Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 563566 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #11520 on: April 24, 2024, 11:03:27 am »
They obviously want it sorted soon as possible, which makes sense.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #11521 on: April 24, 2024, 11:03:53 am »
Reading the first one, it clicked that Koopmeiners was key for his AZ side. Reunion on the cards?

Wouldn't be the worst place to look. Done very well in Holland/Italy and he's a big physical presence who always chips in with goals and could probably be quite versatile.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11522 on: April 24, 2024, 11:04:00 am »
Obviously has been done for a bit given the stuff yesterday and probably not a coincidence it's all starting in the media after Feyenoord's season basically ended on Sunday.

Welcome Arne!!

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11523 on: April 24, 2024, 11:04:10 am »
Melissa Reddy
@MelissaReddy_
·
2m
Liverpool have opened negotiations with Feyenoord over Arne Slot.

Sources in Holland indicate the process could move quickly with the 45-year-old keen to join the Anfield club.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11524 on: April 24, 2024, 11:04:28 am »
Any manager that looks at our current squad and thinks they can't make it work with minimal upheaval isn't worth us wasting our time with.  Arguably a more elite #6 (although Endo has done well on the whole) would be preferable for many managers and we need an extra central defender but otherwise it's a very strong and flexible squad.

I don't know if Amorim is a great coach/manager or not but us appointing a manager that plays a back three/five would seem a bit silly given that every age group side has been playing 4-3-3 for their entire time in our academy.

As far as I know Slot has Feyenoord playing a 4-3-3 but with two #6 and a #10.  I think our midfield could adapt to that easily enough although it would squeeze the chances for Szobo, Grav and Elliott.  Macca and Trent as a double #6  8)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 11:06:21 am by thaddeus »

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11525 on: April 24, 2024, 11:05:32 am »
Wouldn't be the worst place to look. Done very well in Holland/Italy and he's a big physical presence who always chips in with goals and could probably be quite versatile.

Geertruida, Koopmeiners, Weiffer all look good and we've been linked to Koopmeiners before I thought he was really good against us.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11526 on: April 24, 2024, 11:05:38 am »
Kinda expect this’ll be done by end of weekend - classic Mickey E signs in media.

The nerds will inherit the earth.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11527 on: April 24, 2024, 11:05:53 am »
Reading up on Slot, on what he's done and his personality makes me intrigued.

After Alonso, the next best thing would be 'intriguing' rather than a toxic hate figure like Mourinho or Simeone or that cuckolding ego maniac uber-twat Nagalsmann.

First of all, I want to be able to support the man. And there's no way in hell I'd give my energies to those horrible arseholes mentioned. Slot seems like the kind of man I could easily back.

I'll look forward to it and he can be assured of my support if he comes here.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11528 on: April 24, 2024, 11:06:28 am »
They obviously want it sorted soon as possible, which makes sense.

Yeah gotta make sure we get him nailed down with all the other offers from big clubs flying in for him.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #11529 on: April 24, 2024, 11:06:35 am »
The biggest problem for me is the Coach being undermined by leaks to the media. The club at the moment is an absolute joke. I mean even Edwards return was played out in the media. We can't even keep the lineup secret. If the new coach doesn't start well then we could well end up with the same situation we had with Rodgers. The clubs PR department at the moment seems to have been outsourced to the Athletic.

I mean the only reason people are talking about Slot is because it is being leaked to the favoured journalists.
It's not a 'joke'. Look around at clubs who actually are a joke - Forest, Everton, ManUtd, Chelsea and then return to your harsh assessment of the club you support. Liverpool are run pretty well by comparison. Not perfect obviously. The finances are never under the scrutiny of he authorities and the team is performing at a level that has them challenging for trophies. They also exist in a media ecosystem that is frenzied and feed off scraps for clicks and interactions. The idea that the club can always rise above such conditions is possibly fanciful. Furthermore, if it's just the odd leaky piece of news that is emerging then I would say that this isn't 'joke' territory. Also, clubs will actively use well-placed journalists to get on top of stories - either for the purposes of control or even wilful misdirection. All is fair when it comes to this type of stuff, i think.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #11530 on: April 24, 2024, 11:07:45 am »
Surely we expect a bit of a drop off and time for transition with a nw manager who has new ideas?

