Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 322937 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: Cody Mathès Gakpo
« Reply #4120 on: April 11, 2024, 10:17:49 pm »
How did he stay on over Nunez? He hardly is a threat.
He was a bigger threat than Nunez in this game. He even made Nunez' chance(s).
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4121 on: April 11, 2024, 10:18:32 pm »
Gakpo played well tonight. He is step by step pulling out of his slump.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4122 on: April 11, 2024, 10:20:24 pm »
He was a bigger threat than Nunez in this game. He even made Nunez' chance(s).

He was hardly any threat. Did he even have a shot that second half? He was our forward.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4123 on: April 11, 2024, 10:21:24 pm »
He has 5 key passes and 1.4 expected assists alone by himself this game lol. Get a rating of 8.4 on sofascore (our next best is 7). 1.4 xA in a game is an outrageous number btw.

The people who can go to this thread and criticise him. Haha. Just shows you they have no clue about assessing a player's performance. Just vibing.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4124 on: April 11, 2024, 10:30:37 pm »
He was hardly any threat. Did he even have a shot that second half? He was our forward.
Look, I'm not Gakpo's biggest fan, you can check my earlier posts, but we have to be fair and praise him when he does well. Two games ago he had a wonderful cameo, followed by a totally shit cameo the very next game. This game he should not be the one criticized the most, same with Elliott. Gakpo had a couple of poor shots at goal, but created chances the we should have finished off. We didn't.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #4125 on: April 11, 2024, 10:34:08 pm »
Played well the opening half hour (but still fucked up a gilt edged pass for a counter), after that the entire team fell to pieces.
AHA!

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4126 on: April 11, 2024, 10:41:23 pm »
Not brilliant but ok, so probably our MOTM considering how shit the rest were

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4127 on: April 11, 2024, 10:42:13 pm »
Probably trying to not run Nunez into the ground with multiple 90s

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4128 on: April 11, 2024, 10:43:05 pm »
He’s just isn’t good enough for me, Jota was far more direct and threatening in much less time.

Yes a few good runs first few minutes then he’s invisible. Zero shots at home in Europe isn’t good enough.

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #4129 on: April 11, 2024, 10:53:09 pm »
He’s just isn’t good enough for me, Jota was far more direct and threatening in much less time.

Yes a few good runs first few minutes then he’s invisible. Zero shots at home in Europe isn’t good enough.
He's not invisible. It's you who are blind.

37 passes completed (84%)
11/15 duels won
5/6 successful dribbles
5 key passes
2 big chances created
1.4 expected assists

He has 0 shot because aside from him (and partly Robbo) the rest of the team created fuck all.

If you look at those stats alone it's a MOTM performance. If the team wins it's a 10/10 performance.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4130 on: April 11, 2024, 10:57:10 pm »
He's not invisible. It's you who are blind.

37 passes completed (84%)
11/15 duels won
5/6 successful dribbles
5 key passes
2 big chances created
1.4 expected assists

He has 0 shot because aside from him (and partly Robbo) the rest of the team created fuck all.

If you look at those stats alone it's a MOTM performance. If the team wins it's a 10/10 performance.

Are you his mum? When he starts being a menace in the box his stats might make sense, until then he isn’t doing enough.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4131 on: April 11, 2024, 10:57:33 pm »
Think this was a game well suited to him and he played well, he shrugged his marker off a lot and went on some good runs, winning a lot of fouls and getting their players booked. I think that one pass to Elliot has soured the performance for a lot of people but I don't think one poor pass is enough to criticise anyone.

He created a decent amount but Nunez was wasteful as usual and Elliot just didn't have the pace or strength to exploit any openings that did get created.

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #4132 on: April 11, 2024, 10:59:21 pm »
Are you his mum? When he starts being a menace in the box his stats might make sense, until then he isn’t doing enough.
Yes i am his mum. Now go argue with those stats kid.

Dude played left winger and dropped deep all game to create. Made 5 chances (2 big ones) then gets criticised for not shooting enough. What a joke. It's like me coming to Nunez thread after a hattrick and criticising him for not making assists.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:02:08 pm by PEG2K »

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4133 on: April 11, 2024, 11:02:30 pm »

Dude played left winger and dropped deep all game to create. Made 5 chances (2 big ones) then gets criticised for not shooting enough. What a joke. It's like me coming to Nunez thread after a hattrick and criticising him for not making assists.

