Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 315966 times)

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Cody Mathès Gakpo
« Reply #3400 on: March 5, 2024, 10:58:20 am »
Nah, not really. You did say my post was absolute bollocks only a couple before that, though, so whether you addressed anyone by name or not, you’re probably including me and whoever else is being slightly critical towards him with your second post. If you weren’t, fair enough, I’m not sure who else was debating the merits of his decision, though. I didn’t think it was arguing, more just I felt strongly he got a massive moment wrong, it happens, no agendas, a clean slate for the next game and hopefully he produces like we know he can.
fair enough mate. 

I'd forgotten my "bollocks" post  :)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3401 on: March 5, 2024, 11:31:27 am »
Not a chance, it's not even close.
Who would you put ahead of him?

At the risk of arguing with myself I think our best front three is (L-R) Darwin, Jota and Salah.  That's more my fetish for pacey forwards though.  I think Gakpo is the best suited at playing the old Bobby role of dropping deeper and linking the play up.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3402 on: March 5, 2024, 11:42:23 am »
Who would you put ahead of him?

At the risk of arguing with myself I think our best front three is (L-R) Darwin, Jota and Salah.  That's more my fetish for pacey forwards though.  I think Gakpo is the best suited at playing the old Bobby role of dropping deeper and linking the play up.
Nunez and Jota are by far better #9's than Gakpo. They stretch defences and look to run in behind, something Gakpo rarely does.

Gakpo isn't even very good at the firmino stuff of dropping deep and linking play up either, he doesn't get on the ball enough and has very little creativity. But because of the system we play now the Firmino type role is pretty redundant as we have midfiedlers who occupy those areas.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2024, 11:53:46 am by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3403 on: March 5, 2024, 12:39:35 pm »
Nunez is one of the top 5 no.9s in the world  ;D They're not in the same stratosphere.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3404 on: March 5, 2024, 01:48:13 pm »
Nunez and Jota are by far better #9's than Gakpo. They stretch defences and look to run in behind, something Gakpo rarely does.

Gakpo isn't even very good at the firmino stuff of dropping deep and linking play up either, he doesn't get on the ball enough and has very little creativity. But because of the system we play now the Firmino type role is pretty redundant as we have midfiedlers who occupy those areas.
As a traditional #9 Nunez and Jota are better no doubt. But Gakpo played the false 9 role for us last season quite well and was Klopp's first choice for the second half. How do you explain that? He also played a similar role for PSV and the Netherlands. And there's a reason Klopp chose him to drop back in midfield at the beginning of this season when we had a midfielder shortage. His skillset is the most suited for a deeper role among our forwards.

The reasons it hasn't worked well this season can be: (1) our system has changed so the false 9 role is not effective anymore, (2) he needs a run in that role, and not a run with Diaz Elliott and the kids around (no pace on either side), (3) simply because he's down in form.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3405 on: March 5, 2024, 02:09:33 pm »
(1) our system has changed so the false 9 role is not effective anymore, (2) he needs a run in that role, and not a run with Diaz Elliott and the kids around (no pace on either side), (3) simply because he's down in form.
(4) right now he's running on fumes.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #3406 on: March 5, 2024, 03:17:35 pm »
Wonder if we'll see him play as an 8 again, think that would suit him IF he could get to grips with what is required.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3407 on: March 5, 2024, 03:21:34 pm »
Wonder if we'll see him play as an 8 again, think that would suit him IF he could get to grips with what is required.

No thanks, he did a job but he's not an 8.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3408 on: March 5, 2024, 03:56:57 pm »
I am not arsed reading the last few pages, all I will say is I think he has been a bit overplayed lately and needs to be taken out of the firing line,

Sub at the most against Sparta

Him and Harvey Elliott have been run into the ground the last few weeks with the squad stretched, I think now that some kids are progressing and while some are also returning from injury he needs rested before City

At this moment I would bench him for that too but I am sure he could play a part at some point.

I believe John Wark was like this back in the day but my feeling with Gakpo is he comes alive when he gets a goal, he is a totally different player, its like a big millstone has been removed around his neck.

