Author Topic: Harvey Elliott (Harvey Daniel James Elliott)  (Read 606530 times)

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Harvey Elliott (Harvey Daniel James Elliott)
« Reply #5920 on: March 11, 2024, 06:04:49 am »
Gets criticised for his lack of strength and pace, but fuck me his stamina is ridiculous.

I’ve criticised his pace and have worried about his physical limitations in the past but these last few weeks  he’s been showing what an engine he’s got on him. He may never be the quickest but there isn’t half value in being able to sprint time after time after time in a game.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5921 on: March 11, 2024, 07:30:21 am »
Played an incredible number of minutes recently, his stamina and fitness is off the charts.

20 years old and only going to get better.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5922 on: March 11, 2024, 07:38:18 am »
Played an incredible number of minutes recently, his stamina and fitness is off the charts.

20 years old and only going to get better.

The lad would run through brick walls to get game time for his boyhood club. Always has his head up either with the ball at his feet or looking for someone to press against.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline fenre

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #5923 on: March 11, 2024, 08:26:37 am »
It is just crazy to think that Elliott is the same age as both Bradley and Quansah. He is an absolute gem. Just look at him when we compare him to the captain of Arsenal for example:

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #5924 on: March 11, 2024, 10:13:15 am »
I’ve criticised his pace and have worried about his physical limitations in the past but these last few weeks  he’s been showing what an engine he’s got on him. He may never be the quickest but there isn’t half value in being able to sprint time after time after time in a game.

I've been surprised you've been down on him when you're into numbers.. because numbers over time don't lie and his have always been outstanding - when you map them onto his age pretty much off the charts... the numbers basically describe his physical ability because if you can't get on the ball consistently you can't post great on the ball numbers
Its totally fair comment that as a general rule to well in the modern game at the top level you have to be elite athletically or you have to be really really special so I do agree with being cautious hyping youngstes who don't have the physical tools, he's just one of the special ones that can make it without a crazy top end speed or size.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5925 on: March 11, 2024, 10:20:46 am »
He deserves a song. 

Imagine the pride he'd feel to hear the Kop acknowledging him like that 🤗

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #5926 on: March 11, 2024, 10:22:10 am »
Some of his ball control yesterday was phenomenal. It had to be too because he was often receiving the thing under immense pressure. The team also looks to him (and Mac Allister) to play through the press. He constantly surprises me with the short passes he finds which open up space for the team. The stamina is great too, but his real qualities lie elsewhere.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5927 on: March 11, 2024, 10:23:29 am »

I'm in the same boat, really thought his lack of speed and physical power would be an issue but he's proving me wrong.  He just doesn't stop running.

He'll always have situations where he's burned for pace or fairly easily muscled off the ball, but the tenacity and determination he's got is really making up for that and I have no problem with him starting big games.

Think it would be good to give him a little rest midweek though.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5928 on: March 11, 2024, 10:25:43 am »
Some of his ball control yesterday was phenomenal. It had to be too because he was often receiving the thing under immense pressure. The team also looks to him (and Mac Allister) to play through the press. He constantly surprises me with the short passes he finds which open up space for the team. The stamina is great too, but his real qualities lie elsewhere.

Yeah there was a moment in the second half where he was running towards the box and got closed down by 2 City players in a spot almost everyone loses it .. had zero space and somehow popped it out 3 yards to a team mate like a magic trick

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #5929 on: March 11, 2024, 03:37:40 pm »
Yeah there was a moment in the second half where he was running towards the box and got closed down by 2 City players in a spot almost everyone loses it .. had zero space and somehow popped it out 3 yards to a team mate like a magic trick
That moment stuck out to me, too. Elliot will become a star if he can develop that press resistance to its fullest. Drawing in defenders and knowing the exact moment to play a last second pass defined the careers of players like Xavi, Iniesta, and Silva--that whole golden generation of Spanish midfielders. Just exceptional timing. I'm curious how he might stack up to statistically to Silva in particular? Seems like a great career trajectory for him.     

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5930 on: March 11, 2024, 03:42:29 pm »
His best game for us!   Never stopped,  was a bit unsure on him but he’s proved me wrong

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5931 on: March 11, 2024, 04:24:32 pm »
I've been surprised you've been down on him when you're into numbers.. because numbers over time don't lie and his have always been outstanding - when you map them onto his age pretty much off the charts... the numbers basically describe his physical ability because if you can't get on the ball consistently you can't post great on the ball numbers
Its totally fair comment that as a general rule to well in the modern game at the top level you have to be elite athletically or you have to be really really special so I do agree with being cautious hyping youngstes who don't have the physical tools, he's just one of the special ones that can make it without a crazy top end speed or size.

