Author Topic: Liverpool in talks with Steven Gerrard over return to Anfield  (Read 192494 times)

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #320 on: September 14, 2015, 10:35:38 pm »
Really wish he wouldn't release any books until he's well retired

No good can come from it, he really is an enigma though Gerrard.  For someone who claims to be a Liverpool fan he has far too much respect for Hodgson and doesn't really seem to think the cancers were worth taking on.

And does he seriously expect us all to believe Alonso would still be here now if Rafa hadn't decided to sell him?  Maybe if we didn't have to sell to buy Stevie...

Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #321 on: September 14, 2015, 10:56:55 pm »
Will be interesting to hear his views on Dalglish period of management . I'm guessing it will be a little more circumspect .

'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: September 14, 2015, 10:59:06 pm »
 'Steven Gerrard is wrong to say I never liked him at Liverpool. Out of the respect that I have for Stevie and for the value and appreciation I have for him, and for Liverpool and the supporters, I think it's best to just let it pass. I have read the quotes and I believe he is wrong,' Benitez told Spanish television.

'He has brought out a book and now I'm the Real Madrid manager, that sells.'

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:00:46 pm by HarryLabrador »
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #323 on: September 14, 2015, 11:02:45 pm »
Source?
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: September 14, 2015, 11:38:28 pm »
'Steven Gerrard is wrong to say I never liked him at Liverpool. Out of the respect that I have for Stevie and for the value and appreciation I have for him, and for Liverpool and the supporters, I think it's best to just let it pass. I have read the quotes and I believe he is wrong,' Benitez told Spanish television.

That man just oozes class.

It is a crime that he is no longer a Liverpool manager
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #326 on: September 14, 2015, 11:40:41 pm »

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: September 14, 2015, 11:44:48 pm »

I was one of those that thought it was time for Rafa to move on at the time. I've since accepted it was the worst possible thing that could have happened.

That will live with me forever, disgusted with myself.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #328 on: September 14, 2015, 11:49:30 pm »

No good can come from it, he really is an enigma though Gerrard.  For someone who claims to be a Liverpool fan he has far too much respect for Hodgson and doesn't really seem to think the cancers were worth taking on.

And does he seriously expect us all to believe Alonso would still be here now if Rafa hadn't decided to sell him?  Maybe if we didn't have to sell to buy Stevie...

and Maureen and Purple Nose

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #329 on: September 15, 2015, 12:32:57 am »

Media lapdog. It really is sad to read.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #330 on: September 15, 2015, 12:38:46 am »
You see average players like Jason McAteer and Phil Babb representing the club better in public than Gerrard.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: September 15, 2015, 12:53:38 am »
"Rafa made a lot of decisions with himself in mind. He wanted power and control. I didn't like it. Fighting with the board, other managers and the press..."

Yet...

"For me, the ideal situation would obviously have been for Mourinho to have managed Liverpool."

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #332 on: September 15, 2015, 02:32:17 am »
"Rafa made a lot of decisions with himself in mind. He wanted power and control. I didn't like it. Fighting with the board, other managers and the press..."

Yet...

"For me, the ideal situation would obviously have been for Mourinho to have managed Liverpool."

I'm pretty sure the use of 'for me' means in his opinion, not 'for me' as in what would have been best for Gerrard himself.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: September 15, 2015, 04:24:03 am »

Yet...

Some of the words that come out of Stevie's mouth just beggar belief. What can you say... professional footballers, eh? At least he did mention his regrets over not having a proper education - could use it right now (although common sense isn't found in a classroom).

I'm going to resist the urge to purchase this tome of salacious gossip and instead watch old LFC footage where Stevie can rightly claim authority.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: September 15, 2015, 04:55:50 am »
Steven Gerrard has some extremely shit opinions it seems. Rafa always understood the heartbeat of the Liverpool fans and that's why he is so loved. Stevie would be well served shutting up with all this crap or he is going to damage his legacy.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: September 15, 2015, 04:58:28 am »
By the way, I don't see Gerrard's texting of potential targets as a big deal of all, at least he's not appealing to the UN for crimes against humanity like that fucking lot at Barca do.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #336 on: September 15, 2015, 06:27:15 am »
I appreciate that he's put his thoughts on the page while they're more or less fresh in his memory and without concern for whether he's upsetting the fans.

At least it sounds like he's being honest, instead of being controversial for the sake of sensationalism.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: September 15, 2015, 06:55:01 am »
The book snippets seem excellent. I am seriously considering getting it.

Will RAWK go in civil war now? The most beloved Liverpool player since Dalglish against the most beloved Liverpool manager since Paisley.

