Author Topic: Pre Season  (Read 11427 times)

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
Re: Pre Season
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2011, 11:28:11 pm »
i cant see the logic of giving the likes of poulson and cole so much game time in pre-season, especially when it meant quite a few of our first teamers only had 1 full game before the season started.

You can't see the logic because there is none mate.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2011, 11:32:24 pm »
Can't agree, the whole game was played at a much higher tempo than anything we managed yesterday. Considering we put both of these to the sword a few years ago just fucking depresses me when it's clear they are now streets ahead of us in every department, but that's for another thread I suppose.  :(

Maybe, but players like Alonso or Ozil aren´t really known for being the fastest guys on the planet. But anyway, the thing is that if you wanna play at this tempo, no matter which way you wanna look at it, you need players being able to handle this tempo. What´s the point if you try to play at full speed and players aren´t able to control their passing and play because of lacking this top quality talent.

Mascherano played center back which says it all about the quality in this Barca team. Remember, only a couple of years ago we beat them both pretty easily. Unbelievable isn´t?

I am depressed too, especially as it looked so promising at some point last year.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:35:37 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2011, 11:53:52 pm »
Maybe, but players like Alonso or Ozil aren´t really known for being the fastest guys on the planet. But anyway, the thing is that if you wanna play at this tempo, no matter which way you wanna look at it, you need players being able to handle this tempo. What´s the point if you try to play at full speed and players aren´t able to control their passing and play because of lacking this top quality talent.

Mascherano played center back which says it all about the quality in this Barca team. Remember, only a couple of years ago we beat them both pretty easily. Unbelievable isn´t?

I am depressed too, especially as it looked so promising at some point last year.

to be fair both clubs have moved on since we beat them, for a start madrid spent near 100m quid on just ronaldo and alonso, never mind the others like ozil etc

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2011, 11:56:32 pm »
to be fair both clubs have moved on since we beat them, for a start madrid spent near 100m quid on just ronaldo and alonso, never mind the others like ozil etc

You are right, just saying...

But we did spend a little bit of something this summer as well... on Adam, Henderson, Downing, Carroll and Enrique. How many of them are top quality who could perform in games like that? None. Sorry.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2011, 12:01:39 am »
You are right, just saying...

But we did spend a little bit of something this summer as well... on Adam, Henderson, Downing, Carroll and Enrique. How many of them are top quality who could perform in games like that? None. Sorry.

who would have thought a team who bought a center mid from middlesborough and a striker from chester would dominate europe at a time when barcelona were breaking world records buying players like maradona.
dont write us off before we`ve even got started.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2011, 12:05:09 am »
who would have thought a team who bought a center mid from middlesborough and a striker from chester would dominate europe at a time when barcelona were breaking world records buying players like maradona.

I really do hope you are right mate ;)

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2011, 12:10:57 am »
I really do hope you are right mate ;)

well we also beat barcelona in 1976 (at their ground) when their star player was another world record signing - johann cruyff, our star player cost buttons and we got him from scunthorpe.
dont write this club off mate, it`s the greatest club on the face of this planet.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2011, 12:13:31 am »

dont write this club off mate, it`s the greatest club on the face of this planet.

That´s for sure! ;)

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2011, 12:56:42 am »
Let's look at it:

1. Gerrard - injury lingering from last season
2. Johnson - picked up a hammy injury
3. Lucas - Copa America and played 45 minutes of preseason action
4. Adam - played 60+ for Scotland in midweek and 60+ for us the Saturday before
5. Suarez - Copa America
6. Enrique - arrived about 2 days ago
7. Meireles - played 45 minutes of preseason action and played 45 minutes for Portugal
8. Agger - played 60 in an international game and played 70+ the Saturday before
9. Skrtel - injured

That's basically the spine of our team and all quality players and not fully fit for reasons outside of Kenny's control for the most part. He had to play guys like Lucas and Suarez even if they were going to taper off because the alternatives of N'Gog and Spearing just aren't good enough. The other guys like Downing, Carroll, and Carragher, who got ample rest and preseason action, looked to be our best players on the afternoon for the entirety of the game. I don't exactly think Sunderland had many guys going and winning MVP of the Copa America or playing international ball in midweek. You can make a good argument for Kuyt having been used, but the guy who he will mostly be splitting time with(in Kenny's eyes, position wise) was one of the other fully fit players who got a good run out in preseason in Henderson.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2011, 01:03:50 am »

Legends are made of these.

But then again, legends are few and far.............. 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2012, 12:20:22 pm »
When do the players return for pre season?

I'm guessing the 9th of July?

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2012, 12:24:50 pm »
When do the players return for pre season?

I'm guessing the 9th of July?

How many I want to know. Surely the lads at the euro's will still be on holiday, then you've got Suarez, Coates etc at the Olympics.

Offline Z e u s

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2012, 12:29:41 pm »
How many I want to know. Surely the lads at the euro's will still be on holiday, then you've got Suarez, Coates etc at the Olympics.

