Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 501766 times)

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2024, 11:03:48 am »
Xabi probably knows he’ll get time here. To build his own thing. He wouldn’t get that at Madrid.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2024, 11:04:08 am »
I've not watched Xabi's teams play, is it similar to us?

I quite like how Brighton play but is that Brighton's style or de Zerbi's?

I saw a Graham Hunter interview with Adam Lallana talking about de Zerbi and he was absolutely glowing about him. I will see if I can find it and send it to you.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline eyescream

• ewes'cream
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2024, 11:06:24 am »
I think the fact the senior coaching group is also leaving at the same time is an important factor.  Do we know if it's because they have all chosen to go with Klopp (but the club were open to them staying) or because the club know whoever comes in will bring their own team with them?  It's basically ruled out an internal solution, or a solution where the structure stays the same with a different leader added.

I'd like to think the club have already lined up the replacement or are in advanced discussions.  Part of the reason for the announcement was that they didn't want it to break through rumours before an announcement.

My uniformed guess is that the club have already identified the next candidate, have some preliminary agreement and that's why :
1. Klopp made the announcement of his departure.
2. Probably our senior coaching group is leaving because the new manager wants to bring their own staff to the Club.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2024, 11:09:03 am »
I saw a Graham Hunter interview with Adam Lallana talking about de Zerbi and he was absolutely glowing about him. I will see if I can find it and send it to you.

Thanks Jill.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2024, 11:09:08 am »
Xabi probably knows he’ll get time here. To build his own thing. He wouldn’t get that at Madrid.

This is the biggest selling point of all. Madrid is a circus, and Xabi seems much too focused on the football to have either the time or patience to deal with their politics. As he very well knows, Liverpool by contrast is a family with outstretched, open arms, ready to welcome him home.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2024, 11:10:01 am »

Xabi’s from the Basque region which is very different from Madrid. Feelings from the Spanish Civil War still run deep in that region so not entirely a surprise that he has a closer affinity to Liverpool.

To this day find it hard to believe we wanted Gareth Barry to replace him. That marked the death of the great 2008/9 team.

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2024, 11:10:07 am »
My criteria is:
Not a twat
Doesn’t buy twats

This, whoever it is must fit in with the clubs "DNA".
I think?? Alonso would fit that criteria and strangely enough never believed Gerrard would, back at the start of the Klopp era I think he was happy to see Carra and Gerrard leave the dressing room which at the time was often reported as slightly toxic, the opposite seems to be true now.
This criteria makes it much easier as it rules many would be candidates out fairly quickly
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2024, 11:10:20 am »
There was a time when Nagelsmann was hot property, don't sleep on this guy

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2024, 11:10:55 am »
key next steps are what virg and the senior players will say

im guessing we will hear from virg tommorow

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2024, 11:11:50 am »
Both paisley and fagan were unproven. Lijnders has had 8 years pretty much working with Klopp and the team. It's been suggested he has a lot of influence over the team and the way we play (sometimes from a negative perspective).  Massive risk I know but remove the romance/history from Xabi and so is he.

Really wish people would stop bringing up Paisley et al to be honest. Football has moved so far on from those days you really cannot compare them or what they did to the current situation and candidates.

There was a time when Nagelsmann was hot property, don't sleep on this guy

I don't think he ever really progressed from his Hoffenheim days. If you look at how naive they were when we played them, Leipzig and Bayern had the same fundamental flaws - only with better players.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 11:16:03 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2024, 11:13:54 am »
I feel that Xabi is at the right age and seems to know his stuff, anyone but him and I'd be disappointed.
The entire fanbase loves him and he loves the club as well, match made in heaven as they say.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2024, 11:14:58 am »

That would be interesting to see. I'll also say I did (in hindsight) like his reaction to Caicedo leaving Brighton. Obviously knew the guy was a money chasing bellend and wasn't impressed with the way he left  ;D

That said, I'm still team Xabi.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2024, 11:15:17 am »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2024, 11:17:09 am »

Nagelsmann should be ruled out purely on account of his wardrobe choices

What kind of c*nt wears shoes without socks

Jűrgen does a lot  :P

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2024, 11:17:42 am »
How many managers did Xabi have at Madrid?

