Author Topic: What exactly DOES it entail being a supporter at the moment?  (Read 16910 times)

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
What exactly DOES it entail being a supporter at the moment?
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:04:57 pm »
I thought I'd give RAWK another go after the other week, actually come back on and see where everyone was in their thinking towards this club, and I don't know why I bothered really.

After coming back in, it just gets progressively worse and worse each week with regard to the fans in here.

There are a fair few people who, I thought, were quite intelligent fans, know what they are talking about. Actually looked for their posts. There's a fair few who are acting like clueless, classless gobshites. Never thought I'd say this about our support, it's not even the one game a season whoppers, the fans who might call phone in's, it's actually fans who I thought had some common sense that seem to have lost all perspective and all rational thought in favour of dogs abuse towards the manager.

bollocks - the owners dont pick the team and they dont set up the team in such a shithouse manner like that twat does

Quotes like this. 10 games into a season, about OUR manager. Did anyone think it would ever come to this as a Liverpool supporter?

I've been a fan for around 28 years now, started watching Liverpool when I was 7. I've never experienced anything like this. Obviously, none of us have. Where a manager, who's just joined the club, gets this kind of shit flung at him 11 games into his managership.

What I don't understand and never will, is why some of you are hell bent and get FAR more vitriolic about the manager at the moment, than you've ever done about the owners, other than the obvious soundbites of 'fuck the yanks' and so forth. And yet, no matter how people want to look at it, we've been on a downward spiral (2nd place not withstanding) ever since the owners arrived.

I posted so many times in the summer about wanting to talk about the football without being met with 'you're not getting the bigger picture' about the ownership situation. And I still believe that, because if we lose the football, what do we have left? Fuck all. So I'm not saying it's wrong to question the manager, ANY Liverpool manager, about his tactics. Or question what he's doing. As Rafa found out, even with ownership issues, people don't give a fuck, they'll still slaughter the man in charge even if he's working with one hand tied behind his back.

But this systematic dogs abuse to OUR manager, given the situation at the club, is getting fucking appalling. I don't give two shits whether people think I'm a prick for defending the man, I don't give a fuck whether you counter with bollocks about the football we are playing at the moment, or the position we are in. It doesn't excuse the kind of shit that we'd be pissing ourselves laughing about if Everton or Utd fans were doing the same.

What I do give a fuck about is where people want to be as a Liverpool fan, because watching the new manager in charge get the shit he's getting, to me, isn't what being a fan is. In fact, I'm fucking embarrassed to read it. Other clubs fans will be laughing their cocks off at us, more so when they read fans calling the manager a 'twat' after 11 games. It's not even about being a 'super fan' or telling people what to do and how to support the team, it's about not forgetting there was a time we didn't pull this shit as Liverpool fans. We NEVER did.

While football has changed, and the modern day fan wants it all and wants it now, there is still a level we didn't stoop to, but now we do, and we do it worse than other fans we like to label 'small time' but which we are no better than at the moment.

Going by RAWK as an example, we've long since stopped being the 'best fans in the world'™. Oh but we must be, we don't stand for the owners doing what they are doing, we defend our own, we are the 12th man. Are we fuck, we are just turning into gobshites no better than the ones who eventually boo their team off the pitch or start singing the manager doesn't know what he's doing.

To me it comes from a few things. The way Rafa was treated, which was appalling, is being taken out on Hodgson, for no good reason. It's a crying fucking shame Rafa had to leave, and if he'd had owners who, as he said himself this week, KNEW football, he could have took on us on to great things, but he didn't. Sadly for him, sadly for us.

Kenny himself said it was the right time for Rafa to go, even if the fans in here still worship the ground he walked on, there was no working around the fact he hated them, they didn't like him. Liverpool couldn't carry on like that.

And yet, because he eventually was forced out, the new man is getting the brunt of the anger at the previous manager being so highly thought of. So he loses a game, he's a 'twat'.

Also, the guilty by association. Hodgson was appointed by men we hate. We ALL hate. So therefore, he's a 'twat'. Hodgson is a yes man, lackey, nice man, uncle Roy, and he was appointed by a board who want someone who won't rock the boat like Rafa did. ALL points that might actually be partly true, but again, are hardly the reason to slaughter the man after only 11 games of a managerial career at Liverpool FC.

I've read ridiculous conspiracy after conspiracy on RAWK, how he's here to do the boards dirty work, how he's only here because he won't stand up to anyone. etc etc. His every word is crucified, his every comment is over analysed, everything he says is pulled apart. And then you expect him to go and send a team out, under that kind of fan scrutiny and sweep all before him and get us back into the champions league?

I was totally underwhelmed by his appointment. Completely underwhelmed. I also thought he should be given a chance. If you dare even say that now, the 'ahhh, but RAFA didn't get a chance, so why should he? If Rafa was sacked for finishing out of the CL places, then Roy HAS to get us back there'. Again, the new man gets it in the neck for the achievements of the previous manager.

