Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2018-19  (Read 240577 times)

Online drmick

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2018-19
« Reply #720 on: December 16, 2018, 11:20:51 pm »
If we were only as good in the second half of the season, as Utd have been in this first half- we will finish on 85 points. That's mental.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #721 on: December 16, 2018, 11:52:18 pm »
Does it mean that since we have more 3 pointers left to play that we have some easier games in the long run than city??

indeed our end of the season run-in is relatively straightforward. southampton, chelsea, Cardiff Huddersfield Newcastle (Par 1), Wolves= last 6 games. Man City's run-in is against  teams they should beat as well, but they also got spurs and Burnley and Palace are their par 1s in their run-in
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:01:57 am by Mr_Shane »

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #722 on: December 17, 2018, 01:25:08 am »
If you believe the model, yes
I may be getting ahead of myself, but perhaps we can review at the end of the season whether it would be wise to tweak the model only very slightly to make the targeted point total maybe 93-95. But, as I say, this is a discussion for May.

Offline joe ®

• Anny Roader
« Reply #723 on: December 17, 2018, 11:35:32 am »
indeed our end of the season run-in is relatively straightforward. southampton, chelsea, Cardiff Huddersfield Newcastle (Par 1), Wolves= last 6 games. Man City's run-in is against  teams they should beat as well, but they also got spurs and Burnley and Palace are their par 1s in their run-in

Hopefully all of Southampton, Cardiff, Huddersfield and Newcastle are mathematically safe or relegated by the time we play them.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #724 on: December 17, 2018, 01:10:49 pm »
Hopefully all of Southampton, Cardiff, Huddersfield and Newcastle are mathematically safe or relegated by the time we play them.

That's unlikley to be honest
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: December 17, 2018, 01:14:06 pm »

This graphic has been a great addition to the thread.  Looks like we are 5 wins and a draw away from reaching the goal for away points for the season. 

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #726 on: December 17, 2018, 02:01:33 pm »
APLT Full Table : Matchweek 17
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #727 on: December 17, 2018, 02:02:09 pm »
APLT Analysis & Extrapolations : Matchweek 17
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #728 on: December 17, 2018, 02:02:44 pm »
APLT Revolving Par : Matchweek 17

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #729 on: December 17, 2018, 02:03:21 pm »
LFC Current & Projected Form : Matchweek 17

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: December 17, 2018, 02:42:40 pm »
Looking at the latest APLT graph, I was thinking ... If, at the start of the season, after a few ales and when I was in a really optimistic mood, I'd had a go at sketching out how I thought the graph would pan out to mid-season, in my wildest dreams I would not have imagined a spread like that. That is what it is ... unimaginable. That is what this team is delivering. +5 above City, +8 above 90-line, 14 above 4th place.

... still it will all likely crash and burn against Wolves next week /s.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: December 17, 2018, 03:57:16 pm »
Is there a quick link to last season's final APLT table? Wondering what City finished with. They must have had +12?
And they were around +8 at this stage?

EDIT - found it. So they were at +8 and then about game 22 started to fall and hit +3 then from game 28ish went on a mad run and ended up at +10.

So, wondering how our form and their form are going to be this year. They are currently on +3 now just like they were at a later point last season.

I wonder if this season  the priority for them (if they have to prioritise resources) will be the CL. They have the league title, and of course they'd want to keep it, but I think given the choice of extra training and tactical preparation for a CL knockout game or for a PL game they might be favouring the former. Ditto with considerations of player fitness. Whereas I suspect that Klopp has already shown his hand here, preferring to play his strongest defence in the PL.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:08:05 pm by johnny74 »

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #732 on: December 17, 2018, 04:20:38 pm »
Is there a quick link to last season's final APLT table? Wondering what City finished with. They must have had +12?
And they were around +8 at this stage?

It's in the OP.

Finished on +10. 90+10=100.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: December 17, 2018, 06:22:53 pm »
I think that historically the title winning trend line is spot on, but I suspect we are entering a new paradigm and agree with the need for a summer adjustment. Mind you, we're not at the half way mark yet, so there's a lot more data that needs to be gathered.

PS - I'm delighted with our comfortable win against Man Utd. I really thought they would come and spoil it for us, but we swatted them aside with great authority.

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: December 18, 2018, 01:46:30 am »
It's in the OP.

Finished on +10. 90+10=100.

I see from game 17 last season only City finished with a higher position on the APLT that gives us a measure of how we need to keep going to win the title. They did have a dip around game 26-27 so if they do that again we can put them under some serious pressure. We finished 5 down on our game 17 total.
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: December 18, 2018, 06:21:14 am »
I wonder if this season  the priority for them (if they have to prioritise resources) will be the CL. They have the league title, and of course they'd want to keep it, but I think given the choice of extra training and tactical preparation for a CL knockout game or for a PL game they might be favouring the former. Ditto with considerations of player fitness. Whereas I suspect that Klopp has already shown his hand here, preferring to play his strongest defence in the PL.

