Author Topic: Diving, cheating, timewasting & theatrics in football  (Read 88345 times)

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
Re: Diving and cheating - how would you deal with it?
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2012, 08:07:09 am »
Here is him talking about it more. He makes a lot of sense and is unbiased about it imo.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xq65vw_gary-neville-tells-it-like-it-is-on-diving_sport
Ye I've seen it. He is spot on IMO
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2012, 03:42:55 pm »
gordon taylor really is beyond belief. players have "no choice" but to cheat apparently.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2012, 03:54:31 pm »
I would just trust the FA, in conjunction with Gordon Taylor and the PFA to sort this out. Don't know what all the fuss is about. These two organisations have my utmost support and confidence.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2012, 03:56:09 pm »
I would just trust the FA, in conjunction with Gordon Taylor and the PFA to sort this out. Don't know what all the fuss is about. These two organisations have my utmost support and confidence.

quite, a very respectful organisation that treats every issue with the same consistency and attention it deserves.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2012, 03:57:15 pm »
quite, a very respectful organisation that treats every issue with the same consistency and attention it deserves.
Both organizations, in fact.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2012, 12:37:29 am »
Hats off to Gary Neville in all fairness, brilliant pundit.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2012, 09:22:23 am »
Great article by Gary Neville on the issue.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2126567/Gary-Neville-Andy-Carrolls-dive-laugh--zero-tolerance-wont-ground.html

From the article:

Solving the fake injuries/dives etc will be a lot harder than what people are suggesting here.

I don't read that as a "great article" at all. All I've taken from it is that football's now a global game, so because it's OK to cheat and simulate elsewhere we should change our values and accommodate the other people's way of doing things. I haven't watched the video that's been linked as I'm at work so I'll do that later, but all I took from that article was that Gary Neville was once a tough young boy who over the years has gradually been left in a moral daze because he's now confused at how you actually "win" a foul.

It's utter bollocks. What we need is people in charge that actually have a backbone, who will stand up and defend the right of the Premier League to be run how we want it run in this country. If this deters the 'foreign stars' from coming here to play in our league then fine, cheerio then we'll give the 200k/week to someone who actually wants to play by our standards. Personally I don't think it would - there's plenty of foreign players who've come over here and adjusted absolutely fine to the way we expect the game to be played (a perfect example being Klinsmann).

There are calls every week for the pulling and pushing in the penalty boxes to be sorted but each week the ref's just let it go. Sure, they act like they're clamping down on it by delaying the corner whilst they speak to a few offenders, but then as soon as they give the green light for the corner the players are all over each other. There's absolutely no spine - are the ref's scared to do something because their FA bosses will come down hard on them!? I was amazed to see a pen given for Barca the other week against Milan, but more of those given and attitudes will have to change.

Sadly we have people in charge that would rather bend over for their European colleagues than stand up to them. Our journalists are selective in their condemnation of players and there isn't a level playing field. Just how long has it taken for them to criticise Ashley Young? Just look at the comments from Gordon Taylor and Clark Carlisle - to stand there and actually come out with the stuff they do, really, I question their sanity. Managers, too - Ferguson and Wenger are prime examples. Take the Ashely Young charade - on the one hand Ferguson appears to be saying that it was wrong to go down like he did and almost condemning it - but in the same sentence he says 'there was contact, it was a definite penalty'. Incredible.

I'd absolutely love there to be a tough line taken on it but I know there certainly won't. The very best I can hope for is that when there are incidents like this that the player involved is actually ashamed enough by the media coverage to not do it again.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
Diving in Football - Is It Really THAT Bad?
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2012, 12:06:43 pm »
Sometimes a magician performs a trick and we all lap it up. We know he's used deflection to trick us, but we don't mind because we see what we want to see. Most media outfits have fallen for some trickery this week; Tony Pulis' misdirection has fooled them into running with the diving debate instead of focusing on the over-physical and at times violent play of his side.

Nobody is mentioning Robert Huth's stamp on Luis Suarez - which the FA are unbelievably going to let go without punishment - or the fact that Stoke will be fined for having six players booked, (and that was actually quite low). There were about 20 yellow card tackles in that game, most coming from Huth and Charlie Adam but nobody is mentioning them. Instead we're all focusing on this 'foreigners ruin our game by diving' debate.

