Author Topic: Steven Gerrard: Oh, the Okey-Cokey-Cokey  (Read 12650 times)

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
Re: Steven Gerrard: Oh, the Okey-Cokey-Cokey
« Reply #40 on: July 6, 2005, 03:57:41 pm »

It was precisely the statement I wanted to hear. It was actually more than I was expecting, but I guess he'd painted himself into a corner.

As I've said all along: a 100% committed Gerrard is a big bonus.

And it does seem like that is what we are getting. I've been pretty happy reading the reports and his quotes about how he wants this to never happen again and if it's true he wants to sign a 4 year extension to his current 2 year deal.

Offline sunilo

• Anny Roader
  • He who expects nothing... is never disappointed
« Reply #41 on: July 6, 2005, 04:37:14 pm »
I remembered this from last season.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,34749.msg526884.html

I think it is an even better story now

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #42 on: July 6, 2005, 05:29:43 pm »

Can we take our affections being played with anymore? Gerrard is coming across like a man trying desperately to leave his wife for a mistress, but ends up staying out of a sense of fear and misplaced loyalty. Alternatively, maybe it is only in the 'leaving' that he realises what his heart actually contains. If it's the former, trouble still awaits; if it's the latter, then there is still some hope. But frankly, I'm getting a little cynical.

I agree with bit: he's had his head turned by a cheap London tart with peroxide hair, plastic tits and no class and has just realised what a slapper she really is... and how much he actually loves his child-hood sweetheart...

aww - isn't it sweet..

;)
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 6, 2005, 05:37:51 pm »

I agree with bit: he's had his head turned by a cheap London tart with peroxide hair, plastic tits and no class and has just realised what a slapper she really is... and how much he actually loves his child-hood sweetheart...

aww - isn't it sweet..

;)

:lmao

Offline Thommo's Beak

• Main Stander
  • Fly the flag my Red Army!
« Reply #44 on: July 6, 2005, 06:19:55 pm »
Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah. Between that and his penchant for hideous leisure-wear, Steven Gerrard has become the new Vicky Pollard.

A spectre is haunting Europe - the spectre of Liverpool

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 6, 2005, 06:32:31 pm »
Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah. Between that and his penchant for hideous leisure-wear, Steven Gerrard has become the new Vicky Pollard.

;D

Offline Woodbury

• Where's my toque eh?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 6, 2005, 07:15:04 pm »
Down in NZ it's the Hokey Pokey.... scandalous!  :o

Hokey Pokey here in Canada too , mate!  :o
Blame Canada!

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: July 6, 2005, 07:24:52 pm »

:butt

;D

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #48 on: July 6, 2005, 07:37:58 pm »

Strangely enough, also a popular icecream flavour in NZ.... the plot thickens.

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 6, 2005, 08:56:06 pm »
Hopefully Gerrard has now cleansed all this dithering from his system.  Only time will tell. 

However, given that he made some pretty grown up, humble and sensible statements I think we should all act similarly and give him the benefit of the doubt for now, just like you have to give a new player some time to settle.  Clearly Gerrard the man doesn't need to adapt to the Premiership but equally clearly, lets hope we now get the mindset of Gerrard from two seasons ago rather than the last.

That would be excellent and I suspect we will know within a few games if the old Gerrard is back, or rather the mentality of the old Gerrard with an improved player under the guidance of Benitez.

I think we will and am now very optimistic for the new season.
Confucius say, "Man who walk through door sideways going to Bangkok"

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 6, 2005, 09:04:00 pm »
i just read this on football365.com which sums up a lot of my opinion:

'Liverpool Should Have Just Let Stevie Go...'
Wednesday July 06 2005

My favourite piece of graffiti in the whole world ever was written on a wall down from the Dovecot Arts Centre in Stockton-on-Tees which for the whole of the 70's declared in large letters, brilliant and incompressible: 'Cyclops Arse Pickers'. Who are or what was a Cyclops Arse Picker? I still want to know. I may have found out.

My second favourite was written on a wall in Newcastle, possibly the City Hall, and read 'Best friends really aren't, they destroy things'. Replace 'friends' with 'players' and it can apply to footballers too. After all, Paul Simon said the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls, and who are we to argue with a tiny bald man?

