Poll

Southampton where can they end up? (But mostly Lallana.)

Top 4
31 (3.6%)
Top 6
123 (14.3%)
Top 8
371 (43.2%)
Midtable
264 (30.7%)
Relegation
70 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 858

Author Topic: Southampton FC general discussion thread  (Read 284083 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Southampton FC general discussion thread
« Reply #2680 on: November 18, 2017, 08:00:59 pm »

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2681 on: November 18, 2017, 08:46:07 pm »
Good thing is they'll be desperate to beat the real Liverpool next week.
bollocks

Offline Fazak_Red

• Seems to think everything is shite, not including his own one-liners though, of course not......
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #2682 on: November 18, 2017, 08:48:25 pm »
Pellegrino is dreadful. They should admit their mistake and get rid.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2683 on: November 18, 2017, 08:50:31 pm »
Pellegrino is dreadful. They should admit their mistake and get rid.

Its their team, most of us called it on this forum when they didn't want to get rid of VVD for £70 odd million. They're dumb as fuck for not getting that money and reinvesting it into the attack. Their system means defensively they'll always be decent, but the attack is uninspiring, its so uncreative, so what they get is games like today, or a tight 0-0/1-0 in their favour against the other shite.

They're in trouble.

Online Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2684 on: November 18, 2017, 08:51:03 pm »
You can’t criticise a team for keeping their best player, who is on a five- or six-year contract, just because they’re a poor team.
If they denied him the move again, that would be unfair by them, considering they are not performing at all.

You can. It was seriously poor businsss. An awful decision.

Their captain was making massive noises about wanting to leave, going on strike etc. Southampton needed to give their name manager a chance to build a team, improve a the team but no and now they could go down they're that bad.

50m-70m could of worked wonders for them. They need to cash in on Jan for sure or they're in trouble.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2685 on: November 18, 2017, 09:06:27 pm »
You can. It was seriously poor businsss. An awful decision.

Their captain was making massive noises about wanting to leave, going on strike etc. Southampton needed to give their name manager a chance to build a team, improve a the team but no and now they could go down they're that bad.

50m-70m could of worked wonders for them. They need to cash in on Jan for sure or they're in trouble.
Do they need to sell to buy? Didn’t their chairman express the opposite in the summer?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2686 on: November 18, 2017, 09:06:44 pm »
They're probably still hoping they can sell to anybody but us.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2687 on: November 18, 2017, 09:10:11 pm »
Think the Pellegrino being shite argument is a bit harsh. He took Alaves to a top half finish and the cup final in the best league around. The players at his disposal at Southampton are overrated.

Also, Romeu's a fucking yard dog/
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #2688 on: November 18, 2017, 09:13:26 pm »
Do they need to sell to buy? Didn’t their chairman express the opposite in the summer?
But didn't do anything about it....
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2689 on: November 18, 2017, 09:14:30 pm »
Happy to see Forster picking the ball out of the net the awful twat.

Worst keeper in the league for me. Looked all over the place today.

Online Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2690 on: November 18, 2017, 09:15:32 pm »

They wanted to make a stand. Which is fine but not at the cost of the club it isn't.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #2691 on: November 18, 2017, 09:55:03 pm »
Think the Pellegrino being shite argument is a bit harsh. He took Alaves to a top half finish and the cup final in the best league around. The players at his disposal at Southampton are overrated.

Also, Romeu's a fucking yard dog/

No way should the manager get criticism when the team is relying on Shane Long to score.

They should have sold VVD and bought a couple of strikers who actually score goals.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #2692 on: November 18, 2017, 09:56:54 pm »
Its their team, most of us called it on this forum when they didn't want to get rid of VVD for £70 odd million. They're dumb as fuck for not getting that money and reinvesting it into the attack. Their system means defensively they'll always be decent, but the attack is uninspiring, its so uncreative, so what they get is games like today, or a tight 0-0/1-0 in their favour against the other shite.

They're in trouble.

And they fired the last manager for being defensive and boring...
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #2693 on: November 18, 2017, 10:18:55 pm »
You can’t criticise a team for keeping their best player, who is on a five- or six-year contract, just because they’re a poor team.
If they denied him the move again, that would be unfair by them, considering they are not performing at all.

I can and I stand by it.  He doesn't want to be there and they could have bought some decent players with the money. But they wanted to be bitter.  The Championship could be looming for them, all because they were bitter.  Fuck them.
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2694 on: November 18, 2017, 10:27:17 pm »
They wanted to make a stand. Which is fine but not at the cost of the club it isn't.

do they have that much of a waiting list?

