Author Topic: Tony Pulis has left Stoke (and Palace now)  (Read 60583 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: Tony Pulis has left Stoke
« Reply #400 on: August 14, 2014, 09:52:43 pm »
Wow. Why?

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #401 on: August 14, 2014, 09:52:48 pm »
That's him...always get his name wrong

More importantly, isn't that Markovich next to him?

Ye, he did some training with the physio yesterday.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline harrylfc

• Legacy Fan
  • XABI'S MATE
« Reply #402 on: August 14, 2014, 09:54:54 pm »
Must say that the Palace chairman comes across as a grade 'A' cock whenever he's on Slysports....Seems to love the limelight,thinks he's a bit of a wide boy...Fair play to Pulis if he's walked cos his jobs been interfered with.

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #403 on: August 14, 2014, 09:55:08 pm »
Dey dem new Moyes Boys

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #404 on: August 14, 2014, 10:01:23 pm »
Wow. Why?

(lack of) Transfers. Has to be.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #405 on: August 14, 2014, 10:03:25 pm »
Fuck!!!!! I just took two players from Palace into my FPL team.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Tony Pulis has left Stoke (and Palace now)
« Reply #406 on: August 14, 2014, 10:13:17 pm »
The way premier league teams change managers it's only a matter of time before he's loose again

Tho, the less I see of him the better

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #407 on: August 14, 2014, 10:18:51 pm »
Moyes would be the perfect choice for them. For all the shit he got at United there are few better at setting up a defensive underdog team to battle for points on a tight budget, especially on a narrow pitch like at Palace. It would be a daft for him though as it would be pretty near impossible to repeat what Pulis did with that bunch of Championship-level players. He'll probably end up at a club like Villa if he felt they would back him financially enough (which looks unlikely). There should be a vacancy at Villa Park soon enough though anyways.

Must be deflating for Kelly though. On the same day that he makes his first and only ever transfer his new manager leaves, leaving the club in turmoil and as relegation favourites.

Fuck!!!!! I just took two players from Palace into my FPL team.
Well at least you can still change it before the season starts. I was gonna have Ward but will have to rethink that now.

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #408 on: August 14, 2014, 10:37:20 pm »
Bet you it'll be Sherwood.

Though I do think Phil Brown's overdue for another crack at the PL title... ;D

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: August 14, 2014, 10:39:37 pm »
Which relegation struggler will Pulis win Premiership manager of the year this with then?

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: August 14, 2014, 10:40:14 pm »
A hero waits...

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: August 14, 2014, 10:43:34 pm »
I fancy Malky Mackay for this job.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #412 on: August 14, 2014, 10:46:22 pm »
Just hope this doesn't lead to the shitcapped c*nt doing more media work...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #413 on: August 14, 2014, 11:08:29 pm »
Seems to be a lot of conjecture and blame flying about without any hard facts. Some blaming Steve Parish (supremely punchable face, smug, arsehole whenever interviewed) and others blaming Pulis (rugby coach).
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #414 on: August 14, 2014, 11:12:02 pm »
Many saying Pulis shouldn't have left 2 days before the season, when he must have known what he had to work with the last few weeks. Palace fans looking at this a different way to what many probably thought.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2014, 11:18:09 pm »
Many saying Pulis shouldn't have left 2 days before the season, when he must have known what he had to work with the last few weeks. Palace fans looking at this a different way to what many probably thought.
They've no idea what goes on behind closed doors, none of us do. As much as I dislike Pulis' football and take the piss out of him at every opportunity, I offer him begrudging respect for what he's achieved and he doesn't strike me as the type to leave a club and its fans in the lurch over an argument or something petty. It will be something major in terms of day to day operations that have forced him to leave.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #416 on: August 14, 2014, 11:31:39 pm »

Well at least you can still change it before the season starts. I was gonna have Ward but will have to rethink that now.

I have Ward and Campbell. They'll most probably play I guess, but still it's a shocker really, didn't see that coming. Especially after the transfer window's coming to a close soon.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: August 14, 2014, 11:32:10 pm »
I don't think the football he was playing at Palace was entirely rugby football. Of course, it was based around organised defence and lots of men back, but think he had them countering with pacy players as opposed to just hoofing it up field and knocking the shite out of the other team.

