Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1391476 times)

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #4240 on: October 27, 2019, 11:47:33 pm »
I honestly don't understand why people want to see him in the midfield let alone as an 8.  Ok, maybe a 6 a la Alonso but an 8?   

With the advent of pressing, the changes to the offside rule and VAR teams have been stretched vertically and have become narrower horizontally. The results of that have been that there has been less space for central playmakers and more space for the likes of Trent and De Bruyne.

Why have a central playmaker who struggles to have the time to get his head up when you can have playmakers who can pick up pockets of space in wider areas. There was a reason Rafa wanted Gerrard to play anywhere but centre mid.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Henderson19

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4241 on: October 27, 2019, 11:59:34 pm »
Decent little video with some of his passes today:

https://twitter.com/HS_10Ftbol/status/1188561959702147073?s=19

He's a joy to watch. One of the best passers of the football around. A wonderful technician who hits the ball so cleanly.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #4242 on: October 28, 2019, 12:07:04 am »
I honestly don't understand why people want to see him in the midfield let alone as an 8.  Ok, maybe a 6 a la Alonso but an 8?   

Indeed. This is a crazy chestnut that won't go away.

I'd go as far as to say he actually doesn't have the skill set to be a central midfielder, because in that position, the key thing is to be able to navigate small pockets of space before you get into anything you can do with the ball. And as good as Trent is, that's not necessarily what he's known for.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4243 on: October 28, 2019, 12:15:44 am »

Because there are valid tactical reasons for actually doing it?   The Sky post game coverage highlights this well in that Neville was slating his defense which when you think about it is patently unfair for what Klopp and the team ask him to do.  In essence he's the hub in which the team revolves around and it requires the midfielder on his side to be quite restricted in what they do.  Just look at Hendo's heat map, he's basically an auxiliary RB to allow Trent to get forward and do what we need him to do.

Why not just then play a more defensive RB and let Trent do what he does best?  Or I think you could make a pretty interesting system where Gomez is the RB but it's actually a back 3 with Gomez, Matip and VvD.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4244 on: October 28, 2019, 12:27:41 am »
Because there are valid tactical reasons for actually doing it?   The Sky post game coverage highlights this well in that Neville was slating his defense which when you think about it is patently unfair for what Klopp and the team ask him to do.  In essence he's the hub in which the team revolves around and it requires the midfielder on his side to be quite restricted in what they do.  Just look at Hendo's heat map, he's basically an auxiliary RB to allow Trent to get forward and do what we need him to do.

Why not just then play a more defensive RB and let Trent do what he does best?  Or I think you could make a pretty interesting system where Gomez is the RB but it's actually a back 3 with Gomez, Matip and VvD.

The reason why we play a slanted midfield is to give Trent time on the ball. The right sided midfield player is there to give Trent those pockets of space. To give him the time and space to get his head up and pick those passes. Move Trent more central and he will spend the entire game shifting the ball trying to give his team mates time on the ball. That is a criminal waste of talent.

In effect in your system you are reducing Trent's time on the ball so you can give your defensive full back more time on the ball.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4245 on: October 28, 2019, 12:36:50 am »
The reason why we play a slanted midfield is to give Trent time on the ball. The right sided midfield player is there to give Trent those pockets of space. To give him the time and space to get his head up and pick those passes. Move Trent more central and he will spend the entire game shifting the ball trying to give his team mates time on the ball. That is a criminal waste of talent.

In effect in your system you are reducing Trent's time on the ball so you can give your defensive full back more time on the ball.

Well said. Currently it suit's him perfectly.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4246 on: October 28, 2019, 12:40:27 am »

I said nothing of moving him more central and don't really have any idea what you're even talking about.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4247 on: October 28, 2019, 01:34:37 am »
I said nothing of moving him more central and don't really have any idea what you're even talking about.

So if you are playing a more defensive Right Back where do you play Trent ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4248 on: October 28, 2019, 03:17:52 am »
This kid is something else constantly has me shaking my head at his passing ability.