Reason I mentioned Wark is I saw loads say about him that if he didnt score he didnt tend to do a whole lot sometimes. I get that vibe here too.

Some of the recent games he hasnt been great but he has played an awful lot lately.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3409 on: March 7, 2024, 09:43:42 pm »
Seemed a little frustrated tonight after the match, but he needs to just hang in there and keep his menatlity strong. The goalswill come.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3410 on: March 7, 2024, 09:55:46 pm »
He's got two shots on goal; one of them was a gem in the corner that the keeper saved, the other was reaction shot that if placed to the side of the keeper was going in. He didn't do too badly with the goal threat. There were moments though where I felt he slowed the game down when a pas forward would have created opportunities.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3411 on: March 7, 2024, 09:57:58 pm »
He's as important as Mo Salah.

Why? Because every player is important if you want to win trophies and you can't bank on your best players being available all the time. He hasn't been in great form but all it takes is one goal.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #3412 on: March 7, 2024, 10:21:00 pm »
The lad is putting a right shift in. Can't ask for much more than that. The goals will come.

Keep it up Cody lad.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3413 on: March 7, 2024, 10:43:11 pm »
He's third choice striker and third choice left wing. But Jota is second choice striker and second choice left wing. So as soon as Nunez and Diaz are rested or out, he's there and ready to go, either as a starter or a very capable sub. For me, he's the new Divok Origi in terms of having a player able to do big things in big games when needed. Tonight he was a bit off in terms of link up play. He was very close to scoring. That's probably weighing on his mind a bit. We're lucky to have him as this back up option and it's proved to be the case while we've had injuries up front and he's come in we've won every game throughout. He's not necessarily been the match winner or goal scorer but he's a senior player that makes a difference. For both Nunez goals tonight he ran across Nunez to bring the defender across and allow Nunez to come inside and for the second Nunez goal he drops deep to bring a defender in field and then the ball over to Nunez provides the space. It's unappreciated work but it makes a big difference vs a youth player.

If I mark him up against a 5th choice forward at other clubs he's over performin really. Who's his competition? Grealish, Smith Rowe, Barnes, Johnson? Aston Villa and Man Utd barely have a 5th choice of that level. Most others simply don't.
@paulair

Offline Le Westalero

• Main Stander
  • You can count on Jürgen Norbert Klopp
« Reply #3414 on: March 7, 2024, 11:54:39 pm »
Unlucky at the moment but will surely score again soon.

This weekend would be a great timing.  ;D ;)

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3415 on: March 8, 2024, 08:11:17 am »
done well last night
i do think his link up play could improve

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3416 on: March 8, 2024, 08:13:45 am »
Great run to drag away the defenders for one of the goals. It won't go in for him currently but he should plug away as it will happen for him. Jota went a year without scoring.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3417 on: March 8, 2024, 09:09:53 am »
He's as important as Mo Salah.

Why? Because every player is important if you want to win trophies and you can't bank on your best players being available all the time. He hasn't been in great form but all it takes is one goal.

He's really not but I like the sentiment.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3418 on: March 8, 2024, 09:19:03 am »
he's famed for his ball striking but lately it's been a little underwhelming, including his general linkup play. do feel for him, as he's essentially spent a fair amount of the season playing an "8.5" type role which hasn't worked for him.

it'll get better, as it has to an extent with Diaz recently too, who at least appears 'busy' on the pitch.
YNWA.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3419 on: March 8, 2024, 09:22:34 am »
he's famed for his ball striking but lately it's been a little underwhelming, including his general linkup play. do feel for him, as he's essentially spent a fair amount of the season playing an "8.5" type role which hasn't worked for him.

it'll get better, as it has to an extent with Diaz recently too, who at least appears 'busy' on the pitch.
I know this is Cody’s thread but come on Diaz has been a bit better than busy lately.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3420 on: March 10, 2024, 05:44:15 pm »
Such a fucking lack of application when he came on, very frustrating player

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #3421 on: March 10, 2024, 05:45:39 pm »
He's never shown anything in any of the big high intensity games to warrant coming on then imo. Pathetic performance

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #3422 on: March 10, 2024, 05:45:42 pm »
Such a fucking lack of application when he came on, very frustrating player

