Author Topic: European Cup Final 1/6/19. LFC v THFC  (Read 235733 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: European Cup Final 1/6/19. LFC v THFC
« Reply #1120 on: May 20, 2019, 03:43:12 pm »
Now that we can name 12 subs, my big query is if should we go with 2 or 3 Keepers? I'm assuming that 2 will be chosen, but considering its a specialized position why take any risks? 10 outfield subs should be more than adequate to cover all areas.
Highly unlikely that 3 will ever be required, but red cards/injury etc. Haven't we used 3 different keepers in one game before? An injury, before our sub keeper was sent off, to be replaced by an outfield player? In think during Dalglish's 2nd era?
in the Kenny era i think the game you are thinking of was Newcastle away when Reina got sent off and Jose Enrique played in goal.

Next game Doni was sent off and Brad Jones played and was nearly sent off too. I know way back in Sept 1982 we drew 3-3 with Luton at Anfield and our three goals were past three different keepers. Amazing given only one sub was allowed then. I think their keeper got injured and they changed keeper at half time from outfield player to another.

I think they will name 2 keepers on the bench like they do in the world cup but hopefully neither is needed. I dont think there is much difference anyway whether there are going to be 10 or 11 outfield players on the bench particularly when you can only use 3 or 4 anyway
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1121 on: May 20, 2019, 03:50:03 pm »
I think its decent, you can give promising youth or peripheral people who worked hard all year or are injured a palace on the bench for a massive occasion in a lifetime even if you have no intention of bringing them on. Something to tell your grand kids even if you never play another game in your life.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1122 on: May 20, 2019, 03:52:46 pm »
I think its decent, you can give promising youth or peripheral people who worked hard all year or are injured a palace on the bench for a massive occasion in a lifetime even if you have no intention of bringing them on. Something to tell your grand kids even if you never play another game in your life.
even back in the day when you would go from 1 sub in league games to 5 you would see some random names on the bench

trying to think of the keepers on the bench from previous finals

Ogrizovic, Bob wardle?, bob Bolder, Chris Pile, Scott Carson, Dudek, Mig

think theres another one. Peter something or other
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #1123 on: May 20, 2019, 04:09:42 pm »
I find it really annoying when people talk about 'smashing' Spurs and talk about them as though it's a walkover against a team from league one or something.

I honestly thought Spurs were one of maybe only 2 or 3 teams we faced all season who controlled the game against us (at Anfield especially once they made a tactical change).

And when you look at their attacking options, Kane, Son, Lucas Moura, Alli, Eriksen - those 5 are as good a five as any in the PL.

I do think that they aren't perhaps as strong at the back as the reputation of their CB's suggests and they're also fairly average at fullback and in goal.

Liverpool have a more well rounded 'team' but Spurs are very very dangerous upfront and in a lot of ways, it could well come down to how their players perform to the occasion as I'm sure our boys will not tolerate losing another final after last years nightmare - these chances do not come often and many players never get it.

I hope the likes of Henderson, Van Dijk, Milner and especially Klopp make it crystal clear to the squad that we HAVE to win that trophy at all costs. It's just not gonna be as easy as some people make out.

FAME makes a man take things over

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1124 on: May 20, 2019, 04:13:29 pm »
Mignolet, Clyne, Leiva, Sakho (Toure), Moreno, Hendo, Can, Milner, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge  (2016, League Cup)

Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Toure, Moreno, Milner, Can, Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge  (2016, Europa League)

Karius, Trent, Lovren, VVD, Robertson, Milner, Henderson, Gini, Salah (Lallana), Firmino, Mane  (2018, CL)

Our previous line ups under Klopp in finals (which are irrelevant). Albeit decent players - and most of the 2018 XI still integral, they do not fill me with the same confidence as our current squad does. Our boys are used to being in control and also very much capable of turning games around, so this is the first of our recent finals I genuine believe we'll win. Im very confident in the players and Klopp. This time we most likely also have players on the bench who can change the game - Sturridge, Shaq, Origi and Keita if fit

Allison, Trent, VVD, Matip, Robertson, Fabinho, Gini, Hendo, Salah, Mane, Firmino

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1125 on: May 20, 2019, 04:28:36 pm »
I find it really annoying when people talk about 'smashing' Spurs and talk about them as though it's a walkover against a team from league one or something.