Football fans have a tendency to put way too much faith in the player they see as their club's best. From an early age we put their pictures on our bedroom walls, despite the fact that they are some of the least aesthetically-pleasant creatures. We buy football boots with their signatures on - I even bought some of Alan Ball's white boots in the 70's. I don't know why because I was never even a fan and it was a fashion faux pas of the first water, but I was hypnotised by football culture into getting them.

We start to believe our club's success or failure depends wholly on one or two top players. We often rightly think that we'll be rubbish without them, but that's precisely the problem. The top players often help hide our club's other weaknesses and excuse them from strengthening in depth. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that when a club gets or develops a really massive talent, it actually gives or creates problems that they often fail to solve. It's not inevitable, but it does tend to happen.

Here's the evidence. When you've got a brilliant player in your team, the club becomes totally over-dependent on that player for success. The floor-wiping success of Thierry Henry at Arsenal has, it would seem, retarded their development or signing of other strikers in past years. And on occasion they seem to lack an alternative game plan if Henry isn't getting any success.

They've been lucky that Henry hasn't had a long-term serious injury and his run of good form has been almost unparalleled, but its only now that Arsenal seem to be waking up to their lightweight back-up and how vulnerable it can make them if Henry is injured or not on top form and they don't have different options.

Similarly, Ruud Van Nistelrooy's first two goal-filled seasons hid the fact that Man United didn't have any other really goal-rich strikers and to be fair, while he was banging them in, they didn't need anyone else - but his injury last season and lack of form exposed just how much they had relied on him to bail them out when games were tight or to turn a draw into a win. Ferguson clearly realised this a year ago but despite good signings has still not really sorted it out.

Liverpool, for what seemed like a decade, relied on Michael Owen to score the goals. In fact, for a while their only tactic seemed to be kick it long to Owen to run really fast and hope he scores. There was much gnashing of teeth when he was sold. Their greatest asset and goalscorer, gone.

But of course it meant that they had to think of another plan and oh, they won the Champions League by doing so and, you could argue, did so without a striker who is anywhere near as good as Owen. So Owen going was nothing but good for Liverpool. They didn't need what many assumed was their best player.

The exact same things were being said of Stevie Gerrard. Surely Liverpool should be building the side around him and offering him anything he wants. Well, who knows how it's being resolved? First he was going and now he's staying, maybe in an hour he'll be going if the money gets bigger. Anyone would think Stevie G is suffering from PMT with these kind of mood swings.

But everyone is replaceable. It's been proved time after time.

Chelsea in recent years have had some great players, but only won the league because they had a great team that played as a team and didn't rely too much on any one or two players to win games. And that's the crucial bit, having a great team outweighs having one or more great players many times over, as Real Madrid keep finding out.

Every club worries about losing its best players but there is a lot to be said for cashing in on them if you can. To my mind, £35million for Gerrard would be immeasurably more useful to Rafa Benitez than Gerrard himself. Gerrard is not the equal of five seven million quid players - that's the bald fact. And while him staying might seem like a good idea, I wonder if it is really in the long term. If Chelsea come back with £40million if I were Rick Parry (an unpleasant thought, I know) then I'd bite not only their hand off but their entire arm and some of the shoulder too.

It would of course be madness to sell your best players all the time if you can't replace them with someone good. But it is far from the throat-cutting end-of-the-world scenario that some fans often portray. Teams can grow complacent that their big hitters will do the job and stop working as hard.

So since Gerrard wanted and probably got even more money despite being paid massive cash already, I say, let some other sucker pay it. Take the money and run. Sure, Gerrard is good, and on occasions brilliant, but I'm not alone in thinking he goes missing in big games too often and since Liverpool have Xabi Alonso, a pretty good replacement already on the books on probably less than half the money, there is nothing to worry about at all in cashing in on your asset - especially when you can buy half a team with the money you'd get.

Players are quick to believe their own hype and exploit it. We just feed their delusions by suggesting they're irreplaceable and that the club should do anything the player wants just to keep them. In Gerrard's case he couldn't make the excuse any longer that he'd be moving "to win things", having just won the CL. He's playing for his hometown club he loves so much, so he says, so the only reason he could have been moving was for more money and when your club is already paying him upwards of 70k a week and offering 30k more, that rightly stuck in the fans' throats.

Perhaps waving him goodbye immediately without fuss or remorse was the best thing Liverpool fans could have done. It would have set an example to other players who are frankly, badge-kissing hypocrites, that we won't be conned by them anymore.

