Author Topic: Archaeologists discover a lost world of 417 ancient Mayan Cities  (Read 1214 times)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Scientists in Guatemala have discovered "the first freeway system in the world," The Washington Post reports.

In an interview with the Post, researchers from a joint US-Guatemalan archaeological study published in the Cambridge University Press in December said they had uncovered 417 cities dating back roughly 3,000 years, interconnected by 110 miles of "superhighways."

This discovery is making historians rethink what they know of ancient Mayan civilization. The discovery of a network of roads and cities, hydraulic systems, and agricultural infrastructure suggests that communities living in Central America were now more advanced than given credit for, the Post reports.

Per the paper, these findings reflect "socio-economic organization and political power."

The lost world dates as far as 1,000 B.C. to the pre-classic epoch of the Mayans, which had previously been considered a nomadic, hunter-gather society.

This discovery from the El Mirador jungle region in southern Guatemala is a "game changer," Richard Hansen, lead author of the study and affiliate research professor of archaeology at Idaho State University, told the Post.

The find is in a remote tropical jungle on the Mexico-Guatemala border. It is only accessible by helicopter to a challenging 40 miles hike through dense, Jaguar and snake-filled rainforest, said the Post.

"We now know that the Preclassic period was one of extraordinary complexity and architectural sophistication, with some of the largest buildings in world history being constructed during this time," said Hansen.

The findings have unveiled "a whole volume of human history that we've never known," he told the Post.

The team, with scientists from the US and Guatemala, has been mapping the areas in Central America since 2015 and has used lidar technology — a key archaeological laser mapping technique — to reveal the finest details, such as ancient vegetation.

It allowed the scientists to see ancient dams, reservoirs, pyramids, platforms, causeway networks, and even ball courts, per the study.

Archaeologist at San Carlos University in Guatemala City and co-author of the paper, Enrique Hernández, told the Post that after further work on this project, it could be as influential of a historical discovery as the Egyptian pyramids.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/archaeologists-discover-a-lost-world-of-417-ancient-mayans-cities-buried-in-remote-jungle-connected-by-miles-of-superhighways-wapo-reports/ar-AA1btzqQ?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=cc8ff3ccd1054cfba13292a66da02360&ei=46
Kill the humourless

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Archaeologists discover a lost world of 417 ancient Mayan Cities
« Reply #1 on: April 1, 2024, 04:17:12 pm »
So cool, still so much to unearth about our past.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2 on: April 1, 2024, 11:42:35 pm »
Does this mean that Graham Hancock isn't as daft as he sounds 🤔

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 1, 2024, 11:59:11 pm »

He will love this. Another non European, non white civilization for him to say made by ancient (white) Atlantians, or Aliens...because they couldn't make this themselves

This has provided him with decades more worth of grift

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 2, 2024, 12:03:59 am »
Scientists in Guatemala have discovered "the first freeway system in the world," The Washington Post reports.

In an interview with the Post, researchers from a joint US-Guatemalan archaeological study published in the Cambridge University Press in December said they had uncovered 417 cities dating back roughly 3,000 years, interconnected by 110 miles of "superhighways."

This discovery is making historians rethink what they know of ancient Mayan civilization. The discovery of a network of roads and cities, hydraulic systems, and agricultural infrastructure suggests that communities living in Central America were now more advanced than given credit for, the Post reports.

Per the paper, these findings reflect "socio-economic organization and political power."

The lost world dates as far as 1,000 B.C. to the pre-classic epoch of the Mayans, which had previously been considered a nomadic, hunter-gather society.

This discovery from the El Mirador jungle region in southern Guatemala is a "game changer," Richard Hansen, lead author of the study and affiliate research professor of archaeology at Idaho State University, told the Post.

The find is in a remote tropical jungle on the Mexico-Guatemala border. It is only accessible by helicopter to a challenging 40 miles hike through dense, Jaguar and snake-filled rainforest, said the Post.

"We now know that the Preclassic period was one of extraordinary complexity and architectural sophistication, with some of the largest buildings in world history being constructed during this time," said Hansen.

The findings have unveiled "a whole volume of human history that we've never known," he told the Post.

The team, with scientists from the US and Guatemala, has been mapping the areas in Central America since 2015 and has used lidar technology — a key archaeological laser mapping technique — to reveal the finest details, such as ancient vegetation.

It allowed the scientists to see ancient dams, reservoirs, pyramids, platforms, causeway networks, and even ball courts, per the study.

Archaeologist at San Carlos University in Guatemala City and co-author of the paper, Enrique Hernández, told the Post that after further work on this project, it could be as influential of a historical discovery as the Egyptian pyramids.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/archaeologists-discover-a-lost-world-of-417-ancient-mayans-cities-buried-in-remote-jungle-connected-by-miles-of-superhighways-wapo-reports/ar-AA1btzqQ?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=cc8ff3ccd1054cfba13292a66da02360&ei=46

Mesoamerican culture is so fascinating and still feels like there is so much still to know.

