Author Topic: General Rugby Union Thread  (Read 602093 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 - warm-up games and tournament
« Reply #320 on: September 9, 2011, 10:00:33 am »
What’s the story with Sonny Bill? He was a League sensation wasn’t he, at Canterbury Bulldogs? Then he defected out of the blue and ended up at Toulon but I don’t think it worked out for him. Did he go back to League for a while or did he go from there into Super 14/15 rugby back in NZ?

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: September 9, 2011, 10:02:09 am »
Sonny Bill, great hands on him. Need to wrap him up tight when you tackle him!
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
« Reply #322 on: September 9, 2011, 10:02:24 am »
Dagg gets his second try. ABs look impressive
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline fefs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #323 on: September 9, 2011, 10:02:27 am »
another for Dagg

Offline Aidy D

• Anny Roader
« Reply #324 on: September 9, 2011, 10:04:43 am »
Hate rugby but loving nz ripping Tonga apart

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: September 9, 2011, 10:04:52 am »
Dagg gets his second try. ABs look impressive
They usually do dont they .Lets wait till the knockout games when the pressure is on 
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: September 9, 2011, 10:11:18 am »
Christ, they really need to trim this tournament down. Yes the AB's are impressive but games at this stage of the RWC makes the Champions League Group stages look tense such is the difference in quality between sides.

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: September 9, 2011, 10:12:50 am »
They usually do dont they .Lets wait till the knockout games when the pressure is on
Yep. Peaking too early? Far too early to say but my main worry is that they won't play a tough team till the group stages with the rumours that France will play a weakened side

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #328 on: September 9, 2011, 10:17:21 am »
Yep. Peaking too early? Far too early to say but my main worry is that they won't play a tough team till the group stages with the rumours that France will play a weakened side

Doubt France would do that (although you never know with them, cliche #37!)...Sounds ridiculous but given France's recent record against England surely they'd rather try and win the group and play Scotalnd or Argies instead.*

*I know this will come back and bite me on the arse. Just speaking hypotehtically about England winning the group!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: September 9, 2011, 10:18:47 am »
Christ, they really need to trim this tournament down. Yes the AB's are impressive but games at this stage of the RWC makes the Champions League Group stages look tense such is the difference in quality between sides.

in all fairness i thought this game would be more competitive. been disappointed with tonga. they seem to lack intensity which is strange for them. they also keep turning the ball over which doesn't help.

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #330 on: September 9, 2011, 10:24:43 am »
Loads of posh middle class men watching some fella kick a ball over a bar
Bit like stamford bridge when Torres is playing
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: September 9, 2011, 10:32:20 am »
in all fairness i thought this game would be more competitive. been disappointed with tonga. they seem to lack intensity which is strange for them. they also keep turning the ball over which doesn't help.

Why? Their record in the tournament is pretty poor and they would still be considered a step above the likes of Georgia, Romania etc.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: September 9, 2011, 10:34:16 am »
not convinced by cowan at all

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Some people believe in Jesus I believe in Ian Rush
« Reply #333 on: September 9, 2011, 10:46:53 am »
In England maybe, not seen as middle class in any other country.
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.” – Bill Shankly

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: September 9, 2011, 10:48:25 am »
right decision there. like cueto 2007 all over again

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Some people believe in Jesus I believe in Ian Rush
« Reply #335 on: September 9, 2011, 10:50:58 am »
After less than 1 game? Get a grip! have been some great games over the years involving the minnows. How do you expect them to getter better if they don't play?

Edit: It would also help if the minnows didn't have their best players cherry picked by the bigger teams.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2011, 10:52:43 am by greenone »
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.” – Bill Shankly

Offline cal_liverpoolfc

• Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @cal190691
« Reply #336 on: September 9, 2011, 11:10:37 am »
Tonga have done very well in the 2nd half. I just wish they started like this.
"Nah nah nah, there's no rule book. Show me the rule book"

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: September 9, 2011, 11:23:13 am »
Highlights were the kiwi scrum's collapsathon specifically McCaw's efforts that stopped once the ref changed his side, and McCaw's surprising offside call as he pretended he had no idea. Such game intelligence.  :P

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: September 9, 2011, 11:29:26 am »
Doubt France would do that (although you never know with them, cliche #37!)...Sounds ridiculous but given France's recent record against England surely they'd rather try and win the group and play Scotalnd or Argies instead.*

*I know this will come back and bite me on the arse. Just speaking hypotehtically about England winning the group!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5262666/Fears-All-Blacks-could-face-French-B-side

