Author Topic: Lucas was out for the season  (Read 328937 times)

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lucas OUT for the season
« Reply #2000 on: January 26, 2012, 05:31:37 pm »
Probably the right thing to do if you're an attacking midfielder who's then asked to play as a DM.....

Indeed. It's a testament to his determination how well he has adapted.  I remember thinking during his season alongside Alonso it was almost like we sacrificed our creativity in midfield that season to give him a chance to learn the defensive game alongside one of the very best....I believe Rafa made that decision knowing Masch would be leaving and being unsure of whether he could sign a replacement.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #2001 on: January 26, 2012, 05:33:41 pm »
Glad that Gerrard name-checked him so prominently after the match yesterday. He has played his part in getting us to Wembley and paid a high price for his efforts.
really? got the quotes?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Barry Banana

• because johnster was a rubbish username?...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #2002 on: January 26, 2012, 05:39:08 pm »
Ok he was amazing all along.  Never mind that he himself admits he worked hard to change his game.   :-*

It was not always great to see Lucas's name on the teamsheet in the past - because it meant he was there in place of Alonso, Mascherano, or Gerrard.  He was nowhere near as good as them players a couple of years ago - but no way did he deserve the stick he got.  Everytime we lost, or didn't win, it was because Lucas was playing.  That may have been true to some extent, because a young Lucas's presence meant the absence of a world class player.  But Lucas was never shit.  He just wasn't as good as the three mentioned.  And he was young, and growing.  And he's shown what an incredible footballer he has matured/changed into.

The people who gave him stick should hand their heads in shame.  Its not his fault he was not Alonso, Mascherano or Gerrard two years ago.
Long live the King

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2003 on: January 26, 2012, 07:08:39 pm »
Glad that Gerrard name-checked him so prominently after the match yesterday. He has played his part in getting us to Wembley and paid a high price for his efforts.

What did he say? Is it on .tv?
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2004 on: January 26, 2012, 07:15:57 pm »
Just watched it, great that!!
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2005 on: January 26, 2012, 08:56:37 pm »
"On July 2007, a teenager come knocking to my door and ask for my autograph. I gave him my autographed jersey instead. To my shock on the next day, I saw this same person training on our training ground. And now, he is regard as one of the best holding midfielder in the world. Now, it's time for me to ask for his autograph instead."
- Steven Gerrard on Lucas Leiva

was this true?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #2006 on: January 26, 2012, 09:15:25 pm »
"On July 2007, a teenager come knocking to my door and ask for my autograph. I gave him my autographed jersey instead. To my shock on the next day, I saw this same person training on our training ground. And now, he is regard as one of the best holding midfielder in the world. Now, it's time for me to ask for his autograph instead."
- Steven Gerrard on Lucas Leiva

was this true?

Stevie's from Huyton, he wouldn't say "jersey".
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2007 on: January 26, 2012, 09:21:53 pm »
its too fucking cheesy too :D
saw it on that youtube vid, well a related vid lol

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2008 on: January 26, 2012, 09:32:11 pm »
Lucas has been immense for the last few seasons.
Football is all about opinions and there's no rule to say you can't change.
I'll hold my hand up and say that four seasons ago I was saying this lad isn't good enough for Liverpool club, I moaned but I never booed him, what a tw£t I feel as if Benitez didn't know his football we could have got rid of someone who will be one of the best midfielders in the world.
I love that he plays for our club, he seems a great lad, I made a mistake with my opinions four years ago but since then I have rated him and as the saying goes he gets better with every passing game.
Get back soon Lucas we need u mate.
YNWA

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #2009 on: January 26, 2012, 11:04:52 pm »
I understand we all have opinions on players, even understand how we can get frustrated by players and don't want them selected in the squad, but to boo a player that is giving his all for the team is really small minded. It displays how ignorant we can be when it suits us of the process of playing for a club.

If a player is showing poor sportsmanship or clearly not putting it in well then maybe. But using Lucas as an example, he was signed by someone at the club and selected by someone at the club to give his best. He didn't pick himself in the team, someone else did, week after week. And from my observation he gave his best and never shirked any responsibility. It didn't help that he came into the team when expectation was particularly high.