A great squad is one thing but it’s a big change and expecting a new manager to come in and hit the ground running like that is pretty insane given the wafer thin margin for error when it comes to winning the premier league

I agree with this fully regarding the comment I made.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11531 on: April 24, 2024, 11:08:22 am »

Isn't he pretty slow? And also more of an attacking midfielder when we are probably more in need of a DM if anyone (but still pretty stacked I. Midfield)

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11532 on: April 24, 2024, 11:08:34 am »
Will be good to get this over the line so we can start planning for next season now. The king is dead etc.

Still feels weird though. But, it is a business deal at the end of the day and emotion needs to be put to one side, for a while I guess.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11533 on: April 24, 2024, 11:08:40 am »
hope our fans give him a chance. Last 24 hrs reaction has been very poor lots of mentions of his appearance but it is a risky apointment but he deserves the backing of the fans

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11534 on: April 24, 2024, 11:08:48 am »
Also yeah this seems done now

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11535 on: April 24, 2024, 11:09:54 am »
I think some of the posts since yesterday are a great insight into how many clubs end up with a past-it Mourinho aren't they?

Don't get me wrong if it ends up being this Slot, it's a massive step up for him, risky appointment. But some would just prefer a name that they've heard of it seems. At least the nerds in charge have more of a basis for appointments than name recognition and don't just draw up a list of the names of the biggest managers. It's easy to do that, it doesn't mean they are the right fit for us.

Respect to all the people contributing with more thought out posts though. Just a few doomster ones that annoyed me. Maybe I'm a sick person but I love the excitement of the unknown. And it's not that I have complete faith in Edwards and co, but FSG have handed him the keys to make appointments like this and whoever we go for will be more thought out than a post on here with a list of names.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11536 on: April 24, 2024, 11:10:07 am »
Isn't he pretty slow? And also more of an attacking midfielder when we are probably more in need of a DM if anyone (but still pretty stacked I. Midfield)

He was faster than our entire midfield both matches, pressed our backline relentlessly.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #11537 on: April 24, 2024, 11:10:08 am »
Not sure I want Slot, he seems to prefer strikers who can score.

:P
Sorry.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #11538 on: April 24, 2024, 11:10:23 am »
Well, FSG did appoint Brendan "Three Envelopes/My biggest mentor is myself" Rodgers.
12 years ago they appointed a bloke who still has mixed reviews. Neither a disaster nor ultimately good enough. It's hardly a disgrace even if you didn't like the guy. 12 years ago though so possibly a little unsure why it would be used against an owner. i hope I am not sill judged for a decision I made at work over a decade ago...

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11539 on: April 24, 2024, 11:11:24 am »
Surely we expect a bit of a drop off and time for transition with a nw manager who has new ideas?

A great squad is one thing but it’s a big change and expecting a new manager to come in and hit the ground running like that is pretty insane given the wafer thin margin for error when it comes to winning the premier league

It has to be top 4 at the bare minimum for me, considering where Klopp left it. 

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #11540 on: April 24, 2024, 11:11:28 am »
The offer that was declined was apparently worth £5 million.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11541 on: April 24, 2024, 11:11:34 am »
12 years ago they appointed a bloke who still has mixed reviews. Neither a disaster nor ultimately good enough. It's hardly a disgrace even if you didn't like the guy. 12 years ago though so possibly a little unsure why it would be used against an owner. i hope I am not sill judged for a decision I made at work over a decade ago...

And was one slip away from winning the league, not a fan of Rodgers but he's not the example some people think of FSG being shit.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11542 on: April 24, 2024, 11:11:58 am »
Does he like strong and fast 6s?