I see this point made a lot and it seems more hopeful than realistic.  Look at the graph of last season's APLT - aside from the derby collapse - they probably played their best football at the end of the season, much like we did. 

There's also a good chance we'll be right there with them in a semi final, so any small advantage would be nullified. 

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #736 on: December 18, 2018, 07:18:59 pm »

Prof, you probably explained and I missed it, but on that third one, what do the blue lines indicate? I know combined they represent 90 points, just not sure why the of points isn't all on the aways.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: December 18, 2018, 09:52:49 pm »
Prof, you probably explained and I missed it, but on that third one, what do the blue lines indicate? I know combined they represent 90 points, just not sure why the of points isn't all on the aways.

I believe it’s more in keeping with what would be seen in real life. Whilst the APLT suggests a perfect home record in reality a team will drop a few points at home so the blue lines are actually more representative of the points totals that would be hit home and away
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #738 on: December 18, 2018, 10:18:35 pm »
The blue line indicates the average points won at home and away based on a total of 90 points for league winners.  I did the calculation a couple of years ago, but it's still going to be the same ball park if not the same.  As a display, it actually has nothing to do with the aplt, but it seems to compliment it quite well.

If I get the time and inclination I might recalculate it and show my working for any of you who are interested.

The theory behind the aplt is based on the idea that winning at home is par, even though law of variance says that sometimes you won't, you can't reasonably predict which matches will be the ones you will drop points if you're going to win the league.  If I look at where the league winners do drop points at home, there's no real pattern as to who they are dropped against.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:22:01 pm by Prof »

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: December 18, 2018, 10:38:59 pm »
The theory behind the aplt is based on the idea that winning at home is par, even though law of variance says that sometimes you won't, you can't reasonably predict which matches will be the ones you will drop points if you're going to win the league.  If I look at where the league winners do drop points at home, there's no real pattern as to who they are dropped against.
Just looking at the last couple of seasons...

2017/18 - Man City drew two and lost one home game

They lost to Man Utd
Drew to Everton
Drew to Huddersfield

So they didn't drop home points to any decent team  ;)

2016/17 - Chelsea lost two home games

Lost to Liverpool
Lost to Crystal Palace

2015/16 - Leicester won the league with 81 points, drawing six and losing one.  Very much an outlier

2014/15 - Chelsea drew four home games

Drew to Man City
Drew to Liverpool
Drew to Burnley
Drew to Southampton

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #740 on: December 19, 2018, 06:36:02 am »
APLT Analysis & Extrapolations : Matchweek 17

I love your table, and how it shows why we're so far ahead of City in the APLT:  We're +5 in the 7 x Par 1 matches that we've played.

Granted that City have only played 5 x Par 1 matches, so they have their chances to catch up with us in that regard.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: December 19, 2018, 10:03:02 am »
Just looking at the last couple of seasons...

2017/18 - Man City drew two and lost one home game

They lost to Man Utd
Drew to Everton
Drew to Huddersfield

So they didn't drop home points to any decent team  ;)

2016/17 - Chelsea lost two home games

Lost to Liverpool
Lost to Crystal Palace

2015/16 - Leicester won the league with 81 points, drawing six and losing one.  Very much an outlier

2014/15 - Chelsea drew four home games

Drew to Man City
Drew to Liverpool
Drew to Burnley
Drew to Southampton

The predictability isn't in who you drop points to but when you drop those points that seems consistent.

If you look at the above points dropped, most of those games were near the start or end of the season.

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: December 19, 2018, 03:25:26 pm »
I believe it’s more in keeping with what would be seen in real life. Whilst the APLT suggests a perfect home record in reality a team will drop a few points at home so the blue lines are actually more representative of the points totals that would be hit home and away
The blue line indicates the average points won at home and away based on a total of 90 points for league winners.  I did the calculation a couple of years ago, but it's still going to be the same ball park if not the same.  As a display, it actually has nothing to do with the aplt, but it seems to compliment it quite well.

If I get the time and inclination I might recalculate it and show my working for any of you who are interested.

Thank you both :wave

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: December 21, 2018, 10:17:44 pm »
In my mind we're +10 now because Wolves is for sure a par 1 game.

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #744 on: December 21, 2018, 10:20:36 pm »
In my mind we're +10 now because Wolves is for sure a par 1 game.

So Man City is at +5 then ;)
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Online Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: December 21, 2018, 10:28:07 pm »
*Patiently awaits happy graffikksses*
@Yvanicuzz

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: December 21, 2018, 10:34:55 pm »
So Man City is at +5 then ;)

Oh yeah...damn it!  ;D

Offline McAlvis

• Main Stander
  • We all Love a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #747 on: December 21, 2018, 10:43:40 pm »
I feel Wolves away being a Par 3 balances out Burnley away being a Par 1, us being on +8 is now a little bit more 'correct' than it was before the match.