;D

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2695 on: November 19, 2017, 07:17:45 am »
They're probably still hoping they can sell to anybody but us.

i remembered they were hoping for a bid war but VVD coming out to say he preferred liverpool probably blew that plan out of the water unfortunately.

still if they decide to deal, they would probably be 50-60m richer which could be used to invest in a proper attacking player.

well there is still hope in january for us and them i guess.

for all the talk of them being defensively solid, I hardly saw that yesterday. Mane, Salah and Bobby were basically running rings. Are our front three that good?

Maybe they were missing Lemina but Romeu looks like a decent cover(yard dog) for DM.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2696 on: November 19, 2017, 08:27:23 am »
The saints fans really don't like Pellegrino. They want him out already.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #2697 on: November 19, 2017, 09:23:31 am »
Pyrrhic victory innit

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #2698 on: November 19, 2017, 09:25:43 am »
ex-redshite isn't he?

:lmao bitter, small time twats

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2699 on: November 19, 2017, 09:43:14 am »
They don't have a bad set of attackers. Tadic, Redmond, Boufal are a decent attacking midfield. Put a good striker ahead of them and I'm sure they'll do (midtable) well. The fact that they looked so disjointed is on the manager.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Online Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2700 on: November 19, 2017, 10:32:17 am »

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #2701 on: November 19, 2017, 10:44:02 am »
Used to be a well run club, but it seems they have gone off the path recently. Don't think the new ownership will help stabilise the situation either.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2702 on: November 19, 2017, 11:47:00 am »
They don't have a bad set of attackers. Tadic, Redmond, Boufal are a decent attacking midfield. Put a good striker ahead of them and I'm sure they'll do (midtable) well. The fact that they looked so disjointed is on the manager.
Tadic turns up once every 5 games, Boufal is gash. Long hasn't scored in nearly a year, Austin is average and Gabbiadini isn't an out and out striker.

So yeah, they need some forwards.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2703 on: November 19, 2017, 11:47:52 am »
Stupid twats - cut their nose to spite their face in the summer

100%. Hurt themselves even more than us.

I tell you what he's worth no where near £70m. I hope we look elsewhere if they still want that. Would be ridiculous.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:58:59 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2704 on: November 19, 2017, 01:21:14 pm »

Their football this season has been shit tbf.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2705 on: November 19, 2017, 01:29:21 pm »
I've revised my opinion somewhat

Forster is the worst keeper in the league by a distance

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2706 on: November 19, 2017, 01:44:37 pm »

I tell you what he's worth no where near £70m. I hope we look elsewhere if they still want that. Would be ridiculous.

I thin I'd agree. Looks pretty good, £70m good, no.

By the way did you see Lovren crunch him? Obviously doesn't want one of them there furriners taking his job.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2707 on: November 19, 2017, 01:44:49 pm »
Their football this season has been shit tbf.

It wasn't great last season either. And to be fair to Pellegrino, it's not like it's his team is it? He's only been there what, 4-5 months.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2708 on: November 19, 2017, 01:57:28 pm »
ex-redshite isn't he?

:lmao bitter, small time twats

Probably want him sacked before he sells us VVD in January. ;)

I tell you what he's worth no where near £70m.

Not right now, definitely.  Be interesting to see how they'd react if we bid £45m in a few weeks.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2709 on: November 19, 2017, 03:01:59 pm »
It wasn't great last season either. And to be fair to Pellegrino, it's not like it's his team is it? He's only been there what, 4-5 months.

And they didn't exactly give him much to work with in the summer. 2 Centre backs (one who has never played in a decent league) and a DM.
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2710 on: November 19, 2017, 03:06:33 pm »

To be fair, I never understood the idea that Pellegrino was going to be the anti-Puel. You only needed to look at how Alaves played last season to see they were both pretty similar. Safety first, low-risk style of play. Puel was sacked mainly because fans a) thought the style was boring and b) because the gap between them and the European berths had become extended so dramatically.  Like a lot of teams their season tanked in late December/early January. It probably wasn't helped by the fact Van Dijk was injured, Fonte wanted out and they didn't bother to sign any forwards until January, despite selling Mane and Pelle in the summer window. He still got them to a cup final. Yeah, they should have likely done better with in a EL group with Sparta Prague and Hapoel, but they still finished above Inter in that group.