Booing the player does nothing to improve their performance or mindset, it is counterproductive, misguided and ignorant.

Lucas is a great example of a professional footballer. Hopefully he's made it a little easier for those that will come after him who also need to find their feet.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #2010 on: February 2, 2012, 08:52:19 am »
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/your-support-kept-me-strong

'Your support kept me strong'

Lucas Leiva has explained how messages of support from Liverpool fans helped keep him strong during one of the most difficult periods in his career.

The midfielder returned to Melwood last week after spending a month and a half in Brazil, where he underwent surgery on an anterior cruciate ligament injury in his left knee which will keep him out of action for the rest of 2011-12.

But Lucas admits the support of Reds fans helped keep his spirits up - and he's keen to thank them.

"As I said when I got injured, I want to say thanks to the fans for all the positive messages they have been sending to me," he told Liverpoolfc.tv

"They are definitely helping me a lot to keep strong and do well. Hopefully I will be back soon and wearing the red shirt again will be a good thing to achieve."

He added: "I was really frustrated because it was my first injury since I arrived at Liverpool and a serious one, so I was really down, especially after the operation. But you can't complain about it, you just have to deal with it, try to do the right rehab and come back stronger than before."

Despite spending six weeks in his native Brazil following his operation, Lucas had little time to spend with family and friends.

The 25-year-old embarked on a rehabilitation programme which was overseen by the Reds' medical team.

Lucas added: "I did my rehab after my operation in Brazil. The doctor wanted me there for at least six weeks and not to get a flight back straight away after the operation.

"I did simple things, tried to take the swelling of the knee down and start to move it a little bit.

"I was not in my city, I was in Sao Paulo but my family could go there and we spent some time together - but I was in the clinic doing physio almost all day, every day. Now I have to work really hard to come back as soon as possible."

Upon returning to the club's training complex, Lucas was given a warm welcome from his teammates, who were keen to know how his rehabilitation was progressing.

Indeed, the Liverpool players remained in constant contact with the Brazilian - and now he's hoping to repay their encouragement.

"They were asking how I am and how long it will take (to recover)," said Lucas. "It's a long way and very slow rehab, but they are happy to see me back and that I am doing well. Hopefully next season will be a good one for everyone.

"I kept in touch with a lot of players, especially the South American guys. We were in touch almost every week. Now I am here to help off the pitch and give a good, positive message to them."

While Lucas was in Sao Paulo, back on Merseyside Liverpool fans were busy creating a new terrace ditty in tribute to the No.21.

And if the intention of those singing it was to show support for the injured midfielder, it certainly had the desired impact.

"I have heard it and I am really happy to have it," smiled Lucas. "I am looking forward to listening to it when I make my comeback."
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Babelmania

• Kopite
« Reply #2011 on: February 2, 2012, 10:21:49 am »
Any updates on when he will be back? Miss him incredibly on the pitch :(

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #2012 on: February 2, 2012, 10:24:29 am »
Would it be impossible for him to make an appearance this season (Cisse style)?

Offline freelancer01

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2013 on: February 2, 2012, 10:28:26 am »
he's out for the season, definite 

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2014 on: February 2, 2012, 10:48:16 am »
no point risking him this year, Kenny thinks the squad can cope, hopefully it does

Offline mulhergremista

• Kopite
« Reply #2015 on: February 2, 2012, 02:01:04 pm »
Last twitter

LucasLeiva87 Lucas Leiva
Walking without crutches another small but important step of my rehab.

I found today an old video from the Gauchao (the regional chapionship of RS)  Today Gremio plays against an interior team Sao Luiz, I rememberde the away  game of Gremio against the same team in the Gauchao 2007, it was a exiting game that finished 4:5 for Gremio, who took this championshipthat year. Who scored the 5th , decisive goal, of course Lucas..

