Author Topic: Liverpool in talks with Steven Gerrard over return to Anfield  (Read 192097 times)

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #240 on: September 13, 2015, 05:16:47 pm »
Really not impressed with these stories from Gerrard, all for a silly ghost-written autobiography for the twitter generation.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2015, 05:22:25 pm »
Lol the audacity to have a different opinion than the fans.

I thought the Rafa facts speech was correct factually but delivered incorrectly, perhaps should have been delivered with a smile, a gentle jibe, like kennys you get more sense from my daughter jibe at fergie, not with the bitterness and venom, specially when the media are owned by these bells, it's as bad as van gal West Ham facts.  Cringy stuff.

Sg in the dressing room perhaps better positioned to see the effects the facts speech had on the players, did it help or hinder? Did it create positive discussion in the media or knowing how much the media were in fergies backpocket create added pressure on all of us.

As for Rafa being cold, so what, I don't think fergie was a hugger either, houllier was a former teacher and knows something about handling temperamental teenagers, and that's what sg was at that time, houllier trusted him, supported him, and helped progress his career, from melwood to captain of course he's gonna sing his praises.

As for the board, again I agree, I think it's fair to say Rafa got lost in fighting the board when he should have focused on coaching.  The day after the champions league final he's blasting the owners over spends, when most of us are licking the wounds about the evening before and what cudda shudder been done the day before. It was knee jerking when a period of calm reflection and clear head before approaching the owners was required.  Rafa was experienced enough to know this having fought with valencias board.

I think he's also telling it how he sees it with Bren and training, again no biggie, it's horses for courses, but I think he's disappointed/hurt at Brendan for not trusting him with a coaching job.  Perhaps he'll look back on this recent event as a blessing as a period away sometimes gives a chance to reflect and reassess goals and ambitions.

That doesn't have enough fume to be a RAWK opinion surely?

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: September 13, 2015, 05:30:17 pm »
I'm surprised he felt the need to say that stuff about Rafa particularly when the "facts" episode distracted considerable attention away from him being up in court. It just feels like he's angry with Rafa for not giving him the arm around the shoulder treatment he was always used to with Houllier.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #243 on: September 13, 2015, 06:07:17 pm »
Really not impressed with these stories from Gerrard, all for a silly ghost-written autobiography for the twitter generation.

Agreed, all starting to feel a little petty and lacking in class. I agree with him on the 'facts' but really, why bother ?
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #244 on: September 13, 2015, 08:28:32 pm »
I'm surprised he felt the need to say that stuff about Rafa particularly when the "facts" episode distracted considerable attention away from him being up in court. It just feels like he's angry with Rafa for not giving him the arm around the shoulder treatment he was always used to with Houllier.

Did Gerrard want a football manager or a social worker? He's like a big kid at times.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: September 13, 2015, 09:08:02 pm »

Yeah I remember it being suggested at the time that Rafa did that to attract media attention away from Stevie's court case. But even if he didn't, it's disappointing to see Stevie buying the media bullshit about Ferguson being 'the master of mind games' etc, and apparently siding with the media over his manager. And there's an obvious contradiction in criticising Rafa for not following 'The Liverpool Way' when he's discussing the internal workings of the club in a book which is being serialised in a major national newspaper - especially when one of the managers he's talking about is still in his job, and under some pressure. Could he not have at least waited until he retired before releasing his book?

Offline Purdy

• Legacy Fan
  • Gobble gobble turkey
« Reply #246 on: September 13, 2015, 09:47:50 pm »
Disgraceful from Gerrard.

Was more embarrassing you got away with flooring someone over fucking nothing to be honest.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: September 13, 2015, 09:57:32 pm »
Yeah I remember it being suggested at the time that Rafa did that to attract media attention away from Stevie's court case. But even if he didn't, it's disappointing to see Stevie buying the media bullshit about Ferguson being 'the master of mind games' etc, and apparently siding with the media over his manager. And there's an obvious contradiction in criticising Rafa for not following 'The Liverpool Way' when he's discussing the internal workings of the club in a book which is being serialised in a major national newspaper - especially when one of the managers he's talking about is still in his job, and under some pressure. Could he not have at least waited until he retired before releasing his book?