The level of advancement of this culture is wild for the time when you compare it to future civilizations, in terms of math, astrology, city building, and technology. They seem millennia ahead of post-Roman Europe

Fantastic stuff

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #5 on: April 2, 2024, 10:18:46 am »
And Astronomy. ;)
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 2, 2024, 11:38:49 am »
And Astronomy. ;)

I get those two mixed up all the time my apologies  ;D

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 2, 2024, 12:19:28 pm »
The highways thing is really interesting given that the traditional view has been that the pre-Columbian civilizations did not have wheeled transport. Does movement on foot need paved routes?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #8 on: April 2, 2024, 12:55:03 pm »
The highways thing is really interesting given that the traditional view has been that the pre-Columbian civilizations did not have wheeled transport. Does movement on foot need paved routes?

It's always useful to go to the source rather than press releases and headlines. The paper describes them as causeways, not highways, and there aren't 417 cities, there are are 417 cities, towns and villages. This is the sort of overhyped reporting that feeds into garbage like Hancock and other Ancient Mysteries nonsense on Netflix and the History Channel.

This is fascinating stuff in its own right but it's evidence of widespread pre-classical inhabitation, not a secret lost civilisation.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 2, 2024, 01:25:35 pm »
Here's a less overhyped account of the causeways

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/16/world/maya-civilization-causeways-lidar-discovery-scn/index.html

So not paved roads but definitely big projects. Maybe twice as big as something like Offa's Dyke which is c. 1000years later.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 2, 2024, 02:47:09 pm »
Interesting discovery which leads us to more questions,than there are answers in relation to the generally accepted history of human civilizations.

Slightly off topic but to put it in perspective our current civilization is generally believed to of been going for about 4 or 5 thousand years
and its only in the last 75 years that we've had the technology to bring it to an end...
(Splitting the atom and the speed of which we can spread disease around the globe spring to mind.)
And thats without natural causes ie ice ages, meteor impacts, tectonic shifts etc 

Modern Humans have been here for about 200,000 years and it's commonly thought we just hunted, gathered and sat on our arses for 195,000 of those years. It doesn't make sense does it ? Given we've come so far in just  5,000 years.
In effect Humans have had time to reach our current levels of technology and beyond many times over...
Before it all goes to shit.

Well he certainly ruffles the feathers of the academic institutions The war of words between the academically trained and the autodidactics
is all a bit handbags at dawn if you ask me...Which reminds me of "Handbags of the gods"  ;)

Anyway an interesting documentary which gives food for thought for those of us with enquiring minds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxV4w2yzeg

I was taught Pythagoras discovered the Pythagorean Theorem and the French invented the metric system...
Did they ?  Some interesting implications regarding the metric system if they didn't.   

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: April 2, 2024, 03:17:08 pm »

Anyway an interesting documentary which gives food for thought for those of us with enquiring minds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxV4w2yzeg

You can have an enquiring mind without silly YouTube documentaries.
Ye wha la.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 2, 2024, 03:26:50 pm »
I took a very brief look, but it had the unmistakable aroma of bullshit about it.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 2, 2024, 04:35:40 pm »
Given Youtube has only been around since someone visited a zoo around 20 years ago.
And enquiring minds have been around for who knows, how many thousands of years...
I agree with you...So give yourself a pat on the back, your invaluable observations need
recording for future generation to learn from.     

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 3, 2024, 12:54:58 am »
I took a very brief look, but it had the unmistakable aroma of bullshit about it.

It has the same kind of whiff as stuff that gets posted in the UAP thread.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 3, 2024, 03:16:05 am »
Mesoamerican culture is so fascinating and still feels like there is so much still to know.

The level of advancement of this culture is wild for the time when you compare it to future civilizations, in terms of math, astrology, city building, and technology. They seem millennia ahead of post-Roman Europe

Fantastic stuff
I have always wondered how Tenochtitlan looked like.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 3, 2024, 01:12:51 pm »
I have always wondered how Tenochtitlan looked like.

Same. How it is described sounds like a true wonder.

It's sad that the prevailing image of this culture is shaped by the colonialists, as savages and barbarians. When you actually see some of the research in their knowledge and the complexity of surviving structures, it's probably going to be cities that are similar in scale and sophistication to 15th century Japanese cities.

It may be bias of sources but it does seem that Mesoamerican culture had more sophisticated civilization that the European conquistadors in all but exploration and warfare (which spelled their doom)

I also understand that a prevailing theme of these cultures was they were significantly more hygienic than the Europeans.

I also want to know, what exactly did the Aztecs do that was so horrendous that literally every other culture in the area joined forces with the Spanish to overthrow them as the dominant force of the region.