So disappointing - appreciate it’s difficult game to come on, but just looked like he doesn’t have the intensity to play on this team

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3423 on: March 10, 2024, 05:46:10 pm »
Think we handicapped ourselves by bringing him on in place of Nunez

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #3424 on: March 10, 2024, 05:46:38 pm »
Think we handicapped ourselves by bringing him on in place of Nunez

Agreed. Offered nothing. Again.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #3425 on: March 10, 2024, 05:47:05 pm »
This lad just isnt good enough - way too slow and his confidence is shot now too

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #3426 on: March 10, 2024, 05:47:13 pm »
He's not a Klopp-type player. It's been apparent for some time. He may do better with the next manager, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if we sold him in the summer.

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3427 on: March 10, 2024, 05:48:58 pm »
This lad just isnt good enough - way too slow and his confidence is shot now too

I never know what he’s meant to be doing when he’s on the pitch. I assumed we’d bought him as a Bobby replacement, but he doesn’t run with the ball, or get on the end of poachers goals.

Him coming on for Nunez was odd. Such a shame Jota is out.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3428 on: March 10, 2024, 05:49:14 pm »
Fucking state of you c*nts in here 😂😂😂😂

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #3429 on: March 10, 2024, 05:58:10 pm »
It's reached a point that you need to stop expecting anything not to get frustrated.

I've been a fan of him but he's having way too many anonymous performances.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3430 on: March 10, 2024, 05:59:19 pm »
If you don’t want to see a player criticised avoid their player thread after a game where they weren’t very good.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3431 on: March 10, 2024, 05:59:26 pm »
Fucking state of you c*nts in here 😂😂😂😂

He has been frustrating to watch recently but yeah bit harsh with the comments

I’ll wait and see what the new manager thinks of him. A change in style might suit him better

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3432 on: March 10, 2024, 06:01:03 pm »

I’ll wait and see what the new manager thinks of him. A change in style might suit him better
If you don’t have pace as a forward in this league you need other outstanding attributes. I just don’t see what a different manager would get out of him.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3433 on: March 10, 2024, 06:01:22 pm »
Most of our subs are down to fitness more than anything, Nunez isn't long back from an injury so no doubt we knew ahead of time he'd come off early.

I thought he did okay coming into an intense game, pretty tidy and involved but obviously a bit short of confidence right now. It's strange seeing him so off with his shooting and Nunez so lethal, when a season ago it was the opposite.

Still comfortably our 5th/6th choice forward but he's contributed a lot for someone that far down the pecking order.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #3434 on: March 10, 2024, 06:01:40 pm »

But where is his best position? Nunez is nailed on starter, Diaz too. On RW there’s Salah. He’s not good enough to displace any of them and he’s definitely not better than Jota. It might be harsh on him but I don’t think he’ll be here come next summer.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #3435 on: March 10, 2024, 06:02:24 pm »
I still think there's a player in there.

He reminds me of Downing a bit except he's obviously a better player. Downing wasn't that good but you always felt that he was playing safe and within himself and that was frustrating at the time much as it is with Gakpo.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3436 on: March 10, 2024, 06:05:11 pm »
I've been someone who has always defended Gakpo since his early days at Liverpool, but today's cameo is poor. Can't argue with that. You'd think with only 15 mins to play he would make more sprints than that but he was just jogging most of the times. Even if the ball doesn't come to you, running a bit more would scare defenders and may force an error.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3437 on: March 10, 2024, 06:06:08 pm »
I've been someone who has always defended Gakpo since his early days at Liverpool, but today's cameo is poor. Can't argue with that. You'd think with only 15 mins to play he would make more sprints than that but he was just jogging most of the times. Even if the ball doesn't come to you, running a bit more would scare defenders and may force an error.

This. Jogging around like he’s played the full 90 in a game like this is unacceptable.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3438 on: March 10, 2024, 06:08:26 pm »
Simply not good enough. Utterly abject.

Hopefully the return of Edwards means cutting out duds like this in the transfer market.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 06:09:58 pm by mattD »

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #3439 on: March 10, 2024, 06:09:42 pm »
He's below the level required coming into a game of that magnitude unfortunately.