Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1234598 times)

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #400 on: June 23, 2012, 11:00:56 pm »
been watchin that hit & miss, not bad
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #401 on: June 23, 2012, 11:20:40 pm »
If you want a show that's entertaining enough, but not fantastic, or close to fantastic, but does contain certain material most male RAWKites will enjoy, take a look at Showtime Australia's Satisfaction. I'll say no more.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #402 on: June 23, 2012, 11:43:51 pm »
If you want a show that's entertaining enough, but not fantastic, or close to fantastic, but does contain certain material most male RAWKites will enjoy, take a look at Showtime Australia's Satisfaction. I'll say no more.
Spoiler
The series set in a brothel?
[close]
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: June 24, 2012, 12:06:06 am »
Spoiler
The series set in a brothel?
[close]
yes.

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #404 on: June 24, 2012, 12:55:16 am »
currently watching how to make it in america and always sunny in philadelphia, both very enjoyable
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Pheeny

« Reply #405 on: June 24, 2012, 03:45:05 pm »
quick reminder folks,please don't post torrent links thanks.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #406 on: June 24, 2012, 03:58:50 pm »
quick reminder folks,please don't post torrent links thanks.
I think it's mostly me T.Do you want me to remove them mate?

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Pheeny

« Reply #407 on: June 24, 2012, 04:01:12 pm »
no Dave just don't post any more thanks.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #408 on: June 24, 2012, 04:02:55 pm »
no Dave just don't post any more thanks.
Certainly mate.Sorry about that.

Online tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: June 26, 2012, 02:46:06 pm »
I always recommend Braquo to people looking for a new show.To compare it to a show most people have seen,I'd say it's like The Shield,except it's French and much,much better.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1429534/
although good i found the second season to be a bit rushed..
Madmen, just finished the forth series, i'm totally hooked but couldn't tell you why???
currently watching spirals, another top police show

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #410 on: June 26, 2012, 05:48:22 pm »
although good i found the second season to be a bit rushed..
Madmen, just finished the forth series, i'm totally hooked but couldn't tell you why???
currently watching spirals, another top police show
Spiral is special.My favourite Euro cop programme,it's obvious that's influenced by The Wire and The Shield,yet it,s never formulaic like The Shield became.IMO.

It does have the same brilliant high standard's The Wire had though throughout all three season's

Also,I've never been to most of those part's of Paris.

If you like foreign police show's I can recommend this.There's a link to a download just up the page.I'ts a brilliant Danish show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383164/

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #411 on: July 1, 2012, 10:49:43 pm »
Anybody here seen Borgia?

Come across it today and it look's interesting.Give me a shout if you've seen it.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: July 2, 2012, 10:18:00 am »
Anybody here seen Borgia?

Come across it today and it look's interesting.Give me a shout if you've seen it.

I liked it. Pretty fun, there was usually something to really enjoy in each episode and grew quite fond of one or two of the side characters. Not great or anything, watched a lot of better stuff, but enjoyable.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #413 on: July 4, 2012, 06:28:01 pm »
I liked it. Pretty fun, there was usually something to really enjoy in each episode and grew quite fond of one or two of the side characters. Not great or anything, watched a lot of better stuff, but enjoyable.
Magic,was it Borgia or The Borgia's that you watched?

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: July 6, 2012, 06:56:11 pm »
The Borgia's. You mean there is more then one show? Sorry about that :-[

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #415 on: July 6, 2012, 07:16:37 pm »
The Borgia's. You mean there is more then one show? Sorry about that :-[
Yeah.Borgia is this.It's produced by Tom Fontana,the guy behind Homicide,Oz and St Elsewhere.Three of my favourite show's.This is a French version,so hopefully will be less sanitised than The Borgias.Also this is who play's the lead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1736341/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0231283/
« Last Edit: July 6, 2012, 08:34:20 pm by dave 5516 »

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: July 6, 2012, 08:33:25 pm »
Can't remember who it was but someone ruined the end of Dexter for me by posting the ending in here, to who ever it was thanks a lot:P

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: July 7, 2012, 03:35:27 pm »
The first 2 episodes of the newsroom have been great. It's definitely a bit....new, some of the scenes they've tried to make a little too exciting when they don't need to be, some of the acting has been a little iffy but I think when they find their rhythm this'll be a really good watch.

The lead character played by Jeff Daniels is really fascinating to watch although I'm yet to be convinced by the lead female played by Emily Mortimer. Time will tell I do suppose. I would definitely recommend giving it a watch though.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: July 7, 2012, 06:12:29 pm »
I was going to watch Newsroom but now I'm not sure. Not seen much of Sorkin's work before I believe, the alright film The American President and the entertaining Sports Night being about it, but the latter combined with the premise+trailer for the new show made me interested. Then the reviews from America and now the English media have poured in and it sounds like the female characters are there to be inferior to the males and the show is about a lot of moralizing lectures.