Want to see??http://youtu.be/1Chy7TdRYJg

I twitted Lucas about it, but as he has more than 420,000 followers and follows very few, I beg you , if you are among the lucky ones, pls retweet it, I am sure he will enjoy this video,

P.S>  if somebody can embedd this video, pls do, I could not

Here is my twit to him, pls RT

@mulhergremista
Drora Luz Homen
@LucasLeiva87 Ainda lembro o jogo electrisante vsSao Luiz11.3.2007, Tu tinhas marcado o 5.gol,decisivo! assiste o video youtu.be/1Chy7TdRYJg

« Last Edit: February 2, 2012, 02:07:40 pm by mulhergremista »

Offline mulhergremista

• Kopite
« Reply #2016 on: February 2, 2012, 02:13:28 pm »
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CNPyfvMn8TE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
this is another video of the same game, even better because you can see Lucas speaking to the press before the gme, beside his coaqch of that time, Mano Menezes
« Last Edit: February 2, 2012, 02:17:50 pm by mulhergremista »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2017 on: February 2, 2012, 05:15:13 pm »
Enjoyed  those Mulher, thanks, much appreciated.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #2018 on: February 2, 2012, 05:47:27 pm »
Would it be impossible for him to make an appearance this season (Cisse style)?

When the injury happened people were referencing similar instances where a player had made it back in four or five months.

Even if it were a possibility there's no point in risking him imo - I'd rather have him for the next ten years than for a few games at the end of this season.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2019 on: February 3, 2012, 12:34:24 pm »
The BBC still has Lucas listed as "Leiva Lucas."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/bsp/hi/football/statistics/players/l/lucas_353260.stm

Is there anything we can do about this?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2020 on: February 3, 2012, 12:56:47 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/bsp/hi/football/statistics/players/l/lucas_353260.stm

ask for a license fee refund? I'm up for that

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2021 on: February 3, 2012, 12:59:04 pm »

Oh behave :lmao

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2022 on: February 3, 2012, 12:59:21 pm »
ask for a license fee refund? I'm up for that

Was thinking of an email campaign, the lad's having a terrible time of it, least we can do is demand the BBC get his name right.

We have the power...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline mulhergremista

• Kopite
« Reply #2023 on: February 4, 2012, 12:55:03 pm »
LucasLeiva87 Lucas Leiva
@
@ChrisMorgan10 no problem mate it is a pleasure.
31 Jan
»

ChrisMorgan10 Chris Morgan
Thankyou @LucasLeiva87 for the latest signed shirt to raise funds for @TheChristie .... #LFC

Always generous Lucas for noble cases

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #2024 on: February 4, 2012, 03:54:46 pm »
Lucas looks like he just woke up, literally, in that picture. Facial expression (despite the smile) plus "bed/pillow hair". Awesome!
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #2025 on: February 4, 2012, 03:56:11 pm »
Was thinking of an email campaign, the lad's having a terrible time of it, least we can do is demand the BBC get his name right.

We have the power...

You're not joking, are you?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2026 on: February 4, 2012, 04:20:54 pm »
Lucas looks like he just woke up, literally, in that picture. Facial expression (despite the smile) plus "bed/pillow hair". Awesome!

Haha, was just scrolling down the pic thinking the same and then saw your post!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #2027 on: February 4, 2012, 05:18:44 pm »
Spotted by GrkStav, but don't think he'll mind me posting on here :)

From the View from Spurs feature on the .tv website:

Liverpool players you wish had signed for Spurs?

It's not a position we're particularly short in, and he's broken at the moment, but I do like Lucas a great deal. And again, while we're not particularly short of skilful attacking players, I think Luis Suarez would do a splendid job in our fluid front four. As for a player who might actually offer us something a bit different, I'm always impressed with Maxi Rodriguez when I see him. As a team that gets a large number of its goals from midfield and wide areas, his goalscoring knack would be quite handy. Don't suppose you're going to let us have any of them, are you?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/the-view-from-white-hart-lane
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2028 on: February 4, 2012, 06:19:07 pm »
Is that Chris Morgan as in Chris 'imagine if you let Charles Bronson play professional football' Morgan?