The more we pander to our best players, the more we wring our hands and get hysterical about them if it looks like their going to leave, the more we'll be held to ransom by them and their agents for money that frankly they neither need nor deserve. And in doing so, who knows, maybe become Cyclops Arse Pickers! Well, maybe.

By John Nicholson
« Last Edit: July 6, 2005, 09:07:50 pm by scottishRED »

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #51 on: July 6, 2005, 09:07:52 pm »
This subject has agitated me all day. I haven't been able to think of anything else; no matter what I do, it's still there, nagging away, drip, drip, drip. That's right, the Hokey Cokey v Hokey Pokey debate...

So, sad as I am, I've done some research. Turns out ...(drum roll) "Hokey Cokey" were the original words. (Source for Mods: The Daily Telegraph) Historically, the Hokey Cokey, was a mimicary of the Roman Catholic Mass during the 17th century, when Mass was prayed in Latin and the priest faced the altar. The words Hokey Cokey are a corruption of the words "Hoc est corpus" or "This is my Body". Basically, all the gestures involved in the Hokey Cokey exist  to ridicule the Roman Catholic Mass:. Apparently the priest conducted it with his back to the congregation and the people followed him best they could.
Arms in and out (priests arms uplifted in prayer)
Turn yourself about (priest turning to congregation to offer the consecrated host);
Knees bending (genuflection);
and so on.

Of course that could be crap.

Apparently the confusion reigns because some Yank wrote a big band version called the 'Hokey Pokey' in the 1950s. He died recently. It all went well until they tried to get him in the casket. It was when they put his right leg in the problems started...
Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 6, 2005, 09:32:28 pm »
This subject has agitated me all day. I haven't been able to think of anything else; no matter what I do, it's still there, nagging away, drip, drip, drip. That's right, the Hokey Cokey v Hokey Pokey debate...

So, sad as I am, I've done some research. Turns out ...(drum roll) "Hokey Cokey" were the original words. (Source for Mods: The Daily Telegraph) Historically, the Hokey Cokey, was a mimicary of the Roman Catholic Mass during the 17th century, when Mass was prayed in Latin and the priest faced the altar. The words Hokey Cokey are a corruption of the words "Hoc est corpus" or "This is my Body". Basically, all the gestures involved in the Hokey Cokey exist  to ridicule the Roman Catholic Mass:. Apparently the priest conducted it with his back to the congregation and the people followed him best they could.
Arms in and out (priests arms uplifted in prayer)
Turn yourself about (priest turning to congregation to offer the consecrated host);
Knees bending (genuflection);
and so on.

Of course that could be crap.

Apparently the confusion reigns because some Yank wrote a big band version called the 'Hokey Pokey' in the 1950s. He died recently. It all went well until they tried to get him in the casket. It was when they put his right leg in the problems started...

Top post!  ;D

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #53 on: July 6, 2005, 09:47:28 pm »

Top post!  ;D

Scarily well researched.. trust the yanks to mess it up (no offence to our many loyal american supporters!).

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
All Thing Must Pass......
« Reply #54 on: July 6, 2005, 09:53:44 pm »
We wer epromised an article from Tony Montana yesterday on the SG situation but as with Paul T, circumstances changed. I thought it'd be interesting to merge it with Paul's thread as there's clear parallel themes in both.

Was writing this piece this morning to put on the board tonight as i cant get on t'internet at work and it was finshed about 10 minutes after news was filtering through about the u-turn, anyway.......

Sunshine doesnt last all morning
A Cloudburst doesnt last all day
So your love has gone and left you with no warning
Its not always going to be this grey.......

So this is it, after all this time, the tears, the joy, the glorious highs
and the heart breaking lows, and the promises of never leaving each others
side, its finally over.  I find it hard to accept your gone, and I'll
always look back fondly and remember our time together.

Even though the time was right, I'll miss you always.

I've hung your old lead on a hook nailed to the back of my door, just to
remind me.

Sam Heaton
1991-2005
The most loyal servant a boy could wish for.

Oh you thought I was mourning the passing of "Stevie G"?

