the game, a physical game where we're being kicked to shite, 3 days after another hard-fought match that we won by a brilliant last-minute goal...

We're going all the way mate. Now, I'm finally getting on the Challengers-train!

(Btw, what determination, and a defenders' tackle from big Darwin to win the ball and provide the assist for Szoboslai! He's got an eye for an assist)
« Last Edit: December 7, 2023, 05:45:31 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #375 on: December 7, 2023, 05:49:51 am »

That's what you can expect after a marathon of an effort 3 days ago. The win is the only thing that matters mate.
That game against Fulham required maximum effort from the whole team- as has now become evident.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #376 on: December 7, 2023, 06:03:53 am »
My favourite moment was definitely towards the end when one of their defenders rolled around as if he had been shot in the balls after Darwin's clean tackle. When are they going to start booking these c*nts for playacting..

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jόrgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #377 on: December 7, 2023, 06:29:33 am »
I just don't think he was trying anything. It's like a colloquialism, an alternative way of saying "it's a 12.30 kick off, which I know is a tricky time". He wasn't trying to be clever or engage in banter, he was trying to be friendly. That's how it comes across to me, not how Klopp saw it obviously, but I think it's OK to disagree with the boss on things sometimes  :)

You disagree with it all you like but I'm not because as Dim has just explained this is something which is important to him the welfare of his players. If you want to be friendly as you term don't mention subjects like this one, in the way he did. Do you think they treat Guardiola like this?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #378 on: December 7, 2023, 06:44:17 am »
Firstly, yes of course I am truly happy than we won it. Done. Secondly...  8)  8)

I know it's not the thread but aaa... Man-Cheats-City hahahahha!!! Hahahhaah!!!  ;D  ;D

;D  ;D Fuckin sweeettt babeh yer c*nts!!!! Aaaahhh you have no idea on how goooooddd it feels.

Christmas did come early. I'm not sure about you lot, but it made my day. Hahahahah!! Take that yer c*nts!!!
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: December 7, 2023, 07:24:52 am »
Would've lost that last year. Still look fragile away from home, but that was set up to be especially difficult and we gave them fuck all. Great to see big players sticking their hands up with the front line looking out of sorts.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #380 on: December 7, 2023, 07:32:41 am »
We're back to the levels of the league-winning season mate. A hard-fought 2-0 away(those are extremely rare, but symbolize a league-winning defense and will to win), two games in a row where the front 3 can't score, so the captain and outfield players win the game, a physical game where we're being kicked to shite, 3 days after another hard-fought match that we won by a brilliant last-minute goal...

We're going all the way mate. Now, I'm finally getting on the Challengers-train!

(Btw, what determination, and a defenders' tackle from big Darwin to win the ball and provide the assist for Szoboslai! He's got an eye for an assist)
Nah, not having that after the last couple of games. We were winning everything then, beating all sorts of records.
We're much better than last year of course, but we are conceding far too many chances for no good reason.

That said, there is no team in this year's league that looks as good as our title-winning team, but someone will win it.

There's one aspect that is better than ever under Klopp though: Everybody's contributing with goals - in particular the midfield. We're not relying on 3-4 players to score and win us games. Endo, Szobo, VVD, Mac, Trent...
The lack of goals from midfield was one of the key weaknesses of the previous generation Liverpool team.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: December 7, 2023, 07:33:09 am »
Sheff utd are one of  the biggest gang of yard dogs to disgrace the premier league , yet Chis ‘70’s kick the shit out of em football’ Wilder , is crying that both our goals should’ve been disallowed because of fouls. I’m glad these are going straight back down.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: December 7, 2023, 07:38:11 am »

Yes! Looking back at 19/20, and our results at newly promoted teams was:

0-1 vs Sheffield United
0-1 vs Norwich
1-2 vs Aston Villa

All three were absolute grinds.

Also worth noting that even at their worst Sheffield United have been competitive against the big teams this season - nearly got a draw against Man City, deserved a draw against Man United and were beating Spurs in stoppage time.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2023, 07:40:23 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #383 on: December 7, 2023, 07:50:24 am »
That's what you can expect after a marathon of an effort 3 days ago. The win is the only thing that matters mate.
That game against Fulham required maximum effort from the whole team- as has now become evident.

Fulham fightback was great but after being ahead twice in the first half you have to do yourself a favour and make that a comfortable win, rather than having to dig deep during a busy schedule. Purely supposition but if the second half is more of a stroll then the Matip thing might not happen either.

In fairness though Fulham result yesterday shows they're hitting form and was always a bad time to play these last night.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #384 on: December 7, 2023, 08:26:23 am »

Exactly right. When we won the league people tend to remember us just demolishing everyone - which wasn`t the case. There were a lot of close results that season in games where just getting the win was all that mattered. Last night felt like that - just get the win and get out.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: December 7, 2023, 08:36:22 am »
Sheff utd are one of  the biggest gang of yard dogs to disgrace the premier league , yet Chis ‘70’s kick the shit out of em football’ Wilder , is crying that both our goals should’ve been disallowed because of fouls. I’m glad these are going straight back down.
Very glad now that potatoe-headed nob is back in charge.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #386 on: December 7, 2023, 08:40:53 am »
Their crowd was full on mongrel last night, complaining about literally everything. Will be good to see them go down with the worst goal difference the league has ever seen.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: December 7, 2023, 08:41:11 am »
Love seeing Jurgen fired up, even after a victory. He knows the performance wasn't there and won't be letting any complacency creep in.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #388 on: December 7, 2023, 08:49:19 am »
Busy schedule, physical game against a team that were pumped up under a new manager, and a midweek game under the lights. It was basically like a cup game against a championship side and we came out 2-0 winners. Good enough for me, move on to Saturday!

