Author Topic: Formula One - The 2023 Season  (Read 89532 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Formula One - The 2023 Season
« on: January 12, 2023, 02:45:16 pm »

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
Re: Formula One - The 2023 Season
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 02:56:20 pm »

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 03:43:59 pm »
Livery launches on Instagram are awful.

Bring back Superbowl Halftime Show-style parades at the Royal Albert Hall with the car being skydived in by the RAF before a performance from Little Mix.

I'm actually surprised Liberty haven't forced through the "launch event" idea where all 10 cars are launched one-by-one over 3 hours on European primetime TV.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 08:36:32 pm »
What do we think of the news that Cadillac might be joining as a constructor?

It’s a bit like hearing that like there was going to be an Austin Allegro team
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 08:48:24 pm »
I always look forward to pre season testing. Think Max will win the title again but it would be good if it was a three way fight between constructors.
Hopefully Piastri does well, be nice for McLaren to have a competitive car closer to the front.

Also drive to survive is on 24th Feb.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 08:58:51 am »

I'm all for more teams/constructors as long as they're relatively competitive i.e not HRT
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 09:36:58 am »
I’d like a couple more teams on the grid but agree with Mr Squid that this only really helps if they’re competitive. They don’t need to be up with Merc and RBR but a strong midfield showing to add to the racing would be good as a start.

I’m going to revise my Sky contract as I can’t justify paying the amount I am at the moment for the amount I’m watching. I’m hoping I can reduce some aspects of the Sports but keep the F1, which I did in the past by keeping the HD package.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 12:51:23 pm »
James Vowles the new team principle of Williams.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 01:08:11 pm »
James Vowles the new team principle of Williams.

Bit odd that right?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 01:14:07 pm »
Bit odd that right?
Massive step down in terms of teams but he's now got the top job at a team.

Maybe Wolff wasn't showing any signs of stepping down. Hard to see what he can do to improve things though. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 09:31:30 am »
Seems the rumours about Porsche getting involved with Williams are wide of the mark, but I expect there will be plenty of noise about it anyway. Much like the Transfer thread, in many ways.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 05:16:45 pm »
I’m excited for the new season (although it’ll probably be another Verstappen cakewalk), but I have to admit I’m a tad underwhelmed by the driver lineup this year.  A couple of rookies (albeit highly rated in Piastri’s case) and some fairly uninspiring drivers (Zhou, Hulkenberg, Tsunoda, Stroll, De Vries) filling out the grid.  And no real comedy value in the shape of Latifi or Mazipin either  :-\

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2023, 05:22:04 pm »

I'm surprised this wasn't discussed here earlier but it seems like they don't have the votes to join at the moment. I wonder if the issue is more Andretti than GM though. Supposedly there are other bids but if you have GM via Cadillac committed then unless you're getting Ford I'm not sure how else you can try to grow over here if you want an American team.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2023, 05:51:14 pm »
I’m excited for the new season (although it’ll probably be another Verstappen cakewalk)
I'm personally not so sure. Merc were getting competitive towards the end of the season and I'd expect them to have made greater strides over the winter. Who knows with Ferrari but hopefully McLaren can get a couple of wins this season!
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2023, 05:56:16 pm »
I'm personally not so sure. Merc were getting competitive towards the end of the season and I'd expect them to have made greater strides over the winter. Who knows with Ferrari but hopefully McLaren can get a couple of wins this season!
The biggest thing about the new car reveals will be the Merc….

Will it still have no side pods?   The reveal will be ……revealing!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2023, 06:10:07 pm »

I'm not an avid F1 fan, though I normally catch most races.

From memory, I don't recall a team that lags as far behind as Merc did, ever really recovering to be anything other then outside competitors, season on season. Normally the team or teams that get new regulations right early, retain that advantage up until the brink of the next set of regulation changes.

Or am I mistaken about that?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2023, 06:13:37 pm »
I'm not an avid F1 fan, though I normally catch most races.

From memory, I don't recall a team that lags as far behind as Merc did, ever really recovering to be anything other then outside competitors, season on season. Normally the team or teams that get new regulations right early, retain that advantage up until the brink of the next set of regulation changes.

Or am I mistaken about that?
Sort of agree here…then I remember every team other than Braun when they had the double diffuser…

They did catch up
W

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2023, 09:56:08 am »
Chinese GP will not be replaced on the calendar

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 02:33:46 pm »
So now F1 is being silenced by the sportswashers.

FIA accused of 'suppressing drivers' freedom of speech' -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/64387021

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2023, 03:41:48 pm »
So now F1 is being silenced by the sportswashers.

FIA accused of 'suppressing drivers' freedom of speech' -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/64387021

It's a great letter.

He makes the point that the F1 support for Ukraine and cancelling the Russian GP (actions he applauds & supports) is in stark contrast to the approach to Sadui, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, who have all involved themselves in a civil war in Yemen, launching multiple air attacks and military incursions that have murdered thousands of Yemenis.

As in, all criticism of the human rights abuses, the misogyny, the modern slavery that these despotic regimes partake in, is to be outlawed.

Excellently worded:

"When the FIA and F1 choose to grant races to some of the world's most repressive regimes, like Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, they are facilitating sports-washing and allowing these dictatorships to launder their horrifying rights records. It is seriously disturbing to see the FIA now mimicking the tactics of its despotic business partners by attempting to muzzle the voices of critics and advocates.
Where the FIA and F1 failed, it was drivers like Lewis Hamilton who stood up and called out abuse, and his vocal support for political prisoners in Bahrain shed light on appalling injustice.
Now, the FIA wants to silence him and others, and punish them if they dare to speak out. We are saying to Mohammed Ben Sulayem that this policy is wrong and it must be reversed immediately."