Still amazes me that he hasn't been playing regularly for England. But pretty typical of England to leave the most creative player in the country riding the bench because he is perceived to not be as good defensively.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4249 on: October 28, 2019, 03:22:10 am »

Go look at Hendo's heat map and get back to me.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #4250 on: October 28, 2019, 03:42:36 am »
Go look at Hendo's heat map and get back to me.

I feel like this is sorta circular. Hendo doesn't have as much time on the ball as Trent does because he plays further forward and there's no one to play interference for him. Play Trent up there and he'd be in the same situation? Or do you see it differently?

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4251 on: October 28, 2019, 04:30:59 am »
I feel like this is sorta circular. Hendo doesn't have as much time on the ball as Trent does because he plays further forward and there's no one to play interference for him. Play Trent up there and he'd be in the same situation? Or do you see it differently?

Hendo takes the majority of his touches behind Trent.

Edit: Here, I'll save everyone the time.  This is pretty common for Hendo and not a knock on him but just what is required of him.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 04:35:56 am by BrandoLFC »

Offline Seventeen

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4252 on: October 28, 2019, 04:42:51 am »
Why not just then play a more defensive RB and let Trent do what he does best?

So where is Trent playing? Right winger?

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #4253 on: October 28, 2019, 04:48:21 am »
I honestly don't understand why people want to see him in the midfield let alone as an 8.

I don't get it either. Are there people out there that think it's a shame that Dani Alves never moved into midfield?! Like Alves, Trent gets to dominate the game from fullback, he owns that right hand side because he's got all the play in front of him.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #4254 on: October 28, 2019, 06:07:19 am »
I don't get it either. Are there people out there that think it's a shame that Dani Alves never moved into midfield?! Like Alves, Trent gets to dominate the game from fullback, he owns that right hand side because he's got all the play in front of him.

Because RB is where you put the crap players, and midfield is for the decent players in this world.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4255 on: October 28, 2019, 06:44:00 am »
I’d go one further and put Robbo in midfield too. Milner LB, Fabinho RB, Hendo as the 6.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #4256 on: October 28, 2019, 07:40:46 am »
I’d go one further and put Robbo in midfield too. Milner LB, Fabinho RB, Hendo as the 6.

And Gini moves to his Netherlands #10 position. It's all coming together.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4257 on: October 28, 2019, 07:42:46 am »

Exactly, its actually hard to find good right backs as well yet some people would move Trent out of that position for the life of me I really don't get it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4258 on: October 28, 2019, 10:06:58 am »
He's played a lot of central midfield in the younger age groups, didn't he?

Served him well to become a world class right back.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4259 on: October 28, 2019, 10:09:39 am »
Some of the crosses he put in yesterday were outrageously good. Every game he seems to set up a couple of sitters. He made a couple of small mistakes defensively but what an incredible attacking weapon we have with him on our right. His mate over the other side isn't too shabby either.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4260 on: October 28, 2019, 10:16:26 am »

Drop Salah? :o

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #4261 on: October 28, 2019, 10:20:05 am »
Trent is something else love how he can play with both feet looks so at ease on the ball.

Some of his crosses are incredible 

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #4262 on: October 28, 2019, 12:49:00 pm »
SkySports and even  Chris Pajak  from Redmen TV seem to have a deep-seated hatred for Trent. Even when Lovren or Virgil fuck up Trent seems to get the majority of the blame. Hendo gave the ball away for Kane's goal but according to Gary Neville it was mostly Trent`s fault. Robbo consistently gets 8s and 9s from Payjak. Trent, even when he scores and makes assists, gets 5s, 6s, maximum 7s. The boy can do nothing right.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4263 on: October 28, 2019, 01:44:32 pm »
SkySports and even  Chris Pajak  from Redmen TV seem to have a deep-seated hatred for Trent. Even when Lovren or Virgil fuck up Trent seems to get the majority of the blame. Hendo gave the ball away for Kane's goal but according to Gary Neville it was mostly Trent`s fault. Robbo consistently gets 8s and 9s from Payjak. Trent, even when he scores and makes assists, gets 5s, 6s, maximum 7s. The boy can do nothing right.
It is very noticable. Carra and Neville always circle jerk with patronising 'criticism' of him improving the defensive side of his game. He's in a different league to the pair of them, when they were playing at full back, which might be contributing. I hear their criticisms parroted a lot weirdly, even my our own fans that watch our games.

