Author Topic: World Athletics Championships 2022  (Read 4283 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: World Athletics Championships 2022
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2022, 06:17:20 pm »
Oh fuck the Shoe Inspector is back.  ;D

You should tell Bolt he should forget 9.5 and aim for 8.5 ;D

;D

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2022, 02:47:34 am »

Sydney McLaughlin just took nearly a second off her own world record in the 400m hurdles :o

That's the 4th time she's broken the world record in the last year, incredible.

Her time was faster than 2 of the finalists ran in the flat 400m race!

What an Athlete! Rawk's Mr Imp spotted her years ago

The other youngster I've been keeping tabs on is Sydney McLaughlin, an American girl in the 200m/400m/400m hurdles. She has been busy dismantling every all-time high school record, most of which were held by superstars like Allyson Felix. Phenomenal talent. ...

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2022, 04:03:13 am »
Duplantis just ended the championship with a 6.21 world record, making an American crowd go crazy for someone who decided to represent another nation ;D Basically the closest a human has come to manually launching themselves into orbit!

8.2 cm bar clearance. In other words, it was a 6.28 jump no hesitation!

No wonder I and some other Swedes stayed up until 5 am for this one :wave
Linudden.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2022, 09:58:13 am »
Cracking 800m with Mu just holding off Hodgkinson.

Women’s 100m Hurdles World Record smashed as well.

Didn’t see anything live with the time differences and therefore didn’t really watch any field events. Seemed like a decent Championships overall but give me one hosted in Europe any day!

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2022, 11:30:57 am »
Duplantis just ended the championship with a 6.21 world record, making an American crowd go crazy for someone who decided to represent another nation ;D Basically the closest a human has come to manually launching themselves into orbit!

8.2 cm bar clearance. In other words, it was a 6.28 jump no hesitation!

No wonder I and some other Swedes stayed up until 5 am for this one :wave

Congratulations,he's incredible couldn't believe my eyes when i saw that!

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2022, 11:33:47 am »
Women’s 100m Hurdles World Record smashed as well.

Also got beaten again in the final but was wind assisted.

After the semi, Michael Johnson was intimating that their may have been an issue with the timer or something as pretty much everyone set some kind of personal or national record.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2022, 12:00:27 pm »
I used to think Lavillenie was some boy in the pole vault but Duplantis is making his records look pretty ordinary. He’s the best track and field athlete right now by a mile.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2022, 01:50:21 pm »
It's these modern sticks.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2022, 02:43:32 pm »
Red Soldier ain't going to be happy about a world record being demolished in a semi final.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2022, 02:45:01 pm »
Records galore and insanely quick times from every Tom, Dick and Harry tells you something is different though. You'd have to be an ostrich to think otherwise.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2022, 05:51:55 pm »
Amusan shatters 100m hurdles world record to revive super shoes debate

Nigeria’s Tobi Amusan reignited the debate about track and field’s new super shoes as she unexpectedly shattered the 100m hurdles world record in Eugene.

On a night when Mondo Duplantis also broke his own pole vault world record, Amusan ran a staggering 12.12 seconds in her semi-final to beat Kendra Harrison’s old best by 0.08 sec – smashing her personal best time by nearly three-tenths of a second.

Immediately after the race, the former world 200m and 400m record holder, Michael Johnson, wondered whether the timing system at Hayward Field was off. He was far from alone. However it transpired that Amusan had been given a boost by using Adidas Adizero Avanti shoes, which are designed for 5km and 10km runners, rather than track spikes.

After running even faster to win gold in the final nearly two hours later, Amusan revealed she had accidentally stumbled on the idea of using the shoes, which have extra bouncy foam, after injuring her foot.

Adidas bill the Adizero Avanti as “like hitting fast-forward” and promise the shoes “provide a snappy, propulsive ride with high traction and reduce fatigue, so you finish 5km and 10km races with a kick”. There is nothing illegal about the shoes, with current World Athletics rules dictating that sprint spikes cannot have soles thicker than 20mm – the same as the Adizero Avanti.

Until now these shoes have always been used for long races, but the benefits for Amusan were obvious as she flew high over the hurdles and into the record books. “My abilities are not centred around spikes,” said the Nigerian, who ran 12.06 in the final, only for the wind speed of +2.5m/s to make it ineligible for record purposes.