Don't think you can blame Palace for not wanting to hand him the reigns to the transfers given the amount he splurged at Stoke. Don't think you can completely blame him for wanting to manage on his own terms. Just one of those things.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #418 on: August 14, 2014, 11:52:51 pm »
I don't think the football he was playing at Palace was entirely rugby football. Of course, it was based around organised defence and lots of men back, but think he had them countering with pacy players as opposed to just hoofing it up field and knocking the shite out of the other team.

Don't think you can blame Palace for not wanting to hand him the reigns to the transfers given the amount he splurged at Stoke. Don't think you can completely blame him for wanting to manage on his own terms. Just one of those things.
Good post mate. I agree that while Palace weren't the most aesthetically pleasing team to watch they weren't kicking lumps out of teams and using long-throws to score half their goals from like Stoke did under Pulis, or how West Ham play for the most part under Fat Sam most games. The fact that they had inferior players simply meant that they had to play a more defensive style and that worked for them. They actually played some pretty decent football once they were safe, the 3-1 or 3-2 win at Everton late in the season comes to mind.

He did splurge quite heavily with Stoke but Palace are a club that have a tiny budget compared to all other PL clubs, probably less than everyone in the PL apart from Burnley, and most likely less than several Championship clubs too. As you say he can understandably be annoyed that the club weren't willing to spend on players like Sigurdsson (who would have been attainable as he was already living in London) or Caulker (who was also very attainable), but at the same time the club operates on really tight finances.

I can't help but think that he should have know this before, but his frustration probably boils down to the fact that this year would have been a better time than any for the club to spend money to consolidate their PL status, especially with safety virtually assured with a manager like Pulis in charge who will grind out enough points wherever he goes. The added TV prize money earned last year surely should have allowed Palace to be more active in the window than only spending £2m on Kelly and £800k on Campbell.

Had Pulis known that they were going to be this stingy I'm sure he would have made a decision earlier in the window, so with that in mind its quite likely that the board have gone back on promises with regards to summer spending. Either way though, the club will be in a terrible position now and the cost of not spending a few million extra in this window could very realistically come back to bite them tenfold next summer if they get relegated and lose up to £100m in revenues.

On another note, the availability of Pulis as a potential replacement will surely be very tempting indeed for some early relegation straglers who might just get a bit trigger happy knowing that a manager like Pulis could come in and save their skins instead of persisting with their current managers. Fat Sam and Paul Lambert are probably feeling the noose tightening ever so slightly today with today's news I would suspect, and will be under tremendous pressure to deliver now that there is a manager available who can work miracles on a low budget.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:56:32 pm by rickardinho1 »

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #419 on: August 15, 2014, 12:02:41 am »
He didn't walk, it was mutual consent. Isn't that just modern code for fired?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #420 on: August 15, 2014, 12:35:37 am »
Pulis will be West Brom manager by christmas, unless Swansea start badly
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #421 on: August 15, 2014, 12:37:35 am »
Moyes or Sherwood. In other words, a twat will soon be taking over at Selhurst Park.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: August 15, 2014, 12:39:32 am »

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #423 on: August 15, 2014, 12:42:49 am »
Pulis will be West Brom manager by christmas, unless Swansea start badly
ooof, that would be a bitter pill for Swansea fans to swallow after all the beautiful football they've been playing in the last few years. I can't see it happening, though relegation battles throw up crazy things!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #424 on: August 15, 2014, 12:57:01 am »
ooof, that would be a bitter pill for Swansea fans to swallow after all the beautiful football they've been playing in the last few years. I can't see it happening, though relegation battles throw up crazy things!

He's Welsh (Newport), he'd love it and if they are in danger, they'll welcome him and his reputation, Swansea will be in trouble if Bony goes anywhere, possibly regardless of that.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: August 15, 2014, 01:31:00 am »
Can someone here not just give Kelly a little bit of good fortune in his career.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #426 on: August 15, 2014, 01:36:38 am »
Can someone here not just give Kelly a little bit of good fortune in his career.
Whilst I agree that it would be nice for him to have some good fortune on the pitch, putting things in perspective for a second, despite his injuries he's still earning a very good living playing football in the world's top league. Not too bad eh!