It is a weakness of the APLT that it doesn't take this season's form into account, but I don't think it is something you can fix without taking away two of the APLT's strengths, its simplicity and that it matches the real table after 38 games.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #748 on: December 21, 2018, 10:43:54 pm »
Probably the most difficult of the away par 3s out of the way. Great stuff.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #749 on: December 21, 2018, 11:50:07 pm »
I feel Wolves away being a Par 3 balances out Burnley away being a Par 1, us being on +8 is now a little bit more 'correct' than it was before the match.

It is a weakness of the APLT that it doesn't take this season's form into account, but I don't think it is something you can fix without taking away two of the APLT's strengths, its simplicity and that it matches the real table after 38 games.

But its the same for all teams so there's no difference.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Online drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: December 22, 2018, 12:23:31 am »
I'd say this season Burnley away will be a much harder fixture at the end of the season than at the beginning.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: December 22, 2018, 12:25:43 am »

So what your saying is you might as well just follow the real table and not the APLT?  I think his point has some validity.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: December 22, 2018, 02:21:51 am »
The trouble is, the pars are set before the season and are based on objective info.  I also don't want to readjust the pars later in season because it'd mean the table earlier in the season is irrelevant when you're looking at it.

There will always be better and worse times to play teams.  Injuries, suspensions, fixture congestion, time of kick off etc. It comes down to how much you want to factor these variables in.

Online drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: December 22, 2018, 10:23:02 am »
We have this debate every year. Didn't somebody even have a 5 game form rolling APLT at one stage as a suggestion?

The beauty of the APLT is its simplicity, and it's objectivity. Burnley being unworthy of Par1 applies to all the teams.

I keep going on about this, apologies, but the loss of that secure mid-table group of teams (like West Brom, Stoke, Southampton) leaving only Everton, and maybe Leicester is what has harmed the APLT.

That loss is probably a reflection on what has happened in the league though (kinda big 6 vs everyone else). If it continues in real life maybe the APLT has to adapt too?

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: December 22, 2018, 10:31:23 am »
Just a quick question, is it possible to display how many points a team is expected to win until the end of the season? I'd expect we have 98 (our current standing in the APL table) - 48 (our current actual points) = 50 points to go, while City if they win have 93 - 47 = 46 points, which would mean our fixtures until the end of the season should be easier, right? Does any of this make sense?

Offline McAlvis

• Main Stander
  • We all Love a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #755 on: December 22, 2018, 11:43:34 am »
The trouble is, the pars are set before the season and are based on objective info.  I also don't want to readjust the pars later in season because it'd mean the table earlier in the season is irrelevant when you're looking at it.

There will always be better and worse times to play teams.  Injuries, suspensions, fixture congestion, time of kick off etc. It comes down to how much you want to factor these variables in.
I think you are entirely correct not to do any readjusting for form over the season. The APLT is a nice compromise in that it provides some weighting to account for the difficulty of the fixtures a team has played which helps give a better insight into how the title race is going than the real table often does; without getting bogged down trying to account for form and the numerous other factors that affect the difficulty of each match. The success of this thread over so many seasons is a testament to APLT's usefulness.

As drmick wrote, the issue I raised gets discussed every season and I didn't mean to bring it up again, I was just adding to the discussion latortuga and Blinis were having about Wolves away being too difficult to be considered a par 3 by highlighting that by that logic we have already had an 'easy' par 1 away to Burnley to balance it out and that this is just something we have to accept as part of the APLT.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: December 22, 2018, 03:52:56 pm »
The APLT is a great way of weighting the various fixtures over a season, and as such it gives a very useful indicator of progress. I love it!

Personally I think it’s impossible to track all the variables from week to week, as you would need to write a new statistical model every week, and even then it would be insufficient. Mourinho sacked? Burnley hungover in Europe? Southampton new manager? 48 hours recovery v 72 hours? Not to mention the impact of injuries and form. And even if you had the perfect model, very weak teams and players do things they aren’t supposed to do, for good and bad.

As I type Andros Townsend just hit a 30+ yard volley in against Man City. That’s not the sort of thing you see all the time! Man City are down 2-1 at halftime, and while I still expect them to win, they have work to do and a straightforward home game has all of a sudden become a puzzle for them to solve.

I see the APLT as an overview of where you stand in the grand scheme of things, as the season unfolds, and a really like it as is. I haven’t tracked it year on year, but presumably any discrepancies with the actual table are ironed out as the season progresses.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #757 on: December 22, 2018, 04:43:01 pm »
Looking forward to seeing this later today 👍
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: December 22, 2018, 04:44:05 pm »
Looking forward to seeing this later today 👍

Not until after Spurs play tomorrow.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves ;)

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: December 22, 2018, 04:56:24 pm »
Not until after Spurs play tomorrow.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves ;)

We're not letting anyone get ahead of us...