Author Topic: Wayne Rooney  (Read 296876 times)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Wayne Rooney
« Reply #2840 on: January 3, 2024, 03:48:16 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/02/the-wayne-rooney-paradox-he-should-avoid-any-club-that-wants-him

On the other hand, any assessment of Rooney’s capacity as a manager has one key flaw, what we might call a Wayne-22 situation, which states that Wayne Rooney has only ever been employed as a manager by the kind of board that thinks it’s a good idea to employ Wayne Rooney as a manager.

This is the basic paradox here, the Wayne-as-Groucho scenario. Any club that can weigh up all the facts and still conclude that Rooney is the answer: this is exactly the kind of club Rooney should avoid like the plague.

That's brutal  ;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2841 on: January 3, 2024, 03:58:31 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/02/the-wayne-rooney-paradox-he-should-avoid-any-club-that-wants-him

On the other hand, any assessment of Rooney’s capacity as a manager has one key flaw, what we might call a Wayne-22 situation, which states that Wayne Rooney has only ever been employed as a manager by the kind of board that thinks it’s a good idea to employ Wayne Rooney as a manager.

This is the basic paradox here, the Wayne-as-Groucho scenario. Any club that can weigh up all the facts and still conclude that Rooney is the answer: this is exactly the kind of club Rooney should avoid like the plague.

Found it weird that he made a name for himself as some kind of managerial prodigy at Derby. They had points deduction but had better players than the teams around them (like Everton with the bottom 3 now) and were still adrift in the relegation zone. They were only in sight of staying up because Reading got a points deduction of their own. The season before they were in mid table until he took over and they needed a last day escape which they fluked.

Complete myth as a manager. Like with Lampard only ever got a job because of his name and Rooney's claim to fame was getting Derby relegated with good Championship players and Lampard's claim to fame was not getting promoted with a Derby team with the likes of Mount, Tomori and Harry Wilson in the team. Gerrard as well but he at least made a name of himself with the title at Rangers but then the idiocy of Purslow got him the Villa job (to prove the point).
« Last Edit: January 3, 2024, 04:03:15 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2842 on: January 3, 2024, 04:29:39 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, was a bit busy there.

;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2843 on: January 3, 2024, 05:10:07 pm »
Found it weird that he made a name for himself as some kind of managerial prodigy at Derby. They had points deduction but had better players than the teams around them (like Everton with the bottom 3 now) and were still adrift in the relegation zone. They were only in sight of staying up because Reading got a points deduction of their own. The season before they were in mid table until he took over and they needed a last day escape which they fluked.

Complete myth as a manager. Like with Lampard only ever got a job because of his name and Rooney's claim to fame was getting Derby relegated with good Championship players and Lampard's claim to fame was not getting promoted with a Derby team with the likes of Mount, Tomori and Harry Wilson in the team. Gerrard as well but he at least made a name of himself with the title at Rangers but then the idiocy of Purslow got him the Villa job (to prove the point).

Yeah, Gerrard has at least achieved something as a manager by winning the title with Rangers - which isn't as easy as people sometimes make out, given that there have been at least half a dozen Rangers managers who have failed to do it since they got back to the top flight.

I remember Rooney getting praised for not simply quitting Derby when they got the points deduction. Wonder if the undeserved credit he got for doing that, and the 'plucky underdogs' narrative that surrounded the club, helped obscure the fact that he didn't do a particularly great job.