Post after post compares the two managers. Including this one. But the failings and ability of Hodgson doesn't deserve the kind of abuse he's getting from some of our 'support' this early in his career with us.

As Gareth said in a post the other day, people in here, however much they try and deny it, are waiting and hoping he fails. Every time he gets something wrong, the above comes out. The stock abuse. The 'shithouse' and 'twat' posts. Desperate for the man to fail. No matter how many times people say 'I don't want him to fail, I just hate where we are as a club' or something to that effect, it's utter bollocks.

If you hate were we are as a club, see the owners and the board. Although then that will be met with 'ah yes, but by proxy, he was appointed by them, so he's liable too!'. Again, bollocks. Every time I come into RAWK now I just see people revelling in the shit we are in. Revelling in being able to have a dig at the manager.

If you think Hodgson is a shit manager, is a terrible tactician, fair enough. But surely the anger some of you are showing towards him as a manager, and I don't mean just questioning his tactics, I mean the abuse, the name calling, the general shit that's getting flung his way after only 11 games, would be better directed at the owners? Or the anger you are feeling as to where we are as a club is being directed at a man trying to drag us out of that, who's walked into an impossible job, who's walked into a job where he's on a hiding to nothing from day one but decided to come here because of who we are, not because of 'one last pay day' (another ridiculous myth).

Whether you think it should still be Rafa trying to drag us out of the mess we are in or not, it was either him, Hodgson or no-one, so why is Hodgson now getting a fair brunt of it?

Most of the fans slaughtering Hodgson now are the same ones who derided the fans who slaughtered Rafa when he was here, trying to educate them that he was operating under extreme and difficult condictions. So why is the new man fair game when the previous wasn't?

In game threads were stopped because they'd be swamped with fans with one line posts saying 'RAFA OUT!' and such. And yet the fans who rightly slammed that kind of shit post are now the ones calling Hodgson a 'twat'. After 11 games. And only 2 defeats.

I genuinely don't give a toss if this post is slammed, feel free. Have a pop. I'm not happy with the way we are playing, the way we are set-up by Hodgson at the moment. I'm not happy with where we are as a club. But that's not the new managers fault, it's the board and the fact that we've been hamstrung by them for three seasons.

I actually read a post today saying 'what's it got to do with the owners?'. Something which popped up regularly, and at times fairly, when Rafa was in charge. 'They don't pick the side'. Yes, correct, But they do make the managers in charge have to settle for second best, they do make them manage with one hand tied behind their back and they do make them have to operate on a budget that is at odds with where we, as Liverpool fans, think we are as a club.

As much as it's not ALL down to the owners, they didn't pick the side under Rafa and they don't pick the team under Hodgson. BOTH managers should rightly have tactics questioned. But to see the amount of vitriol and abuse that Hodgson is getting now, when he's only been in charge for 11 matches, is shocking to me purely because I've never seen it before as a Liverpool fan. Even people in here I thought were decent and level headed have just gone off on gobshite rants.

It's such a shame that Liverpool fans, on RAWK at least, now feel that this is what we do. We have a poor result, and the man in charge, the lackey, the yes man, gets abuse and people lining up to watch him fail and revel in it.

I hope we do get new owners, because I long for the day when it gets back to being about football at Anfield and the main passion for a fan isn't about slaughtering the manager on the touchline (who's lost 3 games in 11) because he was appointed by c*nts.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:15:39 pm by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
Re: What exactly DOES it entail being a supporter at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 10:09:33 pm »
The first rule of being a supporter of the club is to support the team through thick and thin. I think the Northampton result brought reasonable doubt in many supporters minds about the ambition of Hodgson as in my eyes the League Cup was the best chance of silverware this season. We are Liverpool Football Club. We don't lose at home against 4th division opposition whether we're playing our first team or the reserves. Its simply unacceptable. Results, tactics & selection of late have brought the club under high scrutiny of late and fans deserve to voice their opinion (but yes of course you do get the odd few who think sacking the manager after a run of 3 or 4 bad games is the way forward).

A couple of wins will turn the season around but there's just bleak times ahead and we as fans are not used to it. Onwards and upwards hey...
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 10:14:29 pm »
As Gareth said in a post the other day, people in here, however much they try and deny it, are waiting and hoping he fails. Every time he gets something wrong, the above comes out. The stock abuse. The 'shithouse' and 'twat' posts. Desperate for the man to fail. No matter how many times people say 'I don't want him to fail, I just hate where we are as a club' or something to that effect, it's utter bollocks
I find this to be a very arrogant and offensive assumption.

Offline Licky

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:16:39 pm »
The only thing I do about being a supporter is to follow the fans interpretation of the Liverpool way.  The club has no concept of the Liverpool way any longer, since they sacked Rafa.  Hodgson saw how rafa was treated and new the situation with the owners but chose to take up the role.  He'll get fuck all support from me, he's a stooge yes man, who's never won a pot
They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:16:44 pm »
I find this to be a very arrogant and offensive assumption.
I find it offensive when people say they aren't and yet are revelling in it when we don't get a good result.

