Author Topic: Guarding Against Complacency  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Guarding Against Complacency
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:50:20 pm »
As we approach the final months of the 2006-2007 season, it is more than pleasing that we still have something mouth watering to anticipate in the upcoming tie with PSV Eindhoven.

In truth our push for the league has long since diminished and even after having easily beaten Chelsea towards the end of January, it was by then already too distant if we are being honest with ourselves.

When that Premiership ambition was well and truly dashed for yet another season by Everton and Newcastle, it heaped even more emphasis (as if any more was needed) on our showdown with defending European Champions Barcelona. The taunts of my friends and colleagues at work, which began immediately after the draw for the first round of the Champions League knockout stages, about end of season videos being on sale the day after the first leg at the Camp Nou, were suddenly echoing around in my head with enough volume to give Thor a headache.

It therefore was a huge relief when the Reds came back from Spain having conquered the Catalans. I kept my emotions close though, bearing in mind that it was, as Rafa and the players were quick to repeat, only half way through the tie.

Privately though I was convincing myself that we were surely through. The two teams were almost complete opposites. Barcelona has a throng of skilful attacking players capable of cutting through any defence in the world. Their defence however is possibly the worst organised I can remember for such a high profile club. In contrast, Liverpool are proving yet again both domestically and in Europe to be the most frugal of units defensively and yet when it comes to the crunch, still a little goal shy.

Importantly though, I could see no way that Barcelona would stop Liverpool from scoring at Anfield in the return fixture. As it was the woodwork and an element of bad luck coupled with poor finishing saw Barcelona run out 1-0 victors.

On paper it was our second high profile 1-0 home defeat in a matter of days. In reality however, it has to be remembered that both scorelines fail to tell the true stories of either game, where Liverpool had the lions share of chances and possession, more so in the United game.

But two lessons need to have been taken onboard from those two games. The first of those is something which cannot be addressed until the summer and that is the need for a world class striker.

When asked recently just what Liverpool F.C. needed to take it on to the next level, as true title contenders, Jamie Carragher’s simple and truthful response was “better players.” That has to start with a front man who can guarantee twenty goals a season. It is truly possible that Dirk Kuyt has it within him to become that man. Many, perhaps better players than him, have taken a full season or more to adjust to life in the English premier league. It is more robust and also faster paced than any of its European equivalents. But we cannot afford to take the risk that Kuyt does not fulfil his potential again next term and fails to replicate his exceptional scoring record achieved in Holland.

Who that striker may be is open to debate. It would seem that though there has to be limits to the financial options open to Benitez, they are now a lot less restricted when compared to last summer. But as we have seen, limitless depth to a chairman’s pockets and the ability to attract the world’s best striker to your club certainly does not always mean an instant return. Shevchenko may yet weigh in with what could prove crucial goals for Chelsea, but I shall always remember him for an obvious failed penalty attempt, when for all his achievements, he would have looked more at home in the road crossing scene of Watership Down.

The other lesson which is far more immediate is the need to avoid complacency.

After last weekend and the dour game at Villa, Liverpool look to be cruising. Almost as though nobody will catch us for fourth spot and the league will take care of itself. This is by no means the case although it would appear that only Tottenham seem capable of a run good enough to dislodge the Reds. Perhaps the players feel they need to stay fit for the European finale and are content to tick over in the league. Perhaps I shouldn’t jump to conclusions after one mediocre performance.

Worryingly though if complacency is a factor, there must be a danger that this attitude can spill over to the Champions League. Ronald Koeman was quick to point out that his PSV side would have preferred any other team than Liverpool in the forthcoming round. Qualifying this statement with the fact that the sides had already met in the group stages, Koeman used the word disappointment in his assessment of the tie. Coming from the man who masterminded our exit from last years competition, I hope and believe that Rafa will take the Dutchman’s comments with the pinch of salt they deserve. More important is his ability to convey this to the Liverpool squad, who could be forgiven for assuming that having already seen off Eindhoven once then a repeat would be a formality.

Should this be the case then a potential semi final repeat of 2005 is on the horizon.

Only this morning on the radio I heard that Chelsea may have to face Manchester in a showdown for league, FA Cup and Champions League honours. I hope the media continues to air this view and then Liverpool can go quietly about the business of spoiling one of those scenarios. Then history will have another chance to repeat itself and another glorious chapter of L.F.C. can be written.

© Jim Brown 2007
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Guarding Against Complacency
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 09:28:33 pm »
Good, calm, reasoned summary of the situation as usual Rushian.