Nunez was shit as well.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4134 on: April 11, 2024, 11:12:18 pm »
He actually looked good until all the desperate changes. My issue has never been with the player himself, but the signing itself. If we wanted a winger (which we are short of) he was the wrong type - clearly, because he gets most of his minutes in the middle - if we want him to do what Bobby's done for us previously, he needs clever movement around him. He's not getting that with Elliott on his right and Darwin on his left. Klopp admits the experiment in midfield was a failure. So what did we think we were getting and what are we doing with him?

Offline PEG2K

• Kopite
« Reply #4135 on: April 11, 2024, 11:21:43 pm »
He actually looked good until all the desperate changes. My issue has never been with the player himself, but the signing itself. If we wanted a winger (which we are short of) he was the wrong type - clearly, because he gets most of his minutes in the middle - if we want him to do what Bobby's done for us previously, he needs clever movement around him. He's not getting that with Elliott on his right and Darwin on his left. Klopp admits the experiment in midfield was a failure. So what did we think we were getting and what are we doing with him?
Doesn't really matter now. A new manager is coming in with a new system. He could be moved on, or others. But if Amorim comes and plays a 343. He'll be more suited to the inside forward role than either the left winger or central striker role. So are Jota, Elliott, and Szoboszlai (and Carvalho who is coming back).

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #4136 on: April 12, 2024, 07:29:45 am »
One of the few positives player wise but movement wise struggled to connect with Nunez. Both players struggled to decide who was going to fill the space wide left depending on how the attack built up. Tsimikas didn't help with the link up either.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4137 on: April 12, 2024, 07:31:24 am »

He was way better than Nunez yesterday.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #4138 on: April 12, 2024, 07:33:05 am »
He was way better than Nunez yesterday.

Yes he coped better with the physicality. It was always going to be one of the two coming off.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4139 on: April 12, 2024, 09:29:38 am »
He played well yesterday but in isolation, and by that I mean he was doing a lot of good work but not really connecting with everyone else. I think that's mostly because everyone else was really bad, but I do think part of it was that his style didn't naturally fit with the others in attack.

It is an odd one where I can say he looked really really good but also very ineffective

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4140 on: April 12, 2024, 09:40:42 am »
He played well yesterday but in isolation, and by that I mean he was doing a lot of good work but not really connecting with everyone else. I think that's mostly because everyone else was really bad, but I do think part of it was that his style didn't naturally fit with the others in attack.

It is an odd one where I can say he looked really really good but also very ineffective

Him and Nunez want to play in the same space so we are never joined up or fluid, we looked better when Gakpo was central and Nunez went out wide left.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #4141 on: April 12, 2024, 09:54:28 am »

What sort of ridiculous nonsense is that? You say he didn't play well, someone responds with stats which show he was actually pretty good and you reply with that :D

No-one was outstanding but he was easily the best of a bad bunch. Pretty daft to talk about Jota being 'more direct' when Gakpo created a couple of great chances for him and he 50p headed them both into the stand.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4142 on: April 12, 2024, 09:58:31 am »
What sort of ridiculous nonsense is that? You say he didn't play well, someone responds with stats which show he was actually pretty good and you reply with that :D

No-one was outstanding but he was easily the best of a bad bunch. Pretty daft to talk about Jota being 'more direct' when Gakpo created a couple of great chances for him and he 50p headed them both into the stand.

Imagine you saying anyone elses posts ridiculous nonsense, wonder which former banned poster you are.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4143 on: April 12, 2024, 10:10:11 am »
He was good and one of the only players to come into the game looking like he wanted to put things right after the weekend.

He was one of our only players who over commited the opposition and looked to carry the ball and he did it from the very start. Against a side that wants to go man to man you have to draw them into challenges and make them commit early. I cant believe after YEARS of playing pressing football and seeing some sides manage to play one touch football and overcome our press people still dont see the need to move the ball quickly or draw them into those overzealous challenges and drag them out of position.

Gakpo did this very well and it’s a shame the rest of the team didn’t show the same fight from the off. He won the majority of his duels and in these games it’s exactly what makes the difference. He’s been guilty of looking too pedestrian in numerous games but yesterday was the opposite and we needed more of it across the field.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4144 on: April 12, 2024, 10:33:21 am »
Did people really watch that match last night and think Nunez played better than Gakpo? Really?

For me just about the only positives from last night are that Gakpo looked decent and Jota came on and looked sharp. I would 100% be starting Diaz, Gakpo and Salah on Sunday.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #4145 on: April 12, 2024, 11:41:17 am »
Did people really watch that match last night and think Nunez played better than Gakpo? Really?

For me just about the only positives from last night are that Gakpo looked decent and Jota came on and looked sharp. I would 100% be starting Diaz, Gakpo and Salah on Sunday.