Yeah it doesn't sit well with me either. Now I'm no fan of Rodgers as my post history will show but the timing of the release of snippets from Gerrards latest book before the MU game seems really off. Like it was designed to rile fans who are already frustrated, perhaps he had no control over that but if he did then that's not the Liverpool way for me.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: September 13, 2015, 10:40:01 pm »
More digs at Rafa here:

"Benitez, who had been so clever to buy Alonso in the first place, was equally stupid to sell him to Real Madrid 5 years later."
"It was a disastrous decision to sell Alonso, and especially for just £30million. I blame Rafa entirely for the loss of Alonso."

Strange how he has so much hate for one of the best managers we've had. He had Gerrard playing superhuman like for a good few years too.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #249 on: September 13, 2015, 10:52:26 pm »
Rodgers wanted Kroos.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2015, 11:20:35 pm »
More digs at Rafa here:

"Benitez, who had been so clever to buy Alonso in the first place, was equally stupid to sell him to Real Madrid 5 years later."
"It was a disastrous decision to sell Alonso, and especially for just £30million. I blame Rafa entirely for the loss of Alonso."

Strange how he has so much hate for one of the best managers we've had. He had Gerrard playing superhuman like for a good few years too.

Yeah he didn't 'choose' to sell Alonso, he wanted to go. And £30m was a decent price at the time.

I notice Rafa has never talked about all the stuff that went on...perhaps an equally dignified silence from Gerrard might have been appropriate.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: September 13, 2015, 11:25:30 pm »
Any chance he could stfu with this disrespectful shite.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #252 on: September 13, 2015, 11:31:15 pm »
Yeah he didn't 'choose' to sell Alonso, he wanted to go. And £30m was a decent price at the time.

I notice Rafa has never talked about all the stuff that went on...perhaps an equally dignified silence from Gerrard might have been appropriate.
We got fuck all for Rush too, 4mil i think it was. He's worth atleast 70mil.

Offline quasimodo

• Kopite
« Reply #253 on: September 13, 2015, 11:32:48 pm »
Any chance he could stfu with this disrespectful shite.
Hear, hear. Rafa wouldn't tuck you into bed every night. We get it and we've heard it all before.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: September 13, 2015, 11:38:48 pm »

Indeed, I like him better when he keeps schtum and lets his football do the talking. I remember when he waxed lyrical about Hodgsons virtues and how it'd be right for us, I've never looked at him in the same way since. I bet that doesn't make it into his new book either.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #255 on: September 13, 2015, 11:43:41 pm »
Coming across like a right bitter bellend. And for what? A few quid he doesn't need.
AHA!

Offline pink-radebe

• Anny Roader
  • Sharing milkshakes can spread germs.
« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2015, 07:50:27 am »
Coming across like a right bitter bellend. And for what? A few quid he doesn't need.

Coming from you, that means a lot.
Thank you for reading my signature.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #257 on: September 14, 2015, 08:34:38 am »

This is his 3rd book now and the "Rafa didn't hug me enough and kiss my arse every day" theme has been through all of them.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #258 on: September 14, 2015, 09:47:38 am »
So he didnt like rafa.

Big fucking whoop. Keane didnt get along with red nose reindeer.

Sturridge didnt get along with suarez.

Yet they had a great working relationship. Football like any business has their own internal politics and stevie just wanted to tell his side of his story. Not saying hes right on his accounts, but its his book. Rafa could write one book one day and clear his side for his story. You lot gonna turn on rafa too?

He didnt show any disrespect to the club at all. Only to certain people hes worked with. Get a grip.

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Strong believer in UKIP's domestic and European policies.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2015, 09:48:55 am »
Some cry babies here, whats the big deal? He has said numerous time and supposedly in this new book that Rafa was the best manager he had, but they never really got on off the pitch which is important for Gerrard, whats the big fucking deal? And he didn´t think Rafa was right in trying to sell Alonso, he was hardly alone in thinking so, you should have read RAWK or listened to The Kop when Alonso was close to leaving.

And the Rafa facts episode, I don´t think anyone inside and particularly outside the club thought that was a smart move in the way he did it, obviously satisfied some of us supporters but Gerrard is hardly the only one who thought that was strange. But even if you totally agree with Rafa on those episodes, which I actually do, so what if Gerrard doesn´t?
At Half time AC thought they had us beat
The Blueshite were dancing in the North Wales Streets
But Stevie G played like a man posessed
And all they have now is their Bitterness!

How do you sleep at night Duckenfield?

Offline TheRevanchist

• Reports back to Red Cafe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Manchester United fan
« Reply #260 on: September 14, 2015, 10:04:29 am »
The book snippets seem excellent. I am seriously considering getting it.