Stranger things have happened

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: September 9, 2011, 11:39:51 am »
By the look of these stats Tonga had a good crack at it:

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/matches/match=10920/statistics.html

Possession and territory was pretty even and Tonga spent much more time in the opponents 22.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #340 on: September 9, 2011, 11:41:03 am »
Highlights were the kiwi scrum's collapsathon specifically McCaw's efforts that stopped once the ref changed his side, and McCaw's surprising offside call as he pretended he had no idea. Such game intelligence.  :P

A mistake to bring Woodcock and Thorn off because up till that point the All Black scrum was totally dominant. I love the look of the pack especially with Read to come back. It was a good learning curve for Ben Franks though, would have done him the world of good to be under pressure like that. That second half was frustrating but I saw enough to think by the time the Blacks hit the playoffs they'll be primed.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: September 9, 2011, 11:47:04 am »
A mistake to bring Woodcock and Thorn off because up till that point the All Black scrum was totally dominant. I love the look of the pack especially with Read to come back. It was a good learning curve for Ben Franks though, would have done him the world of good to be under pressure like that. That second half was frustrating but I saw enough to think by the time the Blacks hit the playoffs they'll be primed.

Yeah their scrum was definitely effected by the changes and Tonga seemed willing scrumers, but once it was decided I thought it was a fair call to bring them off. Don't know about totally dominant though. Par score for the Kiwis I thought and a few nice performances too.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: September 9, 2011, 11:54:26 am »
By the look of these stats Tonga had a good crack at it:

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/matches/match=10920/statistics.html

Possession and territory was pretty even and Tonga spent much more time in the opponents 22.

We all know stats are irrelevant in sport ffs Alan! :D

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: September 9, 2011, 11:56:55 am »
We all know stats are irrelevant in sport ffs Alan! :D
:lmao

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #344 on: September 9, 2011, 11:57:06 am »

I think there is a real issue with the looseforward balance. McCaw has changed his game. He is no longer the pill-winning scrounger of old. Read, Kaino and McCaw offer similar attributes now. Looking to the bench and it's much of a muchness again with Thompson or Vito. Unless the coaches think the game has moved away from needing a proper ball winner (Australia and Sth Africa don't think so with the excellent Pocock and Brussow) then I fail to see the harm in including Todd in the squad over Vito.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2011, 11:58:58 am by Trumps »

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #345 on: September 9, 2011, 12:01:52 pm »
To my amateur eyes it seems like an unfamiliar NZ back 3. So used to seeing Mileuna at full back I guess.

Is Cowan any good? Seems like one area where NZ aren't as strong as the Aussies and Saffers.

Cowan is very good but that's just me. The problem with our half back options is that not one of them get a consistant run of games. Cowan, Weepu, Ellis, Leonard to name a few. New Zealand have good depth in this area. On par with South Africa if not better but certainly more depth than Australia.

Offline Chavvie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: September 9, 2011, 12:07:54 pm »
After less than 1 game? Get a grip! have been some great games over the years involving the minnows. How do you expect them to getter better if they don't play?

Edit: It would also help if the minnows didn't have their best players cherry picked by the bigger teams.

I agree, also that was the smallest winning margin ever between these two teams and the first time Tonga have got double figures. I think all the mid-level teams will be a lot more competitive than they have before and it will only continue in future RWCs. Gone are the days of the top teams racking up 90 points or more on teams (perhaps Namibia will be the one exception).

I thought it was a good game to kick off the tournament and hopefully a sign there will be a lot more competitive group games than before.

Offline Gojedo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #347 on: September 9, 2011, 12:15:57 pm »
I think there is a real issue with the looseforward balance. McCaw has changed his game. He is no longer the pill-winning scrounger of old. Read, Kaino and McCaw offer similar attributes now. Looking to the bench and it's much of a muchness again with Thompson or Vito. Unless the coaches think the game has moved away from needing a proper ball winner (Australia and Sth Africa don't think so with the excellent Pocock and Brussow) then I fail to see the harm in including Todd in the squad over Vito.