As far as Steven "It's looking good" Gerrard is concerned, I can honestly
say im quite surprised by the Lady Di'esque outpouring of grief from some
supporters, although the "I'll do anything to get on TV" bunch outside
Anfield were quite funny if not slightly disturbing, with some lowering
themselves to the level of  our recently "Liberated" Yankified Mancunian
cousins (There are no, i repeat, no W.U.M's in Old Trafford), by burning a
shirt bearing Gerrard "17" on the back (Why is it always old shirts they
burn, bloody cheapskates?).

Strangely, possibly due to the events of the day before, I watched the
events of the past 48 hours unfold like a voyeur, detached from any real
feeling or emotion, with an almost morbid curiosity, and it is indeed very
much like watching a car crash in a crap film in slow motion or one of
those safety video with those funny looking Crash Test Dummies (Speaking of
Dummies, oh never mind).

Personally, I think a move away suits us better than it does Steven "I'm
the man, I'm the man" Gerrard, and to be honest, i wouldn’t be at all
surprised if Rafa is even slightly relieved that Steven done his dirty work
for him, as he doesnt strike me as a "Rafa" type player, or even a
"Liverpool" type player, not for the past 12 months or so anyway.

The money being talked about for Liverpool FC to sell Steven Gerrard varies
between 35-40 million depending on what paper you read, and as good as the
he is, he isnt worth that kind of money, nowhere near in fact, but like a
few others before him, the fact he is English somehow makes him godlike,
that is until he gets caught by the tabliods being a naughty boy, and then
he's public enemy number one, and if you consider he never cost us anything
else apart from his wages, it doesnt seem like such a bad deal to sell.

Also if he was to go as opposed to signing a new contract, over 4 years you
would be saving  £20.8 million (£100,000 pw x 52 weeks x 4 years)

With that kind of money, including the transfer fee, you could expect to
get 3-4 players of similar ability, you just need to look for them, which,
as Don Rafa has proved with Xabi and Luis, he is quite capable in that
department.

Its also well documented that Rafa is strong on the "collective" aspect,
not so hot on the "individual", and it wouldn’t surprise me if this may
have been a massive concern for Rafa with Steven, whose behavior sometimes
has been astonishing, openly casting doubts about his team mates ability,
and swaggering around the pitch like he owns its, even going so far
to openly challenging the ex-manager on his team selection.

Had any of our other players gave us the run around like he has over the
last twelve months, they'd have been kicked into touch,  but because its
Steven and he IS an excellent player and more importantly is a "Scouser" ,
it was accepted/ignored, and he was treated as almost "untouchable".

Robbie Fowler had a similar cloak of protection until Gerard got a grip of
him, funny really that he came down so hard on Robbie, and yet probably
created the monster that is Steven's ego.

I suspect one of the reasons Steven may have "changed" his mind on staying,
is because you feel that Benitez wouldnt be happy with some of the above
shenanigans and may tried to address some of them, reining him in, and
Steven in turn has spat his dummy like a spoilt kid, its also plain as day
to me that Rafa doesnt trust him like he does Carra and Xabi, and Steven
doesnt like getting his nose pushed out of joint, his ego demands that has
to be the "Big Dog", and possibly even the fact in some peoples mind's  he's
no longer the best midfielder at the club, never mind in England, has upset
him somewhat, especially on what he see's as his own stomping ground.

This may sound all strangely familiar, talented player with big ego, likes
to think he's the main man, better than anyone else, the "Guv'nor", who
after having won the league got sold for big money to suit his big
reputation, and has never won a thing since, and found that his
"understudy" at the time has far surpassed anything he himself had achieved
and had become a bona fide "Legend" of his football club.

For Steven Gerrard see Paul Ince, for Roy Keane see Xabi Alonso.

*************************************NEWSFLASH*************************************

And as I type this I am hearing that "The Great One" has had ANOTHER change
of heart/mind/wallet/agent and he's now staying, personally, if we are
going to get this circus every 6 months, I think its best that he does go,
and if he is to stay, he needs to sign that contract, and things need to
change, or more specifically, HE needs to change

1.No more crying off to mates in the echo/sky sports, and no more
undermining the confidence of others.

2.He toe's the club line 100%, at all times, no exceptions.

The Club is not a vehicle for the Steven Gerrard show.