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2024, 11:18:30 am »
I feel that Xabi is at the right age and seems to know his stuff, anyone but him and I'd be disappointed.
The entire fanbase loves him and he loves the club as well, match made in heaven as they say.

That is where I’m at too I think he is huge favourite for the job and if offered I don’t like he’d reject us.

When you look at all the managers around the world there isn’t many real stand outs EVERYONE is a level below Jurgen.

De Zerbi is an interesting one and he at least have one thing in common with Jurgen he hates PGMOL !

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2024, 11:18:34 am »
The one good thing about when Xabi Alonso left was that it wasnt the usual transfer to Spain, it was more a falling out with Benitez and then the strange Gareth Barry situation. It was different to Mascherano, Suarez, Coutinho, situations. If we were able to get him, which we really should forgetting even the fact he played for us, given how good of a club we are, we should really be able to keep him 5-10 years, which in modern terms is like 25 years.

Wasn’t the fall out with Benitez exacerbated by Rafa not letting Alonso attend the birth of his child?

Online Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2024, 11:19:55 am »
Surely Zidane would be up for it?
alf a pound of braeburns!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2024, 11:22:52 am »

He can't speak English and has huge question marks as to what he would do without having a team of superstars like he did at Madrid. He never really had a style of play or philosophy?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2024, 11:23:16 am »

Probably helped. There's videos of Mourinho during Alonso's playing career talking about how Xabi was going to make a great coach, partially because of it. Eventually as someone else on here noted, Xabi was managed by Toshack, Benitez, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Guardiola, Aragones. But since he apparently also plays relational football its clear he is studying different managers as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX_T1_AYiaQ

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2024, 11:23:19 am »
One I've not seen mentioned is Iraola.

Xabi is the obvious one and for sentimental reasons and how much I loved him as a player he'd be my pick, but that's a heart decision and effectively based upon fuck all.

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2024, 11:23:50 am »
Wasn’t the fall out with Benitez exacerbated by Rafa not letting Alonso attend the birth of his child?

yes that's my understanding, so much different type of transfer to Spain

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2024, 11:24:13 am »
Am shocked at people mentioning Ange,
Think he would be an awful manager for us
Watched them last night and saw that from the first corner city piled in on the keeper but he did nothing.
Said to my son city will eventually score from a corner as spurs are too naive .
For me xabi but will first  enjoy winning the quadruple this year

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2024, 11:24:32 am »
Pellegrini, Mourinho and Ancelotti

Online Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2024, 11:24:37 am »
He can't speak English and has huge question marks as to what he would do without having a team of superstars like he did at Madrid. He never really had a style of play or philosophy?

3 Champions league titles and outplayed us a few times. And Mentality monsters that season that beat us in the final.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2024, 11:25:28 am »
Feel like Alonso is the ideal candidate, with De Zerbi as 2nd. In amongst the sadness of Jurgen leaving, I have had a few moments of excitement about what comes next. Also, I couldn’t imagine how excited likes of Alonso would be to manage this club. We don’t need someone to do what Jurgen did because he did it so well, and has got the team back in track quickly, whoever comes in just needs to have their own style and approach.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2024, 11:26:05 am »
For me the most interesting names would be Alonso and Deschamps.

Don’t really need to explain the Alonso shout - done amazing things with Leverkusen in a short space of time, both domestically and in Europe. He’s a former red, gets the club, loves the city. First choice.

If not him then I hope we look at Deschamps. Hugely experienced as a player, won a French title with Marseille after taking Juve back to Serie A after the match fixing scandal. Took Monaco to the CL semis too in 2004/5, and has won the WC with France. Was pretty unlucky not to retain it too which is rare and a big challenge.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2024, 11:26:21 am »
Thanks Jill.