I think I’m more negative about the downsides of non elite athleticism in an off the ball sense than you are. So when I see City cut through us on the counter/ in transition yesterday (as you saw too because you mentioned it) I’m partly blaming that on a somewhat one paced midfield (with the exception of Szoboslai). It’s why I’m a little concerned with MacAllister at 6 despite his numbers being outstanding. Because what the numbers can’t show so easily is what happens in transition when you don’t have the legs to get back in behind the ball. It’s in that sense that I worry about Elliot’s pace. But I suspect you’d have no issue with MacAllister cloned at 6 and 8 alongside Elliot as a midfield 3. I may just be totally scarred by witnessing a midfield which has lost its legs in a Klopp team last season of course.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 04:36:35 pm by Knight »

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5932 on: March 11, 2024, 04:42:58 pm »
I do think as fans we’ve somehow become a little obsessed with what a player’s weaknesses are and sometimes allow that to cloud our judgment a little too much. I’ve been watching a player over the last few weeks who looks like he could be elite. He seems to be able to step into games when other players would just settle into being a passenger, he consistently wants the ball and he tries (quite successfully) to make things happen. I’m not bothered about his athleticism, I think this obsession with midfielders being able to snuff counter attacks out is bizarre when you have elite athletes ahead of them and behind them, if you’re compact the spaces shouldn’t be too big to regularly be exposed. My only complaint with him (and you could shelve this at quite a lot of our offensive players) is his decision making, his final ball can be outrageous, yet he shoots an awful lot, some of them are really sloppy as well, like trying to finesse one with his right foot from 25+ yards with defenders blocking most of the goal. He’s at his best when he engages defenders, when he takes a poor shot on he’s giving them a free pass. I do wonder how much of this is under instruction as so many of our frustrating halves this season have been halves where we’ve wasted a lot of phases shooting too early from poor positions.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5933 on: March 11, 2024, 04:43:35 pm »
I think I’m more negative about the downsides of non elite athleticism in an off the ball sense than you are. So when I see City cut through us on the counter/ in transition yesterday (as you saw too because you mentioned it) I’m partly blaming that on a somewhat one paced midfield (with the exception of Szoboslai). It’s why I’m a little concerned with MacAllister at 6 despite his numbers being outstanding. Because what the numbers can’t show so easily is what happens in transition when you don’t have the legs to get back in behind the ball. It’s in that sense that I worry about Elliot’s pace. But I suspect you’d have no issue with MacAllister cloned at 6 and 8 alongside Elliot as a midfield 3. I may just be totally scarred by witnessing a midfield which has lost its legs in a Klopp team last season of course.

yeah that's fair.. its been the only negative of our team this season - we're not quite elite in terms of defensive numbers and part of that is lack of the kind of athleticism you're describing in midfield I agree. Harvey will almost always play as the most advanced midfielder with us you'd think which helps in his individual case.. then the rest is systemic - Arsenal carry Oodegard who I'd aruge is worse than Harvey defensively.. KDB last made a defensive tracking run in 2017 etc

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5934 on: March 11, 2024, 04:48:10 pm »
fair play Jack yesterday was the day where i really thought Eliott looks a super talent. He was superb.
Like a young Bernado Silva

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #5935 on: March 11, 2024, 06:35:28 pm »
Thought it was brave of Klopp to have him, Bradley, Quansah, and Mac Allister all play off the right side. Curious why he took that route. Obviously it worked out brilliantly, just don't know enough about the tactical side of the game to understand why.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #5936 on: March 11, 2024, 07:16:52 pm »
Would like to add he has crazy levels of fitness, have we ever seen anyone fitter in a red shirt? Box to box sprints from the lad and he still lasts the full 90, looking less tired than others.

City must have hated facing Endo and Mac, but just as they finally get past them... Elliot is doing a sprint into our penalty area or right back. Not a light run, a full on sprint. Even I've got to ask about inhalers!
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5937 on: March 12, 2024, 04:57:19 am »
how the lad is still able to move amazes me.  he's played a million minutes recently, most of it at a full-out sprint.

I wish ppl on here would stop nitpicking the shit out of him - and other players - by constantly pointing out his weaknesses.  every player in the history of the world has had weaknesses ffs.

just support the lad, eh?

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5938 on: March 12, 2024, 04:59:31 am »
Would like to add he has crazy levels of fitness, have we ever seen anyone fitter in a red shirt? Box to box sprints from the lad and he still lasts the full 90, looking less tired than others.