I honestly thought Spurs were one of maybe only 2 or 3 teams we faced all season who controlled the game against us (at Anfield especially once they made a tactical change).

And when you look at their attacking options, Kane, Son, Lucas Moura, Alli, Eriksen - those 5 are as good a five as any in the PL.

I do think that they aren't perhaps as strong at the back as the reputation of their CB's suggests and they're also fairly average at fullback and in goal.

Liverpool have a more well rounded 'team' but Spurs are very very dangerous upfront and in a lot of ways, it could well come down to how their players perform to the occasion as I'm sure our boys will not tolerate losing another final after last years nightmare - these chances do not come often and many players never get it.

I hope the likes of Henderson, Van Dijk, Milner and especially Klopp make it crystal clear to the squad that we HAVE to win that trophy at all costs. It's just not gonna be as easy as some people make out.

For all the outlandish predictions there have been numerous people stating that it won't be easy, in the end it doesn't matter what we think. There are loads of Spurs supporter who believe they'll be winning it.

Makes no difference,we need to get the job done and the players have been determined all season long to be successful.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1126 on: May 20, 2019, 04:34:09 pm »
I wasnt nervous but as it gets closer, I am getting nervous.

The reason is because we have to win this. I have said before that we will get over the league 2nd place. But if we lose this, I have doubts.

Please, please win. Its a must win game. Failure is not an option.

Online LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #1127 on: May 20, 2019, 04:40:32 pm »

The reason is because we have to win this. I have said before that we will get over the league 2nd place. But if we lose this, I have doubts.

shitting bricks now.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1128 on: May 20, 2019, 04:45:59 pm »
shitting bricks now.

Constipated for the next 11 days  ;D

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1129 on: May 20, 2019, 04:54:59 pm »
Now that we can name 12 subs, my big query is if should we go with 2 or 3 Keepers? I'm assuming that 2 will be chosen, but considering its a specialized position why take any risks? 10 outfield subs should be more than adequate to cover all areas.
Highly unlikely that 3 will ever be required, but red cards/injury etc. Haven't we used 3 different keepers in one game before? An injury, before our sub keeper was sent off, to be replaced by an outfield player? In think during Dalglish's 2nd era?

Assuming everyone bar Keita is fit, and a midfield of Henderson / Fabinho / Gini, our 12 subs could be;

Mignolet
Gomez
Lovren
Moreno
Milner
Chamberlin
Shaqiri
Lallana
Sturridge
Origi
Brewster
Woodburn

So no room/need for a 3rd keeper

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1130 on: May 20, 2019, 05:12:30 pm »
Assuming everyone bar Keita is fit, and a midfield of Henderson / Fabinho / Gini, our 12 subs could be;

Mignolet
Gomez
Lovren
Moreno
Milner
Chamberlin
Shaqiri
Lallana
Sturridge
Origi
Brewster
Woodburn

So no room/need for a 3rd keeper

I think there's a reasonable case for 3 keepers. It would only take two injuries before we're fucked. Or if we do include 3 keepers, we could have 4 tactical changes/injuries to attacking players and still have 2 or 3 players unused on the bench.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1131 on: May 20, 2019, 05:15:49 pm »
Mignolet, Clyne, Leiva, Sakho (Toure), Moreno, Hendo, Can, Milner, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge  (2016, League Cup)

Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Toure, Moreno, Milner, Can, Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge  (2016, Europa League)

Karius, Trent, Lovren, VVD, Robertson, Milner, Henderson, Gini, Salah (Lallana), Firmino, Mane  (2018, CL)

Our previous line ups under Klopp in finals (which are irrelevant). Albeit decent players - and most of the 2018 XI still integral, they do not fill me with the same confidence as our current squad does. Our boys are used to being in control and also very much capable of turning games around, so this is the first of our recent finals I genuine believe we'll win. Im very confident in the players and Klopp. This time we most likely also have players on the bench who can change the game - Sturridge, Shaq, Origi and Keita if fit

Allison, Trent, VVD, Matip, Robertson, Fabinho, Gini, Hendo, Salah, Mane, Firmino

nail on the head

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1132 on: May 20, 2019, 05:50:45 pm »