I'll get behind Rafa any day. If Gerrard can't see that Rafa was fighting for the survival of the club and not just fighting for fun's sake, then it's Gerrards fucking problem.
Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

It's like watching the Dalai Lama snap and headbutt someone.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: September 15, 2015, 07:17:05 am »
I think where as we as fans all loved Rafa for what he did, the players who had to work for him hated it because of his way of working with players etc... We'd love to hear things like "Rafa was the best manager to work under" and in cases he was but because he was a top professional manager who had such a love for this club and us as supporters that the way to repay our support was to bring in the trophies, which he did in the bucket load.

However the fact is, players are very fickle creatures, they want success all the time but they also want the laughs and giggles to go with it. Well the best way to have a laugh and a giggle is with a European Cup and a premiership trophy in each hand come May and you'll have the best type of laugh that way.

I think Gerrard's empathy for Rafa is two fold, he's a manager who worked him solid whilst he was here and i think he was possibly the only manager during Gerrard's high time that had the balls to sub him off against Everton or not start him in matches... sometimes it paid off, and sometimes it didn't, but the manager did things his way.

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: September 15, 2015, 07:26:43 am »

Class answer, I fucking love you Rafa.
Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: September 15, 2015, 08:22:31 am »
When Sterling and BR/ the club were having their communication issues..it seemed weird that they couldnt just have a sit down and hash out all their problems with each other.

Its the same here. Stevie surely has a way to get hold of Rafa...why not have a sit down with him and hash these things out? Its amazing how you can work with someone every day and yet can come across like you were never in the same room as them.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: September 15, 2015, 08:35:11 am »
The book snippets seem excellent. I am seriously considering getting it.

Will RAWK go in civil war now? The most beloved Liverpool player since Dalglish against the most beloved Liverpool manager since Paisley.

With all due respect, I reckon most on here would get behind Rafa.

I certainly would.

Something not quite right about disrespecting the guy that put a European Cup medal on your mantelpiece. Always irked me when Carra has his digs.

And as much as it's been a stick to beat Brendan with, the revelations regarding his time in charge, whilst he's still in charge are more than a little bit shitty.

Keep it buttoned Steven, you're doing more harm than good.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: September 15, 2015, 08:37:49 am »
I'm pretty sure the use of 'for me' means in his opinion, not 'for me' as in what would have been best for Gerrard himself.

You missed my point.  He dismissed Rafa for fighting with board, other managers and the press... then posited that his ideal choice would've been Mourinho, a man who is world renowned for his fighting with the board, managers and the press.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #343 on: September 15, 2015, 08:46:08 am »
With all due respect, could we not keep this thread as a tribute of sorts to Stevie, and leave all the slagging off of true local hero in the various Rafa threads, cos lots of very upset people are just going to repeat their thoughts in here.

Without Gerrard this club would have probably won fuck all in recent history...'fact'

I'll be buying the book, be nice to read the thoughts of a man who thought better of joining Chelsea for a start ;)
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Strong believer in UKIP's domestic and European policies.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #344 on: September 15, 2015, 09:18:37 am »
Haha the reaction by some is hilarious, whats the big deal? Has he said anything that damage or club? Him not getting on with Rafa of the field was almost ten years ago, it is not controversial or will damage us in any way, whats the fucking deal? They performed great together and they both admit that.

Him blaming Rafa for Alonso leaving, whats the problem? 99% screamed Xabis name when we were trying to sell him in 2008, Gerrard was hardly alone in thinking Rafa was wrong in trying to sell him, but so what if you don´t agree with that?

He admires Rodgers hugely and always talk good about him, has he said anything that damages Rodgers position at LFC? Ok he asked stevie to help him with singings, so what? Gerrard also felt a but mistreated about his departure by Ayre and Rodgers, ok, the pressed have already talked about that for a year. 

Same old people coming in here having a go at Gerrard even after he has left, pathetic.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:17:34 pm by Istanbul, 2005 »
At Half time AC thought they had us beat
The Blueshite were dancing in the North Wales Streets
But Stevie G played like a man posessed
And all they have now is their Bitterness!

How do you sleep at night Duckenfield?

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #345 on: September 15, 2015, 09:43:15 am »
http://basstunedtored.com/2011/05/29/rafas-rant-the-facts/

For clarity purposes.
Thanks for that.
Lest we forget... there was some interesting debate in one of the political threads about Keir Hardy going up against Parliament as a lone voice to establish Labour principles. Ferguson was untouchable at that time and nobody dared to say anything against him. If they did he could launch broadsides himself or get one of his cronies to do it. He had banned the fucking BBC for chrissakes! Rafa stood up to him and his undue influence, calmly - not ranting (though anyone could have been forgiven for getting angry in the circumstances). He'll always have my respect for that and we should never buy into the cronyism and revisionism that was used to try and put down the real threat that was Liverpool under Rafa Benitez.