If as fans we go round expected to smash anyone in the lower half, we'll be very disappointed.

Their crowd was full on mongrel last night, complaining about literally everything. Will be good to see them go down with the worst goal difference the league has ever seen.

Singing the league is corrupt when you have conceded 5 or more 3 times already this season.  :butt Maybe they are just not that great.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #389 on: December 7, 2023, 08:52:32 am »
Away win, 3 points, clean sheet. Job done.

It wasn't pretty, but after a tough 1-1 at City, a Thursday night Europa game, and then an emotional 4-3 battle with Fulham - this was unlikely to be an easy away win or swashbuckling performance.

Just need to grind out results out each and every week, as this league is wide open after City's recent poor run, and I think plenty more teams will take points off them.

We had some scrappy wins in 19/20 on our way to the title, and sometimes the 3 points is all that really matters. Onwards and upwards.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Online DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jόrgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #390 on: December 7, 2023, 08:56:52 am »
Crystal Palace away is a stinker for tired legs. They do look tired as well. Bigger issue is when Nunez doesn’t play the side looks blunt as no one is able to break the lines like he can
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #391 on: December 7, 2023, 08:56:56 am »

Sean Dyche is similar. Plays on the reputation of being tough, proper football men etc, and then all his players do is play for free-kicks and then he throws his arms up whenever an opposition player puts in a shoulder barge :D

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: December 7, 2023, 09:01:48 am »
we don't make it easy for ourselves

we seemed to be pushing for the second goal and frequently conceding possession because of this, all we needed to do was keep the ball and kill the game, maybe this current team is too young/inexperienced to be able to do this

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: December 7, 2023, 09:06:08 am »
we don't make it easy for ourselves

we seemed to be pushing for the second goal and frequently conceding possession because of this, all we needed to do was keep the ball and kill the game, maybe this current team is too young/inexperienced to be able to do this

Thought we killed the game quite well. Made it a non event after 1-0.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: December 7, 2023, 09:08:13 am »
One issue is the attacking balance. At the moment its Salah and Nunez who work well and that right side is strong but the left side is not contributing as much. Diaz is definitely off some form understandably.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: December 7, 2023, 09:45:48 am »
Remember title winning season we had Watford at home. Same with Wolves at home that year awful some great oerformances too at Leicester.
Its about winning in december.
People are too reactionary after an sloppy performance. I expect us to raise our game at home to Utd & Arsenal

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #396 on: December 7, 2023, 10:02:29 am »
Remember title winning season we had Watford at home. Same with Wolves at home that year awful some great oerformances too at Leicester.
Its about winning in december.
People are too reactionary after an sloppy performance. I expect us to raise our game at home to Utd & Arsenal

Who was it where we had that tough 1-0 away win with Gini scoring through the keeper's legs after a bit of a lucky howler? Wasn't that Sheffield United?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: December 7, 2023, 10:03:05 am »
Not a great performance from us last night as we look a little tired and lacking a few ideas to break down the bus defence, which we knew would be thrown at us. At times they had six in the backline with everyone else behind the ball and we didn't exactly get behind them too often as only Salah had the pace to do that plus he was well watched. Utd had their moments as had a few two/three on three breaks and Kelleher did well when called upon. They definitely didn't hold back on the challenges which I'm fine with as when fighting to survive you got to expect that, the odd bloody nose will harden us up and Nunez gave as good as we got with that great tackle before the goal. The crazy thing is 8 out of 10 times another ref would have called a foul there (wrongly so but the game is soft as diarrhoea these days) so delighted we faced a little hard graft from Utd with our own. Endo has that streak in him too which is nice to see as we should be able to fight when called upon. The season is shaping up nicely as no pundit was predicting this for us so far as most thought we would scrape Top 4.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #398 on: December 7, 2023, 10:04:30 am »
Who was it where we had that tough 1-0 away win with Gini scoring through the keeper's legs after a bit of a lucky howler? Wasn't that Sheffield United?

Yeah, Sheffield United, late September.

We had loads of one goal wins where we did enough - generally we were very good at keeping teams at arm’s length but obviously a few nervy ones in there. Palace and Wolves away were others where we were pegged back to 1-1 and still found ways to win late on. We could have afforded a few draws by those points but that feeling of relentlessness was amazing.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #399 on: December 7, 2023, 10:13:10 am »
Yeah, Sheffield United, late September.

We had loads of one goal wins where we did enough - generally we were very good at keeping teams at arm’s length but obviously a few nervy ones in there. Palace and Wolves away were others where we were pegged back to 1-1 and still found ways to win late on. We could have afforded a few draws by those points but that feeling of relentlessness was amazing.

It wasn't all rainbows and butterflies that season, we just accumulated the points whilst playing ugly. Same as what we're doing now. That game against SU everyone thought we were going to steam roll through.

One thing I did laugh at in the game last night was their player taking the piss out of Macca by tying his laces. Was good to see everyone in good spirits about it, although a bit of an own goal on the player's part for wasting time when they were 1-0 down.  ;D