Offline hiphopdj

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:17:43 pm »
Supporting them through thick and thin
For those of you watching in blue and white this is what a european cup looks like.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 10:20:24 pm »
Paul, that quote still burns my eyes, and sadly enough yes, it seems that is what we have become.

I like reading litbm posts, at times and he may even say the same about mine. But that is a fucking embarrassment for all of us.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 10:21:23 pm »
It is very simple, you replace a manager with a better one or you don't replace him at all.
In no way shape or form, in this life or a million others is Roy Hodgson better or even as good as Rafael Benitez at managing football teams.

And the first port of call for any club when things aren't going well is the manager.

Like it or loath it but the sad fact is in 2004 we appointed a two time La Liga winning, Uefa cup holding manager who effectively broke up a Spanish monopoly.

In 2010 we replaced this man with someone not fit to polish his trophy's, overlooking two potentially better candidates to do so (Kenny & Pellegrini).

I look at it the same way as Charlton with Les Reed & Sunderland with Howard Wilkinson. Neither man should have been anywhere near those jobs and they were not mourned when they were eventually dismissed, the same will eventually be true of Hodgson. The man is not up to it a lot of people predicted it and it's now happening, whatever you say about the support that is not the reason we are playing like shite and not winning football matches.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 10:21:45 pm »
I think he seems to get a worse deal on here than on a lot of other forums. 

He made a huge mistake picking the team for the Northampton game.  If we had won that there wouldn't be half as much pressure on him as there is now.  Picking a team and bench solely of second stream players left no options when thingsa went wrong and was a major miscalculation by him.

Going out of a cup comp to a second division club though was not only embarrassing, it added to the generasl gloom and low confidence surrounding the club at the moment.  A win that night would have gone a good way to lift spirits as the prospect of winning a domestic trophy loomed.

I don't think it is wrong to criticise or question such things, but there has been a lot of criticism of him solely because he isn't Rafa and that serves no purpose other than to add to the general feeling of anger and doom on here at the moment. 
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 10:23:15 pm »
I'm not a fan of Hodgsons style/tactics but he has my full support. I've said this to numerous other people. Doesn't matter who the manager is... as long as we still have these owners nothing is going to get better. (and most that know me - know me to be a very optimistic person, most of the time blindly optimistic)

Last season - getting rid of Rafa (like many wanted) wasn't going to improve things. This season getting rid of Roy also probably won't improve things. He's faced with the same issues that Rafa was faced with.

Kenny was probably right, it was time for Rafa to move on but I don't it was because of the football, in my opinion it was because he just could do it all anymore. On the field and off the field fight against the owners as Hodgson is finding out. Torres said the same thing - it was time for Rafa to go because they didn't allow him to do his job properly.

The owners are the biggest problem the club is facing.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 10:23:31 pm »
I think he seems to get a worse deal on here than on a lot of other forums. 

He made a huge mistake picking the team for the Northampton game.  If we had won that there wouldn't be half as much pressure on him as there is now.  Picking a team and bench solely of second stream players left no options when thingsa went wrong and was a major miscalculation by him.

Going out of a cup comp to a second division club though was not only embarrassing, it added to the generasl gloom and low confidence surrounding the club at the moment.  A win that night would have gone a good way to lift spirits as the prospect of winning a domestic trophy loomed.

I don't think it is wrong to criticise or question such things, but there has been a lot of criticism of him solely because he isn't Rafa and that serves no purpose other than to add to the general feeling of anger and doom on here at the moment. 

4th division!
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline SuperBario

• Main Stander
  • Internet Terrorist (Retired)
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 10:25:27 pm »
I can understand your anger Paul JH.

I agree the invective should be directed solely at the owners.

However, to tow the party line and accept mediocrity, as Hodgson has done, also invites ( and deserves ) criticism

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 10:26:29 pm »
Excellent post

The shit people  (and as you say, people I thought knew far far better) are saying about him in the Hodgson thread is absolutely fucking disgusting.

Its shocked me actually. Really has
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline kopiteinexileinburnley

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 10:28:16 pm »
Paul - I understand the sentiment of your post, but don't share the pessimism that underpins it. The trouble with many of the posts is that keyboard warriors can be vitriolic safe behind the anonymity of their username (says kopiteinexileinburnley aka - Ian) but is what is said post match on RAWK typical of most Liverpool fans? I don't think so. Speaking to my mates (how representative is that straw poll?) our talk is of tactics and players and the manager and it isn't littered with abuse.
I take the view that such rabid, abusive responses aren't worth bothering with as there is little coherence to much of it and says more about the poster than they probably realise.
Being a fan and following the mythical "Liverpool way" means something different to each one of us. To me it is boycotting games, writing letters and trying to overcome the apathy of any reds that I meet.