*As an exercise in futility im going to finish the piece anyway, as I feel
many of the points are still valid, as I don't feel for a second that he's
changed his mind out of "Loyalty to the club and the fans", more likely
that whatever move he was angling for (and I would imagine it being Real
Madrid, as i cant honestly imagine him wanting to come back to Anfield in a
Chelsea shirt) hasn’t materialised, I don’t trust the lad one bit, not any more,
not until the contract is signed anyway

*********************************************************************************************

Another myth is that Liverpool cannot play without Steven, this idea is
patently ridiculous, without going into the now infamous win ratio
argument, (The one that says we win more without him than with him) we have
proved in Europe especially that we can cope without him, more than cope in
fact.

It is also not beyond "Steven Gerrard M.B.E." to have the odd stinker, last season it
could be argued with a fair amount of authority that he had just as many
poor games as good games , although I feel this is more a mental than
physical issue, as he could even manage to go from the ridiculous to
sublime from one half to the next (Olympiacos and Milan anyone?).

This again goes back to Steven wanting to be "untouchable", and maybe not
being happy with Rafa challenging this approach, his arrogance was again
there for all to see when was allegedly citing the "quality" of signings as one of
his reasons for wanting out, how this approach would go down at "The
Bridge" or the The Bernebau remains to be seen.

And despite what some may think at the moment, there is only one real loser
in this, and it isn’t us, we'll recover, of that i no doubt, because we
have Rafa, and  because we are too big not bounce back, we are bigger than
Steven Gerrard and also for that matter, bigger than Chelsea.

No matter what the lad does in his career, even he wins a European Cup with
a different team,  it'll never top what happened on the 25th May 2005, when
the boyhood fan who became captain inspired a 3 goal comeback against the
best side in Europe to win the European Cup for a record Fifth time.

The only thing that could possibly equal Istanbul would to be to win the
League, with Liverpool.

Despite what ive written above, I do wish the lad well in the future, but i
fear that he will realise when it's too late what is giving up, because on
the 6th July 2005, barely 6 weeks after the best night in the modern
history of Liverpool Football Club and also if his life (His words, not
mine) we are losing Steven Gerrard, but more importantly, Steven Gerrard is
losing us.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2005, 02:15:18 pm by Rushian »
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline -Adam-

• I'm a noob - I know no better!
  • Kopite
  • GONE FISHING
Re: All Thing Must Pass......
« Reply #55 on: July 6, 2005, 09:56:37 pm »
But he's staying ???
GONE FISHING

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #56 on: July 6, 2005, 09:59:36 pm »
But he's staying ???

Yeah, i know, read the top of the bloody post, still think some things are quite valid
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline ThingOnASpring

• Legacy Fan
  • Young man! There's no need to feel down.
« Reply #57 on: July 6, 2005, 10:06:22 pm »
Think quite a lot of it is valid. Was surprised this morning to find out that he had decided to stay. Going to take a few days to get my head around it completely. At this moment I can't really say whether I am glad or not that he is staying, and whether I was particularly sad when I thought it was going. Could just be the mix of emotions over a few days. Maybe tomorrow I will be ecstatic that he is staying. Equally, maybe tomorrow I will be gutted for just that reason.
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 6, 2005, 10:16:55 pm »
I'd like to publicly apologize for my comments yesterday regarding our captain. I am still pissed off with this saga has gone on and on, but I appreciate his decency to
come out and make everything 100% clear.

Oh, and good read Paul.

:o

That would explain the comments about his agent and his snogging Xabi then...
« Last Edit: July 6, 2005, 10:20:43 pm by Redwhiteandnotblue »

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 6, 2005, 10:31:14 pm »
You're quite right, 100K a week is a ludicrous amount to pay a footballer (mind you so is 10K in my mind). Whatever wage structure we have or had, we've certainly broken it now. Any incoming "star" players (not that Rafa seems to be that keen on them, which begs the question why Stevie's been allowed to change his mind) will expect similar amounts.

To my mind, Stevie's got the penny (or substantially more in fact) and the bun.

P.S. How can anyone as indecisive as Stevie possibly ever manage a team?

Offline stewartw

• Toot toot to you two too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
« Reply #60 on: July 6, 2005, 10:59:05 pm »
(Rushian said to leave this as a lone thread as he's going to merge it later)
**************************************************************************************************
Was writing this piece this morning to put on the board tonight as i cant get on t'internet at work and it was finshed about 10 minutes after news was filtering through about the u-turn, anyway.......

Sunshine doesnt last all morning
A Cloudburst doesnt last all day
So your love has gone and left you with no warning
Its not always going to be this grey.......