Will RAWK go in civil war now? The most beloved Liverpool player since Dalglish against the most beloved Liverpool manager since Paisley.
“Ah, yes, ‘Reapers’. The immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in dark space. We have dismissed this claim.”

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #261 on: September 14, 2015, 10:22:13 am »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #262 on: September 14, 2015, 10:23:15 am »
The book snippets seem excellent. I am seriously considering getting it.

Will RAWK go in civil war now? The most beloved Liverpool player since Dalglish against the most beloved Liverpool manager since Paisley.

Now?

Where have you been the last 5 years?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: September 14, 2015, 10:24:59 am »
The comments tip over to the silly side but who really cares if Rafa and Gerrard didn't get on. They can slag each other off if they wanted to. At the end of the day, together they were brilliant.

Not everyone needs to adore each other.

Offline TheRevanchist

• Reports back to Red Cafe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Manchester United fan
« Reply #264 on: September 14, 2015, 10:27:23 am »
Now?

Where have you been the last 5 years?

I didn't had any idea that Gerrard didn't like Benitez, and that RAWK is divided in that matter.
“Ah, yes, ‘Reapers’. The immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in dark space. We have dismissed this claim.”

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: September 14, 2015, 10:31:10 am »
Wonder what Brendan thinks of this.....

Rodgers had Gerrard contact Liverpool targets
Date published: Monday 14th September 2015 8:18

Steven Gerrard has revealed he was appointed “unofficial” negotiator at Liverpool by Brendan Rodgers, including for failed moves for Willian and Toni Kroos.

In his autobiography, serialised by the Daily Mail, Gerrard claims that Rodgers asked him to send texts to potential club targets in order to persuade them to move to Anfield.

Gerrard admitted himself at feeling slight embarrassment when contacting the likes of Champions League winner Toni Kroos personally, telling Rodgers he was “p*****g into the wind” by targeting the then Bayern Munich star.

The former Liverpool captain’s claim that the club asked him to text targets because it “would have more impact coming from me” also doesn’t reflect all too kindly on Rodgers’ lure for star players.

‘I had an unofficial role at the club, trying to persuade some great players to join Liverpool,’ Gerrard wrote in My Story. ‘It was the same ritual every summer. The club would let me know which long-shot target they had in mind and then ask me to contact him. They thought that a request to consider moving to Liverpool would have more impact coming from me.

‘In 2013, the latest player in our sights was Willian, the Brazilian midfielder. I followed the usual routine when approaching a star player we wanted to sign. Instead of calling him directly I always sent a text. It seemed more respectful and allowed the player to read my message at a time when it suited him best. A cold call felt wrong.

‘I slipped into the groove with Willian. I said hello and hoped he didn’t mind me contacting him directly. I stressed how much I admired him as a player and then, having mentioned that I knew Liverpool were speaking to his agent, I used the standard line: ‘If you need to chat or ask any questions I’m available at any time.

‘It was the opening move in a familiar game. The reply came in and the same old conversation started. Willian thanked me and he said the usual, along the lines of, ‘I’d love to play with you, Steven, blah-blah-blah, but there are other clubs who play in the Champions League I need to talk to as well.’ I knew Spurs and Chelsea were also very keen on Willian. So I answered him and said, of course, I understood. But I then went in with my sales pitch. ‘I think Liverpool would be a great move for you. The fans are amazing, the history is there and we’re building a good team. You could do something great here – and we’d love to have you.’

‘I meant it, too, because the club only asked for my help if it was with a player I rated. But I always tried to persuade with honesty and respect and never mentioned anything about the player’s financial situation or the contract he could expect from Liverpool. The next text from Willian was so obvious I could have written it for him even before I read it. He again said that it would be great to play in the same team as me but ‘I’m not sure Liverpool can give me the Champions League.’ He went to Chelsea.

‘It was a game of texting ping-pong that had only small differences each time. Occasionally a player would say his wife or girlfriend preferred the idea of living in London, Madrid or Paris. The clear message was that there were fancier shops and swankier restaurants in bigger cities than Liverpool. I knew then that the deal was dead.

‘Our target in 2014 was ridiculously optimistic. Brendan asked me to take a crack at trying to talk Toni Kroos into signing for Liverpool. He smiled when I said we’d be p*****g into the wind with this one. We both admired Kroos immensely. I knew Real Madrid were gearing up to make Bayern Munich an offer and so I felt a bit awkward when I texted Kroos. The German was on his way to winning the World Cup with his country and Real were the champions of Europe. But God loves a trier, and so I gave it a whirl.