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 03:51:57 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2023, 05:54:39 pm »
looks like herbert has either been fired by sky f1 or quit.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2023, 06:18:20 pm »
Paul Di Resta as well. Herbert I could take or leave but I liked Di Resta’s input.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2023, 08:06:46 am »
It was a very cluttered line up with loads of 'guest' hosts

This is SKY F1's confirmed line up

Jenson Button, Nico Rosberg, Naomi Schiff, Martin Brundle, Damon Hill, Karun Chandhok, Anthony Davidson, Natalie Pinkham, Ted Kravitz, Danica Patrick, Simon Lazenby, David Croft and Rachel Brookes.

As long as Ted is in then I'm in :P

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2023, 08:21:15 am »
In terms of car/rule changes for 2023

Ground-effect floors will be raised by 15mm
More stringent flex tests on the cars floor
The cars rollhoop must be rounded to prevent it digging into the ground as much as it did when Zhou flipped during the Britsh GP
The Driver mirrors will be extended from 150mm x 50mm to 200mm x 60mm to improve rear visibility
The cars will now have 7 FIA camera positions in the car this season following the success of the trial 'helmet cams' in some drivers last season

And an important one for Red Bull's financial advisors - The cost cap this season will be $135m (down from $142m last season)

Red Bull also have had their wind tunnel time cut by 10% due to their cost-cap infractions last season.

Red Bull will only get 25 runs in their wind tunnel next season instead of 28. Ferrari, will have 30 and Mercedes 32

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2023, 08:51:23 am »
It was a very cluttered line up with loads of 'guest' hosts

This is SKY F1's confirmed line up

Jenson Button, Nico Rosberg, Naomi Schiff, Martin Brundle, Damon Hill, Karun Chandhok, Anthony Davidson, Natalie Pinkham, Ted Kravitz, Danica Patrick, Simon Lazenby, David Croft and Rachel Brookes.

As long as Ted is in then I'm in :P

I blame the calendar for that. I presume that they all do some races but not others (apart from croft who's everywhere) because asking people to fly around for 23 weekends a year is a lot of time spent in airports.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2023, 07:49:11 pm »

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2023, 08:30:25 pm »
I’m excited for the new season (although it’ll probably be another Verstappen cakewalk), but I have to admit I’m a tad underwhelmed by the driver lineup this year.  A couple of rookies (albeit highly rated in Piastri’s case) and some fairly uninspiring drivers (Zhou, Hulkenberg, Tsunoda, Stroll, De Vries) filling out the grid.  And no real comedy value in the shape of Latifi or Mazipin either  :-\

Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2023, 10:00:38 pm »
^ :D Good point

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2023, 10:54:23 pm »
Im hoping Mercedes have a competitive car and Hamilton goes out on a high note as the champion. He was robbed of his eighth title, and last year the car was well off the pace.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2023, 08:39:01 am »
Imagine being told in 1998 that the Tyrell and Stewart teams would win 14 of the next 22 drivers/constructors titles.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 1, 2023, 05:28:41 pm »
Mick Schumacher will be available to McLaren as reserve driver this year if required. Had a seat fit today.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #32 on: February 1, 2023, 10:59:52 pm »
Mick Schumacher will be available to McLaren as reserve driver this year if required. Had a seat fit today.

1998, '99' and 2000 are very much in disbelief at this combination!

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 2, 2023, 09:31:44 pm »
Red Bull to announce 2026 onwards engine partnership with Ford tomorrow. Explains why the car launch tomorrow is in New York. Looks like the announcement was leaked.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #34 on: February 3, 2023, 02:20:06 pm »
Official that Ford will be back, confirmation coming from RBR in an hour or so.

I hope that the Ford side will be run as a racing concern (as in when it won races and championships) rather than an exercise in corporate hubris (Jaguar Racing).

Great to see the Blue Oval back on an engine cover though - it's F1 heritage.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #35 on: February 3, 2023, 03:49:21 pm »
Official that Ford will be back, confirmation coming from RBR in an hour or so.

I hope that the Ford side will be run as a racing concern (as in when it won races and championships) rather than an exercise in corporate hubris (Jaguar Racing).

Great to see the Blue Oval back on an engine cover though - it's F1 heritage.

https://twitter.com/FordPerformance/status/1621523314060709888

Oracle Red Bull Racing Retweeted
Ford Performance @FordPerformance

You’re not dreaming. It’s real. We’re back in #F1, partnering with @RedBullRacing 🏎⚡️ #FordReturns

2:57 PM · Feb 3, 2023

Is this a surprise? I thought Red Bull were quite bullish (that's not intentional) about their own engine performance and future prospects when discussing it back in autumn, around the time the Porsche deal was called off.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #37 on: February 3, 2023, 04:49:27 pm »
commence the "they're the same picture" memes.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #38 on: February 3, 2023, 05:12:14 pm »
Ford's only making engines though. Hopefully this doesn't mean the Cadillac offer is dead in the water.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #39 on: February 6, 2023, 02:15:07 pm »
the williams also looks very similar to their 2022 livery, but it's got a bit more paint on it for the moment.