There is no denying McCaw has lost a bit of zip but I think where he differs from Pocock, for example, is that he has rounded his game out. He is an effective ball winner in the lineout, a strong ball Carrier but Kaino is absolutely immense in this area. He was brilliant tonight. It was obvious we missed him in Brisbane. Read is a great on field leader, the next All Black captain in the follow me boys mould. I think our loosies are the best three in the business and McCaw still the benchmark for the openside but Pocock is not far from being the best number 7 in rugby. I certainly agree about Todd, he is our next world class 7.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #348 on: September 9, 2011, 12:20:40 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14725789
Most of the linesmen wouldn't last 10 minutes on a rugby pitch. Their too big to run around.
And some of them aren't. Have you seen the likes of Ndamkong Suh? I am not saying that every one would be good at rugby but certainly some of them are exceptional athletes.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: September 9, 2011, 12:22:51 pm »
apart from the lack of stamina the problem with a lot of NFL players crossing over would be game intelligence and decision making. as in NFL players are told what to do by their coaches and very few players apart from the quarterback have any real decisions to make in the game whatsoever
They are trained to become explosive and dynamic. Rugby fitness could be drilled into them. Like I said above, it wouldn't be every player but there are certainly quite a few of the top college players who could make very good rugby players.
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: September 9, 2011, 12:25:43 pm »
There is no denying McCaw has lost a bit of zip but I think where he differs from Pocock, for example, is that he has rounded his game out. He is an effective ball winner in the lineout, a strong ball Carrier but Kaino is absolutely immense in this area. He was brilliant tonight. It was obvious we missed him in Brisbane. Read is a great on field leader, the next All Black captain in the follow me boys mould. I think our loosies are the best three in the business and McCaw still the benchmark for the openside but Pocock is not far from being the best number 7 in rugby. I certainly agree about Todd, he is our next world class 7.
McCaw is much more prominent in the loose than either Pocock or Broussow but all 3 are fabulous players. The new tackle and release law has hampered the masters of the jackal as they can no longer drag a player to the floor and spring up, taking the ball with them at the same time.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: September 9, 2011, 12:27:12 pm »
That was a classic example of the ABs getting the job done and then coasting through the second half knowing they didn't have to kill themselves to get the job done. Job well done by the ABs.

Offline Gojedo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #352 on: September 9, 2011, 12:40:52 pm »
That was a classic example of the ABs getting the job done and then coasting through the second half knowing they didn't have to kill themselves to get the job done. Job well done by the ABs.

Most likely. But they should have put the foot on the throat. Losing a bit of ascendancy up front didn't help but I guess they did enough without clicking through the gears. The first half was very impressive though. Good enough to give me some renewed confidence in how much better we will get.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: September 9, 2011, 12:57:18 pm »
Most likely. But they should have put the foot on the throat. Losing a bit of ascendancy up front didn't help but I guess they did enough without clicking through the gears. The first half was very impressive though. Good enough to give me some renewed confidence in how much better we will get.

Safety first no doubt. They will get better.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: September 9, 2011, 01:46:12 pm »

relax, relax

Second half big lead, no-one wants to get injured early tournament in a done deal. Also subs always disrupt flow of game, and credit to Tonga, showed class and heart.

World Cup is all on now for the ABs and a massive easy win would have done nothing for the team at all, good run out this.
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: September 9, 2011, 02:03:46 pm »
:)
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Gojedo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #356 on: September 9, 2011, 02:06:29 pm »
relax, relax

Second half big lead, no-one wants to get injured early tournament in a done deal. Also subs always disrupt flow of game, and credit to Tonga, showed class and heart.

World Cup is all on now for the ABs and a massive easy win would have done nothing for the team at all, good run out this.

I'm not really talking about them running up a cricket score, more so being more clinical throughout the 80 minutes. If they had played as such but Tonga had kept the score respectable through a staunch and spirited defence I would have been more than happy with the hitout. As it is and like I said before, I saw enough overall to be excited about our prospects over the next few games.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #357 on: September 9, 2011, 02:12:19 pm »
I didn’t see the game but don’t think you can read too much into it, especially the 2nd half half. Seems like NZ had a good cutting edge and eased up a bit 2nd half.Only France can trouble them in that group so as long as they beat them it doesn’t matter if they win all their games by 1 point or 50 points really. 6 tries was it? Can’t argue with that.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #358 on: September 9, 2011, 02:12:32 pm »
Supposed to be getting a couple of pies and a beer tomorrow off O2, don't think I've ever looked forward to the postman this much since I used to get a giro.
Legacy fan

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: September 9, 2011, 02:26:51 pm »
Supposed to be getting a couple of pies and a beer tomorrow off O2, don't think I've ever looked forward to the postman this much since I used to get a giro.

Pies and Beer in the Post ?

Good luck with that
A win for the Liverpool country