Southampton should have taken £70m for Van Dijk: a player that had missed a ton of football and whose sale could have brought in 2-3 quality players. Instead they focused on principles, which while an honourable thing, might not count for as much if you end up slipping down the table and start panic buying in January. They've won four games in their last twenty going back to last season. And  despite needing goals, Southampton have only signed one forward (Gabbiadini) in the last three windows, while relying on talented, but massively injury-prone forwards (Austin and the now departed Rodriguez) and making Shane Long, who should be at best a third-choice in a team of Southampton's purported ambitions, as their lead striker. Meanwhile they have at least six players who can play centre-back (Stephens, Van Dijk, Yoshida, Hoedt, Bednarek and Gardos) despite having no EL football.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2711 on: November 19, 2017, 06:15:48 pm »
To be fair, I never understood the idea that Pellegrino was going to be the anti-Puel. You only needed to look at how Alaves played last season to see they were both pretty similar. Safety first, low-risk style of play. Puel was sacked mainly because fans a) thought the style was boring and b) because the gap between them and the European berths had become extended so dramatically.  Like a lot of teams their season tanked in late December/early January. It probably wasn't helped by the fact Van Dijk was injured, Fonte wanted out and they didn't bother to sign any forwards until January, despite selling Mane and Pelle in the summer window. He still got them to a cup final. Yeah, they should have likely done better with in a EL group with Sparta Prague and Hapoel, but they still finished above Inter in that group.

Southampton should have taken £70m for Van Dijk: a player that had missed a ton of football and whose sale could have brought in 2-3 quality players. Instead they focused on principles, which while an honourable thing, might not count for as much if you end up slipping down the table and start panic buying in January. They've won four games in their last twenty going back to last season. And  despite needing goals, Southampton have only signed one forward (Gabbiadini) in the last three windows, while relying on talented, but massively injury-prone forwards (Austin and the now departed Rodriguez) and making Shane Long, who should be at best a third-choice in a team of Southampton's purported ambitions, as their lead striker. Meanwhile they have at least six players who can play centre-back (Stephens, Van Dijk, Yoshida, Hoedt, Bednarek and Gardos) despite having no EL football.

Agreed. They should have taken the money and ran. Not sure they'll even get an offer close to 70 mill for him again.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #2712 on: November 19, 2017, 06:24:41 pm »

Agreed, we'd have to be insane to spend that on him
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2713 on: November 19, 2017, 06:28:12 pm »
They'd be lucky to get 30 million for him right now. In fact they should take that and piss off.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2714 on: November 19, 2017, 08:01:41 pm »
Really would be cock a hoop if this shower got the bullet this season, with the Ev and Palace.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2715 on: November 19, 2017, 08:03:46 pm »
I've a horrible feeling Liverpool will spend a ridiculous amount on VDV still, I just don't get the obsession with him. And considering the methodical and careful way the transfers have been made the last 2 seasons to benefit the team, this one would look completely out of place. Crazy money for a player who as good as he is, isn't actually that amazing.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2716 on: November 19, 2017, 08:09:14 pm »
There is no Defender currently playing the game that I would consider spending anywhere near £70m for.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2717 on: November 19, 2017, 08:12:48 pm »
There is no Defender currently playing the game that I would consider spending anywhere near £70m for.

This x 1000

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #2718 on: November 19, 2017, 08:24:40 pm »

Can't think of any defender that moved for even half that in the summer that has lived up to the price tag, can you? Keane at Everton, Bonucci at Milan, Mendy got a huge injury for City, Palace are nailed on for relegation with Sakho, Lindelof only just started his first PL game for Utd, who else was there? Sanchez at Spurs?

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2719 on: November 19, 2017, 08:47:42 pm »
Can't think of any defender that moved for even half that in the summer that has lived up to the price tag, can you? Keane at Everton, Bonucci at Milan, Mendy got a huge injury for City, Palace are nailed on for relegation with Sakho, Lindelof only just started his first PL game for Utd, who else was there? Sanchez at Spurs?

Sanchez at Spurs is supposed to be doing pretty well, isn't he? And the couple of times I saw Mendy play before his injury, he was looking really good. Don't really know about any of the others apart from Sakho, and he's too good for Palace, and a infinitely too good for an Owl-led Palace.

I sort of agree that the fees being thrown around are ridiculous, but I think we just have to suck it up and follow the market. Unless we want to carry on having Lovren as our first choice centre half for the next few years and, barring a ridiculous turnaround in his form, I don't think many of us would be on board with that. There may not be many world class defenders around, but I genuinely believe Van Dijk would be great for us. I'd happily fork over £70m for him if that's what it takes.