Offline GODS LEFT BOOT

• Legacy Fan
  • ...AND THE SWEET SILVER SONG OF THE LARK
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 10:29:16 pm »
The kind of abuse aimed at our manager shows a lack of class

His time as manager is posing me a problem thou -  while i of course want us to improve, its clear from what we have seen that improve means getting better at playing like Fulham and that isnt a path i want for us. So Im left supporting the manager knowing that every time we take a step forward it is a step towards the kind of football  Graham Taylor would be proud of
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:31:00 pm by GODS LEFT BOOT »
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 10:30:16 pm »
Paul , very well said , brilliant post , its about time we had a thread giving Hodgson a break.

Question his tactics , methods but calling him names is out of order.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 10:30:16 pm »
I thought I'd give RAWK another go after the other week, actually come back on and see where everyone was in their thinking towards this club, and I don't know why I bothered really.

After coming back in, it just gets progressively worse and worse each week with regard to the fans in here.

There are a fair few people who, I thought, were quite intelligent fans, know what they are talking about. Actually looked for their posts. There's a fair few who are acting like clueless, classless gobshites. Never thought I'd say this about our support, it's not even the one game a season whoppers, the fans who might call phone in's, it's actually fans who I thought had some common sense that seem to have lost all perspective and all rational thought in favour of dogs abuse towards the manager.

Quotes like this. 10 games into a season, about OUR manager. Did anyone think it would ever come to this as a Liverpool supporter?

I've been a fan for around 28 years now, started watching Liverpool when I was 7. I've never experienced anything like this. Obviously, none of us have. Where a manager, who's just joined the club, gets this kind of shit flung at him 11 games into his managership.

What I don't understand and never will, is why some of you are hell bent and get FAR more vitriolic about the manager at the moment, than you've ever done about the owners, other than the obvious soundbites of 'fuck the yanks' and so forth. And yet, no matter how people want to look at it, we've been on a downward spiral (2nd place not withstanding) ever since the owners arrived.

I posted so many times in the summer about wanting to talk about the football without being met with 'you're not getting the bigger picture' about the ownership situation. And I still believe that, because if we lose the football, what do we have left? Fuck all. So I'm not saying it's wrong to question the manager, ANY Liverpool manager, about his tactics. Or question what he's doing. As Rafa found out, even with ownership issues, people don't give a fuck, they'll still slaughter the man in charge even if he's working with one hand tied behind his back.

But this systematic dogs abuse to OUR manager, given the situation at the club, is getting fucking appalling. I don't give two shits whether people think I'm a prick for defending the man, I don't give a fuck whether you counter with bollocks about the football we are playing at the moment, or the position we are in. It doesn't excuse the kind of shit that we'd be pissing ourselves laughing about if Everton or Utd fans were doing the same.

What I do give a fuck about is where people want to be as a Liverpool fan, because watching the new manager in charge get the shit he's getting, to me, isn't what being a fan is. In fact, I'm fucking embarrassed to read it. Other clubs fans will be laughing their cocks off at us, more so when they read fans calling the manager a 'twat' after 11 games. It's not even about being a 'super fan' or telling people what to do and how to support the team, it's about not forgetting there was a time we didn't pull this shit as Liverpool fans. We NEVER did.

While football has changed, and the modern day fan wants it all and wants it now, there is still a level we didn't stoop to, but now we do, and we do it worse than other fans we like to label 'small time' but which we are no better than at the moment.

Going by RAWK as an example, we've long since stopped being the 'best fans in the world'™. Oh but we must be, we don't stand for the owners doing what they are doing, we defend our own, we are the 12th man. Are we fuck, we are just turning into gobshites no better than the ones who eventually boo their team off the pitch or start singing the manager doesn't know what he's doing.

To me it comes from a few things. The way Rafa was treated, which was appalling, is being taken out on Hodgson, for no good reason. It's a crying fucking shame Rafa had to leave, and if he'd had owners who, as he said himself this week, KNEW football, he could have took on us on to great things, but he didn't. Sadly for him, sadly for us.

Kenny himself said it was the right time for Rafa to go, even if the fans in here still worship the ground he walked on, there was no working around the fact he hated them, they didn't like him. Liverpool couldn't carry on like that.

And yet, because he eventually was forced out, the new man is getting the brunt of the anger at the previous manager being so highly thought of. So he loses a game, he's a 'twat'.

Also, the guilty by association. Hodgson was appointed by men we hate. We ALL hate. So therefore, he's a 'twat'. Hodgson is a yes man, lackey, nice man, uncle Roy, and he was appointed by a board who want someone who won't rock the boat like Rafa did. ALL points that might actually be partly true, but again, are hardly the reason to slaughter the man after only 11 games of a managerial career at Liverpool FC.

I've read ridiculous conspiracy after conspiracy on RAWK, how he's here to do the boards dirty work, how he's only here because he won't stand up to anyone. etc etc. His every word is crucified, his every comment is over analysed, everything he says is pulled apart. And then you expect him to go and send a team out, under that kind of fan scrutiny and sweep all before him and get us back into the champions league?