Offline mulhergremista

• Kopite
« Reply #2029 on: February 4, 2012, 11:52:31 pm »

Give him a break, obviously the picture was taken in some rehab room,  big distance from his bedroom..no picnic at all, he has been trying o be positive and smile for several months now. why this did not happen to..Pepe (the Real Madrid violent brute)  but to Lucas, and now possibly Busquets.. Hope I am wrong

AS TO LUCAS, since his operation he looks like a kid, much younger, it seems he has lost weight, he has a long road to go until full rehab. 
Let us suppport him and send him messages, he said it helped him.

Most of us in similar position (Heavens forbid) would not have shared those pictures, I am thankful to him for sharing this with us.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2030 on: February 4, 2012, 11:54:40 pm »
Got to love how defensive people are over Lucas :lmao

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2031 on: February 5, 2012, 12:33:51 am »
Lucas looks a right tit in that photo.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2032 on: February 5, 2012, 07:43:27 am »
Give him a break, obviously the picture was taken in some rehab room,  big distance from his bedroom..no picnic at all, he has been trying o be positive and smile for several months now. why this did not happen to..Pepe (the Real Madrid violent brute)  but to Lucas, and now possibly Busquets.. Hope I am wrong

AS TO LUCAS, since his operation he looks like a kid, much younger, it seems he has lost weight, he has a long road to go until full rehab. 
Let us suppport him and send him messages, he said it helped him.

Most of us in similar position (Heavens forbid) would not have shared those pictures, I am thankful to him for sharing this with us.

You really have to start looking at who's posting and start looking for the nuances.

Everybody and their grandmother knows I love Lucas.

My twitter picture is me wearing my new away official kit with Lucas 21 on the back. You can hardly see my face at all.

Reserve your didactic tone for the detractors, please.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2033 on: February 5, 2012, 07:46:02 am »
As he's rehabing his knee, he'll probably be hitting the gym quite a bit. I am expecting him to be nice and strong by the time he's fully recovered and ready to rejoin the actual team on the pitch.
Ludi Circenses!

royhendo

« Reply #2034 on: February 5, 2012, 08:38:11 am »
See Jamie's reception, followed by the mother of all welcomes from Pepe and Dirky? Pepe should be the bloody captain.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2035 on: February 5, 2012, 09:01:21 am »
That's a really good video

As much as I love Lucas and enjoyed the clips. I find the whole football vids, music, quotes thing ... well, cringeworthy.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2036 on: February 5, 2012, 12:58:09 pm »
You're not joking, are you?

Maybe slightly. But a few dozen emails should sort it out. The BBC really should be good enough to get someone's name right, when he plays for a top club and has been here for years.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline iiqae

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2037 on: February 5, 2012, 09:35:39 pm »
i just watched replays of our league games away to chelsea and home to man city; i would not be worried at all for monday if he was still fit.

we'll miss him in three ways tomorrow:

-his early passes into suarez (giving him a chance to turn and run at defenders)
-his consistency in providing help to fullbacks. i think back to a tackle he made on james milner when he made a run on enrique.
-closing down passes in midfield. this is by far where we will miss him most. for all of jay's very admirable and praiseworthy endeavor, there will be spaces for modric/parker/vdv to exploit because of their quality and because few players possess lucas' awareness, speed of reaction and precision in the tackle. i fear that if charlie adam plays tomorrow, spurs will know he can be taken advantage of. and with such adept dead-ball specialists as bale, vdv and modric, it makes the point that much more crucial.

if any of your memories of the player we lost for the season have blurred, do yourself a favor and watch some replays. because we arguably don't possess as much individual talent as united, city and spurs, our fulcrum is that much more important to everything we do. to compensate for our less frequent individual flashes of brilliance, we need more consistency and teamwork in our approach. so unfortunate that our embodiment of those qualities is missing tomorrow.

mind you, don't mistake this for a white flag.

*edit*
-i just forgot about what a fantastic defensive header of the ball he is. surely that deserves a mention too given adebayor has linked well with his teammates this season.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2012, 09:37:45 pm by iiqae »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2038 on: February 5, 2012, 09:43:41 pm »
If Lucas wasnt from Brazil he would also be championship fodder.

Lucas is an average football, nothing more, nothing less.

The lad needs to man the fuck up.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2039 on: February 5, 2012, 09:48:40 pm »
I don't like the shape of his nose.