He's Welsh (Newport), he'd love it and if they are in danger, they'll welcome him and his reputation, Swansea will be in trouble if Bony goes anywhere, possibly regardless of that.
Agree, Swansea should be down in the bottom half slugging it out in what should be a pretty tight pack of teams. Selling Bony would make an already difficult task even tougher. They've brought in Siggy, but have also sold Ben Davies and maybe De Guzman and Bony as well. Gotta say I have sympathy for them because its always nice to see teams that try to play good football do well, and Pulis going there would quite surely eradicate that nice football, regardless of how successful he makes them.

Online Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #427 on: August 15, 2014, 03:02:26 am »
I wouldn't dislike him so much if it wasn't for his shit hat

Its the hat that's the deal breaker for me
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: August 15, 2014, 03:11:26 am »
Relegation candidates for me now.

At the back end of January they went on a bit of a splurge didn't they, plus signing four players this summer isn't by any means nothing. Some clubs have had to deal with much worse predicaments.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a shithouse move by Pulis so close to the season opener - if its just for that reason. There may be more drama's we're not aware of.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #429 on: August 15, 2014, 06:35:46 am »
How can anyone feel sorry for Palace, after reading back in May what they think about us as a fanbase. Take that Palace and get relegated

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #430 on: August 15, 2014, 06:52:03 am »
How can anyone feel sorry for Palace, after reading back in May what they think about us as a fanbase. Take that Palace and get relegated
What did they say about us?

I think our players will have November 23rd circled on their calendars with revenge heavily on their mind. I know I do, and I can't wait for us to hand out a real pasting to these fuckers at Selhurst to make up for that stupid draw in May.

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #431 on: August 15, 2014, 07:54:36 am »
What did they say about us?

I think our players will have November 23rd circled on their calendars with revenge heavily on their mind. I know I do, and I can't wait for us to hand out a real pasting to these fuckers at Selhurst to make up for that stupid draw in May.

Someone posted that same Palace forum link here and all they had to say about us is that we are c*nts along with bringing a banner at Anfield saying "Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing" I get that it is a football forum, but it seems all of them were match going Palace fans. Used to enjoy the atmosphere at there games, but as far as I am concerned, I would like them to relegated.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: August 15, 2014, 08:09:36 am »
Imagine being Kelly right now, faced with the prospect of being managed by David Moyes...  :sad
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #433 on: August 15, 2014, 08:30:02 am »
In all fairness David Moyes is the kind of manager the owners need right now who would listen to them.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: August 15, 2014, 09:04:24 am »
If about the budget, I have limited sympathy as I would assume he would have been told that when window opened. He also knew money was being used to upgrade the infrastructure. He also knew he was joining a DOF situation and should have been sorting it out if he was uncomfortable well before then.

Hasn't been a disaster of a transfer window, two good defenders and a capable striker but they are missing attacking quality and I can understand Pulis concern that he can't keep this squad up a second time. If transfers bigs were going on without his knowing, I can't blame Pulis for going.

Timing sucks for Palace and Pulis, having made a formidable counter-attacking side last year that clawed it's way out of trouble, did a great job last season. He will be hard to replace and managers will have to be confident they can keep this side up.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #435 on: August 15, 2014, 09:07:55 am »
So what's the third team that's going down besides Palace and West Brom?
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #436 on: August 15, 2014, 09:14:32 am »
Fair play to Pulis if he's walked cos his jobs been interfered with.

It does sound like that's the case, from the snippets that have come out in the aftermath. Parish being keen on re-signing Zaha on loan (he also spoke publically last week about this as well) but Pulis being against the move, for example. There's also rumours of Parish generally wanting both himself and Moody (who was appointed just prior to Pulis coming in) to have a say in transfers, which again, Pulis was against.

These are fundamental issues that drive at the root of the managers role and influence on the club and the squad in general and I think once you've taken a firm stance on them, it's very difficult to back down and it sounds like that's what happened.

Huge blow to Palace though - and to Martin Kelly, who watched the man who signed him walk out before the ink on his contract had even dried. It'll be incredibly unfortunate for him if a new man comes in and doesn't fancy him because at this point I really don't think he can afford another lost season.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #437 on: August 15, 2014, 09:14:51 am »

Villa.

I think Leicester might well be in there as well.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: August 15, 2014, 09:16:19 am »

Burnley
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #439 on: August 15, 2014, 09:17:12 am »
Villa or Burnley