I was totally underwhelmed by his appointment. Completely underwhelmed. I also thought he should be given a chance. If you dare even say that now, the 'ahhh, but RAFA didn't get a chance, so why should he? If Rafa was sacked for finishing out of the CL places, then Roy HAS to get us back there'. Again, the new man gets it in the neck for the achievements of the previous manager.

Post after post compares the two managers. Including this one. But the failings and ability of Hodgson doesn't deserve the kind of abuse he's getting from some of our 'support' this early in his career with us.

As Gareth said in a post the other day, people in here, however much they try and deny it, are waiting and hoping he fails. Every time he gets something wrong, the above comes out. The stock abuse. The 'shithouse' and 'twat' posts. Desperate for the man to fail. No matter how many times people say 'I don't want him to fail, I just hate where we are as a club' or something to that effect, it's utter bollocks.

If you hate were we are as a club, see the owners and the board. Although then that will be met with 'ah yes, but by proxy, he was appointed by them, so he's liable too!'. Again, bollocks. Every time I come into RAWK now I just see people revelling in the shit we are in. Revelling in being able to have a dig at the manager.

If you think Hodgson is a shit manager, is a terrible tactician, fair enough. But surely the anger some of you are showing towards him as a manager, and I don't mean just questioning his tactics, I mean the abuse, the name calling, the general shit that's getting flung his way after only 11 games, would be better directed at the owners? Or the anger you are feeling as to where we are as a club is being directed at a man trying to drag us out of that, who's walked into an impossible job, who's walked into a job where he's on a hiding to nothing from day one but decided to come here because of who we are, not because of 'one last pay day' (another ridiculous myth).

Whether you think it should still be Rafa trying to drag us out of the mess we are in or not, it was either him, Hodgson or no-one, so why is Hodgson now getting a fair brunt of it?

Most of the fans slaughtering Hodgson now are the same ones who derided the fans who slaughtered Rafa when he was here, trying to educate them that he was operating under extreme and difficult condictions. So why is the new man fair game when the previous wasn't?

In game threads were stopped because they'd be swamped with fans with one line posts saying 'RAFA OUT!' and such. And yet the fans who rightly slammed that kind of shit post are now the ones calling Hodgson a 'twat'. After 11 games. And only 2 defeats.

I genuinely don't give a toss if this post is slammed, feel free. Have a pop. I'm not happy with the way we are playing, the way we are set-up by Hodgson at the moment. I'm not happy with where we are as a club. But that's not the new managers fault, it's the board and the fact that we've been hamstrung by them for three seasons.

I actually read a post today saying 'what's it got to do with the owners?'. Something which popped up regularly, and at times fairly, when Rafa was in charge. 'They don't pick the side'. Yes, correct, But they do make the managers in charge have to settle for second best, they do make them manage with one hand tied behind their back and they do make them have to operate on a budget that is at odds with where we, as Liverpool fans, think we are as a club.

As much as it's not ALL down to the owners, they didn't pick the side under Rafa and they don't pick the team under Hodgson. BOTH managers should rightly have tactics questioned. But to see the amount of vitriol and abuse that Hodgson is getting now, when he's only been in charge for 11 matches, is shocking to me purely because I've never seen it before as a Liverpool fan. Even people in here I thought were decent and level headed have just gone off on gobshite rants.

It's such a shame that Liverpool fans, on RAWK at least, now feel that this is what we do. We have a poor result, and the man in charge, the lackey, the yes man, gets abuse and people lining up to watch him fail and revel in it.

I hope we do get new owners, because I long for the day when it gets back to being about football at Anfield and the main passion for a fan isn't about slaughtering the manager on the touchline (who's lost 3 games in 11) because he was appointed by c*nts.

That's pretty much how I see it, too. I would've given Rafa another season - well another season with new owners who wanted the best for the club. However he went. Then Hodgson came in. He was not my first choice and I have my reservations about him. But I'm willing to give him a fair chance to get his ideas across and I certainly don't think that 6 league games is enough to draw many conclusions. Now I accept that some people don't agree with that, which is fair enough. But the abuse Hodgson gets is pathetic. Criticism is one thing, what Hodgson is subjected to is another matter altogether.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 10:34:56 pm »
The kind of abuse aimed at our manager shows a lack of class

His time as manager is posing me a problem thou -  while i of course want us to improve, its clear from what we have seen that improve means getting better at playing like Fulham and that isnt a path i want for us. So Im left supporting the manager knowing that every time we take a step forward it is a step towards the kind of football  Graham Taylor would be proud of
Agree abuse is not on. There are plenty and I mean plenty of footballing reasons to demolish the Hodgson appointment without the need for it to descend into personal abuse.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 10:35:43 pm »
I find it offensive when people say they aren't and yet are revelling in it when we don't get a good result.
Revelling? Again, a very offensive slur to your fellow Liverpool fans. I can only assume you must have once been a position of wanting a manager out and as a result, you wanted him to lose games. That's the only possible reason why you'd think any Liverpool fan would enjoy their team losing.   