‘Some of the best footballers in the world can also be the most respectful. Kroos didn’t make me feel like I was a total idiot. But, of course, he would soon sign for Real Madrid. We had a nice little exchange of texts and I said well done and good luck.’

http://www.football365.com/news/rodgers-had-gerrard-contact-liverpool-targets
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: September 14, 2015, 10:42:56 am »
Ouch.

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #267 on: September 14, 2015, 10:45:58 am »
Funny story, but when we cant offer high salaries, Londons nightlife and restaurants blabla, Champions League football etc there is not much else to do. It  works on younger kids, remember both Rahemm and Shevley telling how impressed they were when Gerrard called and then meet them to talk them into coming to Liverpool, obviously a bit naive to do it with established superstars. Rodgers certainly had more faith in Gerrard delivering a good sales pitch then Ian Ayre though.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #268 on: September 14, 2015, 10:46:38 am »
"2014 was the time to aim high, why did we settle for Lallana etc?"

"Why did we go for Kroos, we were never going to get him?"

Damned if we do try, damned if we don't.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: September 14, 2015, 10:46:43 am »
Kroos?! ;D

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: September 14, 2015, 10:57:08 am »
I find that a little embarrassing to be honest.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: September 14, 2015, 11:03:06 am »
'In my last season, Brendan Rodgers came to me at Melwood one day in mid-August. We had a chat on the training pitch. He said, ‘You know we’ve missed out on a couple of signings. I’m basically left with no option but to have a bit of a gamble.’

Brendan paused before he spoke again: ‘The gamble is Mario Balotelli.’ My instant reaction was, ‘Uh-oh.’

:D

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #272 on: September 14, 2015, 11:10:22 am »

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: September 14, 2015, 11:16:12 am »
Think there was a discussion last season on whether Balotelli was a committee signing or not?

It seems like it was Rodger's call then.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #274 on: September 14, 2015, 11:22:12 am »
I'm starting to care less and less about Gerrard now.

The move to LA should of given him a clean break, but I bet he couldn't wait to get this book written.

Pathetic really.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: September 14, 2015, 11:23:35 am »
Always puzzles me how a man who served our club for more than 20 years and won every major trophy with us is given less clout by some than a manager who was here for 5.

I'm sure Rafa will have plenty to say himself once he does a biography at the end of his career.

Gerrard is being honest, what's the problem. If he has existing relationships with all of his ex managers but not Rafa what's wrong with saying it? Also, there are fucking plenty of people who don't blindly follow Rafa who believe he made a big mistake losing Alonso.

I'm a rafa fan by the way and haven't got a bad word to say about him but I don't see how Stevie's been particularly disrespectful.

Astonished that Steven Gerrard is being called pathetic on a Liverpool forum.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 14, 2015, 11:28:39 am »
Always puzzles me how a man who served our club for more than 20 years and won every major trophy with us is given less clout by some than a manager who was here for 5.

I'm sure Rafa will have plenty to say himself once he does a biography at the end of his career.

Gerrard is being honest, what's the problem. If he has existing relationships with all of his ex managers but not Rafa what's wrong with saying it? Also, there are fucking plenty of people who don't blindly follow Rafa who believe he made a big mistake losing Alonso.

I'm a rafa fan by the way and haven't got a bad word to say about him but I don't see how Stevie's been particularly disrespectful.

Astonished that Steven Gerrard is being called pathetic on a Liverpool forum.

Always thought that myself but then again there was a time where you would think Liverpoool forums were actually Barca forums and Spanish, even the likes of Carra have got  stick because of his percieved relationship with Rafa .  Some strange people, could give a f what Gerrard says about Benitez and vice versa wouldn't change my opinions of them.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:30:25 am by Coolie High »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #277 on: September 14, 2015, 11:31:07 am »
Think there was a discussion last season on whether Balotelli was a committee signing or not?

It seems like it was Rodger's call then.

But Rodgers told us in a press conference that he wasn't interested in Mario...

:P

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #278 on: September 14, 2015, 11:32:37 am »
I don't get why Gerrard is writing another book.

It's not as if he's struggling for money.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: September 14, 2015, 11:32:41 am »
Some of it will be a cringing read for one reason or another but in terms of timing I am sure there is no better time to come out with a book sooner rather than later. The publishing houses / papers were probably knocking on his agents door the day he agreed to move to LA Galaxy. 
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I