That'll be fun and in no way pedestrian against a low block.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4146 on: April 12, 2024, 11:49:21 am »

Sorry but when Gakpo went up front he couldnt really get past his man despite someone being tight to him, didnt create enough and wasnt a goal threat. Nunez did with his pace create some opportunities. He had his own issues but we made it easy for them taking Gakpo off.

Personally I just dont think he is good enough at all and in the summer look to move him on.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4147 on: April 12, 2024, 01:12:35 pm »

He is not handsome enough

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4148 on: April 12, 2024, 03:40:02 pm »
Him and Nunez want to play in the same space so we are never joined up or fluid, we looked better when Gakpo was central and Nunez went out wide left.

But then I think we looked even better when Nunez is central and Jota or Diaz are wide left.

Gakpo may suit better into Amorim's system, but then I don't know if he is the best for that or if better can be brought in.

His best position is playing behind the striker like in Amorim's system, but I don't think he is the best player in that position, or certainly not one where there are not better and realistic options available to us

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4149 on: April 12, 2024, 06:09:08 pm »
Sorry but when Gakpo went up front he couldnt really get past his man despite someone being tight to him, didnt create enough and wasnt a goal threat. Nunez did with his pace create some opportunities. He had his own issues but we made it easy for them taking Gakpo off.

Personally I just dont think he is good enough at all and in the summer look to move him on.

If the Gakpo transfer is anything to go by, it serves as an important reminder to leave recruitment in the scouting experts - i.e. the recruitment team and DoF. That's their job, their main focus and what they are paid big bucks to do. This is one major benefit of the restructure which should, all things considering, give that power back to the men upstairs.

That strategy did well for us before more authority over transfers was given to Klopp and Lijnders, so why they deviated from a model that was so successful is just self-sabotage.

Gakpo is a good player, but he's not good enough for Liverpool's level. You could say that for a few more in the squad brought in. We're using the likes of Firmino, Mane, etc as benchmarks. You can make the argument that he's brought in as a utility player, but even then, he's nowhere near the level of an Origi. Heck, if we're using the likes of Firmino, Mane and Salah as a benchmark, then even Diaz isn't anywhere near good enough.

Given the flagrant spending of our rivals and their ability to easily rectify duff signings, every signing for us has to work and dropping the ball has major repercussions. We can't afford passengers and it only takes one mediocre signing to throw everything out of sync.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 06:12:11 pm by mattD »

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4150 on: April 12, 2024, 09:09:48 pm »
Do we actually know the Gapko signing was identitied and driven by Ljinders and Klopp? Utterly bizarre if so, not least given we were absolute desperate for a CM who could run. If we’d have had one in January we probably woulda got top 4. Endo in January might have got us there.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4151 on: April 12, 2024, 09:41:33 pm »

The Gakpo signing never made sense as a 9 when we already had Jota and Nunez. And he's never really played wide and been a fish out of water in midfield.

If there was one position that didn't need strengthening last January it was probably a centre forward (still had Firmino at the time as well). if we'd signed a pacy wide player instead, for example, it would have balanced the attack out more.

We were crying out for legs in midfield. The whole transfer strategy last season was a bit of a shambles.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 09:46:29 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #4152 on: April 14, 2024, 10:11:48 am »
I’d be starting him personally today. This won’t win me many friends but I think our attack has been better minus Salah this calendar year. I’d have him off the left, Diaz off the right with Nunez centre and the three rotating. Salah on around 50/60 if needs be.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #4153 on: April 14, 2024, 11:09:56 am »
I’d be starting him personally today. This won’t win me many friends but I think our attack has been better minus Salah this calendar year.

I don't know that I'd start Cody but I agree with this, I doubt you could sensibly debate it on here though.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #4154 on: April 14, 2024, 12:47:35 pm »
I don't know that I'd start Cody but I agree with this, I doubt you could sensibly debate it on here though.

We’ve looked better without Salah pressing wise for sure.

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4155 on: April 14, 2024, 04:03:12 pm »
Should be walking away with a number of assists and probably MOTM.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4156 on: April 14, 2024, 04:04:02 pm »
Did well. Shame the rest around him were shite

Offline Le Westalero

• Main Stander
  • You can count on Jürgen Norbert Klopp
« Reply #4157 on: April 14, 2024, 04:04:47 pm »
Great performance. Shame he didn't play more today.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4158 on: April 14, 2024, 04:05:44 pm »
We’ve looked better without Salah pressing wise for sure.

Yeah, Salah is a passenger off the ball and on the ball he stank the place out today.

Offline elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #4159 on: April 14, 2024, 04:06:30 pm »
Best player on the pitch today.