Maybe you should stop acting so precious. Liverpool fans may vent on here, but i've no doubt if any opposing fan talks shit about Roy out of here, they'll defend him as if he's Shankly.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 10:36:35 pm »

No- one in their right mind should hope for Hodgson to fail, beacuse that would mean that the team failed.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 10:38:41 pm »
Revelling? Again, a very offensive slur to your fellow Liverpool fans. I can only assume you must have once been a position of wanting a manager out and as a result, you wanted him to lose games. That's the only possible reason why you'd think any Liverpool fan would enjoy their team losing.   

Maybe you should stop acting so precious. Liverpool fans may vent on here, but i've no doubt if any opposing fan talks shit about Roy out of here, they'll defend him as if he's Shankly.

Im afraid all that may be wishful thinking
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 10:41:47 pm »

Im afraid all that may be wishful thinking

I know plenty that don't like Hodgson and would probably want him gone but when it comes down to it, they back the team and are always outraged at a loss or draw or poor performance. I don't know a single person that revels in a Liverpool loss. No matter how much they may dislike the manager.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline majestic_11

• Remembers Houllier's Champions League winning campaign fondly
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK OG
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 10:44:16 pm »
It is very simple, you replace a manager with a better one or you don't replace him at all.
In no way shape or form, in this life or a million others is Roy Hodgson better or even as good as Rafael Benitez at managing football teams.

And the first port of call for any club when things aren't going well is the manager.

Like it or loath it but the sad fact is in 2004 we appointed a two time La Liga winning, Uefa cup holding manager who effectively broke up a Spanish monopoly.

In 2010 we replaced this man with someone not fit to polish his trophy's, overlooking two potentially better candidates to do so (Kenny & Pellegrini).

I look at it the same way as Charlton with Les Reed & Sunderland with Howard Wilkinson. Neither man should have been anywhere near those jobs and they were not mourned when they were eventually dismissed, the same will eventually be true of Hodgson. The man is not up to it a lot of people predicted it and it's now happening, whatever you say about the support that is not the reason we are playing like shite and not winning football matches.

post of the year....perfect no holes in it and not personal!!!

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 10:44:22 pm »
Good post I think. Agree with most of it anyway.

The times when I first questioned Liverpool fans was when Lucas was booed and when when the team was booed drawing 0-0 against West Ham when we were top of the table in 08. I seriously wondered what had led to this? I don't think it's even a question of Rafa and Roy anymore Paul.

Something is seriously wrong, not just in football, but in life in general. It's all about 'me' and wanting it 'now' and the amount of abuse and anger on this board is terrifying sometimes.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 10:45:35 pm »

The utter hypocrisy of that last comment is astonishing. So it's ok if WE do it, but if any OTHER teams fans do it, well how dare they eh?

66 page thread for a loss. What amount for a win? If you're going to talk about slurs, then maybe don't follow that up with bollocks directed at me. I've never wanted any Liverpool team to lose a game.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 10:49:00 pm »
Agree with everything you said Paul , it has honestly suprised me the sheer amount of people that have slagged Hodgson off so early into his tenure at Anfield , is this really what Liverpool fans are about now  ? I will be the first to admit i am a massive Rafa fan , but that doesn't mean i can't and won't support Hodgson.

Has his start been great , no it hasn't , but that's the key word (start) , by all means if we are languishing mid table November December time , start to seriously question him , but 11 games is just far , far to early to judge any manager on. His tactics this season have worried me , but he is learning about the squad all the time , it feels as though some of our fans are just waiting for every slight thing he does , so they can jump all over him , and it's not just the usual whoppers and keyboard warriors , posters that i enjoy and respect are coming out with statements that i honestly can't believe , for all the great work that has gone into the ownership protests , it's a shame the bulit up anger and resentment seems to be spilling over onto the wrong people.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 10:49:45 pm »
I agree with the sentiments of this post, no need for personal attacks on him. I'm not his biggest fan, don't believe he has the credentials for the position but I will still support the team. I for one do not revel in our failures, the complete opposite in fact, I hope that Roy proves me wrong but I just don't see him doing it.

I hate the way this is tearing the fans apart, and some of the critiscisms should be more constructive and I'll include myself in that. Just seen in the Feedback thread one of the better posters on here is wanting a ban so he can resist the temptation to come back on here to be surrounded by the shit storm of people calling the manager a c*nt, twat, wanker etc.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 10:50:05 pm »
Paul, you shouldn't criticise these people, they've paid their money (for tehir internet connection) and so are entitled to an opinion.

It stinks of shite
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2010, 10:51:23 pm »
The utter hypocrisy of that last comment is astonishing. So it's ok if WE do it, but if any OTHER teams fans do it, well how dare they eh?

66 page thread for a loss. What amount for a win? If you're going to talk about slurs, then maybe don't follow that up with bollocks directed at me. I've never wanted any Liverpool team to lose a game.