Last week, after Robertson got caught out going too far forwards when Origi miscontrolled the ball (and was then fouled), leading to a goal uncontested down his side). Minutes later they say the Trent needs to learn 'when to go and when to stay'. Having stayed and put the ball out for a throw, having been 2 against 1 without a midfielder to help him. Same thing happens yesterday. Of our back four, Robertson and VVD defended the goal the worst. But commentators love the simplicity of never really having to assess their performance since they're usually so good.

Criticising Trent is hilarious. he showed Son onto his left and slowed him. Gave Henderson enough time to get back and hold him up (but he badly overcommitted). Lovren blocked a goalbound (no idea if it gets saved, Allison is unreal - he was so good he smartly didnt overcommit to a late-Pickford-dive, so he almost somehow saved Kane's header). Robertson and VVD were on their heals ballwatching while Kane followed it in. Any criticism or even comment on it? Nope. Instead hypercriticism about Trent despite him doing a better job, with harder work to complete, than his counter part and VVD

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4264 on: October 28, 2019, 01:46:19 pm »
. Think it was Chelsea away where Robbo was playing everyone on side and naturally Carragher and Tyler hammered Trent for it then looked like absolute twats upon seeing the replay. It's very weird, definitely exists and is very snide.

Perhaps it's a jealously thing from two yard dog defenders who were shit with the ball?

Forgot about that one. Yeah the pair of them are properly cuntish in their comments on Trent, and then that simpleton Tyler joins in and talks about how he can improve to get into Southgates side, as if 'international level football' is higher than the level Trent's excelled in ;D

The english footballing established is fucking hilarious. Always wary, sometimes phobic, of too talented players

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4265 on: October 28, 2019, 01:58:23 pm »
The way I look at it, if Gary Neville was a 9-out-of-10 RB defensively, TAA would be a 7. Well above average and perfectly adequate defensively. But offensively, if G Neville was a 5, TAA is a 10.

TAA is already in the top5 attacking fullback's I've ever seen. He doesn't have the pace/power of Cafu or Alves, but his passing is the best I've ever seen in a fullback.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4266 on: October 28, 2019, 02:07:53 pm »
Neville does say he is one of the best RB's he's ever seen:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1188579829215571969

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4267 on: October 28, 2019, 02:12:30 pm »

You've misquoted him. He didn't say that, he said 'best fullbacks he's seen going forwards'.

He says that to excuse his cliched bollocks criticsm seconds later. "he's got to become as serious about his defending as he is about his attacking play."

He makes it sound like he's lazy, that's he's not interested in the less flashy stuff and that he needs to be more team oriented. All of which is utter bollocks.

Trent's been our best defending full back this season, to my recollection

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4268 on: October 28, 2019, 02:14:13 pm »
The way I look at it, if Gary Neville was a 9-out-of-10 RB defensively, TAA would be a 7. Well above average and perfectly adequate defensively. But offensively, if G Neville was a 5, TAA is a 10.

TAA is already in the top5 attacking fullback's I've ever seen. He doesn't have the pace/power of Cafu or Alves, but his passing is the best I've ever seen in a fullback.
I take your point but I think 9 is too high for Neville and 7 too low for Trent.

If Neville was commenting on his own performances, he'd be dining out talking about his defensive deficiencies for about five years after Fowler made him look inept.

Offline Yorkshire-Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4269 on: October 28, 2019, 02:27:34 pm »
He assisted Mane for the penalty which was crucial

Trent was my MOTM, I'm Mane's biggest fan but not sure how he won that

Gary Neville chose the MOTM and said he would have given Trent the award except for a few small defensive lapses.

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #4270 on: October 28, 2019, 02:32:16 pm »

Payjak is a Ar*e! end off

I agree with you he can do nothing right. I got fed up that much with Redmen TV I don't even pay attention to whatever they say now.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4271 on: October 28, 2019, 02:38:50 pm »

I'd swap Alisson and Hendo. Alisson as the 6 as he has Alonso's passing range and Hendo as the Goalie as he won't have anyone behind to play back passes.

