Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 505601 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #5720 on: March 26, 2024, 01:34:32 pm »
Graham Hunter's article fails when he keeps making out Madrid is "Home" for Xabi. Real Madrid has never been his home. In fact I;d say he has more of a relatioship with us outside any of his other clubs bar Sociedad.  ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5721 on: March 26, 2024, 02:16:23 pm »
Im still not having this Madrid being the desired outcome. Its a shite job.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #5722 on: March 26, 2024, 02:19:10 pm »
There might be a new name emerging; Arteta might have won something.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5723 on: March 26, 2024, 02:44:55 pm »
Shudder to think how many months of this shite we’re going to have to go through before we appoint someone. I definitely don’t have the stomach for it and will ban myself from this thread once the season over and this shit really ramps up.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5724 on: March 26, 2024, 02:46:14 pm »
10 weeks

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #5725 on: March 26, 2024, 02:52:22 pm »
Shudder to think how many months of this shite we’re going to have to go through before we appoint someone. I definitely don’t have the stomach for it and will ban myself from this thread once the season over and this shit really ramps up.

It's been getting harder and harder in this thread of uninformed speculation but the moment Richard Keys got involved I thought that this might be the week to leave it until the "LFC manager news (no speculation or shite)" thread starts
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5726 on: March 26, 2024, 03:30:25 pm »
Doesn`t look mutual

The touchline is where the adults are standing in the background. Alonso is wondering why Arteta made them stand on the pitch to watch a game.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5727 on: March 26, 2024, 03:51:16 pm »
Graham Hunter's article fails when he keeps making out Madrid is "Home" for Xabi. Real Madrid has never been his home. In fact I;d say he has more of a relatioship with us outside any of his other clubs bar Sociedad.  ;D
It’s the massive fatal flaw in his entire argument. As is the suggestion Perez has been playing the long game, not to mention the glaring omission that Madrid already offered him the fast track Zidane route after he used their academy to get his UEFA Pro license, and he turned it down flat. Just as 5 years earlier, he turned down an extension to his playing contract to (as he openly admitted) play under Guardiola at Bayern. He’s got no real emotional ties to the Bernabeu.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5728 on: March 26, 2024, 03:54:01 pm »
Just seen this story in my news feed:

"Glen Johnson insists Liverpool shouldn’t rule out making England boss Gareth Southgate their new manager in the summer amid links to rivals Man Utd."

He never was the sharpest tool in the box, was he?  ;D

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5729 on: March 26, 2024, 04:02:19 pm »
Yep he clearly knows the same as all of us, with the extra phrases and insight of someone who writes about football for a living. Sure Madrid is attractive, who wouldn't want to coach a team with Mbappé, Camavinga, Vini Jnr, Bellingham etc?

But Xabi is not from there and perhaps, we don't know!, he might want to work a little harder moulding something his own vision elseware. A smart man, he should know that the Madrid job comes up every 2-4 years anyway!

And that's the downside to Xabi as well if he does come here. There'll be a circus every time the Madrid job comes up. Rafa practically turned them down every year.

I doubt he's going to sit it out at Leverkusen waiting to see if the Madrid job comes up down the line. Maybe he does but chances are he'll move on now when his stock is highest. His Leverkusen team will break up.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5730 on: March 26, 2024, 04:03:43 pm »

"Glen Johnson insists Liverpool shouldn’t rule out making England boss Gareth Southgate their new manager in the summer amid links to rivals Man Utd."

"And out pops a smiling Glen Johnson..."
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5731 on: March 26, 2024, 04:05:07 pm »

Hopefully his Saudi mates get him the Newcastle job.

He's tactically inept. International football is just shite and England always get the best draws (until Southgate shits the bed if and when they face anyone half decent).

Maybe we could appoint him manager just for all his spawny cup draws. Just don't let him do any coaching.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5732 on: March 26, 2024, 04:05:25 pm »
And that's the downside to Xabi as well if he does come here. There'll be a circus every time the Madrid job comes up. Rafa practically turned them down every year.