Yeah.Borgia is this.It's produced by Tom Fontana,the guy behind Homicide,Oz and St Elsewhere.Three of my favourite show's.This is a French version,so hopefully will be less sanitised than The Borgias.Also this is who play's the lead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1736341/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0231283/

Sorry. Sounds intresting though
« Last Edit: July 7, 2012, 06:17:35 pm by MagicHat »

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: July 7, 2012, 06:16:01 pm »
I was going to watch Newsroom but now I'm not sure. Not seen much of Sorkin's work before I believe, the alright film The American President and the entertaining Sports Night being about it, but the latter combined with the premise+trailer for the new show made me interested. Then the reviews from America and now the English media have poured in and it sounds like the female characters are there to be inferior to the males and the show is about a lot of moralizing lectures.

Sorry, sorry. Sounds intresting though

One of the most powerful people on the show is a female. Not really sure where they're coming from with that. As for moralizing lectures, not on the evidence I've seen. He has a bit of a rant at the start but that's more to do with him kinda blowing a fuse & that then sets the scene for them revolutionising the way they deliver news. I'd check it out for yourself.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: July 7, 2012, 06:20:50 pm »
One of the most powerful people on the show is a female. Not really sure where they're coming from with that. As for moralizing lectures, not on the evidence I've seen. He has a bit of a rant at the start but that's more to do with him kinda blowing a fuse & that then sets the scene for them revolutionising the way they deliver news. I'd check it out for yourself.

As I understand it, they feel the main purpose of the females is 1) despite their supposed competence/position, to sit there and receive lecture after lecture from the males, 2) be love interests, 3) boost the great news reader/Moses.

Maybe the rants come later along with the always getting every newstory right? I'll probably give it a try

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: July 7, 2012, 10:01:46 pm »
As I understand it, they feel the main purpose of the females is 1) despite their supposed competence/position, to sit there and receive lecture after lecture from the males, 2) be love interests, 3) boost the great news reader/Moses.

Again, I haven't seen any evidence of that at all in the first 2 episodes. If anything the woman  that's working under the main character is equally as powerful as him despite him holding the greater title. There is one instance of one man lecturing a woman but he's her boss & she's just had a rapid promotion, also it's an integral part of the plot because it goes to helping them build their relationship with each other which I get the feeling will become increasingly significant.

Actually most of the women they've introduced have been strong, intelligent & powerful so I'm not sure what reviews you've been reading.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: July 8, 2012, 07:37:51 am »
Various, usually linked from or written by the times and the guardian. As I say, will give it a try and hope they are wrong or at least as one or two reviews say, at least it is entertaining enough to forgive the flaws.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: July 11, 2012, 06:34:23 pm »
Coming in August is Bullet in the Face.

A short synopsis: Series about a psychotic criminal trying to juggle the demands of violence and an active social life.

A short trailer: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56814

Eddie Izzard is in it. But most interesting for me is that it's by the same bloke that did Sledge Hammer, which I used to love.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #424 on: July 13, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »
2nd series of Wilfred has just kicked off...picked up pretty much where it left off....really good dark humour throughout!

If you haven't caught this yet I would recommend that you go back to the start of the first series!

Excellent!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1703925/

On somone's rec in here I DL'ed the first series of Death valley and it's fucking awesome!!!!! Is it true that it's been picked up for a 2nd series? If so does anyone know when it's out?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1835129/

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: July 13, 2012, 04:57:08 pm »
2nd series of Wilfred has just kicked off...picked up pretty much where it left off....really good dark humour throughout!

If you haven't caught this yet I would recommend that you go back to the start of the first series!

Excellent!

On somone's rec in here I DL'ed the first series of Death valley and it's fucking awesome!!!!! Is it true that it's been picked up for a 2nd series? If so does anyone know when it's out?

It didn't get renewed mate.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #426 on: July 13, 2012, 05:28:10 pm »

Excellent!

Of course it didn't get renewed.... Fuckin idiots haven't got a clue.Re-up shit like Awkward,but really funny clever stuff,nah...

Have you DL,ed the original Aussie Wilfred? Same actor play's Wilfred in it.It's good.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:30:07 pm by dave 5516 »

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: July 13, 2012, 06:34:01 pm »
Really disappointed that it didn't get renewed. Great humor and they really knew how to use their set of characters or create a fun situation.  :'(

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: July 19, 2012, 08:34:34 pm »
The Emmy nominations are out, could be a decent way to catch a few series you might have missed. Mad Men killing it, of course.

http://www.imdb.com/emmys/nominations

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: July 19, 2012, 09:27:33 pm »
Outstanding Drama Series is such a strong category. Lena Headey should have got nominated for Supporting Female, hate her character in Game of Thrones but she does a really good job.