City must have hated facing Endo and Mac, but just as they finally get past them... Elliot is doing a sprint into our penalty area or right back. Not a light run, a full on sprint. Even I've got to ask about inhalers!

reminds me of Callaghan.  different style of player completely but in terms of effort and commitment, very similar.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5939 on: March 12, 2024, 05:41:56 am »
how the lad is still able to move amazes me.  he's played a million minutes recently, most of it at a full-out sprint.

I wish ppl on here would stop nitpicking the shit out of him - and other players - by constantly pointing out his weaknesses.  every player in the history of the world has had weaknesses ffs.

just support the lad, eh?

Is this directed at me? I think he’s mustard and am very much supporting the lad. Unsurprisingly a discussion forum’s player thread tends to produce discussion about the player. 

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #5940 on: March 12, 2024, 06:29:52 am »
Deserves a call up to the national team. He has been brilliant.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5941 on: March 12, 2024, 07:20:39 am »
I thought he was wasteful. Lost some very dangerous passes in the centre which led to dangerous counters.
And in the end he chose to cross with his right several times, why?

You've got some decent takes elsewhere, but your views on Elliott need calling out. A few weeks back you said "Harvey is pretty dreadful", since then he's been integral to us winning a cup and continuing our charge to the league title, despite our squad being ravaged by injuries. To not recognise the effort he's put in, let alone the quality he's brought to the team in this time, but instead to focus on him crossing with his right foot, is pretty dreadful posting.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5942 on: March 12, 2024, 08:09:51 am »
You've got some decent takes elsewhere, but your views on Elliott need calling out. A few weeks back you said "Harvey is pretty dreadful", since then he's been integral to us winning a cup and continuing our charge to the league title, despite our squad being ravaged by injuries. To not recognise the effort he's put in, let alone the quality he's brought to the team in this time, but instead to focus on him crossing with his right foot, is pretty dreadful posting.
100% correct.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5943 on: March 12, 2024, 08:27:47 am »

Good post Avens.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #5944 on: March 12, 2024, 08:31:57 am »
Complaining about a player's two-footedness is certainly very strange.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #5945 on: March 12, 2024, 08:49:30 am »
yeah that's fair.. its been the only negative of our team this season - we're not quite elite in terms of defensive numbers and part of that is lack of the kind of athleticism you're describing in midfield I agree. Harvey will almost always play as the most advanced midfielder with us you'd think which helps in his individual case.. then the rest is systemic - Arsenal carry Oodegard who I'd aruge is worse than Harvey defensively.. KDB last made a defensive tracking run in 2017 etc
Once Curtis and Dom are fully fit, I'd expect Harvey to rotate more with Mac. So have a pairing of Mac/Harvey and Curtis/Dom with Endo holding. I think that will allow us to have a bit more athleticism on the pitch at all times.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5946 on: March 12, 2024, 08:55:55 am »
Gets criticised for his lack of strength and pace, but fuck me his stamina is ridiculous.

Definitely.  Being small and not having much strength or speed is usually too much of a handicap in the PL.

Players like Modric and David Silva managed to overcome it through sheer technique and vision.  I can't see Harvey reaching that kind of level, but I would say Bernardo Silva level is probably a more realistic target.  Can't stand the guy but there are a lot of similar attributes there.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5947 on: March 12, 2024, 09:09:35 am »
Once Curtis and Dom are fully fit, I'd expect Harvey to rotate more with Mac. So have a pairing of Mac/Harvey and Curtis/Dom with Endo holding. I think that will allow us to have a bit more athleticism on the pitch at all times.

Role wise I dunno if that works though. Szoboslai and Elliot are our attacking midfielders. Jones and MacAllister play a more holding role. So you want one of Szoboslai or Elliot and Mac or Jones on the pitch all the time. The best way of getting more athleticism in midfield is by playing Jones and Szoboslai together with Mac as our 6. Endo as backup 6/ useful when we want to move MacAllister forward a little, Elliot as backup CAM.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5948 on: March 12, 2024, 09:34:28 am »
Please keep flying the 'England Hype Radar' for as long as possible.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #5949 on: March 12, 2024, 09:40:09 am »
I think he is still underrated. He is the first name on the teamsheet right now with Jurgen because he is consistent and he gives his everything throughout the whole game. His ball protection has improved massively this season wherein he almost never loses it under pressure. He is also really good at carrying the ball through tight spaces and allowing us to transition. Also, he tracks back..every single time and protects his right back which has been Bradley a lot of the times allowing the lad to have the freedom to go forward knowing that he'll get protection. Right now Curtis is fighting with Macca for the left no.8 spot when he returns and its between Dom and Harvey for the right no.8 and given Dom is still getting his match fitness, Harvey starts ahead of him for me.
I dont buy into pecking orders, some players take their chances and should get to keep their place if they perform at a high level week in week out. Harvey has done all that. He is the future of this team and has worked his socks off to get to the level that is expected in a red shirt. He'll only get better so I can see his ceiling being much higher than any other midfielder we have because of how fit he keeps himself and his attitude on the pitch which resembles Mo completely. Bookmark this if you want, but he'll be one of the best Midfielders in the league, let alone our team, for the next decade if he continues on this path.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5950 on: March 12, 2024, 09:42:34 am »
Deserves a call up to the national team. He has been brilliant.
What has he done to upset you?!  ;)