Hodgson should not be immune to criticism. From anyone... there are decisions of his that are really questionable and people will continue to question him and the decision.

If you remember correctly last season pages went on and on and on after a loss. People were criticising Rafa and now people are criticising Roy.. but I find it hard to believe that there are many 'supporters' who'd actually want the team to lose.

I'd like to know who these so called supporters are.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2010, 10:51:35 pm »
Agree with everything you said Paul , it has honestly suprised me the sheer amount of people that have slagged Hodgson off so early into his tenure at Anfield , is this really what Liverpool fans are about now  ? I will be the first to admit i am a massive Rafa fan , but that doesn't mean i can't and won't support Hodgson.

Has his start been great , no it hasn't , but that's the key word (start) , by all means if we are languishing mid table November December time , start to seriously question him , but 11 games is just far , far to early to judge any manager on. His tactics this season have worried me , but he is learning about the squad all the time , it feels as though some of our fans are just waiting for every slight thing he does , so they can jump all over him , and it's not just the usual whoppers and keyboard warriors , posters that i enjoy and respect are coming out with statements that i honestly can't believe , for all the great work that has gone into the ownership protests , it's a shame it seems to be spilling over onto the wrong people.

You're posts are the few I look for now mate, always level headed. Along with Chopper, Geoff etc...
There's a post in the Konchesky thread that's GLAD he might be out injured. I mean, how do you discuss stuff with these people?

Offline eoa106

• Kopite
    • East of Anfield
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2010, 10:51:43 pm »

Not forget the great achievement of this manager, and may I quote him, "a famous victory in Trabzonspor". A win in a Europa League qualifier certainly stands out as one of our greatest ever achievements in Europe.
East of Anfield - Proud Territory of the People's Republic of Liverpool!

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2010, 10:54:00 pm »
You're posts are the few I look for now mate, always level headed. Along with Chopper, Geoff etc...
There's a post in the Konchesky thread that's GLAD he might be out injured. I mean, how do you discuss stuff with these people?
Yeo , it's a hard slog , atleast there are a few willing to use a bit of rational.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline smitalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2010, 10:54:47 pm »
Paul, I read your posts often and see you exercising the very valuable function of defending Roy, when as you say, so many others are slating him often in terms of crude personal abuse. I want to debate with you why I am struggling to fulfil the traditional "support the manager" role of an LFC fan.

My problem is not solely that I don't think the current results are good enough, or that, if I'm honest, I'm a broken-hearted unreconstructed Rafanista who is still mourning not only his departure, but the loss of the dream of the future our club might have had, had he stayed.  I'm also a pragmatist and recognise that someone had to come in after him, who, providing he didn't make matters worse, I would happily support. But here's my problem: I think he is making matters worse than they need to be, even allowing for the dreadful and declining state the club is in.

The context here is that we had a truly shit season last year but we still finished two wins and a draw from 4th place and 10 minutes from a cup final, with the third meanest defence in the league. Not good enough for a club like ours but still very very far from being a completely irreversible decline. Hodgson has come in and all I want from him, all I expect from him, is that he shouldn't make things significantly worse. If he improves us, fine. Surprising, possibly, but fine. I am also entirely happy to concede that things might get a bit worse whilst he's here due to the club's worsening financial state and the toxic effect that has on the staff.

But even allowing for all that, even giving him as much slack as I possibly can, I still think he is making things worse than they need to be and i'll give you three examples:

1. He is divorcing the first team from the reserves and the academy. He talks openly of a "B" team, that he thinks is not up to scratch. The style the first 11 play is far removed from that which Borrell will be getting the academy to play. Roy's interests are short term - he needs results now and so had no qualms about shipping out youngsters if he could gain what he thought would give him a short term advantage. When he goes, and even with a following wind he's not going to be here more than 2 years, of that I'm sure, the club will have to remedy the consequences of his disinterest in our long-term future.

2. He is demoralising the playing staff unnecessarily. His comments after the Northampton defeat were cowardly and self-serving. He wants to deflect the pressure from himself and is happy to castigate his players to do that. The result is that we get the likes of Lawro announcing to the world that the squad isn't good enough. Now, logically, is a defeat by a League 2 side a sign that the squad isn't "good enough", or is it a sign that something very unexpected has happened? If we'd lost to  team we were expecting to play regularly, then that might tell us something valuable about the quality of our squad in context.  But now everyone is thinking our squad isn't even good enough to compete with League 2 teams, and that can't be good for those players' morale and self-esteem. Roy could have taken responsibility and deflected it away from the largely young/fringe players he fielded that day. Instead, to ensure that the spotlight shifted away from his own team selection and tactics he blamed them and has continued to do so since. I am very disappointed he made that choice.