One point I would add about the striking situation is that apart from the addition of a truly talented goalscorer, we could do with more runners into box, or at least, the threat of runners into the box. When you think of the last great Liverpool team, you'd think of Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge, Houghton, and to a lesser extent McMahon either being in the box or threatening to run into the box. They all offer a 'goal threat', and its so much harder for defenders to defend when they have one eye on the striker they're marking and the other on someone on the wing, who can cut inside or go outside or someone running from deep who can also threaten the goal. I think we need to create a bit more indecision in opposition defences. Barnes did that perfectly for us, in his hey day. Ronaldo's doing the same for the Mancs. But apart from when Garcia plays, our attacking play in the final third this season has been a bit too predictable with forwards and wingers being isolated.

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 02:56:45 am »
Surely none of the teams that remain in the CL are complacent about their opposition, but I think we can be confident about beating PSV.  Their displays against us (particularly in Holland) showed them to be a pedestrian, almost lethargic side who seemed to be incapable of changing the tempo of their game.   Carragher, Agger and Finnan shut them down.  They only created one goal-scoring opportunity in that game (if we ignore the shot that hit the bar after a Momo giveaway).

But the other side of the coin is that we didn't create much in that game either.  None of the attacking players distinguished themselves, and our team play was only marginally better than PSV's.   As Consigliere says, without Garcia we lack the invention to graduate to the next level of play.  I suspect that Rafa is contemplating major changes over the next year or so, even if we manage to sneak a CL victory in Athens .
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:53:39 am »
Two very valid points, well made.

With regard to the striker issue - I am not sure either that Dirk is the goal poacher that we need although his record in Holland would suggest that he is. I like him for his work rate but I want to like him for his goal scoring. More of his effort needs to be expended in the final third but to do this Rafa needs to set up the midfield so that he doesn't need to fill in in midfield. Too much of his time is taken with tackling back.

The complacency issue really concerns me and I have made this point before. Generally, players need regular competitive club games to keep their fitness levels, confidence and competitive contact with their team mates. This isn't happening at the moment because we are out of the FA Cup and the intervention of unwanted internationals (why can't they play all of these at the end of the season?). I've seen it before, where a team that was on fire goes pear shaped when the competitive need goes out of the games they are playing. Don't know the answer but Rafa really needs to get the players in the right physical and mental frame of mind for the PSV games.

Offline The Cobbler

• Main Stander
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 11:03:30 am »
Excellent article!

We have to be mindful of allowing teams to get too close to us in the PL. I am happy as long as we have at least a 6 point buffer between us and the pursuing pack. 3rd or 4th - not bothered from a fan perspective, although financially the club would like 3rd..

Have we started to switch off in the PL?.....Well, those of us who had the dubious 'pleasure' of attending Sundays bore draw at Villa Park, would certainly testify that our player's thoughts appeared to be elsewhere. Whether that was thinking about the forthcoming international break or the impending CL clash with PSV is debatable, but, the performance was minimalist, with no real effort to up the tempo at any time. 2 points certainly squandered.

Before PSV, we have a chance of avenging the 2 cup match defeats in January to Arsenal and Arsenal reserves, which hurt us quite badly. It was quite painful for a few days, with usual suspects in the media leading the charge against Rafa.

There would be nothing better than going into the PSV away game, following a victory over Arsenal. I do however suspect that Rafa might go into rotation mode to ensure freshness against PSV....putting 4 goals past Sheffield United with a much changed team is acceptable, but we've already had a nasty lesson against the gunners this year and I hope we can ensure the best team are put out against them - At least make sure Reina is in goal!!

Somehow I think Rafa won't make the same mistake twice and we will have many 'possibilities'...........