First of all, let me make this clear; Luis Suarez did dive and it's not to be condoned but many Liverpool fans believe he is being victimised here. Some of the best players to have played in this league such as Didier Drogba, Christiano Ronaldo and Jurgen Kilnsmann have dived at times. Don't just blame the foreigners though, after all British players such Danny Welbeck, Garath Bale and Ashley Young have dived in the recent past. We all acknowledge that these players have dived and we've all condemned them, but there were no calls to ban these players.

Secondly, is diving really THAT bad an offence? Is it worse than stamping on somebody? Of course it isn't! So why the big fuss over Suraez's dive yet no mentions the stamp? Diving is an offence that people seem to get on their high horses and vilify those who do it, but is it really that bad?

If a player dives then he will be booked, but afterwards he will be slaughtered by fans, pundits and managers. If a player commits a cheap foul on the halfway line, he'll be booked yet some might say "good foul to give away." So, we have two offences with the same punishment yet we accept them in different lights? Both are what you can call 'cheating' but one's ok and one's not? Why is that exactly?

I'm not condoning diving, but maybe we all need to calm down and stop over reacting to it and vilify those who carry out dangerous, reckless and violet acts instead of somebody going to ground too easily.

Diving is Not the Enemy

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Re: Diving in Football - Is It Really THAT Bad?
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2012, 12:24:05 pm »
I think it's made worse/people think it's necessery because some refs are so stupid and shit at their jobs they DO NOT give a foul unless you go to ground, a foul is a foul - sorry

Offline StevenLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2012, 12:36:26 pm »
I just don't see why a booking for diving leads to more condemnation than a deliberate foul.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2012, 12:37:41 pm »
Let's face it, footballers are all a bunch of cheating  quilts. Even the 'hard ones' are as soft as shite.

Fannies all of them.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2012, 12:40:39 pm »
I just don't see why a booking for diving leads to more condemnation than a deliberate foul.

Because football is a contact sport and fouls (deliberate or otherwise) are to be expected from time to time.

Offline StevenLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2012, 12:40:48 pm »
Let's face it, footballers are all a bunch of cheating  quilts. Even the 'hard ones' are as soft as shite.

Fannies all of them.

Depends what you mean by cheating pal. Technically, fouling a player could be classed as cheating.

Offline StevenLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2012, 12:41:20 pm »
Because football is a contact sport and fouls (deliberate or otherwise) are to be expected from time to time.

So we should accept deliberate fouls but not a dive?

Offline Spanish Fan

• Battles Babelfish Brilliantly
  • Legacy Fan
  • מגדל בבל
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2012, 12:41:27 pm »
It is worse.
利物浦, 리버풀, Λίβερπουλ, リヴァプール, ليفربول, Liberpul

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2012, 12:41:44 pm »
The problem is consistency. When is a dive a dive? 

It could be a dive and its a dive

It could be a dive but looks like a clean tackle

It could be a dive but it looks like a foul.

Each one of those could be a freekick to the defending team, a penalty to the attacking team, a booking for the diver or nothing at all.

There is zero consistency when it comes to 'simulation' and referee's refuse to deal with it.

Offline tomred

• yraelo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2012, 12:41:56 pm »

I think it's a cultural thing. Diving is seen as foreign and deceitful, whereas a deliberate foul is somehow more manly and British.

Offline StevenLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »
I think it's a cultural thing. Diving is seen as foreign and deceitful, whereas a deliberate foul is somehow more manly and British.

I'd agree, diving is inexcusable to some but kicking someone of the halfway line to break up play or "letting him know you're there" is ok.

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2012, 12:44:13 pm »
So we should accept deliberate fouls but not a dive?

What are you classing as a deliberate foul exactly? A deliberate foul doesn't necessarily mean deliberately trying to hurt someone.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2012, 12:44:21 pm »

The worst divers in the league have always been English.

You do get the odd mutant like Ronaldo and Nistelrooy, but the biggest divers have been English from the 70s onwards.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Spanish Fan

• Legacy Fan
  • מגדל בבל
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2012, 12:45:41 pm »

And a generation thing too. Latin countries have always been accused of diving, but watch any game from 20 30 years ago. Players barely dived compared to today, and they were so poor at it that you would immediately spot it. Maradona did dive some times, but his technique in that department was very poor compared to modern standards. That is the only part of the game where technique has improved. Practice makes perfect.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2012, 12:45:46 pm »
I'd agree, diving is inexcusable to some but kicking someone of the halfway line to break up play or "letting him know you're there" is ok.