I agree though that he's been really good of late.  He's probably the only player in the squad that can play the #8 and wide forward positions equally well which is so useful for when we want to make in-game adjustments.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5951 on: March 12, 2024, 10:08:42 am »
Very much doubt Harvey gets an England call up whilst Sir Harold Kane of England is around, they've got a bit of previous.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5952 on: March 12, 2024, 10:27:30 am »
Still makes me chuckle how he played for England U21's at Goodison a few months back & the blueshite fans were booing him. They can't help themselves can they ?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5953 on: March 12, 2024, 10:29:40 am »
I think he is still underrated. He is the first name on the teamsheet right now with Jurgen because he is consistent and he gives his everything throughout the whole game. His ball protection has improved massively this season wherein he almost never loses it under pressure. He is also really good at carrying the ball through tight spaces and allowing us to transition. Also, he tracks back..every single time and protects his right back which has been Bradley a lot of the times allowing the lad to have the freedom to go forward knowing that he'll get protection. Right now Curtis is fighting with Macca for the left no.8 spot when he returns and its between Dom and Harvey for the right no.8 and given Dom is still getting his match fitness, Harvey starts ahead of him for me.
I dont buy into pecking orders, some players take their chances and should get to keep their place if they perform at a high level week in week out. Harvey has done all that. He is the future of this team and has worked his socks off to get to the level that is expected in a red shirt. He'll only get better so I can see his ceiling being much higher than any other midfielder we have because of how fit he keeps himself and his attitude on the pitch which resembles Mo completely. Bookmark this if you want, but he'll be one of the best Midfielders in the league, let alone our team, for the next decade if he continues on this path.

I wouldn't say he's first name on the team sheet but that's not a jab at him. He suits open games much more than games against the lower teams where they press like maniacs for the first 30 minutes, he tends to get forced into errors in those games and doesn't find the room to do damage. Conversely, he's really good in the final 30 of those games when the opposition is exhausted and can't handle a player buzzing around constantly.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #5954 on: March 12, 2024, 02:38:11 pm »
Definitely.  Being small and not having much strength or speed is usually too much of a handicap in the PL.

Players like Modric and David Silva managed to overcome it through sheer technique and vision.  I can't see Harvey reaching that kind of level, but I would say Bernardo Silva level is probably a more realistic target.  Can't stand the guy but there are a lot of similar attributes there.

He might reach David Silva's level. Harvey has a better goals/assists per minutes ratio in the league than Silva did at 20, when he debuted for Valencia. They finished 4th that season. The difference is Silva was a starter and played 20 more full matches than Harvey has so far this season. We just need Harvey to show he can keep up his production as a starter. He has shown he can do it as a sub. He might be that player! 

Offline Schmohawk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5955 on: March 12, 2024, 02:59:54 pm »
I've been thinking for weeks that I need to write this post.

I've been very critical of Elliott earlier but I've been made to eat humble pie in the best possible way. This year and the last few months especially I feel he has taken a massive leap forward. He suddenly feels like one of the more established players in the squad even though he's about the same age as Conor Bradley who we have all been praising lately - and rightly so. I'm amazed that there's still any juice left in Elliott's legs because he's been run into the ground for a few weeks now it seems.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5956 on: March 12, 2024, 03:08:10 pm »
he really plays for the badge. living the dream.

excited to see what he could do if (?) we get Alonso and we can get Elliott playing the Wirtz role.
YNWA.

Online Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5957 on: March 14, 2024, 04:16:22 pm »
Harsh omission from the England squad, he's been brilliant the last few weeks.

Still, at least Sir Gareth Waistcoat has offered Kalvin Phillips a personal apology for not selecting him.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5958 on: March 14, 2024, 04:34:03 pm »
Harvey's still eligible for the u21's for another tournament cycle. I'd much rather he plays with them than with Waistcoat.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5959 on: March 14, 2024, 04:36:51 pm »
Harvey's still eligible for the u21's for another tournament cycle. I'd much rather he plays with them than with Waistcoat.

I dunno, I think he'd get less game time with the seniors, but would be better for the experience.  The u21s will flog him.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.