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11543 on: April 24, 2024, 11:11:58 am »
€15m ffs  :o

Liverpool submits opening bid for Slot

https://1908.nl/artikelen/liverpool-dient-openingsbod-op-slot-in

Of course they'd be stupid to not try their luck getting as much as possible out from a big club like Liverpool. But then again I'm sure all parties wants it be respectful. This will be done shortly, if it isn't already.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11544 on: April 24, 2024, 11:12:17 am »
hope our fans give him a chance. Last 24 hrs reaction has been very poor lots of mentions of his appearance but it is a risky apointment but he deserves the backing of the fans

It's a disgrace but I expect those 'fans having a go at his appearance probably think Mourinho should be given a shot.

As far as I'm concerned, that immediately disqualifies you as a true fan let alone having an informed opinion.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11545 on: April 24, 2024, 11:12:30 am »
He was faster than our entire midfield both matches, pressed our backline relentlessly.

Fair enough. I always heard he was too slow for the league

Still don't think positionally he is someone we really need but fair enough

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11546 on: April 24, 2024, 11:13:01 am »
The offer that was declined was apparently worth £5 million.

We offer 5, they want 15, probably settle at 10

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #11547 on: April 24, 2024, 11:13:59 am »
It certainly doesn't hurt, but Isak and Guimares came to Newcastle to play under Howe and Kudus and Paqueta came to West Ham to play under Moyes. So the manager clearly isn't the be all and end all when it comes to player transfers.

I'm not sure who you'd want as the next Liverpool manager though, Al? I think there's only four managers with similar/equivalent CV's to Klopp:

Guardiola - Not coming here
Ancelotti - Not coming here
Simeone - Expensive and his pantomime villain act isn't right for us. Awful style of football
Mourinho - Toxic has been
Enrique - Is he viable? I don't know. Less than a year in and he's got PSG to a CL semi-final

I agree that LFC should get the best available manager to take over from Klopp, but who would that be in your eyes? I see lots of criticism of the Rodgers appointment but not much from you on what you think we ought to be doing as a club with nearly £600m revenue.

I also agree that part of me finds it galling that our club can get "outspent" by Arsenal. But on the other hand I find it far more satisfying that we only paid £35m for Mac Allister instead of the £100m he's clearly worth (as dictated by the market).

Just on Ancelotti….  Did we look at him before Klopp?  I don’t know why we would rule him out. He has lived over here. His record at Madrid and Milan is pretty awesome. He can work with the superstar players/they all seem happy to play for him and respect him being one of the most successful managers ever. I think he would have been a great transition for A few years.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11548 on: April 24, 2024, 11:13:59 am »
Fair enough. I always heard he was too slow for the league

Still don't think positionally he is someone we really need but fair enough

I heard the same but was very impressed with him against us, he's built like a tank as well!

He started out as a 6, seems to have moved foward this year.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11549 on: April 24, 2024, 11:14:29 am »
I'm excited, that Ajax 6-0 thrashing video highlights have sold me.

Honestly though it seems a easier transition with Slot, the players we have are suited to Slot's Football, maybe 1-2 signings Slot wants and we'll be right at it again next season.

Good to see we have a Dutch contingent and Captain already here as well.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #11550 on: April 24, 2024, 11:15:10 am »
And was one slip away from winning the league, not a fan of Rodgers but he's not the example some people think of FSG being shit.
Yeah - it's a bit 'The Internet Will Never Forget' type of thing. Someone is judged harshly for the rest of time because they once did a wrong.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #11551 on: April 24, 2024, 11:16:04 am »
When all the talk was on Alonso and Amorim I was surprised not to have heard his name mentioned more given his achievements looked so similar to Amorim's with Sporting. Now he'll end up being the manager, funny how it goes.

Quite relaxed about things given my expectations aren't particularly high anyway. His performance with Feyenoord has clearly been very good and they'll have obviously done their due diligence with him. Hopefully he's not some yes man and he gets some money to bring in some real quality players. Given what he's done in his current job I have a feeling they've brought him to develop younger players. That'd be okay but only if there's an infusion of some real top quality players to take the team forward. If we can do that the potential will obviously be there to succeed.