The problem with football is that they should allow retribution. Rather than sending someone off, you should give your opponent the opportunity to get a 'free kick'. That would be great. Would certainly lead to the attraction to see thugs like those knobheads that play for Stoke getting kicked up the arse rather than booked.

Offline StevenLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2012, 12:51:54 pm »
What are you classing as a deliberate foul exactly? A deliberate foul doesn't necessarily mean deliberately trying to hurt someone.

Perhaps a blatant foul to stop a counter attack. It doesn't hurt anybody, you get a booking and the opposition get a free kick. Same consequences as diving, but diving is seen as 'much' worse.

Offline tomred

• yraelo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2012, 12:53:49 pm »
And a generation thing too. Latin countries have always been accused of diving, but watch any game from 20 30 years ago. Players barely dived compared to today, and they were so poor at it that you would immediately spot it. Maradona did dive some times, but his technique in that department was very poor compared to modern standards. That is the only part of the game where technique has improved. Practice makes perfect.

Good point.

Offline Spanish Fan

• Legacy Fan
  • מגדל בבל
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2012, 12:54:51 pm »
The worst divers in the league have always been English.

You do get the odd mutant like Ronaldo and Nistelrooy, but the biggest divers have been English from the 70s onwards.

really? I know Francis Lee was famous for that, but in general I would think English players were in the past very honest. Wasn't ricardo Villa told off by his teammates for diving, even though it won;t them a penalty? or was it an urban legend?

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2012, 01:04:22 pm »
Its bad, but we havent reached the depths of the Spanish or Portugese level yet, which is about all we to cling on to.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2012, 01:09:38 pm »
No.

Don't give a fuck when our players dive, don't give a fuck when opposition players dive.

Offline StevenLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2012, 01:13:55 pm »
Its bad, but we havent reached the depths of the Spanish or Portugese level yet, which is about all we to cling on to.

Did you read the article at all?

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2012, 01:17:28 pm »
Diving is when you know you haven't been fouled, but you're asking the ref to give a foul. That is really no different from knowing you've just fouled a player and you're telling the ref you haven't. It is also no different from asking for a goal kick when you know you've actually just given away a corner. These are things everyone does all the time, and I've never heard anyone get criticised for it. We've all see goals scored from corners that were not given, and the typical response is to say it's the referee's fault for getting it wrong. Not once did I hear someone say the player who claimed it was a corner was a cheat.

It's much ado about nothing, really. It's not nice to see, but it's no worse than any other form of cheating. It's certainly no worse than shirt-pulling in the area, and all we ever hear about that is "ooh, he was lucky to get away with it" or, even worse, "if those were given we'd have ten penalties in each game". We never hear "he should be banned for three games for that."

Offline StevenLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2012, 01:19:13 pm »
Diving is when you know you haven't been fouled, but you're asking the ref to give a foul. That is really no different from knowing you've just fouled a player and you're telling the ref you haven't. It is also no different from asking for a goal kick when you know you've actually just given away a corner. These are things everyone does all the time, and I've never heard anyone get criticised for it. We've all see goals scored from corners that were not given, and the typical response is to say it's the referee's fault for getting it wrong. Not once did I hear someone say the player who claimed it was a corner was a cheat.

It's much ado about nothing, really. It's not nice to see, but it's no worse than any other form of cheating. It's certainly no worse than shirt-pulling in the area, and all we ever hear about that is "ooh, he was lucky to get away with it" or, even worse, "if those were given we'd have ten penalties in each game". We never hear "he should be banned for three games for that."

Some good points there.

Offline Spanish Fan

• Legacy Fan
  • מגדל בבל
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2012, 01:26:04 pm »
By the way, another plague in modern football, especially in Spanish football these days is players simulating injury or great pain to waste time.

Now any minor incident and the whole team demand that the game is stopped. No wonder games do not last anywhere near the 90 minutes with the ball in play.

And not, it wasn't always like that.

Two career ending tackles (literally) with players trying to walk it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSNctg_yIWU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHcQ0cpJw1o

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2012, 01:28:28 pm »
Did you read the article at all?

Yes, I did but yes I could also have been clearer I suppose!

It is that bad, we fume when people dived against us such as Valencia (the player) so it would be hypocritical to now says its not such a bad thing after all the focus is on us.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2012, 01:28:56 pm »
Someone I know suggested the following solution to timewasting, gurning, acting like a baby and being a wuss.