“I had patella fasciitis at the beginning of the season so that set me back for a while,” Amusan added. “I spoke to Adidas and requested if I could get spikes with a softer sole. They recommended a lot of stuff and I feel comfortable in [the shoes], so I was using them basically the entire time.”

The new breed of super shoes do appear to particularly help hurdling events, with Sydney McLaughlin also breaking the women’s 400m hurdles record wearing New Balance’s latest model earlier this week.

There was another world record at the finale of these championships as Duplantis cleared 6.21m. The Swedish vaulter won another gold medal – and, like Amusan, left Eugene with a bonus cheque of $100,000.

“I’ve gotta save the best for last,” said Duplantis, who beat his nearest rival Christopher Nielsen by an astonishing 27cm. “You get quite a bit of pressure on you when you’re the only person competing in the entire track. It’s an honour when people stay in their seats when it’s literally only me on the track. It was quite a pleasure jumping out there, honestly.”

Asked how he would celebrate, the Olympic and world champion smiled. “I’ll probably stay up kinda late,” he said. “Those kinda performances probably call for something fun.”

Earlier in the day, Jakob Ingebrigtsen made up for his 1500m defeat to Jake Wightman with a dominant performance in the 5,000m. The race was never fast enough to blunt the Norwegian’s finishing speed, and he was able to take the lead with 900m to go and gradually ramp up the pace before kicking for home.

Such was his dominance he was even able to celebrate by pointing his finger at the crowd and easing down before crossing the line. “I didn’t want a sprint finish because I wanted to prove I am the better guy,” said Ingebrigtsen, who beat the Kenyan Jacob Krop into silver by 0.74 sec. “It was a great race but I wanted and I needed that. It felt really amazing.”

Elsewhere the German Olympic champion, Malaika Mihambo, continued her dominance in the women’s long jump by soaring to a second successive world gold with a final leap of 7.12 metres.

Mihambo was on the brink of exiting the competition after faulting on her first and second jumps but recovered well to register a valid third attempt of 6.98m. Ese Brume of Nigeria claimed silver with 7.02m, while Brazil’s Leticia Oro Melo took bronze with 6.89m, a personal best.

Afterwards, World Athletics revealed that the record for the number of countries winning gold medals at one championships had been broken, with 29 countries taking turns on the top step of the podium, compared with 26 in 2017. Peru, Kazakhstan and Nigeria won their first ever gold medals, while India and Burkina Faso enjoyed their best ever medal performances in winning silver.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/25/tobi-amusan-shatters-100m-hurdles-world-record-to-reignite-super-shoes-debate
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 09:53:42 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2022, 05:54:32 pm »
Records galore and insanely quick times from every Tom, Dick and Harry tells you something is different though. You'd have to be an ostrich to think otherwise.

I'm glad someone else has noticed.

Plenty of ostriches around here it seems  ;)

My theory is that World Athletics will not ban them, as Coe wants all the 'questionable' womens records off the book, and the only way that will happen is through doping, or cheating in other ways (technology).

They banned the swimming suits after smashing all the records, but it looks like they wont ban these shoes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 05:57:49 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2022, 06:35:15 pm »
They should ban all world records since athletes started wearing spikes too. Heck, ban all world records since athletes started wearing shoes at all.

All records set by athletes wearing modern, lightweight and breathable fabrics should be banned too. Women used to compete wearing ankle length skirts so anything set wearing shorts should be banned.

Only world records set while competing completely naked like the Ancient Greeks should be acceptable. And they can't be set on modern running tracks either, only on dirt.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2022, 06:35:57 pm »
How many track records were broken though? The women’s hurdles x 2 but any others? Although the Men’s 200m time was very quick too.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2022, 10:41:34 am »
... but it looks like they wont ban these shoes.

Is it possible to ban the new type of shoes?
I'll answer my own question - how can they without a fully equipped material science unit and workshop dismantling and checking every record breaking shoe.
How did they do it with the swimming costumes?  (I googled; it's the length that's controlled - so knee length is fine but not long-john style ankle length suits -  rather than the material)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 10:47:19 am by kavah »