Offline RedGuy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 3, 2024, 01:21:12 pm »
The Rest is History has a great 8 part series on the fall of the Aztecs

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 3, 2024, 02:03:15 pm »

Second that. It was one of my favourite series on The Rest is History.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #19 on: April 3, 2024, 03:37:05 pm »

Absolutely. They point to primary sources noting how the conquistadors marvelled at the beauty of a city they would soon destroy

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #20 on: April 3, 2024, 09:48:03 pm »
Second that. It was one of my favourite series on The Rest is History.
Many is the time that I have dressed as a parrot when I’m losing an argument off the back of that
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 4, 2024, 10:23:16 am »
Same. How it is described sounds like a true wonder.

It's sad that the prevailing image of this culture is shaped by the colonialists, as savages and barbarians. When you actually see some of the research in their knowledge and the complexity of surviving structures, it's probably going to be cities that are similar in scale and sophistication to 15th century Japanese cities.

It may be bias of sources but it does seem that Mesoamerican culture had more sophisticated civilization that the European conquistadors in all but exploration and warfare (which spelled their doom)

I also understand that a prevailing theme of these cultures was they were significantly more hygienic than the Europeans.

I also want to know, what exactly did the Aztecs do that was so horrendous that literally every other culture in the area joined forces with the Spanish to overthrow them as the dominant force of the region.
The cannibalism didn't help.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22 on: April 4, 2024, 10:27:24 am »
The aztecs weren’t native to the area.

They came from around what is now California

There is a great book by Camilla Townsend called 5th Sun about them.  It’s brilliant.  Those less interested in factual accuracy can go to YouTube of course
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 4, 2024, 11:23:00 am »

There is a great book by Camilla Townsend called 5th Sun about them.  It’s brilliant.  Those less interested in factual accuracy can go to YouTube of course
My reading on this subject is probably well out of date by now, but The Conquest of Mexico by William H prescott was an amazing read. It was almost like sci-fi, with the world beating Spanish coming up against a massive organised and warlike stone age Aztec culture. The Spanish of course had many first hand, eye-witness, blow by blow written accounts (as ever). Best book I read on the subject by a country mile.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 4, 2024, 05:32:14 pm »

A rather snobby and dismissive view of youtube there if you dont mind me saying Tepid... Its an entirely natural reaction given 99% of whats on there is shite opinions dressed as fact. Which in itself is entirely natural given all opinions contain bias and if you couple that with pride pushing the belief they know something to be a fact rather than theory ... Thats Human nature.

If you want to see accuracy or precision watch that doc I posted by Jahanna James. It's all about accuracy and precision It's quite educational, it's free of supposition and she doesn't claim to have the answers to the awkward questions she's asking.
That kind of thing is generally left to the academic experts who appear to be either unwilling or unable ( Im thinking the latter ) to answer the questions she asks.. An entirely natural reaction linked to pride, more prevalent  among males and especially those who think of themselves as experts...Thats Human nature for you.

Of the experts featured in the doc the most common conclusion/answer to the evidence right in front of them is... "it doesnt make sense". They dont have the answers but at least it's an honest conclusion.

One of the main question asked is why is the newer stuff less precise and accurate than the much older stuff.
Why are the tools used on the newer stuff inferior to whatever was used on the older stuff.
It's entirely natural for our tools to evolve and make things easier, along with our accuracy and precision...
That's human nature for you.

PS
Sorry for somewhat derailing your thread Jambutty.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 4, 2024, 06:17:13 pm »
A rather snobby and dismissive view of youtube there if you dont mind me saying Tepid... Its an entirely natural reaction given 99% of whats on there is shite opinions dressed as fact. Which in itself is entirely natural given all opinions contain bias and if you couple that with pride pushing the belief they know something to be a fact rather than theory ... Thats Human nature.

If you want to see accuracy or precision watch that doc I posted by Jahanna James. It's all about accuracy and precision It's quite educational, it's free of supposition and she doesn't claim to have the answers to the awkward questions she's asking.
That kind of thing is generally left to the academic experts who appear to be either unwilling or unable ( Im thinking the latter ) to answer the questions she asks.. An entirely natural reaction linked to pride, more prevalent  among males and especially those who think of themselves as experts...Thats Human nature for you.

Of the experts featured in the doc the most common conclusion/answer to the evidence right in front of them is... "it doesnt make sense". They dont have the answers but at least it's an honest conclusion.

One of the main question asked is why is the newer stuff less precise and accurate than the much older stuff.
Why are the tools used on the newer stuff inferior to whatever was used on the older stuff.
It's entirely natural for our tools to evolve and make things easier, along with our accuracy and precision...
That's human nature for you.

PS
Sorry for somewhat derailing your thread Jambutty.
:rollseyes  :lmao

I'd tell you to take keep taking the tablets, but they are clearly not working.

https://www.facebook.com/funnyoldeworld/videos/384860707783311/
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.