Anyway, started watching Mad Men the other day. Took a good 5 or 6 episodes before I could get into it, but I've got 1 episode of Season 1 to go an am enjoying it. The last episode I watched, showing him in the army, was really good.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #430 on: July 20, 2012, 06:21:15 pm »
Here's three  new show's for  autumn in the U.S.

There's some interesting show's coming up.These stand out for me.

The Following.
An edge-of-your-seat thriller about the complex relationship between diabolical serial killer Joe Carroll (James Purefoy) and the damaged FBI profiler, Ryan Hardy (Kevin Bacon), who once took him down. After Joe escapes, Hardy is reactivated and discovers that he is no longer just hunting one man, but a massive cult of serial killers created and manipulated during Carroll's time in prison. Kevin Williamson will write and executive-produce. Natalie Zea, Nico Tortorella, Jeananne Goossen, Shawn Ashmore, Adan Canto, Billy Brown, Kyle Catlett and Valorie Curry will also star.

Vegas.
The true story of Ralph Lamb (Dennis Quaid) — rodeo cowboy turned longtime Las Vegas Sheriff — set in the 1960s. Nicholas Pileggi and Without a Trace's Greg Walker will write and executive-produce alongside Men in Trees duo James Mangold and Cathy Konrad. Michael Chiklis, Jason O'Mara, Carrie-Anne Moss and Taylor Handley will also star.

And for me the most interesting one Red Widow,which is a remake of a Dutch crime series called Penoza,which I have on my Hdd but don't have any English sub's. :no

Red Widow.
The widow (Radha Mitchell) of an assassinated criminal is forced to adopt her husband's role in a crime syndicate in order to protect her family. Dexter's Melissa Rosenberg will write, based on the Dutch format, and executive-produce alongside The Office's Howard Klein. Lee Tergesen, Rade Sherbedzija, Wil Traval, Luke Goss, Suleka Mathew, Jaime Ray Newman, Sterling Beaumon, Jacob Salvati, Erin Moriarty and Mido Hamada will also star.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #431 on: July 20, 2012, 06:23:15 pm »
Outstanding Drama Series is such a strong category. Lena Headey should have got nominated for Supporting Female, hate her character in Game of Thrones but she does a really good job.

Anyway, started watching Mad Men the other day. Took a good 5 or 6 episodes before I could get into it, but I've got 1 episode of Season 1 to go an am enjoying it. The last episode I watched, showing him in the army, was really good.
I like Cersei,and I like all the Lannister character's there all good study's in power and corruption.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: July 24, 2012, 08:04:48 am »
I'm wondering if I should watch Smash? Got high reviews when it first came out, now seems to be quite unpopular with the critics.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #433 on: July 24, 2012, 12:22:14 pm »
The Emmy nominations are out, could be a decent way to catch a few series you might have missed. Mad Men killing it, of course.

http://www.imdb.com/emmys/nominations

Comedy nominations are awful as always. No Parks & Rec, Community or Louie for best comedy? The three are all nominated for best writing in a comedy series, so you'd think they'd get a best comedy nom, but no.

Modern Family has EVERY adult cast member nominated. It's a good show, but it's a fairly conventional sitcom.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:25:41 pm by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: July 24, 2012, 02:41:14 pm »
Need to give The Hollow Crown a watch, looks boss - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4N9-4vhYVU

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: July 24, 2012, 03:43:59 pm »
Need to give The Hollow Crown a watch, looks boss - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4N9-4vhYVU

Been watching it, really excellent.

Simon Shamas two Shakespeare doco's are also worth watching.

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: July 25, 2012, 10:10:42 am »
Final seasons of Dexter, Damages, Fringe and, of course, Breaking Bad all due soon (with Spooks already gone)  -  going to need some new great TV shows to replace them.

Enjoying what I've seen of 'The Newsroom' so far. Any thoughts on "Blackout", "line of Duty" and "Continuum"?
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #437 on: July 26, 2012, 01:24:59 pm »
Just started watching the final season of Underbelly.

Different to the rest but still very good.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: August 11, 2012, 07:05:41 pm »
They showed the first episode of Go On, a new Matthew Perry comedy. The mrs said it was basically a rip off of Community, sort of. It's about a therapy group, which Perry joins, and doesn't want to be there sort of thing.

There is also a new comedy called The new Normal. It looks like a rip off of Modern Family.

Well done, NBC.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: August 13, 2012, 09:24:37 pm »
Hell on Wheels is back for it's second season after a really enjoyable first one.