I would guess - Jones, Enrique, Maxi, Spearing, Wilson, Carragher, Adam (if fit?!), Suso (or is he with Spain under 21s?), Sterling, Doni, Shelvey, Coady, Skrtel, Eccleston (unless he has been released?), Flanagan, Bellamy (Olympics?), Gulasci, Wisdom, Robinson, Aquilani, Cole, Pacheco, Morgan, Nggo, Teixeira, Silva, Sama, Adorjan... and other academy lads.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2012, 12:32:46 pm »
I think Lucas tweeted something about coming back this week some time, although he will obviously be back early so can be assessed and carry on with his rehabilitation - but should mean the others who weren't on international duty should be back 7-10 days after given the pre-season starts in 24 days.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2012, 12:37:26 pm »

We don't have to release Suarez (we do Coates) and I wonder whether we'll keep him for the Europa qualifiers

Offline Z e u s

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »
I think Lucas tweeted something about coming back this week some time, although he will obviously be back early so can be assessed and carry on with his rehabilitation - but should mean the others who weren't on international duty should be back 7-10 days after given the pre-season starts in 24 days.

How could I forget Lucas in my list! :(

I feel ashamed, I have let myself down!

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2012, 02:44:08 pm »
How could I forget Lucas in my list! :(

I feel ashamed, I have let myself down!

Indeed. I have dreamt of his comeback three times now. He has always been amazing.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2012, 02:55:06 pm »
Our pre season in recent years has been the stuff of legends.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2012, 03:09:12 pm »
Our pre season in recent years has been the stuff of legends.

Thats putting it kindly although some would lead you to believe pre season is useless.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline SteLFC91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2012, 03:22:04 pm »
Henoc Mukendi told me on twitter that they're back on July 5th. Not sure if that's just the reserve team though. Can't wait for our pre-season friendlies to start!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2012, 03:29:53 pm »
What date is our first Europa League qualifying game? Must be in July no?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2012, 03:40:26 pm »
Think it's the 26th of July with the replay on 2nd of August.

Offline McGarnagle

• OOTer, Day Tripper, Paddy, etc.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "What the hell are you Mancs up to?"
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2012, 04:26:29 pm »
What date is our first Europa League qualifying game? Must be in July no?

2nd August
Justice for the 96

RIP

YNWA

Offline hitman89762000

• Young Glasshoppel, apprentice to the arlarses. Exponent of The Sandon's original "Hippy Mod In A Headlock" manoeuvre.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never wanting to be a transfer forum mod.
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2012, 04:33:57 pm »
Bit gutted theres no pre season game at anfield..
@Robbie9Fowler robbie fowler
@ @hitman8976rawk big spunky seaman was fookin massive... I saw the devil in his eyes and shit my undercrackers

PLEASE Sign Kevin Williams 15yeatr life ended at Hillsborough. His inquest is urgent for his terminally ill mum. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

a tweet fro

Offline Z e u s

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2012, 04:35:05 pm »
Edit.

Was looking at last years dates.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:41:59 pm by Z e u s »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2012, 04:39:25 pm »
It is the 4th of August isn't it?

No. The 4th of August is a Saturday. The early Europa League matches are played on Thursdays :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_UEFA_Europa_League#Round_and_draw_dates

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2012, 04:45:48 pm »
Second legs of the 2nd qualy round are on the 26th July so the 3rd round ties will be in August somewhere near the start. Plus we're in USA on 28th July so def not before then!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2012, 04:47:02 pm »

Bit surprised isn't anything to be honest, may well still be something yet. Although with the Europa league starting so early for us they may of decided not to bother.

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:13 pm »
Think this years Pre-season will be more beneficial than last years, with a new system coming into play. Can't wait to see us in action again.
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2012, 08:17:17 pm »

isn't there? let's see
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2012, 08:20:31 pm »
Think this years Pre-season will be more beneficial than last years, with a new system coming into play. Can't wait to see us in action again.

Be the same as any other year, preparing for the season, rustiness out the legs, bit of bonding. Far too much emphasis put on results in preseason these days, was better when we had a couple of dozen in Leverkusen, Fulda or Oslo, no television coverage and all the daft footy manager types had nothing to analyse.

Offline jimmyjr86

• Legacy Fan
  • Up on a hill, here's where we begin...
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2012, 09:16:35 pm »
Looking forward to this. Be good seeing some of the young lads getting a chance.

Offline hitman89762000

• Young Glasshoppel, apprentice to the arlarses. Exponent of The Sandon's original "Hippy Mod In A Headlock" manoeuvre.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never wanting to be a transfer forum mod.
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2012, 01:09:15 am »
Just read on twitter bayer leverkusen ( with big sami) are coming to anfield fr a pre season friendly
@Robbie9Fowler robbie fowler
@ @hitman8976rawk big spunky seaman was fookin massive... I saw the devil in his eyes and shit my undercrackers

PLEASE Sign Kevin Williams 15yeatr life ended at Hillsborough. His inquest is urgent for his terminally ill mum. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

a tweet fro

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2012, 01:13:58 am »
Just read on twitter bayer leverkusen ( with big sami) are coming to anfield fr a pre season friendly

nice one

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2012, 01:15:49 am »

Would be great if true. Hope it's before we leave for North America though. Schedule is already slightly packed for August thanks to our super early start in the Europa League, even more so if we advance (and we should)

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2012, 05:45:16 am »

Fairly sure that there is a game planned 12th Aug (Charity shield day) not sure of opponents

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2012, 08:09:44 am »

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2012/06/28/55578-31277916/?
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #117 on: July 5, 2012, 12:41:33 pm »
So when's the first training session then?

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: July 5, 2012, 01:24:48 pm »
So when's the first training session then?

probably today, just a meeting yesterday by the sounds of it

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 18 LT , 5 EC, 7 FAC, 8 LC, 3 UEFA,
« Reply #119 on: July 5, 2012, 06:41:11 pm »
So all the USA tour games are live on ESPN , good stuff .
Spent sometimes in stormy weather