So this is it, after all this time, the tears, the joy, the glorious highs
and the heart breaking lows, and the promises of never leaving each others
side, its finally over.  I find it hard to accept your gone, and I'll
always look back fondly and remember our time together.

Even though the time was right, I'll miss you always.

I've hung your old lead on a hook nailed to the back of my door, just to
remind me.

Sam Heaton
1991-2005
The most loyal servant a boy could wish for.

Oh you thought I was mourning the passing of "Stevie G"?

As far as Steven "It's looking good" Gerrard is concerned, I can honestly
say im quite surprised by the Lady Di'esque outpouring of grief from some
supporters, although the "I'll do anything to get on TV" bunch outside
Anfield were quite funny if not slightly disturbing, with some lowering
themselves to the level of  our recently "Liberated" Yankified Mancunian
cousins (There are no, i repeat, no W.U.M's in Old Trafford), by burning a
shirt bearing Gerrard "17" on the back (Why is it always old shirts they
burn, bloody cheapskates?).

Strangely, possibly due to the events of the day before, I watched the
events of the past 48 hours unfold like a voyeur, detached from any real
feeling or emotion, with an almost morbid curiosity, and it is indeed very
much like watching a car crash in a crap film in slow motion or one of
those safety video with those funny looking Crash Test Dummies (Speaking of
Dummies, oh never mind).

Personally, I think a move away suits us better than it does Steven "I'm
the man, I'm the man" Gerrard, and to be honest, i wouldn’t be at all
surprised if Rafa is even slightly relieved that Steven done his dirty work
for him, as he doesnt strike me as a "Rafa" type player, or even a
"Liverpool" type player, not for the past 12 months or so anyway.

The money being talked about for Liverpool FC to sell Steven Gerrard varies
between 35-40 million depending on what paper you read, and as good as the
he is, he isnt worth that kind of money, nowhere near in fact, but like a
few others before him, the fact he is English somehow makes him godlike,
that is until he gets caught by the tabliods being a naughty boy, and then
he's public enemy number one, and if you consider he never cost us anything
else apart from his wages, it doesnt seem like such a bad deal to sell.

Also if he was to go as opposed to signing a new contract, over 4 years you
would be saving  £20.8 million (£100,000 pw x 52 weeks x 4 years)

With that kind of money, including the transfer fee, you could expect to
get 3-4 players of similar ability, you just need to look for them, which,
as Don Rafa has proved with Xabi and Luis, he is quite capable in that
department.

Its also well documented that Rafa is strong on the "collective" aspect,
not so hot on the "individual", and it wouldn’t surprise me if this may
have been a massive concern for Rafa with Steven, whose behavior sometimes
has been astonishing, openly casting doubts about his team mates ability,
and swaggering around the pitch like he owns its, even going so far
to openly challenging the ex-manager on his team selection.

Had any of our other players gave us the run around like he has over the
last twelve months, they'd have been kicked into touch,  but because its
Steven and he IS an excellent player and more importantly is a "Scouser" ,
it was accepted/ignored, and he was treated as almost "untouchable".

Robbie Fowler had a similar cloak of protection until Gerard got a grip of
him, funny really that he came down so hard on Robbie, and yet probably
created the monster that is Steven's ego.

I suspect one of the reasons Steven may have "changed" his mind on staying,
is because you feel that Benitez wouldnt be happy with some of the above
shenanigans and may tried to address some of them, reining him in, and
Steven in turn has spat his dummy like a spoilt kid, its also plain as day
to me that Rafa doesnt trust him like he does Carra and Xabi, and Steven
doesnt like getting his nose pushed out of joint, his ego demands that has
to be the "Big Dog", and possibly even the fact in some peoples mind's  he's
no longer the best midfielder at the club, never mind in England, has upset
him somewhat, especially on what he see's as his own stomping ground.

This may sound all strangely familiar, talented player with big ego, likes
to think he's the main man, better than anyone else, the "Guv'nor", who
after having won the league got sold for big money to suit his big
reputation, and has never won a thing since, and found that his
"understudy" at the time has far surpassed anything he himself had achieved
and had become a bona fide "Legend" of his football club.

For Steven Gerrard see Paul Ince, for Roy Keane see Xabi Alonso.