I doubt he's going to sit it out at Leverkusen waiting to see if the Madrid job comes up down the line. Maybe he does but chances are he'll move on now when his stock is highest. His Leverkusen team will break up.

That would mean he's winning trophies with us. Madrid won;t touch him if he's not won anything.

We have to accept not another manager will get a decade here like Klopp. 2-4 years is not even the norm. 

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5733 on: March 26, 2024, 04:20:14 pm »
I do believe that the only reason Xabi would stay at Leverkusen was if he had agreed or was lined up to take over from Ancelotti at Madrid. I see that as the only logical reason he would pass up either Liverpool or Bayern and let's be honest, whether we like it or not Madrid tend to get their man in the end whether it's a good move for the man or not.

Many twists and turns to come. Imagine if it's Southgate I think we'd march on FSG's offices :D

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5734 on: March 26, 2024, 04:40:55 pm »
very interesting on Thiago Motta
doing a superb job at Bologna very dominant team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBM0dObPJ_U

Not a Liverpool coach for now but someone to watch out for

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5735 on: March 26, 2024, 04:42:38 pm »
Imagine if it's Southgate I think we'd march on FSG's offices :D

Imagine if Edwards sanctioned us appointing Southgate as his first major move after coming back. It would be a pretty spectacular way to commit career suicide.

I didn't read the full story. Stopped after that opening line, in fact. It was one of those shite clickbait pieces with a heading along the lines of "Liverpool told to consider Southgate" - I only clicked on it because I needed to see who was the twerp who actually said something so stupid. I expect the journalist goaded him into saying it anyway.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #5736 on: March 26, 2024, 04:50:16 pm »
very interesting on Thiago Motta
doing a superb job at Bologna very dominant team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBM0dObPJ_U

Not a Liverpool coach for now but someone to watch out for

I think he'll be Alonso's replacement when he leaves Leverkusen
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5737 on: March 26, 2024, 05:58:30 pm »
So Real are in pole position because they have been waiting to appoint him, and have such a good team that Alonso will wait 2 years to join them. According to Hunter.

Like others have said, it's likely he knows about as much you or I. He's a Spanish football writer so has a a certain biased point of view. From what I've heard about Alonso, he keeps his cards close to his chest so it's likely he's not told anyone, and that's even if he has made a decision - and given what Leverkusen are going for this season, it wouldn't be at all surprising if he's not even seriously considered his next move or when it might be.

Of course, it's completely feasible he wants to go to Real Madrid, I doubt the writer knows. Also, like tou say, I don't think a manager can wait for 2 years, who knows what's going happen in that time? Real Madrid might have moved on, Alonso's stock might not be as high, it'd be a huge gamble.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5738 on: March 26, 2024, 06:03:43 pm »
Like others have said, it's likely he knows about as much you or I. He's a Spanish football writer so has a a certain biased point of view. From what I've heard about Alonso, he keeps his cards close to his chest so it's likely he's not told anyone, and that's even if he has made a decision - and given what Leverkusen are going for this season, it wouldn't be at all surprising if he's not even seriously considered his next move or when it might be.

Of course, it's completely feasible he wants to go to Real Madrid, I doubt the writer knows. Also, like tou say, I don't think a manager can wait for 2 years, who knows what's going happen in that time? Real Madrid might have moved on, Alonso's stock might not be as high, it'd be a huge gamble.

Richard Keys clearly got told so maybe Alonso has changed..

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5739 on: March 26, 2024, 06:07:21 pm »
Richard Keys clearly got told so maybe Alonso has changed..

