Author Topic: Results Comparison 2015/16  (Read 24435 times)

Offline Jack Slater

• The hard hitting Detective with a drink problem and an eye for the ladies
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Results Comparison 2015/16
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2016, 07:46:46 am »
Updated Title Race:

Looking more like 79 will win it...shocking

Great shout back in January.  Only one team can now get as many as 79 points. 

Without checking, I'd have assumed that this was a total that we'd have achieved quite a few times while missing out on title.  But no; gut instinct can be deceptive.

We ourselves won our last title with 79 points from 38 games in 89/90.

The following four seasons were all 42 game seasons, and we never reached 79 in any of those.

In the 20 completed seasons since the league went back to 38 games, we have only got as many as 79 points four times.

01/02: 80 points

05/06: 82 points

08/09: 86 points

13/14: 84 points

Shows what a massive task ahead for next season.  ie even if next season was another one with a low(ish) points total for the champions, we'd not only have to improve by 20 odd points in comparison to this season, we'd also have to (as a minimum) achieve something that we have done less than 20% of the time in the last couple of decades.

And, of course, chances are that next season's winning total will be much higher than this one's.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2016, 09:53:28 am »
Great shout back in January.  Only one team can now get as many as 79 points. 

Without checking, I'd have assumed that this was a total that we'd have achieved quite a few times while missing out on title.  But no; gut instinct can be deceptive.

We ourselves won our last title with 79 points from 38 games in 89/90.

The following four seasons were all 42 game seasons, and we never reached 79 in any of those.

In the 20 completed seasons since the league went back to 38 games, we have only got as many as 79 points four times.

01/02: 80 points

05/06: 82 points

08/09: 86 points

13/14: 84 points

Shows what a massive task ahead for next season.  ie even if next season was another one with a low(ish) points total for the champions, we'd not only have to improve by 20 odd points in comparison to this season, we'd also have to (as a minimum) achieve something that we have done less than 20% of the time in the last couple of decades.

And, of course, chances are that next season's winning total will be much higher than this one's.

This season may be an odd one, but for reference, I think we can use our 13/14 season: 38 games, 26-6-6. That will put us in with a good chance of winning. No guarantees, but we'll be one of the likely winners. That should not be beyond us. Our last 10 league games, we have a record of 6-3-1. That's championship winning form.  If we think back a season, Leicester needed that kind of a 'miracle' to save them from relegation, but they pulled it off. The good thing for us now is we have shown we can produce the kind of form we need. It's possible. Now we 'just' need to extend it.

I also like Leicester's improvement from 14th last season, to being top of the league with three games to go. That should put an end to this 'no team has ever gone from... to winning the league the next season' that we've heard so many times.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2016, 02:09:52 pm »
This season may be an odd one, but for reference, I think we can use our 13/14 season: 38 games, 26-6-6. That will put us in with a good chance of winning. No guarantees, but we'll be one of the likely winners. That should not be beyond us. Our last 10 league games, we have a record of 6-3-1. That's championship winning form.  If we think back a season, Leicester needed that kind of a 'miracle' to save them from relegation, but they pulled it off. The good thing for us now is we have shown we can produce the kind of form we need. It's possible. Now we 'just' need to extend it.

I also like Leicester's improvement from 14th last season, to being top of the league with three games to go. That should put an end to this 'no team has ever gone from... to winning the league the next season' that we've heard so many times.
Going from 14th to winning the league is not something that happens often, and is probably a one-off.
As to us winning the league, it is going to take a massive, massive game changer. We came close twice but never built on it,  instead going the opposite direction on both occasions in the following season. To be realistic, it is going to take a good few years to reach there now that we have the manager. We should take this season as season 0. A manager such as Klopp can deliver the title within 5 years, but we have to assume that all other factors are there to support such a project. this would mean continuous investment and stability all he way to the top, including the owners. There is no time for massive fuck ups like we have seen over the past 10 years anymore.
So yes, 88 to 90 points are possible, probably by 2020 if we do everything right.

Offline Jack Slater

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 9, 2016, 08:25:50 am »

I think we're at -3 on the Games Comparison.

We can get to a maximum of +2 (we lost  Chelsea Home, and drew WBA Away).  We can finish anywhere between 5th and 8th.

Coming from a very low base (62 points, 6th place) that's obviously disappointing to say the least, but the managerial change has already been made.

We will need to improve by a minimum of 25 points next season (and that may not be enough).

But, at the moment, Leicester is 39 points up on the Games Comparison, and West Ham is 16 better off.

So we don't need to "do a Leicester".  But we'll need to make Rodgers --> Klopp count for more than Allardyce --> Bilic.  I think that's doable.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #124 on: May 9, 2016, 09:03:12 am »
I think we're at -3 on the Games Comparison.

We can get to a maximum of +2 (we lost  Chelsea Home, and drew WBA Away).  We can finish anywhere between 5th and 8th.

Coming from a very low base (62 points, 6th place) that's obviously disappointing to say the least, but the managerial change has already been made.

We will need to improve by a minimum of 25 points next season (and that may not be enough).

But, at the moment, Leicester is 39 points up on the Games Comparison, and West Ham is 16 better off.

So we don't need to "do a Leicester".  But we'll need to make Rodgers --> Klopp count for more than Allardyce --> Bilic.  I think that's doable.

Take into account the injury clusterfuck and the Europa inspired reserve teams, neither of which should apply next season - getting roughly the same points total is more of an achievement this time. Those two factors may have cost us half our extra point that we are looking for. It's not quite as big a mountain as the bald points make it appear.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2016, 11:21:11 pm »
Anyone wanting to make a thread for this season?

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2016, 04:10:59 am »
Anyone wanting to make a thread for this season?

Nope but I wouldn't mind reading it :)
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2016, 07:35:55 am »
I'm another lazy badtard who relies on the results comparison and the aplt to keep sane when all around me have lost their heads.

Offline Woody Boyd

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2016, 08:33:56 am »

I might be able to make a 16/17 version of this. Just testing how this looks in here.

Offline Jack Slater

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2016, 10:11:09 am »

Thanks for doing that, Woody.  There's a thread for this season already, and so you might want to add your graphics to that one.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=329867.0