RULE CHANGE: THE GAME LASTS 60 MINUTES

RULE CHANGE: 30 MINUTES EACH HALF

RULE CHANGE: WHENEVER A CORNER, FREEKICK, THROW IN, INJURY ETC. OCCURS. THE CLOCK IS STOPPED. THE CLOCK REMAINS STOPPED UNTIL THE BALL GOES INTO PLAY. THE CLOCK IS CLEARLY VISIBLE TO THE CROWD, MANAGERS, PLAYERS AND TV. WHEN THE CLOCK TIMER REACHES 60 MINUTES THE GAME STOPS. ANYTHING OCCURRING AFTER THE CLOCK IS STOPPED ISN'T COUNTED (ALTHOUGH RED CARDS, YELLOW CARDS ETC. CAN STILL BE ISSUED OBVIOUSLY)

Analysis shows that games actually last about 60 minutes (30 minutes is typically wasted with the ball not being in play).

This would mean that every single game would last the same amount of time and that it's visible when it's going to end.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2012, 01:33:07 pm »
Someone I know suggested the following solution to timewasting, gurning, acting like a baby and being a wuss.

RULE CHANGE: THE GAME LASTS 60 MINUTES

RULE CHANGE: 30 MINUTES EACH HALF

RULE CHANGE: WHENEVER A CORNER, FREEKICK, THROW IN, INJURY ETC. OCCURS. THE CLOCK IS STOPPED. THE CLOCK REMAINS STOPPED UNTIL THE BALL GOES INTO PLAY. THE CLOCK IS CLEARLY VISIBLE TO THE CROWD, MANAGERS, PLAYERS AND TV. WHEN THE CLOCK TIMER REACHES 60 MINUTES THE GAME STOPS. ANYTHING OCCURRING AFTER THE CLOCK IS STOPPED ISN'T COUNTED (ALTHOUGH RED CARDS, YELLOW CARDS ETC. CAN STILL BE ISSUED OBVIOUSLY)

Analysis shows that games actually last about 60 minutes (30 minutes is typically wasted with the ball not being in play).

This would mean that every single game would last the same amount of time and that it's visible when it's going to end.

And introduce the same rule as in handball.. When there is a call from the referee, the losing team should leave the ball on the floor/don't pick it up.. Any disturbances/delaying is a (two minutes) penalty.. - every time... time wasting no problem in handball..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline StevenLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2012, 01:36:31 pm »
Yes, I did but yes I could also have been clearer I suppose!

It is that bad, we fume when people dived against us such as Valencia (the player) so it would be hypocritical to now says its not such a bad thing after all the focus is on us.

You're looking at it from a Liverpool fan's point of view, I am trying to look at it as a general football fan. I just wonder why diving - a yellow card offence - can be talked about for up to a week after its happened, but a deliberate foul - a yellow card offence, which is equally as cynical - might not even make it onto a game's highlight package? 

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2012, 01:36:51 pm »
And introduce the same rule as in handball.. When there is a call from the referee, the losing team should leave the ball on the floor/don't pick it up.. Any disturbances/delaying is a (two minutes) penalty.. - every time... time wasting no problem in handball..

You don't even need to do that. The clock is only started again when a team legally kicks off and the ball is back in play.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2012, 02:00:05 pm »
You're looking at it from a Liverpool fan's point of view, I am trying to look at it as a general football fan. I just wonder why diving - a yellow card offence - can be talked about for up to a week after its happened, but a deliberate foul - a yellow card offence, which is equally as cynical - might not even make it onto a game's highlight package? 

Maybe because its a relativly new phenomenon in this country anyway, and certainly a growing one. Dodgy decisions by refs, missing blatent fouls, not booking/sending off players when its deserved for wreckless challenges (deliberate or not) has been going on a lot longer and people are a lot more accustomed to it.

Intent probably plays a big part in it too, most fouls (i know you mention specifically deliberate fouls) are not deliberate by the the offending player, they just miss time the tackle for example, but diving by its very nature is deliberate every time it happens. You cant always tell when a foul is deliberate or not by contrast.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline TheRealJA

• Main Stander
    • Barclays Premier League Stadiums
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2012, 04:13:34 pm »
Put it this way, there is no cheating or diving in the SPL anymore.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2012, 04:17:53 pm »
Call me thick but I'm not sure what relevance 60 minute games have to Steven's article.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2012, 04:37:13 pm »
The problem is consistency. When is a dive a dive? 

When it's a Uruguayan....do try and keep up
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.