Obviously when I said Alonso keeps his cards close to his chest, I did mean that he'd immediately tell Richard Keys, even before he told his wife and kids. That's a given.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5740 on: March 26, 2024, 06:10:08 pm »
Maybe they’ll just end the club when Klopp goes.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #5741 on: March 26, 2024, 06:17:33 pm »

Good god 😟

I've just threw up a bit in my mouth

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5742 on: March 26, 2024, 06:21:03 pm »
Obviously when I said Alonso keeps his cards close to his chest, I did mean that he'd immediately tell Richard Keys, even before he told his wife and kids. That's a given.

He'll have casually dropped it in the "lads" whatsapp he shares with Keys, Gray, Raul Moat, Gazza, Lawrence Fox and Frottage.

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5743 on: March 26, 2024, 06:42:47 pm »
I want Alonso to become our new manager but the worry is there will always be speculation about his future should the Madrid job become available. In Hunter's article on the previous page, there's a bit about him being offered the Marseille job but rejected it with the president of Marseille stating Alonso had made it clear the 4 teams he would like to manage. It just make me wonder whether he would be looking to move on after 3-5 seasons if Madrid did come calling. And let's be honest Madrid seem to have gotten their act together and have really made an effort to lower the average age of their squad by signing young quality players. It must be tempting for a young manager to want to work with such young talent.

I want someone for the long haul.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5744 on: March 26, 2024, 06:48:54 pm »

How can he have played here, known the club and the fans, then gone on to say that?  :lmao

Southgate is as much a Liverpool manager as Hodgson was.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5745 on: March 26, 2024, 07:01:58 pm »

Didn't he do a Masters in Mathematics while playing for Liverpool?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5746 on: March 26, 2024, 07:46:05 pm »

Like the 1 + 1 = 3, math?

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #5747 on: March 26, 2024, 08:29:07 pm »
"And out pops a smiling Glen Johnson..."

A RAWK deep cut!  ;D Well played.

Offline Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #5748 on: March 26, 2024, 08:51:25 pm »

A degree I think, not a Masters. A lot of talk of him starting one, not sure he actually finished it.

I find it interesting that just a few months ago De Zerbi would have been most peoples 2nd or 3rd choice. Probably not anymore. 

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5749 on: March 26, 2024, 11:18:38 pm »
I've just threw up a bit in my mouth

christ I hate that expression.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #5750 on: March 26, 2024, 11:21:16 pm »
christ I hate that expression.

I hate the thought of Gareth fucking Southgate as liverpool manager more believe me

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5751 on: March 26, 2024, 11:41:32 pm »
I want Alonso to become our new manager but the worry is there will always be speculation about his future should the Madrid job become available. In Hunter's article on the previous page, there's a bit about him being offered the Marseille job but rejected it with the president of Marseille stating Alonso had made it clear the 4 teams he would like to manage. It just make me wonder whether he would be looking to move on after 3-5 seasons if Madrid did come calling. And let's be honest Madrid seem to have gotten their act together and have really made an effort to lower the average age of their squad by signing young quality players. It must be tempting for a young manager to want to work with such young talent.

I want someone for the long haul.

I wonder if FSG will be thinking likewise. They could say 'look we're gonna give you time' with the expectancy of loyalty. If there's an indication that loyalty and commitment in the long term is not forthcoming, then I think they are well within their rights to give it a miss. I hope to hell that isn't the case with Alonso if he were to be interviewed, but we never did anything great without commitment.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #5752 on: March 26, 2024, 11:44:03 pm »
My hunch is Ruben Amorim will be our next manager; a bet that he's shaping up
to be the next great coach out of Portugal, we'll know in 2 weeks if Sporting look in good shape for
a second league title under him.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5753 on: March 27, 2024, 01:02:59 am »
My hunch is Ruben Amorim will be our next manager; a bet that he's shaping up
to be the next great coach out of Portugal, we'll know in 2 weeks if Sporting look in good shape for
a second league title under him.
After AVB you mean? :P

Yeah he'll need to win the league again to convince he's more than a risky punt, as unfortunately his European pedigree really isn't much to shout about. It was very disappointing Sporting went out to Atalanta, not least because it'd have been interesting to see them up close in the QF.