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4272 on: October 28, 2019, 04:13:39 pm »
I take your point but I think 9 is too high for Neville and 7 too low for Trent.

If Neville was commenting on his own performances, he'd be dining out talking about his defensive deficiencies for about five years after Fowler made him look inept.

It's easy to dunk on Neville, and he played at a time when fullback's were not as expected to contribute offensively, but he was consistently very good in the league for a good 10 years. I've seen better since then (eg Zabaleta) but no one who was good for so long.

Although I still think that if Rob Jones hadn't had to retire early he would have been regarded as the best RB in PL history, and Neville would have lost over half his England caps.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #4273 on: October 28, 2019, 04:26:34 pm »
You've misquoted him. He didn't say that, he said 'best fullbacks he's seen going forwards'.

He says that to excuse his cliched bollocks criticsm seconds later. "he's got to become as serious about his defending as he is about his attacking play."

He makes it sound like he's lazy, that's he's not interested in the less flashy stuff and that he needs to be more team oriented. All of which is utter bollocks.

Trent's been our best defending full back this season, to my recollection

Last season he would have been correct. TAA was not defending with the same intensity and desire that is evident when he goes forward.

That has changed this season. I was his biggest critic defensively but he really has improved a lot. His recovery runs look very much like Robbo's which is about the highest compliment I can give him. I'm going to guess that he has been drilled over and over again on defensive transition because it was a part of his game that was lacking and not being "switched on" is a very difficult habit to break.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #4274 on: October 28, 2019, 06:19:04 pm »

A poster above mentioned how they praise his attacking flair for 5 seconds and then berate his defending for 5 minutes (me paraphrasing the poster, mind). But that's how it always is when they talk about Trent. What's more, he often gets blamed for Robertson's or VVD`s fuck ups. People like Neville and Tyler probably just hate him because he's a Scouser, but I don't know what Pajak`s problem is. Probably some deep-seated resentment or jealousy that Pajak himself isn't even aware he harbours against a 21 year old boy.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4275 on: October 29, 2019, 02:15:13 am »
I think this pass map highlights it pretty well. You can't ask a player to carry a large offensive role and then whine about his defense.  Then don't ask him to do so much offensively?

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4276 on: October 29, 2019, 05:39:25 am »
There is nothing wrong with Arnold's defensive ability. Perhaps Neville doesnt appreciate that the fulllbacks in Liverpool are actually the most creative players in the entire Liverpool team, and so it is entirely as per instructions for them to be bombing upfield. When the other side tries to capitalise on the hole left behind them, that is midfielders and Fabinho and the centreback's job to cover for them. 

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4277 on: October 29, 2019, 06:33:59 am »
I think the pundits/commentators, oh and fans, who criticise his defensive work dont understand what Jurgen asks of him.

They just see his position is at RB and think he should be doing the same as a RB from years ago.

They use their ignorance as a subliminal way of attacking Jurgen [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4278 on: October 29, 2019, 06:41:42 am »
A poster above mentioned how they praise his attacking flair for 5 seconds and then berate his defending for 5 minutes (me paraphrasing the poster, mind). But that's how it always is when they talk about Trent. What's more, he often gets blamed for Robertson's or VVD`s fuck ups. People like Neville and Tyler probably just hate him because he's a Scouser, but I don't know what Pajak`s problem is. Probably some deep-seated resentment or jealousy that Pajak himself isn't even aware he harbours against a 21 year old boy.

Basically Arnold is much better than Neville ever was as a fullback already right now at the age of 21. And Arnold can get even better.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4279 on: October 29, 2019, 07:02:25 am »
I think the pundits/commentators, oh and fans, who criticise his defensive work dont understand what Jurgen asks of him.

They just see his position is at RB and think he should be doing the same as a RB from years ago.

They use their ignorance as a subliminal way of attacking Jurgen [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Agreed. Some of them don't understand what's asked of our midfield as well despite Klopp having done what he is for years now.