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 12:11:43 pm »
Good posts!
I would add that consistency, that elusive commodity for any team with Championship winning yearnings, has to be in the forefront of our minds if we are to progress next season and achieve what targets are left for this.
 For far too many seasons we have flattered to deceive at key times and subsequently have been found wanting as far as the league is concerned.
Rafa has a system of coaching the players that some find difficult to sustain on the playing field at first and this has been compounded by the influx of new players and the loss of form of their more experienced teammates.
This will be overcome only with time and lots of hard work. I'm sure that Benitez will have no doubt  factored this into his plans. The man leaves nothing to chance  and has a Shanklyesque obsession with the finer details of his craft. One only has to look at the ‘Ice cream and fizzy drinks’ scenarios amongst many others ,at Valencia to see that.
It's clear where our problems have lied this season. Contributors in the media and on fan sites will all have spoken at length about our lack of goals, the lifeblood of any successful side. However as a coach Benitez will know from experience that the players don't become poor finishers overnight and that they have it within them to produce in the long term. Until recent weeks we had been scoring freely and were the form team in the League, so he would have been more concerned  like his more illustrious predecessors if our players “hadn’t been there to miss them”. We have been ticking all the boxes except one recently and that fine line between success and failure has seemed to be more like a back entry than the M6.
As fans consistency must also play a part. Knee jerk reactions , highlighted after the poor display at Villa must be resisted as they can quickly be transferred to the way we back the team, particularly at Anfield and put undue pressure on the players and management alike.
To win the Champions League this season will be an enormous achievement and I believe that we do have the necessary  tools at our disposal to go all the way. Saying that, if we failed to achieve it, I would still try to keep my eyes focused on the bigger picture, confident that we have the man to get it right.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:35:15 pm by shanklyboy »
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 10:22:22 pm »
Good, calm, reasoned summary of the situation as usual Rushian.

© Jim Brown 2007

Nice read Jim.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline jim.lfc

• Kemlynite
  • Always the King
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 11:18:11 pm »
Takke Kaizer

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 03:19:11 am »

When asked recently just what Liverpool F.C. needed to take it on to the next level, as true title contenders, Jamie Carragher’s simple and truthful response was “better players.”
© Jim Brown 2007
That's it, really. We need better cattle to challenge for the league title. We need players who can score goals, who are a goal threat, not just better strikers. The goal-scoring form of Ronaldo this season has definitely helped ManU to be in a formidable position. Chelsea won the last two titles aided by Lampard's goals. We closed the gap last season when Gerrard was scoring goals. This season, we missed Garcia who is a potent goal threat while Pennant and whoever in the left flank have been struggling to score goals.

We have the best 5 at the back in the Premiership so let's leverage and build on that. We have a wealth of talent and able-men in the middle so the areas we need improvement in are: one striker who is a natural poacher and 2 wingers on each flank who not only can beat defenders and run at them but score goals too. If we do not finish in the top 3, history has shown we have little chance of winning the league in the modern game. Money via TV rights has certainly changed the game and it's time we caught up with the rest. It is sad reality but "if you're not in it, you can't win it".

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #9 on: April 2, 2007, 10:06:26 am »
Worryingly though if complacency is a factor, there must be a danger that this attitude can spill over to the Champions League.

I thought this was likely too until Saturday when, amazingly, it looked to be Arsenal not us who had their minds elsewhere.

Some excellent points, well made.

As was this:

we could do with more runners into box, or at least, the threat of runners into the box. When you think of the last great Liverpool team, you'd think of Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge, Houghton, and to a lesser extent McMahon either being in the box or threatening to run into the box. They all offer a 'goal threat', and its so much harder for defenders to defend when they have one eye on the striker they're marking and the other on someone on the wing, who can cut inside or go outside or someone running from deep who can also threaten the goal.

My hope is that Rafa's basic strategy for the rest of the Euro campaign will be the same as the one he used against Arsenal.  A lone attacker and a five man midfield, with Gerrard making the runs that Consigliere has mentioned. Another virtue of this set-up is that it reinforces the defensive side to the team which is surely our greatest asset on the European stage. No team in Europe will fancy falling behind to Liverpool. There have been some incredibly soft goals conceded by big teams in this year's European cup. But not by us (at least since Gala). 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: April 3, 2007, 04:54:32 am »
My hope is that Rafa's basic strategy for the rest of the Euro campaign will be the same as the one he used against Arsenal.  A lone attacker and a five man midfield, with Gerrard making the runs that Consigliere has mentioned. Another virtue of this set-up is that it reinforces the defensive side to the team which is surely our greatest asset on the European stage. No team in Europe will fancy falling behind to Liverpool. There have been some incredibly soft goals conceded by big teams in this year's European cup. But not by us (at least since Gala). 

Seconded - I was elated when I saw Saturday's team sheet.  With the exception of Arbeloa (still an unknown quantity), it was a team with plenty of skill and more composure on the ball than some recent selections.  I understand that Rafa keeps on choosing some players for their "grit" and "engine", but their replacements on Saturday were a revelation.  I'm hoping that he keeps on selecting the same team (plus Finnan) all the way to Athens. 
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)