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: September 15, 2015, 10:24:42 am »
With all due respect, could we not keep this thread as a tribute of sorts to Stevie, and leave all the slagging off of true local hero in the various Rafa threads, cos lots of very upset people are just going to repeat their thoughts in here.

Without Gerrard this club would have probably won fuck all in recent history...'fact'

I'll be buying the book, be nice to read the thoughts of a man who thought better of joining Chelsea for a start ;)

What the fuck is that?  "Let's all be nice and not say anything bad because fee fees"

He's a legend alright but acting like a arsehole with these snippets. Incredible, really and people should be able to hear and read about criticism based on what he writes and says

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: September 15, 2015, 10:32:58 am »
Classy response by Rafa. You can bet he's hurt by the comments, so he's done well to let it pass.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: September 15, 2015, 10:36:11 am »
Haha the reaction by some is hilarious, whats the big deal? Has he said anything that damage or club? Him not getting on with Rafa of the field was almost ten years ago, it is not controversial or will damage us in any way, whats the fucking deal? They performed great together and they both admit that.

Him blaming Rafa for Alonso leaving, whats the problem? 99% screamed Xabis name when we were trying to sell him in 2008, Gerrard was hardly alone in thinking Rafa was wrong in trying to sell him, but so what if you don´t agree with that?

He admires Rodgers hugely and always talk good about him, has he said anything that damages Rodgers position at LFC? Ok he asked stevie to help him with singings, so what? Gerrard also felt a but mistreated about his departure by Ayre and Rodgers, ok, the pressed have already taöled about that for a year. 

Same old people coming in here having a go at Gerrard even after he has left, pathetic.

No problem with anything he said.  Some of it may be a tad embarrassing especially reference to having to text potential big signings.  But unfortunately that's the sort of club we've slowly evolved into over the last 4/5 years.

It was no secret he and Rafa never got along, and Gerrard wasn't the only one.  That's not a slight on Rafa, just a personality thing, which happens in the workplace.  As long as you remain professional and successful then who cares.

You'll always have a core on here who'll over-react to anything which is in any way critical of Rafa or shows him in anything other than a positive light.  They're probably the same who've been in the Rafa threads ever since he left, unable to move on.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: September 15, 2015, 10:48:46 am »
Classy response by Rafa. You can bet he's hurt by the comments, so he's done well to let it pass.
Either that or he's aware it's just one man's opinion and realises it's not worth the time and effort.

I have the utmost respect for both Gerrard and Rafa, one's opinion of the other isn't going to change that. 

Offline marto

• Main Stander
« Reply #350 on: September 15, 2015, 01:16:52 pm »

No, he meant that Stevie didn't like Rafa fighting with the board, other managers and the press, yet wanted Mourinho who is famous for doing just that.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #351 on: September 15, 2015, 03:22:43 pm »

As classy as ever Rafa!!

Just stop for a moment and imagine that same scenario happening between Terry and Mourinho, no fucking way would Mourinho keep his mouth shut.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:25:06 pm by Zoomers »
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: September 15, 2015, 04:01:27 pm »
I have the utmost respect for both Gerrard and Rafa, one's opinion of the other isn't going to change that.

This!

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #353 on: September 15, 2015, 04:03:32 pm »
You missed my point.  He dismissed Rafa for fighting with board, other managers and the press... then posited that his ideal choice would've been Mourinho, a man who is world renowned for his fighting with the board, managers and the press.

Ah right, it was in the wee hours so forgive me :D

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: September 15, 2015, 04:46:01 pm »
Keep it buttoned Steven, you're doing more harm than good.

And stop embarassing yourself. You don't need the money and we are interested in your opinions/version of things. What if all your former team mates, managers, etc write about you that you don't fancy?
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #355 on: September 15, 2015, 06:35:07 pm »

no surprise hes acting like a bell, look at his company :D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: September 15, 2015, 06:37:31 pm »
Harsh on James Richardson. Let's hope that company doesn't rub off on him.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: September 15, 2015, 06:46:19 pm »
[img width=600 height=600]https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/11950610_815066725277401_1075540296_n.jpg

no surprise hes acting like a bell, look at his company :D

James Richardson is a top bloke! :)
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline RedRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: September 15, 2015, 06:49:10 pm »

Echo this.

Offline chanti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: September 15, 2015, 07:42:22 pm »
His first autobiography came over as someone who had a big ego

Fook me not gonna bother with the shite in this book

Just gonna remember the throphies he won for us. 

Gonna play it like Rafa.