Not the first man I'd have gone for by any means but probably one of the better choices all things considered. Expectations should be high from the start from his/the club's view, please don't erode standards post Klopp, I can't really be arsed with that after the quality we've seen under him. If this turns out to be a failure hopefully by the time all is said and done they've found their next project manager who'll set the team going forward.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11552 on: April 24, 2024, 11:16:32 am »
It's a disgrace but I expect those 'fans having a go at his appearance probably think Mourinho should be given a shot.

As far as I'm concerned, that immediately disqualifies you as a true fan let alone having an informed opinion.

It really is distressing how many have gone on about Mourinho. The man's personality alone should discard him from being our manager. That's before you even begin to look at his mixed results.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #11553 on: April 24, 2024, 11:16:53 am »
We offer 5, they want 15, probably settle at 10

Which is the figure being bandied around recently so shouldn't be too hard

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11554 on: April 24, 2024, 11:17:15 am »
People can say what they want, that 13/14 was one of my favourite seasons even if it ended with nothing. Although there were dodgy moments and awful signings along the way, Rodgers did build that side and the journey was fun too.

For sure having Suarez helped a lot - but Rodgers got the best of him - along with Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge, and our squad has so much more class players for a talented coach to get the best of out now then it did then. Our structure is almost so much more defined and proven than it was then which caused a lot of problems.

It's really strange to hark back to it. So much has changed.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 11:19:14 am by B0151? »

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #11555 on: April 24, 2024, 11:18:13 am »
Of course they'd be stupid to not try their luck getting as much as possible out from a big club like Liverpool. But then again I'm sure all parties wants it be respectful. This will be done shortly, if it isn't already.

Same goes for Liverpool probably. The club would be stupid to just pay the asking price, but if they've identified Slot as the manager to take the club forward then he's clearly worth 15 million. It'll be a short back and forth between both parties and there'll probably be a quick agreement.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11556 on: April 24, 2024, 11:19:13 am »
No doubt whatsoever Slot is a lock for the job now (cheap pun for the Dutch speakers here).

Amorim will go to Barcelona or Chelsea.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11557 on: April 24, 2024, 11:19:31 am »
Got a feeling that Nunez is going to shine under Slot.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11558 on: April 24, 2024, 11:19:34 am »
Just on Ancelotti….  Did we look at him before Klopp?  I don’t know why we would rule him out. He has lived over here. His record at Madrid and Milan is pretty awesome. He can work with the superstar players/they all seem happy to play for him and respect him being one of the most successful managers ever. I think he would have been a great transition for A few years.

What's with your obsession in getting big names? First Mourinho (have you been in a coma the last decade because you seem to neglect his putrid record of late) and now chequebook manager Ancelotti?

Ancelotti can only work with a fantasy elite squad. Indulges the massive egos of the very best and gets the best out of the attack he has.

Aside from that, hes utterly ordinary with anything below that. Lads like Muller at Bayern (a straight up guy who knows his stuff) slated him for not even coaching the side.

He may have won record Champions Leagues but its a record that overstates his abilities. We are not Madrid and we need a smarter man in charge.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #11559 on: April 24, 2024, 11:20:24 am »
This is exciting and clearly well thought out by Edwards and co.

Michael Edwards yet again the master of deflection, as a fanbase we've been looking at Xabi and Amorim while our Football CEO has been looking at a candidate that can work with our existing squad and no doubt will be on board with what ever signings we have planned (and departures).

On TAW it was mentioned that he plays 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 (although Reddy did suggest 4-4-3, which would be truly game changing) and that he plays with an out and out striker.

Some interesting points on between game recovery and that he avoids sprints where possible to reduce the risk of injuries.

Hopefully we announce this and allow the fan base to unite fully behind Jurgen for the rest of his time here. Up the reds.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.