Right now, he's the only palatable alternative we've been linked to if for some reason, Xabi doesn't have the stomach for it. There's also the concern about whether he'll hold out (knowing he's only our backup option) if say Barcelona or even Chelsea come calling in the next few weeks. If that happens, there'll be a semi-meltdown on RAWK.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 01:06:33 am by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #5754 on: March 27, 2024, 01:16:12 am »
Amorim's release clause being 25m i think may rule him out if we had to pay that.

Don't really see a sum like that being a stumbling block, if the club really think the manager is our long-term solution and will be here to shape the team for a long time. I would imagine Xabi wouldn't be a lot cheaper (if he doesn't have a release clause), as Leverkusen would probably wanting something like what Bayern paid to Leipzig for Nagelsmann, which was between 15 and 25 million Euros depending on whom you believe. While Nagelsmann had a longer contract at Leipzig, he had also won fuck all. If Xabi wins the league (and maybe another competition they're still in), Leverkusen might feel 25 million would be a justified asking price, if someone wants to sign their manager in the summer. And if you're looking at the big picture, a price like that would still worth it, if you really feel that you're getting someone who'll have a significant impact on your whole club for a long time. It's not like paying 100 million for a player who'll still only be one of 20+ people in your squad, while the manager is much more vital to how you're developing as a team/club.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5755 on: March 27, 2024, 06:17:23 am »
You can’t be shocked if Alonso decides he’d like to manage Madrid sooner rather than later. There’s so many generational players there, it really is huge if you’re a manager being able to manage Mbappe, Vinicius, Bellingham, Camavinga, Valverde, Tchouameni, potentially Davies and they’ll probably sign a couple more. The heights you could take a squad like that are almost unparalleled. There’s a bit of a dressing room harmony about them, maybe it’s because Barcelona aren’t the same threat they were all those years ago, but it does feel like this Madrid side could dominate La Liga in a way Barcelona did with Messi for well over a decade. It used to feel like they would self combust under the pressure of being inferior to Barcelona but it’s hard to see that happening with Barca relying on toddlers so heavily.

We also can’t be shocked if Madrid have been lining him up and communicating with him for a long time as part of some grand master plan. That’s how they operate. My own view is if Ancelotti loses to City in Europe, there could be an emotional reaction to that where they decide getting Xabi in for next season would be preferred rather than risk he comes to Liverpool and commits to a minimum 5 year project here. For Xabi, it might be the only time our job becomes available and he may deem England the better move for his career at this point than the pressure cooker of managing Madrid. Madrid just seem to have those powers of persuasion above everyone else, when they really want someone they usually get them, they’ve been the only club I’ve really worried about since Klopp announced he was leaving.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5756 on: March 27, 2024, 06:44:36 am »
wouldnt Real go for Klopp i would think

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5757 on: March 27, 2024, 07:00:47 am »
The Alonso conversation is starting to remind me of the Bellingham conversation.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5758 on: March 27, 2024, 07:06:52 am »
wouldnt Real go for Klopp i would think

Nah, couldn’t see it. Klopp’s a serious football man, the circus and hysteria around that club wouldn’t appeal and he understands he needs at least some level of control to operate at his best. At Madrid you have to accept that a lot of the decisions are made above you and your job is to coach the team. Someone like Alonso who’s played there and grew up as a Spaniard, it’s fine, he knows the score, but Jurgen wouldn’t do it. We all know Jurgen likes the 7 year project, that’s his aim, at Madrid it’s almost year to year, regardless of how good you are. He’s more than good enough as we all know, but I just couldn’t ever see it unless he decides to spend his final years in management taking on short term jobs. I could only see Jurgen managing Germany if he decides to return.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5759 on: March 27, 2024, 07:14:43 am »
The Alonso conversation is starting to remind me of the Bellingham conversation.

Alonso signing for us was always more likely than Belleingham.