I agree, not nervous as much as I know I will be later, but the thought of not winning is depressing enough.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1133 on: May 20, 2019, 05:52:10 pm »

I don't think the lads have anything to get over,they got 97pts so shouldn't have any regrets.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1134 on: May 20, 2019, 06:21:17 pm »
To those who have Instagram and follow Ox, please go check his story,Mo sleeping on the floor on a plane behind the seats is hilarious 😭😭😂😂😂

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #1135 on: May 20, 2019, 06:24:01 pm »
I think there's a reasonable case for 3 keepers. It would only take two injuries before we're fucked. Or if we do include 3 keepers, we could have 4 tactical changes/injuries to attacking players and still have 2 or 3 players unused on the bench.

Milner is the third keeper. Why the hell not, he's been boss everywhere else he's been asked to play.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1136 on: May 20, 2019, 06:27:24 pm »

Love that. Needs an apostrophe though, in bird's...
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1137 on: May 20, 2019, 06:43:36 pm »

You left Ox out.  He's more than capable of featuring in this game. :)

Oh tittie milk with you!

Tired of this idiotic factionalism that has the pessimists sniping at the optimists and vice versa.  If it were a league game nobody would bat an eye lid if somebody said, "It's Spurs, smash 'em".

There isn't anybody on this forum who is expecting this game to be easy, okay?  Again, this just comes down to people psychologically preparing themselves to be disappointed if we lose. 

It doesn't matter a jot what we think because Klopp and his mentality monsters will be working hard on this - so allow yourselves to dream and let THEM worry about the actual game!
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1138 on: May 20, 2019, 06:44:41 pm »
To those who have Instagram and follow Ox, please go check his story,Mo sleeping on the floor on a plane behind the seats is hilarious 😭😭😂😂😂

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/bqy4ve/the_egyptian_king_needs_to_sleep/

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1139 on: May 20, 2019, 06:44:49 pm »
shitting bricks now.

Look on the bright side.  By the time the final rolls around you'll be able to build a house. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1140 on: May 20, 2019, 06:45:49 pm »
You left Ox out.  He's more than capable of featuring in this game. :)

Oh tittie milk with you!

Tired of this idiotic factionalism that has the pessimists sniping at the optimists and vice versa.  If it were a league game nobody would bat an eye lid if somebody said, "It's Spurs, smash 'em".

There isn't anybody on this forum who is expecting this game to be easy, okay?  Again, this just comes down to people psychologically preparing themselves to be disappointed if we lose. 

It doesn't matter a jot what we think because Klopp and his mentality monsters will be working hard on this - so allow yourselves to dream and let THEM worry about the actual game!

I think it might be.
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: May 20, 2019, 06:49:55 pm »
I think it might be.

Well of course it MIGHT be.  But you're not EXPECTING it to be. ;) :P  (Come on, back me up here! ;D )

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: May 20, 2019, 07:01:48 pm »
Every time I come into this thread to read and catch up, my stomach starts doing flips. Still 12 days to go!  :butt
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1143 on: May 20, 2019, 07:06:58 pm »
Look on the bright side.  By the time the final rolls around you'll be able to build a house. ;D

2 castles for me  ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1144 on: May 20, 2019, 07:33:02 pm »
Every time I come into this thread to read and catch up, my stomach starts doing flips. Still 12 days to go!  :butt

I'm distraught.  I'm doing a countdown and figured I'd start using Liverpool players, but #1 and #2 are both out on loan!

Popcorn's Art

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #1145 on: May 20, 2019, 07:45:27 pm »
I'm distraught.  I'm doing a countdown and figured I'd start using Liverpool players, but #1 and #2 are both out on loan!
Fuck sake! That's what happens when you send Clyne on loan!  :butt 

if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline AFX

• Kopite
« Reply #1146 on: May 20, 2019, 08:00:26 pm »
My cousin has managed to arrange his wedding on the day of the game. Not going to be shown but there's a pub next door. Sound. I'll just nip off at 20:00 to watch it. Except no. My girlfriend is invited to the evening doo. She arrives at half seven. She hasn't met loads of my extended family and is kicking off about the idea of me shooting off for two hours the moment I arrive.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1147 on: May 20, 2019, 08:59:45 pm »
My cousin has managed to arrange his wedding on the day of the game. Not going to be shown but there's a pub next door. Sound. I'll just nip off at 20:00 to watch it. Except no. My girlfriend is invited to the evening doo. She arrives at half seven. She hasn't met loads of my extended family and is kicking off about the idea of me shooting off for two hours the moment I arrive.
Sometimes a relationship is doomed from the start.  Plenty more fish, my friend.  :)
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Rainbow Laces