3. The way he is asking the team to play is also adversely affecting our stars. Torres is isolated and lacks any decent service, and then has to face a media maelstrom that labels him diabolical and a cheat. What is that doing to his mood? I know the popular belief on here is that the fat pay cheque players receive means they aren't allowed to have emotions or react to the environment in which they operate, but they are human after all. Rafa said recently that Torres was always had the potential to be a star because of his innate talent, but that it was the fact that the team played to his strengths and the fact that the fans adored him that made Torres fly here at Liverpool.  Roy has taken away the team support element, and wants Torres to play a different way - his prerogrative as manager - but you can understand why Torres is struggling to adjust. Similar points could be made about Johnson and Agger, and ultimately what's happening on the pitch right now doesn't compensate for the shackling of these talents. There is a real risk that these lights will dim, without any up-side for us as a club. They'll be less valuable if we sell them, and we'll have done without their talents until they are sold.

All these things make it very hard for me to support him. Does that mean I'm less of a supporter? I'd say not, because my reservations relate to the possible consequences of his tenure for us as a club, but I'd be interested in your views.   

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:59:56 pm by smitalfc »

Offline jangle rovers jiffy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2010, 10:54:48 pm »
Agree was devastated when rafa left but roy is in charge now and some of the abuse he has recieved has been out of order. I don't agree with alot of what he is doing and its only right you can question it but there's no need to take it to a personal level.I wouldn't be suprised if some of our fellow fans where now hoping that we lose just so they can come on here to have a go at roy

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2010, 10:56:55 pm »
I agree with the sentiments of this post, no need for personal attacks on him. I'm not his biggest fan, don't believe he has the credentials for the position but I will still support the team. I for one do not revel in our failures, the complete opposite in fact, I hope that Roy proves me wrong but I just don't see him doing it.

I hate the way this is tearing the fans apart, and some of the critiscisms should be more constructive and I'll include myself in that. Just seen in the Feedback thread one of the better posters on here is wanting a ban so he can resist the temptation to come back on here to be surrounded by the shit storm of people calling the manager a c*nt, twat, wanker etc.

A lot of the good posters in here are being driven away by it mate.

Just like to clarify the 'revel in it' stuff. I don't mean revel in seeing Liverpool lose, I mean that revel in every other post being a dig at the manager, a sly comment here and there about how shit he is and utterly abysmal his tactics are (i.e. cracking piss poor jokes like this -)

Roy's responded:
"I'm going to sit there, and see how good their attack is"

(in response to Ian Holloway saying he'd attack and see how good the defence was). Just loving getting cheap digs in.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2010, 10:57:35 pm »
Don't know honestly.
I support the team but almost everything about Hodgson's appointment and reign so far I dislike.
Don't like his tactics and fear that we become good at them.
Don't like his press conferences both before and after matches.
Don't like his lack of flexibility during games.
Don't like that he has so far not corrected a single mistake that was evident in previous games.

No matter how hard I try I can't see him as anything more then a manager-vulture jumping his one last chance for Big Time, sorry just can't. That is what I think he is and the badge on his collar only makes me feel worse by looking at him.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2010, 11:00:09 pm »
Paul agree with the first bit about the witch-hunt of roy for having the cheek to accept this job when it was vacant( and not before)!

but disagree about the the bigger picture if nothing is done there will be no football on the pitch eventually the club cannot be allowed to be bled dry!

All in all terrific post that can only be dismissed by the people you have summed up well in a too close for comfort for them way!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2010, 11:00:33 pm »
All these things make it very hard for me to support him. Does that mean I'm less of a supporter?

To be fair, I said in the OP that I have a lot of time for people like you mate, if you don't like Hodgson, that's fine with me. And the reasons for not liking him are fair enough.
But you've not resorted to the abuse and the names, and the general shit flinging at him.

If you've got reservations about him, I have a lot of time for that. Because at least you present them in a rational way. It's the abuse and the new manager being called a 'twat' (in a post that actually also said it has nothing to do with the owners?!?!) that I find hard to take as a Liverpool fan. Given the short amount of time he's been here.

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2010, 11:01:26 pm »
I didn't fire Rafa. I hadn't been lining Hodgson up for the job for months beforehand. And I didn't hire him. I don't support the owners or their board, so why should I support their hireling?

Hodgson isn't MY manager. He's not OUR manager. He's THEIR manager.

The fact that he's a useless old duffer is just a bonus.

We need to do EVERYTHING we can to drive the current owners and their employees out of the club. We do that by devaluing the their brand so that they cannot profit from it, and then we build it up again once they are gone. Think of it like fighting cancer with chemotherapy. Getting rid of Hodgson would be a start.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2010, 11:03:56 pm »
Hypocrisy? no nothing like that. It's like family. It's ok to think and say negative/offensive stuff to each other, not ok for outsiders to do the same.

Well done. Try extending the same courtesy to your fellow fans by assuming they feel the same rather than accusing them of things most supporters would find abhorrent.

When you lose there are more things to discuss. When you win, there isn't. That's the nature of the beast. Not worth railing against human nature. You'll just be fighting a losing battle.