That would be interesting to see. I'll also say I did (in hindsight) like his reaction to Caicedo leaving Brighton. Obviously knew the guy was a money chasing bellend and wasn't impressed with the way he left  ;D

That said, I'm still team Xabi.

If you move it to about 40 minutes in. I think it's really interesting this whole interview from Adam, he mentions how DB is bringing out the Spanish part of his play the skills, rather than just the running that he was known for here. He also mentions Macca as well, they were very close. I'd recommend listening to the whole interview it's a quality one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=treIqHyo7Uc&t=1936s&pp=ygUWYWRhbSBsYWxsYW5hIGRlIHplcmJpIA%3D%3D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2024, 11:26:36 am »
No thanks.

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2024, 11:26:40 am »
I fucked dry Jan out of the window yesterday for obvious reasons but all that booze gave me bad dreams last night. The worse one, worse than the one about having my teeth pulled out with pliers, was the one with both Hodgson and Southgate in our technical area. That's a nightmare not a dream   :o

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2024, 11:27:07 am »
If not him then I hope we look at Deschamps. Hugely experienced as a player, won a French title with Marseille after taking Juve back to Serie A after the match fixing scandal. Took Monaco to the CL semis too in 2004/5, and has won the WC with France. Was pretty unlucky not to retain it too which is rare and a big challenge.

thinking he might bring Kylian in his carry-on? I could get on board with that ;D

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2024, 11:28:10 am »
Probably helped. There's videos of Mourinho during Alonso's playing career talking about how Xabi was going to make a great coach, partially because of it. Eventually as someone else on here noted, Xabi was managed by Toshack, Benitez, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Guardiola, Aragones. But since he apparently also plays relational football its clear he is studying different managers as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX_T1_AYiaQ

Wow, what a spot on analysis by Mourinho👏🏾

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2024, 11:28:31 am »

Pretty sure he did attend. Think he missed our win away at Inter.

Rafa gets a bit of grief for that who Barry saga. Will always have a bit of sympathy for him because all his transfer decisions involved having one hand tied behind his back.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2024, 11:28:39 am »
IIRC Alonso was Benitez's surrogate captain - the one he relayed instruction to and used to implement tactics - until his wife went into labour and Xabi declined to travel on a European away to be with her. After that, it changed and Xabi was touted around Europe with Barry being said to be the replacement. There was a pre-season match in which the ground reverberated to 'Xabi Alonso' and 'You can stick your Gareth Barry up your arse', which made the supporters' feelings known and the Barry transfer stopped then and there. I think we have a lot of credit in the bank with Xabi at that point. I remember a post-match interview when Torres and Alonso couldn't stop smirking. Still, the experience unsettled him and he remained for only one more, glorious season.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2024, 11:29:54 am »
3 Champions league titles and outplayed us a few times. And Mentality monsters that season that beat us in the final.

The final Zidane beat us in was when Salah got injured and Karius threw two into his net. They then beat us when we were god awful in the Covid season.

Not denying he was very successful - but he knew Madrid, and his tactics seemed to consist of just telling the best players in the World to go out and play. He never had that much success in the league either.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2024, 11:30:01 am »

And getting the chance to build here is the type of challenge a good young manager should relish.

Alonso seems quite a self contained person and will obviously be a different personality to Klopp - a Paisley to the much more ebullient Shankly.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2024, 11:30:11 am »
What Xabi is doing in Germany as a young coach is sensational.

Frankly I couldn't care less whether he was our player or not, would have wanted him regardless.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2024, 11:31:34 am »
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

I'd throw carnys in with that, big hands, stink of cabbage

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2024, 11:32:28 am »
alonso is probably our second best midfielder in the premier league era after stevie g

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2024, 11:33:01 am »
I fucked dry Jan out of the window yesterday for obvious reasons but all that booze gave me bad dreams last night. The worse one, worse than the one about having my teeth pulled out with pliers, was the one with both Hodgson and Southgate in our technical area. That's a nightmare not a dream   :o

Well at least you didn’t add Tindall to the mix so not all bad I guess 😳