*************************************NEWSFLASH*************************************

And as I type this I am hearing that "The Great One" has had ANOTHER change
of heart/mind/wallet/agent and he's now staying, personally, if we are
going to get this circus every 6 months, I think its best that he does go,
and if he is to stay, he needs to sign that contract, and things need to
change, or more specifically, HE needs to change

1.No more crying off to mates in the echo/sky sports, and no more
undermining the confidence of others.

2.He toe's the club line 100%, at all times, no exceptions.

The Club is not a vehicle for the Steven Gerrard show.

*As an exercise in futility im going to finish the piece anyway, as I feel
many of the points are still valid, as I don't feel for a second that he's
changed his mind out of "Loyalty to the club and the fans", more likely
that whatever move he was angling for (and I would imagine it being Real
Madrid, as i cant honestly imagine him wanting to come back to Anfield in a
Chelsea shirt) hasn’t materialised, I don’t trust the lad one bit, not any more,
not until the contract is signed anyway

*********************************************************************************************

Another myth is that Liverpool cannot play without Steven, this idea is
patently ridiculous, without going into the now infamous win ratio
argument, (The one that says we win more without him than with him) we have
proved in Europe especially that we can cope without him, more than cope in
fact.

It is also not beyond "Steven Gerrard M.B.E." to have the odd stinker, last season it
could be argued with a fair amount of authority that he had just as many
poor games as good games , although I feel this is more a mental than
physical issue, as he could even manage to go from the ridiculous to
sublime from one half to the next (Olympiacos and Milan anyone?).

This again goes back to Steven wanting to be "untouchable", and maybe not
being happy with Rafa challenging this approach, his arrogance was again
there for all to see when was allegedly citing the "quality" of signings as one of
his reasons for wanting out, how this approach would go down at "The
Bridge" or the The Bernebau remains to be seen.

And despite what some may think at the moment, there is only one real loser
in this, and it isn’t us, we'll recover, of that i no doubt, because we
have Rafa, and  because we are too big not bounce back, we are bigger than
Steven Gerrard and also for that matter, bigger than Chelsea.

No matter what the lad does in his career, even he wins a European Cup with
a different team,  it'll never top what happened on the 25th May 2005, when
the boyhood fan who became captain inspired a 3 goal comeback against the
best side in Europe to win the European Cup for a record Fifth time.

The only thing that could possibly equal Istanbul would to be to win the
League, with Liverpool.

Despite what ive written above, I do wish the lad well in the future, but i
fear that he will realise when it's too late what is giving up, because on
the 6th July 2005, barely 6 weeks after the best night in the modern
history of Liverpool Football Club and also if his life (His words, not
mine) we are losing Steven Gerrard, but more importantly, Steven Gerrard is
losing us.

some good points !!
But maybe its like he said in his interview and he just COULDNT bring himself to leave the club he loves

how long it has taken to make this decision he has made it, and i for one am made up! it takes a BIG man to standd up and say "yes i fucked up, i got it wrong!" but thats what hes done and fair play to him, like most fans his heart has ruled his head even if it did take a few hours for him to realise!

welcome back Stevie and let the good times roll once more!!!
That girl playing no 11 is quality, who she?  That's my daughter and she doesn't want to play for Macclesfield town girls!!

Offline piddsterturk

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #61 on: July 6, 2005, 11:05:54 pm »
We apologised, he apologised, for me that's the end of it.  I don't understand why people can't just TALK to each other and see this as the biggest problem of having agents take care of things for you.

But the fact of the matter is he's signed up for at least one more world cup season and another european championships which are the times the press really try to get into the English internationals at clubs outside the top 2.

Offline ksparks063

• Anny Roader
« Reply #62 on: July 6, 2005, 11:18:38 pm »
i dont really know what to think now, all this flip flopping has me confused., when the reports first came out at the beggining of the week that he was upset at the way discussions had been delayed i thought it was the media blowing it out of proportion.  when they said he was leaving yesterday i was awe struck, and finally when he has now repented and siad he is coming back, i feel like i have some how seen this one before... 2004???

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #63 on: July 6, 2005, 11:28:09 pm »
Tony...
Who do I trust?.....

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #64 on: July 6, 2005, 11:47:04 pm »
Yesterday, I seriously felt he was off.  Workmates mentioned him leaving to me this morning.  All I could say, was that we'd have a wedge of money to spend on other players.  I felt a lot worse than that about Stevie going, but couldn't ball my eyes out about a footy player leaving a club.  I would have felt stupid.  They probably wouldn't have understood my depth of feeling for him.  He was after all, our club captain, and a player that I loved so much.