• Anny Roader
  • We are the men of Shankly's best

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1149 on: May 20, 2019, 09:18:08 pm »
Probably asked already, but is the match going to be streamed for free on YouTube like it was last year?

Apparently it is, good job as well, cause I don't have BT Sport and don't to rely on a dodgy stream!

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #1150 on: May 20, 2019, 09:55:02 pm »

I hope the likes of Henderson, Van Dijk, Milner and especially Klopp make it crystal clear to the squad that we HAVE to win that trophy at all costs.

You hope Klopp will make it clear that we have to win the game?
Well, I think you're out of luck 'cos the reason Klopp's lost all those finals is 'cos he's never made it clear to his players that he wants to win a final at all cost.
In fact here's what he always tells his players just before the final:

"It will not be the end of the world if we lose tomorrow. Anyone can see how well we played this season and especially during the season and this is a one-off game, so nobody can criticize us if we lose this game. Even if we lose the final, I will still have the highest respect for all we have achieved this season and I will always love you from the bottom of my heart. Big hug."
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1151 on: May 20, 2019, 10:03:57 pm »
i actually watched last years highlights at the weekend

What are you, some kind of sadist?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1152 on: May 20, 2019, 10:13:24 pm »
so how are spurs preparing? camp on the beach or concrete jungle in haringey?

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #1153 on: May 20, 2019, 10:20:34 pm »
so how are spurs preparing? camp on the beach or concrete jungle in haringey?

Extra shifts flogging the merch

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #1154 on: May 20, 2019, 10:25:02 pm »
The extra time sub is something we have never dealt with before.

Will be interesting if in the situation with two minutes left of extra time if either side opts for a penalty taker sub as we have twelve on the bench to pick from.

Could be a moment for Sturridge or something to keep him motivated.  Think he missed one for great britain in olympics as well as the everton drubbing  but scored a big one against United in europa league run.     

More likely to pick someone at the start of Extra Time to adjust formation or replace a knackered player rather than based on penalty kicking ability, don't you think? Mind you, I can see logic in bringing on Milner with both his box to box energy and penalties in mind.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1155 on: May 20, 2019, 10:26:46 pm »
What are you, some kind of sadist?

Surely a masochist if he watched it on his own, but a sadist if he made his kids watch it?

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1156 on: May 20, 2019, 10:40:17 pm »

Where I live there are lots of Spurs fans. Some of them are some of the most annoying people ever when it comes to talking about football.

That, and for other reasons, we HAVE to win this one.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1157 on: May 20, 2019, 11:01:39 pm »
More likely to pick someone at the start of Extra Time to adjust formation or replace a knackered player rather than based on penalty kicking ability, don't you think? Mind you, I can see logic in bringing on Milner with both his box to box energy and penalties in mind.

If Milner doesn’t start, he’s 99/100 coming off the bench in normal time. Winning, drawing or losing, Klopp will have him on.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1158 on: May 20, 2019, 11:10:43 pm »
Penalty takers anyone?

Milner, Salah, Fabinho, Virg all seem good bets to me.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1159 on: May 20, 2019, 11:10:45 pm »
That, and for other reasons, we HAVE to win this one.
I'm not going to jump off a cliff if we lose, but it's going to be massively frustrating if we are beaten.

As crazy as it sounds, we may have better teams in future years that won't win Big Ears. A dodgy penalty decision or a devastating red card in a QF, a freak goal out of nowhere in a SF, or just an off game at the worst possible time in a final. Or a superteam that's absolutely rolling through the tournament that we can't overcome.

That's why this one is so important. We have a truly special team this season. We are the clear favorite (respect to Spurs, who are certainly good). We've got experience in this atmosphere. Number Six is right there, begging for us to grab it.

We must.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski