Author Topic: RAWK Preview Liverpool v Stoke City 12:45pm August 17th  (Read 53134 times)

Offline TheVeg

• he might
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RAWK Preview Liverpool v Stoke City 12:45pm August 17th
« Reply #320 on: August 17, 2013, 10:49:07 am »
Forum - (noun) a medium for open discussion

And do you know what I can remember when these threads were that.  Suggestions, counter arguments, nuances, each following on from the contributions made by previous posters.  Taking those points on board and either developing them or dismantling them. 

Add in ten years of Facebook updates and five years of Twitter and you get what we have above.  A page of unrelated thoughts with hardly any discussion whatsover. It is tedious beyond belief. 

So, home debut for Simone Mignolet, can he start with a clean sheet?  Can he start to form the sort of bond with the Kop that Pepe had?
Who do we think will be partnering Toure at the back?  It seems strange seeing a Liverpool side start a season without Jamie Carragher in the squad somewhere.  I think the full-backs pick themselves, but after that it starts to get complicated.  I have hardly a clue from pre-season how Brendan sees us lining up.  Lucas and Gerrard are presumably shoe-ins in midfield but will he then go for four attacking options or will he bolster those two with either Allen, Henderson or Alberto?

Up front, is Sturridge ready to start?  Will he play both Aspas and Coutinho?  Will Sterling get a chance?  Or Ibe?

Fuck knows but I am going to throw my dart at Tony Adams' tail with this

Mignolet

Johnno                 Toure               Wisdom             Enrique

Lucas      Gerrard            Henderson

Coutinho

Aspas           Sturridge

Looking forward to seeing Mignolet's first competitive game for LFC. Always rated him as a shot stopper at Sunderland, but will be interested to see how he adapts to the different system. Think he will do well, but doubt he will have too much to do today, other than make a few passes

I'm hoping, as you put in your formation, that Henderson starts in the more advanced LCM position that he did a few times last year. He seems to play as a LM when defending but comes inside a lot when we are attacking. Giving lots of space for Enrique to run into.

Hoping Agger will start, but if not, I would be happy with the XI that you gave

For the first time in a long time, there seems to be competition to make the squad. Not too sure who will be on the bench. But assuming we go with the XI you put, I would suggest:
Jones, Skrtel (Wisdom if agger plays), Kelly, Allen, Alberto, Stering, Borini

Looks like a really strong bench to me, with plenty of options if we are struggling to break them down

EDIT: One large advantage of having Henderson in the LCM position is that it gives Coutinho a lot more freedom in his role to find space

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: August 17, 2013, 10:52:31 am »
Excited and nervous in equal measure. Really looking forward to it but always apprehensive on the opening day. I don't wanna put too much stock into our pre season, I think the manager will have a better idea from seeing the lads than us.

I have confidence in mignolet, I think he's a big presence and somebody who installs confidence in the back four. Think the crucial thing today will be how we operate as a midfield 3, I think its imperative for Allen to support the forwards if he's that most advanced midfielder. I'd personal prefer Alberto there today because I feel he can unpick the defence a bit better than Allen and also be a threat at goal round the box. We should have enough to win by a couple of goals today but I'm still nervous.

Online has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2013, 10:53:14 am »
so optimism is back on the agenda, the season begins!

i didnt follow the team in pre season as close as previous seasons, too much suarez drama which frankly consumed all debate. no doubt Brendan has been given a sizeable pot of gold to compile a new team capable of top 4 and i think hes done well. toure, in the games i seen him feature, is looking quite vocal and that was my biggest concern when pepe was punted off to Napoli. 

hopefully lucas has shaken off all his rust and is ready for a full return to form. our newest signings are looking great and the goal scoring problems of the past are hopefully behind us.

the opener should be a win, wont take anything for granted tho and just hope we can bag all the 3 points for a solid start to boost confidence.

- all in my opinion of course -

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #323 on: August 17, 2013, 10:53:40 am »
LETS FUCKING TWAT THESE RUGBY LEAGUE WANKERS

PS RAWKS BACK AND FOOTYS BACK  ;D ;D ;D
This is exactly what the food and drink laureate of RAWK is on about.

Right now, he'll be like Jilly Goolden after being offered a bottle of Le Vin De Merde, thats not at room temp and hasn't been allowed to breathe.

FURIOUS!
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: August 17, 2013, 10:53:56 am »
Allen and sterling will start I reckon.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #325 on: August 17, 2013, 10:54:31 am »
Is Dan injured? As would definitely start with him and Kolo together. Really looking forward to seeing Sturridge, Coutinho and Aspas play together. The question has to be Allen or Hendo and the pre season indications would surely be that Brendan prefers Joe at the moment.

He's fit according to BR
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

« Reply #326 on: August 17, 2013, 10:55:16 am »
Don't care how we do it, how we play just want us to win our opening match, been a while we did

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: August 17, 2013, 10:59:37 am »
Henderson will get the nod over Allen I think. We need that physical presence in midfield.

Offline sgt bilbo

• Main Stander
  • I have seen the light and it's red
« Reply #328 on: August 17, 2013, 11:00:18 am »
We need a good start and this is the test we need, we usually struggle playing stoke most teams do but we need to be beating these teams and need a good start cant be playing catch up from day one, we have the players to beat them lets get it done.
Come on you red men

:-) :-) :-)

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: August 17, 2013, 11:02:39 am »
So, home debut for Simone Mignolet, can he start with a clean sheet?
Absolutely. I do not expect Stoke to set up to attack us. They will operate mainly on the counter and set-pieces I would imagine. I haven't seen any of their pre-season or anything like that though - perhaps they are demons of the Brendan Rodger's Death by FootballTM nowadays.

Who do we think will be partnering Toure at the back?
Surely Agger, unless I'm missing something? I think Wisdom as you put in your team would be most likely if Agger is unfit.

Up front, is Sturridge ready to start?
He looked sharp enough versus Celtic. If he can only play 45/60 minutes or whatever, I'd rather give him the opening 45/60 than sub him on second half.

I would love Henderson to start, but I think there will be a trio of Lucas, Gerrard and Allen.
[size=78%]Gerrard    [/size][size=78%]Henderson[/size]
That said, if Henderson is only 78% of his size, I'd leave him on the bench.
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: August 17, 2013, 11:02:44 am »
Michael Owen on BT Sport says hes been told Henderson, Sturridge and Aspas will all start today

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #331 on: August 17, 2013, 11:04:10 am »
Michael Owen on BT Sport says hes been told Henderson, Sturridge and Aspas will all start today

What a dickish thing to do. No doubt that'll be the last time he'll be told.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: August 17, 2013, 11:04:52 am »

Interesting. I can see Henderson playing on the left if true.

Offline redintweed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #333 on: August 17, 2013, 11:06:09 am »
Well here we go! Another season of no doubt many highs, plus a few lows. I'm always really optomistic at the start of every season and this one is no different. We are being written off by all the pundits and that suits me fine. Takes a bit of pressure off.

I actually believe we can get top 4 and play some attractive football. the squad that BR is assembling is exciting. Yes it is probably a couple of quality players short to challenge, but when I think about the second half of last season, I see reason for optomism.

Yes I'll be sitting watching todays game and be praying for a first half goal to settle things a bit, but no doubt with 10 minutes to go I'll have that knot in my stomach as the scoreboard reads 0-0. But I believe we are a much better side this season. A full pre season with BR and the side is starting to become his. The players should be really starting to come to grips with the way he wants them to play.

Have faith fellow Reds, we will come marching in!!

Oh, and 2-0 to the lads with Aspas and Countinho on the scoresheet.

I'd rather play for Liverpool Reserves than Everton.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: August 17, 2013, 11:07:08 am »
wonder who the little twat will really want  to win today?
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #335 on: August 17, 2013, 11:07:18 am »
Some team news before the 11.30 fantasy football deadline would be delightful...
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #336 on: August 17, 2013, 11:09:19 am »
We have three advantages over Stoke. It's not cold. It's not Wednesday night. And it's Anfield.

Thinking about it, we also have a fourth. Our players are twice as good as theirs. And if you like, we have a fifth too. Our manager is also better. Much better.

Clean sheet for Mignolet. 3-0 to the Reds.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: August 17, 2013, 11:09:51 am »
What a dickish thing to do. No doubt that'll be the last time he'll be told.

is any different to what djphal or any other poster does ?

i know how some folk like to batter owen with a stick but thats taking the piss he was asked what his opinion and was and he told it hardly shocking

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: August 17, 2013, 11:11:37 am »
Yep  been a while since ive been this excited about  a new season,  any win will do lets just get that, and march on...
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #339 on: August 17, 2013, 11:12:09 am »
I hope it's true that Henderson is starting, if we want to get at them early, his energy is key.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #340 on: August 17, 2013, 11:14:36 am »
is any different to what djphal or any other poster does ?

i know how some folk like to batter owen with a stick but thats taking the piss he was asked what his opinion and was and he told it hardly shocking

No need to bring djphal into this....  :P

There's a difference between an anonymous poster revealing the line up online and an ex-player using his connections at the club to reveal it to the world on live telly.

There's a reason the club don't reveal the line-up until an hour before kick off - it gives the opposition as little time as possible to prepare for specific threats. Huth and Shawcross have just been given an extra half an hour to research Aspas.

That's what my paranoid head is saying anyway, although yes, Michael Owen could give me £50,000 tomorrow and I'd complain that he's a tight bugger!!

Offline Snoopy29

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: August 17, 2013, 11:15:39 am »
COOOOMEEEEE ONNN!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMEEEE ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
“I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us!” “For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

(Bill Shankly)

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: August 17, 2013, 11:16:15 am »
No need to bring djphal into this....  :P

There's a difference between an anonymous poster revealing the line up online and an ex-player using his connections at the club to reveal it to the world on live telly.

There's a reason the club don't reveal the line-up until an hour before kick off - it gives the opposition as little time as possible to prepare for specific threats. Huth and Shawcross have just been given an extra half an hour to research Aspas.

That's what my paranoid head is saying anyway, although yes, Michael Owen could give me £50,000 tomorrow and I'd complain that he's a tight bugger!!

I don't think an extra half hour would be enough to 'research' a player. I'm sure that stuff is all done through the week anyway.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: August 17, 2013, 11:16:50 am »
I have often thought Djphal is in fact Michael Owen

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: August 17, 2013, 11:17:34 am »
This is what the Guardian reckons, with probable starters in bold. Just as much guesswork as the formations we're posting here mind. I forgot they had Begovic. Good thing is that keepers playing blinders at Anfield is sooooo last season.
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #345 on: August 17, 2013, 11:19:33 am »
Be interesting to see what impact Hughes has had on Stoke. When he was our manager, his crucial failing was his inability to organise a defence. As defensive solidity was just about the only thing Stoke had going for them under Pulis, that failing could be a problem. Also we were incredibly poor away from home under him. You really should win this today.

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #346 on: August 17, 2013, 11:19:47 am »
I don't think an extra half hour would be enough to 'research' a player. I'm sure that stuff is all done through the week anyway.

I don't mean Mark Hughes his there scratching is head thinking "who is Aspas?".

They may have thought Aspas would have started on the bench so spent the week concentrating on other threats while paying minimal attention to Aspas. But they now have an opportunity to go through the dossiers their scouts would have prepared on him in much more detail.

But don't mind me, only the paranoid ramblings of a madman...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:22:10 am by tommyLFC »

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: August 17, 2013, 11:20:25 am »
Early team news is that apparently we're going to get in their arse and make it our home.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #348 on: August 17, 2013, 11:21:38 am »
We haven't won an opening day match since 2008/09.

Five bloody years. Here's hoping that run ends today.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #349 on: August 17, 2013, 11:22:16 am »
I have often thought Djphal is in fact Michael Owen
Fucking hell, that's harsh, mate.   ???
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: August 17, 2013, 11:22:57 am »
Cannot. Fucking. Wait.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #351 on: August 17, 2013, 11:23:16 am »
Luis Alberto, Jordan Ibe and Borini will be on the bench.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #352 on: August 17, 2013, 11:24:18 am »
Pretty sure it'll be

Mignolet

Johnson    Toure    Agger    Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard    Henderson

Aspas    Sturridge    Coutinho
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #353 on: August 17, 2013, 11:24:30 am »
Breaking news: Colin Pascoe will be on the bench

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: August 17, 2013, 11:24:42 am »
Early team news is that apparently we're going to get in their arse and make it our home.

Sounds more like a formation to me. Do we know who's playing up top yet?
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #355 on: August 17, 2013, 11:25:33 am »
Pretty sure it'll be

Mignolet

Johnson    Toure    Agger    Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard    Henderson

Aspas    Sturridge    Coutinho

If Owen is correct then that will be the team.

Surprised Allen is not starting though.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online TobyLFC

• or not Toby LFC, that is the question
  • Kopite
  • Golf is amazing!
« Reply #356 on: August 17, 2013, 11:26:41 am »
Let's get off to a flyer!

Liverpool F.C. 2 - 0 Stoke City F.C.

Gerrard 24'
Sturridge 65'

YNWA!
it comes down to reality, and it's fine with me cause I've let it slide...

Online CognacBut

• BrandyAss
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: August 17, 2013, 11:27:03 am »
This is a prematch thread.

I have nothing to moan about this early in the season so I am going to go with the fact it is a bit cloudy here.

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #358 on: August 17, 2013, 11:27:18 am »

Surprised Allen is not starting though.

Stoke would literally eat him.

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: August 17, 2013, 11:28:00 am »
Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Aspas, Coutinho, Sturridge.