After 7 hours hard slog at work, and a quick phone call to the boyfriend, who happened to say, 'Have you heard?'.  To which I said, 'No'.  He said, 'He didn't take long'.  I said, 'Chelsea'.  He said, 'No'.  I said, 'Real'.  He said, 'No'.  Then said, 'He's going to sign a 4 year deal'.  I was gobsmacked, and fucking delighted at the same time.  Drove home from work, whooping and hollering to myself.  Went round Sainsburys with the biggest grin on my chops.  Felt like a right wally, but couldn't contain myself.

Then saw a kiddie of about 8-9 pick up the Season Review DVD, and thought well in son.  You know it makes sense! 

Great end, to a great day.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline lfci

• Main Stander
« Reply #65 on: July 7, 2005, 12:04:07 am »
my hubby graduated from liverpool uni today so i''m v pissed but skimming (only skiming! so sorry folks) thru all the details, having asked my mates but no one can still confirm how long he's staying for, does this mean we have to go thru the same thing in 12 months time.   he;s taken a pay rise but not an extended contract but he's open to offers from celski or rm this time next year
« Last Edit: July 7, 2005, 07:31:58 pm by ibd91 »

Offline M|chael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 7, 2005, 01:57:33 am »
Yes, I agree - Was a good read Paul, cheers.

Yesterday, I was just stunned by what I heard. I posted somewhere that I had two emotions running through me. I was pleased in a sense, knowing that this speculation over Stevie's future was over. The fact that £35m would be pulled in and would possibly help with the financial stability of our summer transfer. Stevie would also finally know what it's like to leave the best club in the world and regret his decision. The other obvious emotion was deeply sad. Our captain, our beloved Stevie whose been with us since he was 8 was leaving us. The memories of last season, his fantastic goals and leading us out in Istanbul - how could be possibly leave?

I'm so greatful he's thought about his future and looking to sign that contract.

Lets get back to football now!

Offline laumatt

• Boys Pen
« Reply #67 on: July 7, 2005, 05:33:41 am »
I would think that even though the offers of 32million pounds is a hell lot of money, selling Gerrard now will (only a week away from Champs League 1st round) will destabilize the team. Since many of the players of the Euro Champ squad have shipped out, Liverpool team needs to have a few pillars to help new players adjusted quickly with Barnitez style of play.

However, once Gerrard has put pen to paper, we have 4 years to play with. Liverpool could then sell him in 2006 or 2007 when time is on our hands. By then, the new players will be adapted to Barnitez strategy. Most importantly, time must be on Liverpool's side and not on the side of the player. Gerrard leaving now will have a detrimental effect on the team ..... but a year or 2 down the road will have minimum impact.

Offline seattlered

• Main Stander
  • [this space is available]
« Reply #68 on: July 7, 2005, 05:35:24 am »
I am just glad all this over. Now I will be able to watch my CL and the Season Review DVD (hasn't arrived yet) with as much pleasure as I was going to before this whole bizzare episode.

Offline klshankman

• Boys Pen
« Reply #69 on: July 7, 2005, 04:26:45 pm »
i  love this very well said ,paul
 "I had to wonder if it was all a bid to make fans burn their 'Gerrard' shirts and pay £40 for new ones. "

Offline Bobby Fury

• Fountain of Musical Knowledge
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
« Reply #70 on: July 7, 2005, 04:42:42 pm »
Down in NZ it's the Hokey Pokey.... scandalous!  :o

The song is actually called "The Hokey Pokey".  The UK version is the modified one!

Roland Lawrence LaPrise concocted the song along with two fellow musicians in the late 1940s for the ski crowd in Sun Valley, Idaho. The group, the Ram Trio, recorded the song in 1949. In 1953, bandleader Ray Anthony bought the rights and recorded The Hokey Pokey on the B-side of another novelty record, The Bunny Hop. After the Ram Trio disbanded in the 1960s, country star Roy Acuff's publishing company bought the rights to The Hokey Pokey. Copyright 1950, Acuff-Rose Music Inc.

You put your right foot in,
You put your right foot out;
You put your right foot in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!
LFC - It's what's happening!!!